g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-21-2010, 9:39 AM

USA

A note from the publishers today...
Quote:
Foruli Publications has a beautiful new website going live at the end of the month, and a new iPhone and Google Android phone app went live a few days ago. The app is available free of charge at www.road.ie/foruli and also through the iTunes store.

We will be uploading an edit of the tracks Glenn has recorded for us to the app in the next few days. This will be the first place anyone will be able to hear the tracks, and they will be there for an hour only. We will let you know the exact time in advance, but smartphone owners might want to download the app in preparation.

The app is also the only place where you can currently see the design of the art print that will be sleeved with the EP in the boxed set of Glenn’s autobiography.

We are aware that not everybody has one of these phones, so we will be doing something similar on the web in a month or so.

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Shirean For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-21-2010, 9:55 AM

Austria

Originally Posted by Shirean View Post
A note from the publishers today...

While I really appreciate being updated via DnS (Thanks! ), I was wondering whether anybody who has preordered it has received any message regarding the progress with the book (e.g. this note!) directly from FORULI yet?
(without inquiring as cameronip did)

Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jun-24-2010, 5:27 AM

UK

Icon34 Being patient

As a person with a wife and children to support, how long am i going to have to wait for the paperback version!
I am currently 48, so it could make a good retirement present at this rate
Old Jun-25-2010, 10:14 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,379 Times in 2,488 Posts
Another update from the publishers...
Quote:
The promo edit of the new Glenn Hughes tracks will be uploaded to our iPhone and Android apps at 15:00 GMT tomorrow, Saturday 26th June (7:00AM PDT / 10:00AM EDT). This will be the first place anyone will be able to hear the tracks, and they will be there for an hour only. The app is also the only place where you can currently see the design of the art print that will be sleeved with the EP in the boxed set of Glenn’s autobiography.

Glenn Hughes has made three brand new acoustic recordings for the EP which will be issued with the limited edition of his autobiography ‘Deep Purple and Beyond: The Life, Near Death, and Rebirth of a Rock Star’. The tracks are simply stunning, and we at Foruli are very excited to be releasing them.

The tracks are:

- What Is a Woman’s Role [previously recorded by Trapeze]

- Holy Man [previously recorded by Deep Purple]

- Dying to Live [previously unrecorded new song]

The iPhone/Android app is available free of charge at www.road.ie/foruli and also through the iTunes store. Smartphone owners might want to download the app in preparation.

We are aware that not everybody has one of these phones, so we will be doing something similar on the web in a month or so.

Old Jun-25-2010, 3:07 PM

USA

thanks

will be waiting david
Old Jun-26-2010, 9:27 AM

France

Have just heard Holy Man, What is A woman Role & Dying to live on the Foruli App.

Great, just 3 amazing unplugged songs Why only 3 ? We need more ....

Thanks, can't wait for the book

Crystal Karma's Sig:LOVE U ALL from France

http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Crystal Karma For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-29-2010, 2:40 PM

UK

So it is July in 2 days - are we any closer to receiving the holy grail? Looking forward to getting this some time soon, actually just saw cameronips note - would this be to include BCC then? Early 2011 is so far away!!!! But it if it arrives in April it will make a nice wedding present!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Jul-30-2010, 3:20 AM

zUKUSA

Foruli, publishers of Glenn's autobiography, have made available a preview of the tracks Glenn has recorded for his Foruli EP ‘The Life of a Rock Star’. It can be found at:

http://foruli.co.uk/music

They will also be revealing photographs of the boxed sets soon.

