g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct-12-2011, 9:14 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,406 Times in 2,504 Posts
Icon47 Live Over Europe - Black Country Communion

Not strictly an album... but well worth a review or two

Still awaiting my pre-order copy... but know some on the East and Central have received their's... so let's hear what you think of it... will do the same when mine arrives... hopefully in the next day or two!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-14-2011, 6:52 PM

zUKUSA

So my pre-ordered copy arrived last night and now I have had some time to watch it, here are my thoughts... feel free to share yours too

WOW! What a great video document of an outstanding band in their element and a great way to celebrate your support for what rock n' roll should sound like in 2011.

It truly captures Black Country Communion and the essence of the band, from their tour earlier this year and clearly reminds me of the two shows I was in attendance at in the very beginning of their long live run.

I won't go through the songs, as we're all familiar with them, but standouts to make mention of in this package have to include "Black Country", "Crossfire", "Faithless", "I Can See Your Spirit", "Cold", "The Outsider", "The Great Divide", "Sista Jane" and "Man In The Middle".

It truly captures 100% Glenn Hughes vocally, live in 2011, especially on "Cold", where emotion pours out of his performance at every twist and turn.

This is how a DVD package should be... hopefully in the future, we can expect another of this quality, but from Glenn solo... that would be the icing on the cake!

It's great to hear both Derek Sherinian and Jason Bonham too - they're both at the top of their game. Although live in the flesh, at least at the gigs I attended, Derek S. was low in the mix, so it's good to hear him included a whole lot more here. What can you say about Joe Bonamassa... a real talent for sure and you get to hear him loud and clear.

I really like the way they cut in between some of the songs, either with scenes from the cities their playing or interview segments. Makes for a real sense that your involved from beginning to end. Oh and the rock doc. is cool too... funny as hell in places... great still shots included in the picture gallery as well.

The only real criticisms I have are that there aren't enough crowd interaction shots and too many close-ups... it would of been good to see a more wider angle during some scenes... but neither of these detract from the overall enjoyment... just be sure to crank your volume to 11

Roll on a titled... No. 3 ...new album
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
bcc_loe_pack1.jpg   bcc_loe_pack2.jpg   bcc_loe_pack3.jpg  
The Following 5 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-15-2011, 2:40 PM

USA

Waiting on my copy to be delivered. Ordered it along with Joe Bonamassas' Albert Hall dvd-that was in stock Looking forward to re-living the BCC show!
Old Oct-15-2011, 5:12 PM

USA

your right david

i agree with your comments david-i started watching it and the first thing i thought about was seeing bcc in indianapolis glenn played and sang his ass off that night-couldnt really hear derek too well but it was ok-wish i would of payed more attention to joe but this excellent dvd can help me make up for that-and i played COLD first
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to tony g For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Germany

Thanked 1,217 Times in 692 Posts
I have it - got my DVD today from Amazon! Will make a perfect movie evening on Saturday

Excellent review from Germany:

www.whiskey-soda.de/review.php?id=29984

Quote:
It's absolutely impossible not to be thrilled by Live Over Europe.

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-20-2011, 2:26 PM

Germany

Couldn't resist, just watched the bonus DVD. Really really hot stuff

The photo of Joe sitting in a row of seats high above the stage before a gig - where was it taken? Could it be Vienna???

Loved it when Glenn apologized to Gabi because...

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Oct-20-2011, 2:51 PM

Germany

hi,
I got my dvd today.
cool stuff! glenn and the guys know to rock!

the best recordings are made in hamburg, stadtpark.
what a great location!
(I saw them live in rainy leipzig)

well done!!!
Old Oct-22-2011, 8:37 AM

Netherlands

Thumbs up

I got the dvd today, i love it.

I saw Glenn about 11 times live so i knew what to expect, but it looks like the man is like red wine 'getting better each year'.

The band plays brilliant and are on top of the scene.

BCC thanks for this masterpiece
Old Oct-22-2011, 4:39 PM

Austria

Got it - love it!

Apart from the fantastic music and playing, the DVD production (directing, graphics, picture, sound, compositoring etc.) is top notch!

Certainly ranks among the best Music DVDs out there, and I have seen a lot!

Cheers, Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to chrisloeb For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-24-2011, 11:46 AM

UK

Amazon UK emailed to say it was sent today (blu ray version) so should be here soon

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Oct-25-2011, 2:16 PM

Germany

Went to "Saturn" yesterday, our biggest media shop. Looooaaads of 'Live Over Europe' DVDs everywhere - in the news section, under 'B', in the Hard Rock section...

