g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct-21-2011, 3:04 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,216 Times in 691 Posts
Icon32 Other Books

As some of you might have noticed, the book of Colin Hart 'A Hart Life' is eehhhm a bit delayed.
In the meantime have a look at this short interview with Colin

Quote:
The end of Deep Purple was a sad time to me.

Colin Hart - A celebration of his time in rock - YouTube

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-21-2011, 4:28 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,379 Times in 2,488 Posts

As we're talking other books here... one to look out for is "Best Seat In The House: Drumming In The '70s with Marriott, Frampton, & Humble Pie" by Jerry Shirley.

It's available now, but Amazon have yet to stock it... you can find out more here

Quote:
$24.99 6x9 paperback, 320 pages.

Jerry Shirley's recently published Memoir, edited by Tim and Jon Cohan. Here is a hard rock memoir – essentially an authorized bio on the endearing British rock band Humble Pie – as told from the drum throne and backstage hallways during the emerging days of the Seventies classic rock era.

In 1969, Jerry Shirley was chosen to drum in a new band led by Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton. He had just turned 17. Along with bassist Greg Ridley, and manager Dee Anthony, the Pie started a 6-year journey that stormed the US and defined Arena Rock – bigger sound, bigger contracts, and bigger parties.

Along the way Jerry meets with future legends that make for a star-studded bio and rare glimpse into the rock music industry. Written in his own voice and with a wicked musician sense of humor, Jerry details the vibrant scene that created the explosive sound of heavy rock. He explains how sessions were conducted by iconic engineers like Glyn Johns and Eddie Kramer, describes his session work with Syd Barrett and George Harrison and tells amusing tales like drum shopping with the Who's Keith Moon. What was it like to perform a sold-out show at Shea Stadium, play for 250,000 in Hyde Park, charter a private jet for tour, record the trend-setting live record at the Fillmore East (that spawned the FM radio staple “I Don't Need No Doctor”), get hyped for the stage by Dee Anthony, and deal with the drugs and excesses of this inhibitive era of rock?

This book definitely answers those questions as well as “What was it like to meet, play, record, tour, party, and fight with cult hero Steve Marriott?” No other book can cover it like this.

Old Oct-22-2011, 2:25 AM

USA

On My radar is the Iommi book, a new one I found on Evel Knievel,

www.amazon.com/Evel-High-Flying-Knievel-American-Daredevil/dp/0385527454/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319275420&sr=8-1

GH's of course and there's a highly acclaimed Bowie book out as well.

www.amazon.com/David-Bowie-Starman-Paul-Trynka/dp/0316032255/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319275465&sr=1-2

All have to be tons better than the horrible Michael Schumacher book by Christopher Hilton I bought recently and am trying to finish.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-22-2011, 12:56 PM

UK

Icon28

Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
All have to be tons better than the horrible Michael Schumacher book by Christopher Hilton I bought recently and am trying to finish.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Oct-22-2011, 2:45 PM

USA

The new -oh god I started typing Bill Gates... ahem, cough, sorry- the New Steve Jobs biography sounds good as well.

www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Walter-Isaacson/dp/1451648537

And also, at 254 pages I just hope that GH's book isn't an all too brief two hour read like Sammy Hagar's similar length book. Books like that are over in a blink of an eye!

Duff's book also sounds good and is almost 400 pages.

www.amazon.com/Its-So-Easy-other-lies/dp/145160663X
Old Oct-22-2011, 4:33 PM

Austria

Apart from Glenn's I have read quite a few music biographies this year!

Jon Hiseman's Playing The Band, and Jack Bruce's Composing Himself (from Jawbone Press ) are standouts, two of the best music biographies I have ever read!

Also a recommended read comes Graham Bond - The Mighty Shadow by Harry Shapiro, which is luckily available again via print on demand in the UK, but still very hard to find! A fantastic musician, but a very difficult character to put it mildly. You could also call him a real a**h**e!

Just started Ozzy's Trust Me, I'm Dr. Ozzy, which is hilarious!!!

Tons of other books I have read and can recommend, let alone fiction...
Well, it's part of my job, and I like it!

Cheers,
Christian

P.S. Thanks for pointing to Jerry Shirley's book, David. Will look out for that. Hasn't somebody on here mentioned Guy Pratt's book in another thread...?

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to chrisloeb For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-22-2011, 4:45 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by chrisloeb View Post

Hasn't somebody on here mentioned Guy Pratt's book in another thread...?

Yup, Christian, that was me. Another good read, especially those chapters when he was touring with Pink Floyd. And the Coverdale episode...

Will look out for the Ozzy book, must be delicious.

Cheers back at ya!

Yvonne

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Oct-27-2011, 9:35 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,379 Times in 2,488 Posts
Originally Posted by David View Post

As we're talking other books here... one to look out for is "Best Seat In The House: Drumming In The '70s with Marriott, Frampton, & Humble Pie" by Jerry Shirley.

