g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov-28-2008, 6:14 AM

UK

Icon32 Glenn's Autobiography

Hi All.

Have found some online retailers have got Glenn's autobiography availabe to pre-order. The usual suspects amazon.co.uk and play.com. Have placed my order. Funny that they know how many pages when it is not yet finished. Reckon 250 pages or so!! Doesn't seem many to me. Could probably write that many pages about his time with DP

Paul
Old Nov-28-2008, 9:48 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,379 Times in 2,488 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
Reckon 250 pages or so!! Doesn't seem many to me. Could probably write that many pages about his time with DP

Paul

Exactly Paul. It'll be considerably longer than that! How they can list it for sale already is amazing
Old Nov-29-2008, 5:10 AM

Netherlands

How about 3 volumes of 250 pages??
Old Dec-01-2008, 5:09 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
How about 3 volumes of 250 pages??

GOOD ANSWER, ARJEN!
(Give that man a cigar!)

Old Dec-01-2008, 7:11 PM

USA

Icon33

I think it would be great if, when the book comes out, autographed copies were available through the Funk Emporium

Cheers....Todd
Old Dec-01-2008, 7:54 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by toadsterama View Post
I think it would be great if, when the book comes out, autographed copies were available through the Funk Emporium

Cheers....Todd

No need to worry on that score Todd, they'll be plenty of good things happening before, during and after the book is published
Old Dec-02-2008, 3:54 PM

USA

cool
Old Jan-27-2009, 8:17 AM

Ireland

Nothing new to a lot of us, but for some, these tales might be of interest and get you ready for what might be in the book later this year

Quote:
Glenn Hughes

He's the former Deep Purple man who held a seance with Ritchie Blackmore, was threatened by Phil Lynott, autographed John Wayne's cowboy boots, and beat Keith Moon and Ron Wood in a cocaine-snorting competition. He's Glenn Hughes, aka the Voice Of Rock, and these are his stories.

Glenn Hughes moved in exalted circles during his time as a member of Deep Purple in the mid-70s. He befriended David Bowie, who wanted him to sing on his Young Americas album. He partied with Keith Moon - Nazi uniform and all. He met "big, girthy and massive" John Wayne. He pissed alongside Stevie Wonder. He shot the breeze with Richard Burton. And he got high with Exorcist actress Linda Blair. "I was loaded on coke and the champagne was flowing. But I've never smoked a lot of pot, so my memories of those times are pretty vivid," the bassist/vocalist declares. Hughes's cocaine addiction got so serious it threatened to destroy him. But he pulled himself back from the brink and has now been clean and sober for more than 15 years. Let those vivid memories commence...

RITCHIE BLACKMORE

When I got the gig as bass player in Deep Purple I was only aged 21. We went to Clearwell Castle to work on the Burn album. Ritchie rigged up my room with hidden speakers. In the middle of the night I woke up to the sound of all these ghost noises. I was scared ****less! The next night me, Baz Marshall [Purple roadie] and Ritchie held a seance. Baz was a farmer and he'd recently lost one of his cows. We started the seance and suddenly the room echoed with the sound of a cow mooing. Only this time it wasn't a wind-up! Blackmore freaked and ran out. When it came down to it, he was a bit of a scaredy-cat. But Ritchie was the king of the prank - we all know that. Even today, at 62 years old maybe, he always carries a water pistol around with him. I have it on the greatest authority.

CAMERON CROWE

Cameron was the 15-year old kid who wrote for Rolling Stone magazine, and now he's a major movie director. When Cameron was a writer he came on Purple's Burn and Stormbringer tours. We became good friends because we both loved R&B. We'd be in my hotel suite listening to people like Kool & The Gang , The Ohio Players, Parliament, Sly & The Family Stone, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye. Of course, Cameron also saw all the shenanigans go down with the chicks and the drugs...he was privy to all that. Stillwater, the band in Cameron's film Almost Famous are popularly believed to have been based on Lynyrd Skynyrd, but there are plenty of elements of Purple in there as well.