One vinyl of BCC still available, BCC2 is sold out

Old Oct-27-2011, 2:00 AM

USA

Icon17 Blazin' Soundtrack

Just finished watching disc #1 One word kept coming to mind - Tremendous!!! Non-stop rock yer socks off.
Old Oct-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Slovakia

Today I received a DVD - fantastic sound, incredible energy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct-28-2011, 2:51 AM

UK

BCC Live Over Europe - on CD???

Can anyone tell me if Live Over Europe is going to be available on CD (or download)? No reference to it anywhere, other than a tweet from Glenn ages ago saying there would be a CD. Got my DVD and it is a really great show. Looking forward to seeing GH in London in a couple of weeks.

JonR
Old Oct-28-2011, 9:36 AM

USA

Excellent DVD. Sound was ENORMOUS !! Whole band rocks and production is excellent. Will be a staple for some time. Invited friends over this Sunday for viewing 'party' and will then direct them to Best Buy or Amazon for purchase. Love it.
Old Oct-28-2011, 10:03 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by Jon Risby View Post
Can anyone tell me if Live Over Europe is going to be available on CD (or download)? No reference to it anywhere, other than a tweet from Glenn ages ago saying there would be a CD. Got my DVD and it is a really great show. Looking forward to seeing GH in London in a couple of weeks.

JonR

Think that was the original plan, but now as you say, it's not been seen or heard of... assume they're waiting to see how the DVD goes first... but sounds like a good question to ask when you're in London
Old Oct-28-2011, 10:34 AM

zUKUSA

Here's a good review of the DVD from Guitarist magazine
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
bcc_loe_review.jpg  
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Germany

Icon26 a perfect day got my BCC Live Over Europe onto my screen!

it's really a lovely day, about 18! degrees, sun is shining, and a lil time to relax a bit. And than had my BCC Live DVD in my hands, and all i can say first is yes i'm addicted to BCC, it is Euphoria!!
Because i was in one BCC concert this year too.
And the words Kevin Shirley told, they are so many people on the world who love the classicrock Deep Purple-Led Zep sound, but only a few bands.
This music is so unique and timeless, cause it's nothing pretending it just happens on the stage. Musicians who can really play and interact with another, so living, always right between your eyes.Real muscle and blood!
This is real strong stuff, later i'll go on talking about, i enjoy now and smile,
regards
Sigurd
Old Oct-28-2011, 11:55 PM

Sweden

Granted the below is only one person's review, but having seen the 'Black Country' clip I kind of see what he means. Do the camera angles really change like this all throughout the DVD?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LF88RG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d1_g74_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OL E&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A692WEVZ23Z1VPEN0HE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
Old Oct-29-2011, 12:31 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by danielb View Post
Granted the below is only one person's review, but having seen the 'Black Country' clip I kind of see what he means

Hmmm, so overall, what's your personal opinion of the DVD danielb? You seem to like to quote others, but what's yours? Do share I did...
Old Oct-29-2011, 2:09 AM

Sweden

Quote:
Hmmm, so overall, what's your personal opinion of the DVD danielb?

I haven't received my copy yet.

Quote:
You seem to like to quote others

What do you mean?
Old Oct-29-2011, 2:36 AM

Germany

Originally Posted by danielb View Post
Granted the below is only one person's review, but having seen the 'Black Country' clip I kind of see what he means. Do the camera angles really change like this all throughout the DVD?

Quote:
Instead of thinking "what an incredible bit of guitar playing that is", you just sit there thinking "for the love of god, keep the camera still and let me watch the same shot for more than 4 seconds, PLEASE".

Yes, I was afraid of that when I saw the trailer. Really fast takes of the cameras. What do you call it - modern times?
Apart from that I just love this DVD! And good work on the bonus one, also from Christie Goodwin, the BCC photographer

At the moment the BCC DVD is on No. 7 of the German charts

www.mix1.de/charts/musikvideotop20.htm

Old Oct-29-2011, 8:54 AM

Germany

Icon26

I'm quiet shure that a few songs are taken from Bonn, in "cold" the birds were under the roof, Glenn showing to the sky. It was magic.
The sound of the DVD is great, and the Lifesound i remember was as crystal clear.
The filming and cutting is so professional certainly, i guess no magic moment on the stage is lost.
When watchin' /inhaling the DVD i reached a very serious state of pleasure, this is really big art, and stays Rockn' Roll all the time.
I mean, if you hear Prog Rock you expect something more for your brain, and often it is a bit exhausting for me.
But here is all in the right balance, incredible good!
And Glenn's singing is outstanding, deeply touching!
Old Oct-29-2011, 9:02 AM

Germany

Originally Posted by lioness View Post
Yes, I was afraid of that when I saw the trailer. Really fast takes of the cameras. What do you call it - modern times?