Quote:
Catalogue numbers FEP3 and FEP3C

Black vinyl [FEP3] sleeved in a white disco bag and accompanied by a numbered full colour offset lithographic art print on white card, all sleeved within a die cut outer bag - 400 copies, only available with the Standard Edition of 'Deep Purple and Beyond: The Life, Near Death, and Rebirth of a Rock Star'

White vinyl [FEP3C] sleeved in a black disco bag and accompanied by a hand signed & numbered hand printed screenprint - 100 copies, only available with the Deluxe Edition of 'Deep Purple and Beyond: The Life, Near Death, and Rebirth of a Rock Star'

WHAT IS A WOMAN’S ROLE?
Written by Glenn Hughes
Exclusive re-recording of the track originally released in 1972 by Trapeze on the 'You Are The Music ... We're Just The Band' LP

HOLY MAN
Written Glenn Hughes, Jon Lord & David Coverdale
Exclusive re-recording of the track originally released in 1974 by Deep Purple on the 'Stormbringer' LP

DYING TO LIVE
Written by Glenn Hughes
Exclusive new previously unrecorded track

Produced by Glenn Hughes
Recorded by Jono Brown at Word of Mouth Recording, California, June 2010

Glenn Hughes: vocals, acoustic guitars
Jono Brown: percussion on ‘What Is A Woman’s Role?'

The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Aug-04-2010, 1:23 PM

zUKUSA

To compliment the EP, The Life of a Rock Star... the publishers, Foruli, have just launched:

www.reverbnation.com/glennhughes
Old Aug-04-2010, 1:46 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,216 Times in 691 Posts
David, I followed the link. When I clicked the button "Listen to Glenn Hughes" I got a friendly thank you note, blabla. How about this one? Scroll down the page!

http://foruli.co.uk/music
Old Oct-01-2010, 2:57 PM

zUKUSA

Update from the publisher...

...the book is due for publication May 2011. First run will be the Standard and Deluxe editions... more options after that time.

http://forulipublications.com/books/deep-purple-amp-beyond/5
Old Oct-02-2010, 1:23 AM

UK

At the Robin show someone shouted "where's the frickin book"

Glenn explained the publishers wanted another 20,000 words so i guess thats the main reason for the delay.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Oct-02-2010, 3:04 AM

UK

Can't wait! Been a long time coming but patience is a virtue!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Oct-02-2010, 3:20 AM

UK

looking forward to reading the truly standard normal edition

Hopefully won't be two or three years before it is out!

Or i could nip down the road and nick Marie's copy SHHHH everyone, don't tell her
Old Oct-02-2010, 3:52 AM

UK

Originally Posted by Paul J View Post

Or i could nip down the road and nick Marie's copy SHHHH everyone, don't tell her

Hmmm - I may have to get a safe built into a secret place in my house to keep it in! I might take photo's of it and text them to you if you are lucky!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Oct-02-2010, 1:45 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
looking forward to reading the truly standard normal edition
Hopefully won't be two or three years before it is out!

Hopefully it will be out before I'm dead and gone! For me the standard editon would be 345 Euros... Help! Does anybody have a mpm - a money print machine?
Old Oct-02-2010, 3:52 PM

NewZealand

I was lucky enough to be able to sit down and chat with Glenn one on one for about half an hour after our show in 2008. It was really interesting the things he told me about the days with Purple etc. We spoke about Ritchie,Gillan,Paice etc plus Ronnie and the guys in Zeppelin. Looking really forward to reading his book!
Old Oct-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Austria

Icon31

May 2011? Oh..., good!
By that time I will probably have forgotten how much I have paid for it!

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Oct-03-2010, 2:49 PM

USA

Originally Posted by chrisloeb View Post
May 2011? Oh..., good!

Chris, if you're purchasing the 'deluxe edition'.....not to worry....I'll remind you how much!!!
Old Oct-03-2010, 4:09 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by chrisloeb View Post
May 2011? Oh..., good!

Chris, any chance you make a second purchase and donate it to my adress??? Come on, make this girl happy
Old Oct-26-2010, 8:06 AM

Norway

I've just recieved my "thank you" note from Glenn - very nice

(unfortunately the postie obviously couldn't quite understand what " PLEASE DO NOT BEND" in large red letters on the envelope meant....)

and as luck would have it the new CTTB remix/remaster arrived at the same time - looking forward to listening to that with a nice glass of red when the dogs are walked!!

PJ
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to pjoslo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-07-2011, 1:04 PM

zUKUSA

Thumbs up Latest update...

Just received word from the publisher...