KEITH MOON

My first band was Trapeze, and I met Keith at one of our shows in 1969. It was in Carlisle, believe it or not. Later I joined Deep Purple and in the summer of 1974 we recorded Stormbringer. We stayed at the Beverly Wilshire hotel in L.A. One evening I got a knock on my door, and it was Moony. He was with Ron Wood and Mal Evans [The Beatles' road manager]. Keith was dressed as a Nazi war officer - the jackboots, the outfit, everything. I had a bunch of coke with me and I laid out four massive lines. We had a competition to see who could snort the fastest - and I won. I did half of Keith's line as well, which I thought was quite monumental. That night we hired a limo and went all across town. For 24 hours we were completely out of our minds. And Keith stayed in the character of the Nazi the whole time.

DAVID BOWIE

I was in L.A and I got a call from David Bowie's personal assistant Corinne ['Coco' Schwab]. She said Bowie had been watching footage on TV of Purple playing the California Jam and he'd been impressed by my performance. SO I met up with him and we sat up talking all night. At the time, he was into his blue-eyed soul thing. We shared a mutual love of Luther Vandross! Later Bowie asked me to sing on his Young Americans album. Unfortunately Ritchie Blackmore was vehemently against it. He thought it would be bad for Purple's image. I was a bit pissed off about that.

I stayed friends with Bowie. We were both into blow, only Bowie's paranoia on cocaine was far greater than mine. And I thought I was pretty crazy! Bowie was very intelligent but he suffered bizarre mood swings when he was high. Our relationship was very intense in 1975 and '76. He lived at my house in Beverly Hills for a time. I was loaded on coke, so was Bowie, the champagne flowed...it was a great period. I've never smoked a lot of pot, so my memories of those times are pretty vivid.

LINDA BLAIR

Linda had been dating Tommy Bolin [Deep Purple Mk iV guitarist]. In the summer of 1976, just after Purple had broken up, some offers came in for me to re-form Trapeze and undertake a US tour. I decided to do it, even though this was a truly intense period for me. I'd broken up with my long-tem girlfriend and I was going off the rails. I was sick-thin, I'd cut my hair. I was wearing make-up and I'd been hanging out with David Bowie. David Bowie had even given me some of his clothes.

Just before a Trapeze gig in St Louis I got a call from Tommy, and he put me on the phone to Linda. She told me she was a big Purple fan, and she was getting ready to travel from L.A to New York to shoot a new movie [Exorcist II: The Heretic] with Richard Burton. She wanted to stop over in St Louis and see Trapeze. She turned up at my front door the next morning carrying an overnight bag - and a saddle. I thought: "Is this some bizarre sexual fetish?" No, it turned out that she was a keen horsewoman! Anyway, we quickly became an item. Like me, Linda was very addicted to cocaine. I was going completely off the rails, and I'd found the perfect mate to stumble along with. I was 24 and she was 15, 16, maybe 17.

We shacked up in L.A together. It's incredible to tell you this, but I broke up with her because she was doing so much blow, it was getting too intense for me to be around. We'd be driving down Sunset Boulevard, she'd have an ounce of cocaine in a bag on her lap, and she'd be doing bumps through a straw. I'm thinking: "any minute now they're going to catch us; whoever they are." I couldn't deal with it. A few weeks after we broke up she got busted. She got caught up in a deal involving major kilos of cocaine. Luckily she didn't go to jail because she was a minor. But I got out just in time. If I'd been busted with her, my life and career in America would've been over.

RICHARD BURTON

I went with Linda Blair to New York to watch her film some scenes for Exorcist II: The Heretic. Richard Burton played the priest, and I met him on set. I was in awe of the guy but I was so ****ing loaded. When I started talking to him, all I could think was: "Does he realise that I'm completely out of my mind?" I don't know whether he knew I was high but he was very gracious to me. He wasn't the drunk, obnoxious Richard Burton of legend. He was very professional. We talked about where I was born in Cannock, Staffordshire, and how a lot of British rockers were moving to the States because of the high taxes; I think we were paying 83 percent tax back then. We also spoke about food - and of course I wasn't hungry at all!