Yes, I also didn't expect this DVD to be a plain filmed documentary of the live shows like hundreds of YouTube videos (mine as well). But I wasn’t afraid, I was hoping to get more. And I mean more in direction of a movie which this DVD is in my eyes. So I didn't get disappointed there and I have to admit I like the cuts.

I'm still hesitating to write a review because I'm not sure if I can get familar with all the camera takes. The use of different filters (i.e. with unsharp parts) and some other effects are new to me and when I saw it the first time on my computer I didn't like all of it that much. Watching it yesterday the second time on a bigger tv screen (knowing exactly what to expect) made me enjoy it much more and I discovered the art in it instead of expecting the usual pictures like always. Like and dislike has a lot to do with habits and I'm always trying to be open for new stuff and give it a bit of time to overcome my habits and see then if I like it or not. (It was the same with the new RHCP CD which I liked the more I listened to it and now I love it.)

So - up to now for my taste it's a great DVD (definitely a MUST HAVE) but there are too many unsharp bits in between or it takes too long sometimes until the picture is sharp. I also would have loved more pictures of interactions with the crowd and a bit less closeups.
But this is only a little criticism from my point of view regarding the whole lot which I really love. Some people don't like the snippets of the towns and/or statements of group members in between some songs, I like them because then you always know that the location changes again and which location will be shown next. They are only very short (1 or two sentences) and there are no snippets in between two or three songs filmed at the same location.

I will write a whole review shortly which might not be "objective" (is it possible to write an objective review?) but it will show my whole personal impressions. Would love to read some more impressions of others as well.

geosoulberlin's Sig:That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock...
Old Oct-30-2011, 1:11 PM

zUKUSA

Another good review...

www.music-news.com/showreview.asp?H=Black-Country-Communion&nReviewID=7519

Quote:
All over the DVD you see Glenn Hughes as the total Rock frontman, all poses and grimaces alongside his belting bass playing...

Old Oct-31-2011, 1:38 AM

UK

Although it says on the front page the bluray isn't out till November i got mine from Amazon UK last thursday!

Only had time to watch the Extras plus the first couple of songs to check the disc is ok but the quality of sound and picture is top notch.

on a 40" hd tv with a decent soundbar (no room for 5.1) it really does rock along like i remember

The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-02-2011, 9:22 AM

USA

dts

whoever has it try the DTS sound setting - its off the chain!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov-02-2011, 4:41 PM

USA

BCC Live

performance 5 Stars
sound quality 5 stars
video quality 3 stars

Can't wait to witness this live in 2012
This is a killer performance with dynamic sound and vocals by the whole band.
the video portion did not have a live feel and felt too processed, which took away some of the energy that was being generated on stage. the film has a dark look to it that resembles Song Remains the Same in some respects.
Its a good capture of BCC at the present time. Lets hope they carry on an continue taking classic rock to new heights. Glenn you still amaze me

Ken's Sig:so light a candle in the window.......
i will be coming home tonite
Old Nov-03-2011, 5:48 AM

UK

Got the chance to sit down and watch the whole thing FULL BLAST in one go last night

It certainly proves just how good all 4 of them are as live musicians and how great the songs are. absolutely no fillers or holding back anywhere by any of the band

As i said earlier, i got the BluRay and its pin sharp quality on a full hd tv.

if you havent got a decent speaker set up then trust me it just isn't the same using a flat screen tv's own built in speakers

i can recommend the Sharp HTSB250 for under £100 at Richer Sounds if you dont want all the wires and speakers involved with 5.1.

You wont believe the difference!

I agree with comments about the cameras constantly changing. i don't think any shot lasted more than 20 seconds before it changed to a different one That said, certain moments and times i think it added to the energy and power of the song in a way.

A few times i was disappointed it didnt show what Derek was playing but overall a top quality dvd and definitely worth a release as a standalone live cd.

Roll on Glenn at the Glee Club!

The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-12-2011, 12:07 PM

USA

best bass

for me the best bass part is when joe is doing his solo in song of yesterday

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1971, 2011, 2012, album, bands, bass, BCC, Black Country Communion, classic rock, cover, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, guitar, jason bonham, joe bonamassa, Live Over Europe, solo, tour, wine