g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May-20-2013, 7:40 AM

Germany

Icon26 Ian Paice and Pete York

...were on last Friday in Paderborn in the Heinz-Nixdorf Museum as opener of the superdrumming festival.
They played both on stage and told us anekdotes of their lifes.
Pete York who worked the last years with komedian Helge Schneider had some real jokes on board, an artist with a wonderful humor and a gentleman from heart, telling us about the friendship with Ian Paice over the years.
Ian Paice was a busy talker too answering questions from the audience like Pete York did.
I asked Ian Paice about the way of working together with classical orchestras, and he loved to tell us the difference between the "One" in a rockband and the "One" going up from a classical conductor.
And the story about the coda after the drumsolo in the royal albert hall with the concerto was funny to hear, and much more.
And hearing both drummers jammin' together with lots of swing grooves was so great. Thank you so much Ian Paice and Pete York!

greets
Sigurd
The Following 4 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Sigurd For This Useful Post:
Old May-20-2013, 8:58 AM

Netherlands

I allmost had to chance to see Pete York 2 years ago with the Jon Lord Blues experience. Unfortunately Jon was becoming very ill and the concert was, of course cancelled. The rest is sad history. R.i.p. Jon, god bless ya, your music lives on for ever.
Good that Deep Purple dedicated Now What?! to Jon.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to willem For This Useful Post:
Old May-20-2013, 2:18 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,213 Times in 689 Posts
Many thanks for your report, Sigurd. You managed to get tickets? As far as I know, the show and the workshops were sold out in no time at all.
When I found the clip yesterday, I went like 'wow, look at them'! When you watch Paicey with those luminous sticks, you can see how fast he is.

Between York and Paice, there are 134 years of super drummers on stage!

Pete York and Ian Paice at Drums n Percussion - YouTube
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
PaicePaderborn.jpg  

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old May-21-2013, 1:05 PM

Germany

Wink

Lioness, you are right, the tickets were sold out soon. I had luck and an old mate.
Thanx for the videoclip, yes the luminious sticks showed in fact the speed of Ian Paice' drumming. And when you have the chance to here the natural sound of the drumkit 'cos you're near by, you notice the enormous dynamic of his playing.
You could hear both drummers were strong influenced by the old swing drummers, Gene Krupa and others, Pete York at one time played with his hands, great!

greets
Sigurd
Old May-24-2013, 2:09 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
You could hear both drummers were strong influenced by the old swing drummers, Gene Krupa and others

Buddy Rich came to mind also. That big band style of drumming was what made Purples' sound so unique in the rock world.
Old May-26-2013, 6:30 AM

Germany

Icon26

Ian Paice is so unique, because there is so much more than to be the fastest drummer or technical brillantest drummer.
It is the feel of wonder, the astounding of a little boy so joyous to make music.
And he don't care about the drawer, if something is rock or blues or jazz or folk, he's never pretending, he just starts to play great music.
It is a magic moment when he takes seat behind his drumkit and begins to work on the hi-hat.
Trapezoid, i think the same.

greets
Sigurd

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
drums, history, now what