PHIL LYNOTT

In 1980 I was in L.A making record with Al Kooper called Four On The Floor. It was a disco record, to all intents and purposes. Thin Lizzy were in town and Phil, Scott [Gorham] and Gary [Moore] came down to the studio. Phil pulled out two phials - one was full of coke and the other was full of heroin. I remember thinking to myself; "They're both white, how can he tell which is which?"

Phil was a big character but he was also the kind of guy you didn't want to mess with. Shortly afterward Gary quit Lizzy in the middle of US tour. He showed up at my house and asked if I'd like to form a new band with him. It was going to be called G-Force and Sharon Osbourne was the manager. I said I'd love to - but I was still going through a difficult period, drug-wise. Gary stayed at my house while I thought about it. He needed a place to hide out. A couple of days later I got a phone call at three in the morning. It was Phil. He said: "If you've got Gary there I'm going to rip your throat out and shove it up your arse!" So there I am living in fear of this crazy Irishman coming round to knock my block off. I had to lie and say Gary wasn't there.

JOHN WAYNE

David Coverdale and I were walking through the Beverly Wilshire hotel and we spotted John Wayne in the lobby. He was a big man, girthy, massive...he completely filled up the room. We walked up to him and said we were fans of his. He asked us who we were and we told him we were in Deep Purple. He said: "Oh my daughter would be so happy to get your autographs." So David and I got John's autograph on a piece of paper and we both signed his cowboy boots so he could give them to his daughter. We still talk about that incident.

TOMMY BOLIN

Tommy and I were kindred spirits. It wasn't just the drug thing; we were very much alike as people. But I was never into heroin like Tommy. It was pretty much a private drug for him. We auditioned [Humble Pie guitarist] Clem Clempson to replace Blackmore in Purple, but that didn't work out. When Tommy walked into his audition, he had these red, blue, green and yellow feathers in his hair. He blew us away with his playing and I knew straightaway that he was the man for us. He never really got the kudos he deserved in Purple. When Tommy died [in December 1976, after a cocktail of beer, champagne, cocaine and heroin] it incensed me because six or seven people could've called an ambulance to save his life.

STEVIE WONDER

I was in the bathroom of the Record Plant in L.A taking a whiz...and in walks Stevie Wonder with his assistant. Stevie's standing next to me taking a pee! I introduced myself, ushered him into a small studio and played him You Can't Do It Right (With The One You Love) [the Stormbringer track that can only be described as Deep-Purple-play-Stevie-Wonder]. Stevie said: "Man, you've been listening to my records." He touched my face and my hair and said: "I gotta call you Leo, cos your hair is so outrageous." Later that year I picked up Circus magazine and Stevie was quoted as saying "Glenn Hughes is my favorite white singer." He said it in Ebony magazine too. That's quite an accolade, coming from your hero.

The Following 6 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Paul For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-28-2009, 9:41 AM

UK

Thanks,Paul.

Always a great read,even if you have read the clips before!

Ben's Sig:

Cheers,
Ben !!
Old Jan-28-2009, 12:05 PM

UK

Got a few pics if he'd like to use them...
Old Jan-28-2009, 6:33 PM

USA

Icon32

Here are a couple of Rolling Stone articles that pertain to Paul's post above.

The first is from Issue 1000 - May 18, 2006. It's a re-print of an article about Bowie from 1976 by Cameron Crowe. The part about Glenn starts at the very bottom of the second column.

The second is from Issue 851 - Oct. 12, 2000. Just a portion of an article about Cameron Crowe where he talks about the same situation in the Bowie article.
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
RS051806.jpg   RS051806-2.jpg  

Chip's Sig:Chip
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-11-2009, 7:52 AM

USA

Thanks for the post...since I'm new to the site, I've haven't read these before. Glenn's autobiography should be quite a story, indeed!
Old Apr-19-2009, 4:47 AM

USA

thx. good read

can't wait till the autobiography comes out
Old Apr-25-2009, 11:35 AM

UK

Thank You!

I'm new here too and hadn't read most of that stuff, so I've just spent an interesting ten minutes.

I was going to say that maybe the autobiography was going to be short because Glenn had forgotten a lot of it - but I see that he says that because he didn't do a lot of weed his memory's ok!

