g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan-14-2010, 11:03 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,379 Times in 2,488 Posts
Originally Posted by ellbery View Post
My thoughts exactly, but why put the temptation there in the first place?? but surely bootlegging can be reduced buy removing the opportunity!

Well, nothing would ever get released in that case, whether it be movies, music, books, toys... you name it!

Laws are in place to alleviate that concern, so no need to worry
Old Jan-17-2010, 8:25 AM

zUKUSA

A final reminder before time runs out...

Originally Posted by David View Post
The publishers of the Autobiography are offering a special discount on pre-orders for members of the Glenn Hughes Fan Forum.

Anyone who orders a copy of the Regular Limited Edition directly from the publisher by emailing sales@foruli.co.uk and quotes the code ‘Stormbringer’ will qualify for a discount and they will supply the book to them for 270 including worldwide shipping ie: a saving of 80 off the price it will be on publication.

There is a distinct possibility that they will include a special secret something in the set purely for people who order using this offer. There is no point in anybody asking them what it is though, as it would not be a secret then! This offer will expire at midnight GMT on Monday, January 18th, 2010. Books will be shipped in Summer 2010.

The publishers have not made this offer elsewhere - this is an exclusive offer ONLY for Glenn Hughes Fan Forum members,
so take advantage of it before it's too late!

Old Feb-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Italy

Icon30

it's about 30 years I have been waiting for this at least, a Glenn's autobiography but... all you guys out there must be very lucky to afford a 300 book! If I spent that amount for this my wife would kick me in the ass and I would not be so proud in front of my kids to be honest...
I also as many of you have been spending money in buying everything that featured Glenn on it in the last 36 years and never had to regret it.
As someone else pointed out, this "limited edition only" thing sounds like a joke... with all due respect to the man, I just wish the story of his life could be a little more "popular"!
all the best
the cat
Old Feb-28-2010, 11:36 AM

zUKUSA

As I've pointed out a couple of times in this thread - the "limited edition" books are not for everyone, but this is what is announced now (well, 3 months ago). I'm sure further announcements of alternate editions will come nearer the time of publication!
Old Mar-06-2010, 10:55 AM

USA

The recent stormbringer discount made the Regular Limited Edition a bit more reasonable and competitive with the likes of Genesis Publications. As noted previously these are limited editions(100 & 400) targeted to a niche market.
Should be neat when they post some photos of the finished book.

For now, I'll have to put this on my wish list right behind the Collector Edition of Classic Hendrix.

Oh, does anybody know the book's dimensions?

George
Old Mar-20-2010, 12:34 PM

zUKUSA

The publishers have just confirmed the tracks which will be on the EP enclosed with the Limited Edition of ‘The Life, Near Death, and Rebirth of a Rock Star: Deep Purple and Beyond’.

These are ALL NEW RECORDINGS EXCLUSIVE TO THE EP:

What Is A Woman's Role?’ (Trapeze, written by Hughes)

‘Holy Man’ (Deep Purple, written by Hughes, Coverdale, Lord)

Dying To Live(brand new, unreleased GH track, vibey and bluesy... written by Hughes... acoustic version)
Old Mar-21-2010, 2:57 AM

Finland

Icon37 limited edition

Hi,
I understand that "limited edition" is not for everyone - "limited edition" kinda already says it...but I wonder who it is for? For book collectors? Is that what Glenn Hughes fans needed?

I understand that they - who ever they are - want to sell out those "limited editions" before publishing a "fan edition"...but I also think they caused unnessessary bad blood with this decision.

They could have published a normal version at the same time - I mean - I wouldn't touch the pages of that expensive book with my dirty fingers...I'd put it in my vault or on my Glenn Hughes shrine...
So persons with "limited edition" most likely - if they care about their precious book - need a regular version too...at least the ones that are into reading books...

...just my two cents...

T
Old Mar-21-2010, 4:26 AM

UK

I think what they are doing is great and showing serious respect to Glenn. Brand new recordings of Trapeze and Purple - hell yeah! I'm so excited and cannot wait to get my hands on a copy. I will be reading it too, and playing the record.