It's available now, but Amazon have yet to stock it... you can find out more here

Here's Chad with his copy of the book

http://twitter.com/#!/JerryShirley1/status/129596361199976449/photo/1/large
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-27-2011, 2:20 PM

Germany

Nice to see so many avid readers around here!

Old Nov-13-2011, 3:31 PM

USA

Yeah Lioness! I typically have a current new book I'm reading at any given time, my reading slowed to just reading on trips a few years ago, now I'm always reading a book whether Im on a trip or not. Having Borders close has been very painful- I sometimes feel the USA is in a race to the bottom of stupidity and having almost no bookstores sure doesn't help my thoughts on that. Those afternoons spent in Borders while on cruise ships (especially in 2001 while far away from home in Puerto Rico) absolutely were life savers. I've started in on the Iommi book and it's already caused me to laugh my head off yesterday in public. Another good one I got this year was Steven Tyler's. The best one recently was Keith Richard's- almost 500 pages and never boring. I watched a very good band tear into Start Me UP last night and as I heard them butcher the chords I mmediately thought of something in the book: No bar band ever gets it right, because they don't tune their guitars to the correct Keith tuning. If I ever do this song again, I will be bringing a spare guitar or at the very least Ill tune my one guitar Keith's way! Another good one I read a couple of years ago was Don Felder's Eagles memoir.
Old Dec-11-2011, 3:01 AM

Germany

Somebody over at the Highway Star made a short review about the Colin Hart book:

www.thehighwaystar.com/thsblog/2011/12/10/a-hart-life

And here's a longer one on musicstreetjournal:

www.musicstreetjournal.com/index_book_display.cfm?id=100035

Definitely the next most-wanted item on my book list!

Old Jan-14-2012, 5:00 AM

Germany

Just discovered "DEEP PURPLE * The Illustrated Biography by Chris Charlesworth" on ebay.de for only 17.50 Euros, worldwide shipping

Highly recommended!

www.ebay.de/itm/DEEP-PURPLE-The-Illustrated-Biography-by-Chris-Charlesworth-1983-Topzustand-/290653956760#ht_500wt_970

Old Jan-14-2012, 4:55 PM

USA

It's funny back when I was 17 and read that Charlesworth book, I thought reading about the Come Taste the Band era the turmoil at the time meant the music must be awful, now it's just about my favorite Purple album. I never imagined it was as good as it turned out to be and I would rather listen to it or MK 3 than what I liked at 17-Machine Head, Perfect Strangers, Made In Japan.
Old Mar-13-2012, 3:33 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by chrisloeb View Post
Just started Ozzy's Trust Me, I'm Dr. Ozzy, which is hilarious!!!

Cheers,
Christian

Thanks again, Christian, for pointing out THAT book. I simply can't stop laughing!

---

For the German (speaking) crowd: If you like stories about Rainbow, Whitesnake 1987 and The James Gang - get the latest ROCKS magazine. All in all 16 pages!

www.rocks-magazin.de/shop/de/Einzelhefte/ROCKS-Magazin-27-02/2012-mit-CD

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Mar-14-2012, 2:08 AM

Germany

Icon26

thanx for that tipp about the "Rocks" Yvonne, i'll go and get me one.
And the "Ozzy" book seems to be interesting too, ey!
The DVD "God Bless Ozzy Osbourne" is great too, enjoy it!
A lot of material of old Sabbath days and of course all the crazy stuff, i laughed a lot.
But it shows Ozzy's other sides, he's into painting, and he's into Leonardo da Vinci art.
And the story of his father brought tears in my eye, must have been a great man. I had a wonderful father too, i know what it's like.

greets
Sigurd
Old Mar-18-2012, 7:28 AM

USA

Icon32

The website has been telling me I haven't posted in a while, so here is a short one

Currently reading Miles - The Autobiography by Miles Davis.

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Mar-18-2012, 2:41 PM

UK

Icon33

Originally Posted by Chip View Post
The website has been telling me I haven't posted in a while, so here is a short one

Currently reading Miles - The Autobiography by Miles Davis.

Chip who?

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Mar-26-2012, 11:39 PM

USA

I was just reading on a Rhoads forum. Bob Daisley is finishing his book, it apparently will be long. He's worked for Blackmore, Malmsteen, Rhoads, Ozzy, Moore, Iommi...this will be a great book!

I did get the Evel Knievel book and it was great reading. Currently reading American Icon about Alan Mullally saving Ford. It's brilliant. He's my hero. Hart life is here as well, reading on next trip to Vegas this weekend.
Old Mar-27-2012, 1:52 PM

Germany

Hart life is here as well, reading on next trip to Vegas this weekend.

I have finished it in the meantime. Would like to know your opinion about this one, John.

Old Apr-02-2012, 4:45 AM

Netherlands

Read the last couple of months

- Colin Hart - A Hart Life
- Glenn Hughes
- Tony Iommi - Iron Man
and now

My Boy by Philomena Lynott.
Originally released in 1996 (or 1995). This is an updated version with stories about the brother and sister of Phil.
Phil didn't know about their exsistence.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to tmc344 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-11-2012, 2:43 AM

Netherlands

I've almost finished My Boy by Philomena Lynott.