Anyway, really looking forward to it when it comes out.

Be interesting to compare Glenn's impressions of Blackmore with those of Dio when his book comes out too.
Old May-01-2009, 8:29 AM

zUKUSA

It's real close to the drafting stage now, so won't be too long until it's ready for publication
Old May-02-2009, 9:05 AM

USA

David,
I certainly hope that Glenn realizes that: "Search is his friend, too."

If Glenn wants to put more recent photographs from his solo career
in a center-of-the-book-insert, all he has to do is go through the GH Photo Gallery,
located --> HERE. There are an awful lot of professional quality photos, taken by the fans.

Oh yeah, like some fan would object to GH using their photographs in the autobiography,
of Glenn during or after a performance. Yeah, right.

Old Nov-22-2009, 4:51 PM

zUKUSA

As you may have seen in Glenn's recent tweets; his autobiography will be published soon (2010) and will come in a couple of different flavours the first being a "Limited Edition". It's being published by Foruli Limited, who are based out of the UK.

You can find out more about them, using the links below and also see examples of their work, so you have an idea of what to expect.

http://foruli.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foruli-Limited-Edition-Books/94484528642

http://twitter.com/foruli

More soon...
Old Nov-23-2009, 1:03 PM

UK

Can't wait to read this! I'm sure we'll all have it on pre order as soon as the release date is announced!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Nov-24-2009, 8:25 AM

UK

For this book,I'm gonna learn how to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben's Sig:

Cheers,
Ben !!
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-25-2009, 9:36 AM

USA

Icon28 Great idea, Ben!

Reading the long-awaited Glenn Hughes autobiography ~
Titled ~ "Here It Is.......... because this is the only way
to stop the constant nagging by the GH Crazy People"
while at the same time, listening to our favorite GH songs.

Our brains are gonna' fall out.
But we'll all die happy.

Old Nov-26-2009, 3:55 AM

Belgium

Can't wait for this now. Had no idea Glenn knew Bowie personally. Always nice to have some Lynott stories, another of my favourite singer/bass players.
Old Dec-01-2009, 12:45 PM

zUKUSA

Icon49 Official Press Release

Geln Hughes curtainLegendary singer and bassist Glenn Hughes (ex-DEEP PURPLE) has announced that he will be releasing his autobiography in 2010, to be published worldwide by Foruli Publications. The book, co-written with Joel McIver and featuring an introduction by METALLICA's Lars Ulrich, will be published in a hand signed luxury first edition complete with rare photos and an exclusive 10" vinyl EP. Pre-orders will be available from next spring. Further details will be released early in 2010.

Hughes said, "My autobiography is going to be a literary event. I've been working on this book for the last three years and you've never read anything like it. It's the true story of the Voice Of Rock, from my childhood via my career in TRAPEZE and DEEP PURPLE to my addiction and recovery. I'm now on top of the world as a solo artist and after so many years of sobriety, I can hardly believe that I survived. I spent a million dollars on cocaine and, when you've read this book, you won't believe it either."

The as yet untitled book features contributions from Hughes' friend and comrade in DEEP PURPLE David Coverdale, his lifelong musical collaborator Tony Iommi of BLACK SABBATH and a host of others including Angie Bowie, John Varvatos and the members of THE KLF (with whom Hughes scored a global hit in 1991).

For more information, please visit www.glennhughes.com and www.foruli.co.uk.
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-01-2009, 4:15 PM

USA

boy i hope i can get one of those first editions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec-03-2009, 9:37 PM

USA

Icon33

Holy mackerel! After a quick perusal of book prices on the Foruli website, I'm thinking I'm gonna need to start panhandling for spare change and working some overtime to be able to afford either version of the book Hopefully Glenn's will be priced a little more modestly than the titles they're currently offering.
Old Dec-05-2009, 11:44 AM

UK

bloody hell

will it really be that expensive

I do hope not as there is no chance of buying it anywhere near those prices!
Old Dec-05-2009, 1:21 PM

UK

If you are looking at the Razorjack one which was the only one I can find costs on - it's a Special Edition Graphic novel with Original paintings and gold leaf on them so hopefully that accounts for the price on that particular item! Otherwise I will be asking for a piggy bank for Christmas so I can save up!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Dec-06-2009, 9:54 AM

zUKUSA

You can now pre-order the luxury "Deluxe" limited edition of Glenn's book direct from the publisher.