Quote:
Work is progressing beautifully on Glenn’s book. We have added a large quantity of extra material, and Glenn and Joel are writing some more material to reflect the success of Black Country Communion. We are on track to ship copies in May.

Meanwhile, find attached a couple of Page spreads to tide you over 'til then
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
glenn _PAGE_1.jpg   glenn_PAGE_2.jpg  
The Following 7 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-07-2011, 2:57 PM

Canada

Looking forward to the book especially curious what birth year Glenn will admit to being born *nudge nudge wink wink*

Conrad's Sig:For ever learning.
Old Jan-07-2011, 4:03 PM

UK

Ooooh - in time for the UK tour dates then!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Jan-07-2011, 6:17 PM

USA

Thanks David.....waiting for the 'paperback edition'........IT'S ALL I CAN AFFORD!!!!
Old Feb-07-2011, 4:46 PM

USA

Icon34 Let me tell you my story...

In the past year or so, I have read a handful of biographies and autobiographies of musicians and they have varied in style and substance...Leading off was the Tommy Bolin biography, "Touched By Magic". Greg Plato conducted numerous interviews with musicians and family members and stitches them together to tell the story....And enough quotes from Tommy are included to give a bit of his presence to the proceedings. You get a lot of questions answered and a certain feel for Tommy as a human being AND a musician.

Bill Bruford's autobiography was up next and forget all the jokes about drummers; these stereotypes do not apply to Mister Bruford. He is, by turns, articulate, well read, wickedly funny and incisive....his comments on the business are required reading for all you closet Cobhams and garage skin beaters. He doesn't dish dirt in a tabloid fashion, he tells the story with a class and style...and he wrote it himself, ladies and gentlemen. I heard an interview with Bill on NPR in which he expressed surprise at the fact that so many autobiographies are ghost written....and that you won't find any tales of childhood traumas or trashed hotel rooms...

Jack Bruce is the subject of Harry Shapiro's biography and Jack has a tremendous amount of input into the book. Meticulously researched, Shapiro pulls no punches; Jack's financial missteps and drug problems are discussed at length but not in a sensationalistic manner. But you also learn much about the man and his music; I thought I knew a lot about Jack Bruce but I was wrong....so many stories and facts I was unaware of. A fabulous read.

Arthur Lee is the subject of John Einarson's biography. Now, I have always been a huge fan of Love and really looked forward to this book. And it doesn't disappoint. Arthur had been working on an autobiography up until his death in 2006 and Einarson uses Arthur's words in italics to give the reader a conversational feel as if Arthur is commenting from his easy chair. All of the surviving band members from Love as well as many colleagues, friends and fans are interviewed and this wealth of information is presented in a clear, crisp style. A lot of the myths surrounding the band have been repeated over the years...and I am abashed to admit that I was guilty of said crime in blithely repeating the story about the "donut shop bandits" in my tribute here to Arthur Lee when he passed away. John Einarson addresses and debunks most of them. I was glad that after his years in the wilderness and a prison term, that Arthur Lee finally got the recognition and acclaim that eluded him for many years.

Ginger Baker's autobiography "Hellraiser" was decades in coming and very different from Bill Bruford's book in its style and delivery (let's be honest here; Nettie Baker, his eldest daughter did the writing) in that it is very conversational as if you are sitting next to him in a pub listening to him tell his story through a cloud of cigarette smoke. His love/hate relationship with Jack Bruce is well documented and you also have to wonder how he has lived this long given his many misadventures with drugs, women and the US immigration authorities. He recounts all the bands he has played in over the years and stomps on a few toes in the process. Given his health problems over the past few years, it is a story finally told and worth reading.

Johnny Winter is the subject of Mary Lou Sullivan's biography "Raisin' Cain" and a book long in the making; she conducted interviews with Johnny and his fellow musicians over the years and encountered resistance from Johnny's late manager Teddy Slatus who was ripping Johnny off for years. After a number of years in a drug induced haze (much of which was aided and abetted by Slatus to keep Johnny in the dark about business matters) Johnny has a manager looking out for his best interests and improved health and enthusiasm for performing again. Growing up albino and legally blind in the 1950's South, Johnny and his brother Edgar overcame those obstacles and rose to stardom on the strength of their prodigious musical talent. Johnny Winter is doing now what he was born to do; he plays the blues and IS the blues.