I was taking a look at their website. Looks like they are also doing editions with Ginger Baker and Peter Hook, and have also got them recording EPs. I can't figure out if this is a high end publisher or a high end record label. Either which way I'm saving up! I'm just so pleased that they are releasing records rather than horrible digital downloads. I love records and am glad vinyl is being kept alive by people like this. There is something about handling and listening to vinyl that you just can't beat.
Old Mar-21-2010, 12:07 PM

UK

Thats awesome news David and I also will be reading the book and playing the EP - the reason I am buying it! My dealing with the publishing compamny when placing the order were A class and I expect the product to live up to the service provided too! Can't wait!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Mar-21-2010, 12:49 PM

UK

what is a woman's role? one of my favourite Trapeze songs. Sad to be missing out on this limited edition but hey what can you do!

Marie, what is a woman's role. Is it to do the cleaning, washing up, ironing??!!
Old Mar-21-2010, 2:21 PM

UK

Paul - it'll be to march up the road to your your house and drop off my ironing for you to do!!!!! Cheeky bleeder!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Mar-23-2010, 8:28 PM

USA

Icon33

How much of a discount could I get if I bought Glenn's dog-eared copy after he gets done reading it?
Old Mar-24-2010, 3:44 AM

USA

LOL!!! Todd, you beat me to the punch....my thoughts exactly!!!
Old Apr-03-2010, 10:00 AM

zUKUSA

The publishers, Foruli Publications, have just received the final text of the book from co-writer, Joel McIver...

Quote:
We have just received the text of Glenn Hughes's autobiography. It's looking good!

Old Apr-08-2010, 2:08 PM

UK

Icon34 Glenn's autobiography

I was very pleased to hear Glenn will be releasing his life story to the public, but rather disappointed that this will only be available to a few people. I am sure if the book was priced right, millions of copies would have sold and there would have been many happy fans and lots of money made in the process.

I hope that some time in the not too distant future that Glenn's life story will be available at a price that all fans can afford and that sufficient copies will be available.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Michael
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to mrj2 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-08-2010, 2:29 PM

USA

Icon32

Hi mrj2. Welcome to the site

You'll find a lot of thoughts on the book within the forum, be sure to check them out and everything else on here.

Chip

( I see David has already moved your post to the thread in question )

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Apr-08-2010, 2:32 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by mrj2 View Post
I was very pleased to hear Glenn will be releasing his life story to the public, but rather disappointed that this will only be available to a few people.

It's not available to just a few; as has been mentioned here before; what has been announced so far, are the Limited Edition's. At a later date, there will no doubt be a release for what you might call, a "regular" edition!

Please read all this carefully, there's no reason to be confused at this point By the way, welcome aboard mrj2
Old Apr-09-2010, 1:31 AM

UK

Icon34 Will there be an affordable book version for everyone

Am I correct in thinking that there is only a limited edition of Glenn's autobiography being sold. I am rather disappointed if that is the case. I think it would be better if all fans had access to his life story at a reasonable cost. I am sure there would be demand for sufficient profit to be made.

Correct me if I am wrong, will there be no affordable book for the average fan to read?

Michael
Old Apr-09-2010, 6:04 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by mrj2 View Post
Am I correct in thinking that there is only a limited edition of Glenn's autobiography being sold. I am rather disappointed if that is the case. I think it would be better if all fans had access to his life story at a reasonable cost. I am sure there would be demand for sufficient profit to be made.

Correct me if I am wrong, will there be no affordable book for the average fan to read?

Michael

See my earlier reply!
Old Apr-15-2010, 2:16 PM

Austria

110 replies - and for quite a while I have been wondering if anybody new to this thread is actually still reading through the whole of it before posting a new comment It's much easier and helps if you visit the forum more often

R E L A X, everybody

HERE'S what I posted weeks ago, and I know what I'm talking about - this is from reply no.69 fyi:

Quote:
You really have to take these FORULI Editions exactly as what they are. They are collectors pieces. Every single copy. Nothing that you buy in the shops. Like Jerome said, pieces of art.
Most buyers are not even reading them! I'm not joking here. A good part of them might even turn up on eBay and at auctions again soon after the Limited Edition has sold out.