The beginning of the book tells the story of his mother, a bit too long for my liking. Than his troubled youth, his rise to stardom and ultimately his death.

I've read Glenn's book also , but this book (my Boy) is so much more intense. The last days before he died are devastating, it really grabbed me.

The difference is maybe that Glenn survived and Phil not. And that it's written by someone very close to him, someone who was there (almost) till the end.

Tonight I hope to finish this book.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to tmc344 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Austria

Thumbs up 'My Boy'

I read the updated version of 'My Boy' whilst on a 2-day trip to Dublin last March when I visited the Philip Lynott Exhibition for the first time.
The book had just shot to the No.1 Bestseller spot in Ireland and the city was full with advertisements of both the exhibition and the book.

A fantastic read, that I can HIGHLY recommend to anyone.

What a life story....
What a woman!

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Apr-16-2012, 2:35 AM

Netherlands

Will start to read Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors and Angels again.

I'm planning to go on a holiday to Ireland at the end of the year.
When I 'discovered' Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott I was hooked for life.
Love his music and his lyrics.
When our first son was born we called him Philippe.
Old Apr-25-2012, 6:39 PM

USA

Originally Posted by lioness View Post
I have finished it in the meantime. Would like to know your opinion about this one, John.

Finished it last weekend on a trip to Ensenada. I enjoyed it, and there were quite a few things in there I learned such as exactly which chateau Down To Earth was recorded and a pic of it- I'd never seen that before! I knew that Blackmore smashed up cheapo Strats, and it was fun reading how that was done. There were some good tidbits in it and I got the deluxe edition. I enjoyed the pics and tour faxes in the deluxe edition, it was worth spending the money for. It was a fairly quick read but worth getting . Also just got the Bowie book I mentioned here and have started in on it, it's great! Am halfway through the Ford book and every page is absolutely fantastic. Ford's stock today took another step back to respectability, so Wall Street is taking notice of the great job Mullaly is doing. I just saw mention on the runboard that JLT might be doing a book- that would also be worth getting, if and when it comes out. Not sure what book I'm getting after I'm done with Bowie. I'll find something!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-26-2012, 11:29 AM

UK

I wish I could read German as Glenns auto has my pic on the front of the German edition
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Wartypig For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-26-2012, 2:55 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by Wartypig View Post
I wish I could read German as Glenns auto has my pic on the front of the German edition

Really? Where and when did you take it?

To be honest: I prefer the original editions as the translations are very often just a big pain in the you know where...

There's a German edition of Ozzy's Doctor book. I haven't read it, however, I doubt very much that they used the Ozzy language in the translation... Much too shocking for the average German soul

Old Apr-26-2012, 6:15 PM

USA

Ah ok, here's my next book, he must have some good stories to tell and bad ones.

www.amazon.com/My-Cross-Bear-Gregg-Allman/dp/0062112031

Looks like JLT's is for real and well underway, here's some info:

www.classicrockrevisited.com/interivewJLT2012.htm
Old Apr-27-2012, 12:41 PM

UK

Originally Posted by lioness View Post
Really? Where and when did you take it?

To be honest: I prefer the original editions as the translations are very often just a big pain in the you know where...

There's a German edition of Ozzy's Doctor book. I haven't read it, however, I doubt very much that they used the Ozzy language in the translation... Much too shocking for the average German soul

It was taken at High Voltage last year
Old May-03-2012, 10:49 PM

USA

I was at Barnes and Noble last night and spontaneously bought Mick Wall's When Giants Walked the Earth Zep book. It looks really really good. Already have learned some cool things just thumbing through it. The Gregg Allman book arrived today, but it's down the street at me mum's where I get packages, no time to get it yet.
Old May-04-2012, 1:39 PM

Germany

Finished it last weekend on a trip to Ensenada. I enjoyed it, and there were quite a few things in there I learned such as exactly which chateau Down To Earth was recorded and a pic of it- I'd never seen that before! I knew that Blackmore smashed up cheapo Strats, and it was fun reading how that was done. There were some good tidbits in it and I got the deluxe edition. I enjoyed the pics and tour faxes in the deluxe edition, it was worth spending the money for. It was a fairly quick read but worth getting .

I just got the normal version. And there are still a lot of good photos in it. Like the wedding pic of Ronnie James Dio, with Colin towering above the whole party.
It's a shame, IMO, how it all ended for him. He practically gave his life to this band. Bruce Payne seems to be a real a**hole.

Next one for me will be "Rockers and Rollers" by AC/DC's Brian Johnson.

For those who will probably never go to Sydney - here's Brian, taking you around the city in a Roller. Nice idea!
AC/DC's Brian Johnson Rocks Around Sydney in a Roller - YouTube

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1969, 1983, 1987, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, album, autobiography, backing, book, classic rock, cover, glenn, guitar, jim marshall, journey, press, tour