The book title is: The Life, Near Death and Rebirth of A Rock Star: Deep Purple & Beyond

Please keep in mind, the price of this edition will also include:
Quote:
a personal signed note of thanks from Glenn on special notepaper, plus an invitation as Glenn's guest to special gigs in Europe and North America and the opportunity to meet him.

[ Pre-Order Now ]

Good news for those in North America, sounds like you're on the cards for 2010

When and if I hear more on the publication details, such as a regularly priced edition, you'll see it on the web site.

Here's the official pre-order notice...

Quote:
'The Life, Near Death and Rebirth of A Rock Star: Deep Purple & Beyond' by Glenn Hughes

***PRE-ORDERS NOW AVAILABLE*** Legendary singer and bassist Glenn Hughes (ex-DEEP PURPLE) will be releasing his autobiography in 2010. The book, co-written with Joel McIver and featuring an introduction by METALLICA’s Lars Ulrich, will appear in a luxury first edition complete with rare photos and an exclusive 10” vinyl EP.“My autobiography is going to be a literary event. I’ve been working on this book for the last three years and you’ve never read anything like it. It’s the true story of the Voice Of Rock, from my childhood via my career in TRAPEZE and DEEP PURPLE to my addiction and recovery. I’m now on top of the world as a solo artist and after so many years of sobriety, I can hardly believe that I survived. I spent a million dollars on cocaine and, when you’ve read this book, you won’t believe it either” – Glenn Hughes, Los Angeles, November 2009

The book features contributions from Glenn’s friend and comrade in DEEP PURPLE David Coverdale, his lifelong musical collaborator Tony Iommi of BLACK SABBATH and a host of others including Angie Bowie, John Varvatos and the members of THE KLF (with whom he scored a global hit in 1991).

Only 400 sets of the ‘Regular Edition’ and only 100 sets of the ‘Deluxe Edition’ will ever be made.

Due to overwhelming demand we are giving fans the opportunity to pre-order the Deluxe Edition of Glenn Hughes' autobiography ‘The Life, near Death and Rebirth of A Rock Star: Deep Purple & Beyond'.

Only 100 copies of this edition will ever be made. Each copy will be hand bound in white satin, a reference to the suit Glenn wore at California Jam in 1974. Each numbered book will be signed by Glenn Hughes. The book will be accompanied by an especially recorded 10″ record pressed on white vinyl and authenticated with a hologram. Again, only 100 of these records will ever be sold. The entire set will be presented in a handmade solander box with a numbered facsimile tour laminate and other goodies.

It is intended that books will be sent out to purchasers in Summer 2010. As a gesture of thanks for supporting his book, everyone who pre-orders the Deluxe Edition will receive in the mail a personal signed note of thanks from Glenn on special notepaper. Each purchaser will also be invited as Glenn’s guest to special gigs in Europe and North America and will have the opportunity to meet him.

Worldwide price is 550 including shipping.

[ Pre-Order Now ]
Old Dec-06-2009, 11:18 AM

USA

Icon32

Wow!!

Congratulations to anyone who is in the position to buy the deluxe edition.

As someone whose been out of work for the past 13 months, I doubt I'll even be able to get the standard edition based on the prices of the other books from this publisher.

It's a shame so many of us 'regular' fans have not been thought of

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Dec-06-2009, 11:26 AM

UK

if the invitation to be a special guest to a show includes the plane flight overseas i'll get one!

It would good to know what tracks are on the vinyl album.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Dec-06-2009, 11:31 AM

UK

Wow. Just checked out the price. I love Glenn,and i have everything he has ever released but 550 for the deluxe version is a bit steep to say the least. I will get the regular edition i think

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
013, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1991, 1996, 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, albums, autobiography, bass, book, california jam, cover, Deep Purple, Foruli, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, Jawbone, press, tommy bolin, tour, Trapeze