Even big UK publishers like Penguin have produced comparable Limited hand-bound Editions in the past (e.g. The Penguin Designer Classics series - I once even owned one of these - beautiful), a little cheaper though than Foruli's since Penguin are really really big (and Foruli ain't) and they own the copyright of a comprehensive back catalogue from which they can choose almost at random.

Glenn and his co-writer are probably only licensing to Foruli for this Limited Edition, and might already be shopping the book at large Publishing Houses such as Random House - one of Random House's many imprints would be my first joice as the publisher of a mass market edition of this book.

But as I said - at this point, this is all just speculation.

Another example? Here we go:

Medeski, Martin & Wood anybody? Great band. Relased 3 (three!) new albums (CDs that is) of music last year. Yes - three. You can get them for less than 5 Euros each on eBay.
There's more to this though: A Limited Edition super heavy vinyl sized Box set, containing all three albums on CDs + exclusive Bonus tracks, a Bonus Disc with live tracks and another Bonus Disc with remixes. A full-length documentary DVD about the making of the album. 2 180g vinyl discs with further unreleased material from the sessions.
For GBP 124,99! Yes. Look HERE.

I never heard anybody complain.

Also, I rarely hear complaints about VIP packages for live shows - go ahead if you want to buy them - I can be at the same show for much less and still enjoy it! Remember Glenn's meet & greet at The Robin last June? No VIP tickets needed for this. Glenn wasn't in best health, but he signed every single item he was being asked to sign, and he had every photo taken - hundreds, probably.

Again, I am absolutely certain that this Limited Edition Book is only the first run, and a Standard Edition will follow quite swiftly. And all the words will be the same. And the audio tracks will make the rounds aswell - or is anybody seriously doubting that?

Yet as long as no deal has been signed, we won't get more information or an official confirmation. Same as with tour dates until they are officially confirmed, and same as with the new band name that is only being released when its 100% trademarked.

No more coffee today

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to chrisloeb For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-16-2010, 1:40 PM

UK

Yes I did read all the entries before I posted - hence the reason I posted what I did.

"Grant me prudence to avoid him that flattereth me, and to endure patiently him that contradicteth me."
Old Apr-16-2010, 2:08 PM

USA

Completely agree with you, Denbow.
Old Apr-16-2010, 11:51 PM

UK

I can't wait for my copy to arrive! And if I couldn't have afforded it at the time - well I would have waited for the regular edition! I'd have been chomping at the bit for it but I would have waited!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Apr-17-2010, 4:28 AM

USA

I consider myself 'a proper fan' as I have been with Glenn since the Trapeze days...but I also have to 'echo' some of Dr. Denbow's sentiments.....
Old Apr-18-2010, 8:46 AM

USA

As has been mentioned here several times.......this "limited edition" is not for everyone. It is a collectors item. If it is not for you, then wait for the "regular edition" and enjoy your purchase. As a long time GH fan and GH collector, this "limited edition" is for me and I am really looking forward to it!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to jamalamb For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-18-2010, 12:33 PM

USA

God bless you, son......
Old May-13-2010, 10:32 AM

USA

Does anybody have any updated info about Glenn's book? Thanks!
Old May-13-2010, 10:39 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by jamalamb View Post
Does anybody have any updated info about Glenn's book? Thanks!

Things are still on schedule, if that's what you're asking...
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old May-13-2010, 11:25 AM

USA

Great! Looking forward to it! Thanks, David.
Old Jun-04-2010, 4:08 AM

UK

I sent an e-mail to Foruli asking if they had a publication date for the book, as I've ordered the deluxe edition.

They have now replied and told me the book has been delayed until the first half of 2011. This is because a new archive of material has been found that will lead to an extra 15,000 words and new photographs being added.

In the meantime, they said that anyone who has pre-ordered the book will receive a letter from Glenn and possibly an additional 'little something to make up for the wait'.

I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm sure the final product will be well worth it. Guess I'll just have to be more patient.

Ian
The Following 5 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to icam26 For This Useful Post:

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
013, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1991, 1996, 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, albums, autobiography, bass, book, california jam, cover, Deep Purple, Foruli, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, Jawbone, press, tommy bolin, tour, Trapeze