g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec-19-2020, 1:59 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,830 Posts
Icon49 The Dead Daisies - Holy Ground

9/10 review for the soon to be released The Dead Daisies first album with Glenn

Quote:
So how does it sound? Well in short it sounds mighty fine, but then again Id be hard pushed to find anything these guys have released that didnt strike a chord! The Dead Daisies 2021 though is probably an even more muscular and heavy beast than were heard previously and some of the riffs etched in these grooves are crushing! This is an album made to be played loud (and heard live of course) and its also one that is beautifully balanced with the heaviness Ive already mentioned tempered by a little funk and soul as well as some wonderful lighter moments.

The thought that rushes through your mind with each track is as you dig in deeper is not can they better that but rather if they get anywhere close this will be a helluva record!

So a great album that quite frankly will take your breath away. Part of that comes from the no nonsense rockers that keep that foot to the floor before easing off for the two beautifully placed and rather impressive lighter moments. As track listings go its pretty much perfect.

Be sure and read the full review over @ www.therockpit.net/2020/album-review-the-dead-daisies-holy-ground

The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-22-2020, 2:39 AM

zUKUSA

...another excellent preview of "Holy Ground" with an accompanying interview with both Glenn and Doug Aldrich, courtesy Decibel Report

Quote:
Following earlier previews of ‘Unspoken’ and ‘Bustle and Flow’ the title track is the latest metal petal to be plucked from the forthcoming album and reveals an old-school riff-driven monster with Hughes soulful vocals unbelievably stronger than ever.

This is hard-rocking, groove-fueled classic rock that surely anticipates one the best albums of 2021.

When Hughes screams: “Can you feel my bass-line” on the incomparable ‘Like No Other’, there’s no doubt that he still has presence to burn. As ever, Aldrich’s lissome fretwork is a delight, yet it’s the intensity of his rhythm playing that really stands out. On ‘Bustle and Flow’ he riffs like a man possessed by the spirit of Malcolm Young and under the otherworldly spell of Jimmy Page.

The Texan strut of ‘Chosen and Justified’ invokes the mystic mojo of Gibbons, Hill and Beard, with Castronovo’s crisp, economical drumming perfectly judged. The seven-minute slow-burn album closer ‘Far Away’ is the song that comes closest to expansive style of the much-missed Black Country Communion, embellished by a stirring string arrangement and thrilling coda that finishes the album in breathtaking style.

Read the preview and more @ https://decibelreport.com/interviews-1/the-dead-daisies-holy-ground-doug-aldrich-and-glenn-hughes-revel-in-post-communion-bustle-and-flow
YouTube Video
The Following 4 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-26-2020, 2:41 AM

zUKUSA

...another review of "Holy Ground"

Quote:
...this is a band that has evolved with more energy, heaviness, catchiness, insane guitar work and plenty of groove in the music. I have time to think “Blimey, this is brilliant hard rock!” I bow my head in respect.

Read the full review @ https://roppongirocks.com/2020/12/25/album-review-the-dead-daisies-holy-ground
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-26-2020, 3:12 AM

zUKUSA

9/10 review for "Holy Ground"

Quote:
Musically, the band operates in the Champions League of hard rock and what is offered is guaranteed to leave fans of classic, 70s-influenced hard rock happy. The first big surprise of the new year and worthy of nine points.

Read the full review (in German) over @ https://darkstars.de/review/the-dead-daisies-holy-ground
Old Dec-26-2020, 3:53 AM

Germany

Thanked 1,487 Times in 849 Posts
Another 9/10 German review for "Holy Ground".

Quote:
A cracker... ...driven by Led-Zep-like riffs...

www.hardline-magazin.de/2020/12/19/the-dead-daisies-holy-ground

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-04-2021, 11:55 AM

Germany

12/15, a short, but on the dot review from German magazine Twilight.

Quote:
...Hard Rock from the 70ies, superbly converted into modern times.

www.twilight-magazin.de/reviews/cds/item/dead-daisies.html

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Jan-06-2021, 11:28 AM

Germany

Quote:
The last time I took the opportunity to wallow in the Godlike talent of singer/bassist Glenn Hughes was four years ago, when Cannock’s favourite son unleashed his maelstromic Resonate solo outing on an unsuspecting World. In four words in my review of the album, I described it as ‘a hard rock masterclass’, and I was sure, in 2016, that the then sixty-five year old marvel would be never to be able to equal Resonate in terms of sheer, dynamic, strutting heavy rock brilliance.

This really is the sort of music the man was born to sing...

I couldn't agree more. What a marvelous review of "Holy Ground" by Gavin Strickmann

I can't wait to get my hands (ears likewise) on this record

www.sentineldaily.com.au/the-dead-daisies-holy-ground-spv-steamhammer

Old Jan-20-2021, 3:39 PM

Netherlands

Icon47 Holy Ground - The Dead Daisies

Check out this 5/5 rated The Dead Daisies - Holy Ground review:
www.melodic.net/#!/album/136952

Snippets:
This album rolls hard and heavy like an avalanche but at the same time it is very well-balanced with lots of space for Glenn to express his soulful and funky influences.

As I said before, I love "Burn It Down" with Corabi and Mendoza as one of my all time fav. albums.
"Holy Ground" however lifts the band to an even higher level.
Absolutely an album without any fillers.
Holy Ground has an absolutely stunning production, delivered by Ben Grosse.

Last edited by Ariemelodic; Jan-21-2021 at 4:16 AM. Reason: Added snippets from the review
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Ariemelodic For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-25-2021, 12:08 AM

zUKUSA

...an excellent 10/10 review

Quote:
...here's the thing. Glenn Hughes, when it comes to this type of music, is what Lionel Messi is to football (maybe Billy Wright, given his allegiance?), a bit good. He's got one of the all time great voices. He plays bass like a god, and he's a rock star.

Read more @ www.maximumvolumemusic.com/review-the-dead-daisies-holy-ground-2021
Old Feb-03-2021, 6:27 PM

zUKUSA

Icon34 The Dead Daisies - Holy Ground - Classic Rock Magazine

...8/10 review from UK based, Classic Rock Magazine

Quote:
Hughes's songwriting is much in evidence. Stylistically this record sounds more like his 2016 album, "Resonate" than like any previous Daisies album.

Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
TDD_HolyGround_cr_0321.jpg  
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
2016, 2020, 2021, album, album review, albums, bass, classic rock, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, Holy Ground, music, Review, rock, solo, The Dead Daisies, track