And now we have Glenn's story....and I can't wait to read it! Glenn is a raconteur extraordinaire; I have had the pleasure of sitting across a table from Glenn and listened to him tell a story with that incredibly expressive face of his...I hope his personality comes across on the written page! We all know about how he was seemingly a casualty of the lifestyle only to come back with his talent burning brighter than ever. Now with Black Country Communion lifting off like a Saturn V and the press behind him as never before, this book couldn't be timed any better!

Bring it on!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to captmidnite1962 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-08-2011, 6:17 PM

USA

There's some great books coming out,,, another rock star is about to hit with one the same time as GH, Steven Tyler and it's said to have more info and detail than Aerosmith's group autobiography.

Steve Lukather plans to get one together but it's kind of on the back burner at the moment. That would be a great book as well!

Add to your list a must read that's recently come out:

Keith Richards: Life

I highly recommend this one as well. Despite years of drug and alcohol abuse, Keith remembers tons of little details of his life and also brings out the magic behind the music of the Rolling Stones (unlike that boring Clapton book, which seems to have none of the passion of the music). I'm halfway through Life and I'm enjoying every minute of it. It's no small book either at 500 pages. It's well written, easy to get into and chock full of fantastic stories. I love it. It's clear, Keith is no rock ape dummy, but a very intelligent musician.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-09-2011, 2:19 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
Add to your list a must read that's recently come out:
Keith Richards: Life
I highly recommend this one as well. Despite years of drug and alcohol abuse, Keith remembers tons of little details of his life and also brings out the magic behind the music of the Rolling Stones (unlike that boring Clapton book, which seems to have none of the passion of the music). I'm halfway through Life and I'm enjoying every minute of it. It's no small book either at 500 pages. It's well written, easy to get into and chock full of fantastic stories. I love it. It's clear, Keith is no rock ape dummy, but a very intelligent musician.

Keith Richards - Life (Documentary Movie) 1/6
YouTube - Keith Richards - Life (Documentary Movie) 1/6
The Stones are The Stones are The Stones! This is the band which turned me on to good rock music when I was... hmmm, many moons younger!
Old Feb-09-2011, 8:44 PM

USA

John, your statement about Clapton's book having none of the passion of the music....surely you don't mean Clapton's music! When I think of his music the last word to pop into my head would be passion...more like passive!
Old Feb-10-2011, 8:03 AM

UK

Captain! What an insightful post that was. As a general book about rock's dark side I'd add Gary Herman's Rock n Roll Baylon which you can still get second hand online. I wish someone could update it and put it out as a later edition. Anyhow that's by the by.

I have also had the priviledge of hearing Glenn chat so openly about his past in person. I would love to get involved with a DVD or even an audio book. Just being able to imbibe those anecdotes and hair curling (if I had any) moments would be a great honour. I am sure there are many of us who feel the same.

What I like about Glenn's life story is its deep integrity. We have heard the well told tales from other "rock stars" about peoples' hair being set on fire and how we laughed. Sadly this has almost branded some of our major icons with images they could have done without. But Glenn is NOT trying to play the clown prince of rock. Yes he is a very witty man with a quick sense of sardonic humour. But he knows when to turn that off too.

Photographer, Ross Halfin famously said "never meet your icons." I am sorry Ross but you didn't meet this one. Since I first set foot in that auditorium in 1976 I'd always wanted to meet this guy and chat to him about what it was like playing in world's best band at the time (ok Chuck I mean Trapeze of course ) I have often said on this forum and previous versions of it that this life needs to be shared with the world and this is about to happen.
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Keith Thompson For This Useful Post:

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
013, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1991, 1996, 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, albums, autobiography, bass, book, california jam, cover, Deep Purple, Foruli, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, Jawbone, press, tommy bolin, tour, Trapeze