g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan-19-2010, 8:54 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Icon49 BLACK COUNTRY - press release

Quote:
Jason Bonham, Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherinian, and Joe Bonamassa Form New Super Group BLACK COUNTRY

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- A new super group has been formed with Jason Bonham, Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonamassa and Derek Sherinian. They are calling themselves Black Country, taking their name from the industrial area in England from which Bonham and Hughes both hail. The band is currently in the studio with producer Kevin Shirley (Black Crowes, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin) cutting tracks for an upcoming album to be released in late 2010 or early 2011.

With Bonham (Led Zeppelin, Foreigner) on drums, Sherinian (Dream Theater, Billy Idol, Alice Cooper) on keyboards, Hughes (Deep Purple, Trapeze) on bass and vocals and Bonamassa on guitar and vocals, the band already has six tracks cut. The next recording session will take place in March and the band hopes to finish recording in early April. Shirley made the announcement on his website: "So there it is folks - the cat is out the bag! This is Black Country. The songs are all original and what a lineup. They are all the very best players in the world, for my money!"

Shirley added, "Jason Bonham is a totally unique drummer and a supreme, yet oh-so-tasty powerhouse. Derek Sherinian is super versatile, and is playing mostly overdriven Hammond organ in this ensemble and is the color on the palette. Glenn Hughes plays bass and sings with a range very, very few can even get close to, and Joe Bonamassa, perhaps the best Blues Rock guitarist around, plays hard riffing guitar as well as adding his signature vocals alongside Glenn. You'll just have to wait - we're planning to get this out late summer, and it's promising to be phenomenal!"

Recently named "The Blues Rock Titan" by Guitar World Magazine, Bonamassa's new solo album, Black Rock, will be arriving March 23, 2010. Produced by Shirley, who has produced Bonamassa's last six solo albums, it will be released on Bonamassa's own J&R Adventures label.

For more information:

http://www.jasonbonham.net/
http://www.glennhughes.com/
http://www.dereksherinian.com/
http://jbonamassa.com/

SOURCE: J&R Adventures

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/
jason-bonham-glenn-hughes-derek-sherinian-and-joe-bonamassa-form-new-super-group-black-country-82054897.html

...and from UPI...

Quote:
Bonham, Hughes join Black Country group

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 19 (UPI) -- Jason Bonham, Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherinian and Joe Bonamassa have formed a group called
Black Country, the U.S. record label J&R Adventures said.

The band's name comes from the industrial area in England from which Bonham, the son of the late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, and Hughes, formerly of Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, hail. Sherinian founded the band Planet X and also played for Alice Cooper, Billy Idol and Kiss. Bonamassa founded the group Bloodline and has played with a long list of top-flight musicians, including Joe Cocker and Eric Clapton.

The group is in the studio with producer Kevin Shirley, cutting tracks for an upcoming album to be released late this year or early 2011, the label said.

"The songs are all original and what a lineup. They are all the very best players in the world, for my money," Shirley said on his Web site. "Jason Bonham is a totally unique drummer and a supreme, yet oh-so-tasty powerhouse. Derek Sherinian is super versatile, and is playing mostly over-driven Hammond organ in this ensemble and is the color on the palette. Glenn Hughes plays bass and sings with a range very, very few can even get close to, and Joe Bonamassa, perhaps the best blues rock guitarist around, plays hard riffing guitar as well as adding his signature vocals alongside Glenn.

"You'll just have to wait -- we're planning to get this out late summer, and it's promising to be phenomenal!"

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Music/2010/01/19/
Bonham-Hughes-join-Black-Country-group/UPI-98631263924880/
Old Jan-19-2010, 9:24 AM

USA

"mostly overdriven Hammond organ" is one of my favorite phrases in the world!

Should be good....
Old Jan-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Sweden

Icon38

ok it,s out in the fields.BLACK COUNTRY.
i cant wait
ok will it be www.blackcountry.com soon i hope.
glenn this will take you straight in the Whitehouse of rock.
So happy for you and J.J.D.
Old Jan-19-2010, 3:08 PM

NewZealand

I'm looking forward to hearing the album!
Old Jan-20-2010, 2:15 AM

UK

Icon34

Wow ! Now that its official I wonder how it all came to be, who's idea was it? will the managemnet change? is Carl Swann invloved in this project will they have a major label behind them? will they gig this year? so looking forward to this project its so cool!!!!

Its a real bonus having Kevin Shirley sounds like this will be a real team effort
Old Jan-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Netherlands

Cool news indeed

BUT does this means we do not get a new Glenn solo album anytime soon? Did Glenn mentions anything about this??
Old Jan-20-2010, 1:41 PM

UK

Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
Cool news indeed

BUT does this means we do not get a new Glenn solo album anytime soon? Did Glenn mentions anything about this??

Glenn did announce back in November or thereabouts that he would be putting solo recording on hold, now we know about Black Country I guess this is why.

My question is will Glenn be doing any solo gigs in the meantime still? Joe has solo gigs lined up so hopefully Glenn will still do some stuff and maybe do a Robin gig at least?

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Jan-20-2010, 3:04 PM

UK

Marie, Hi!

I reckon another Robin weekend is in order. One day of solo stuff, maybe do a whole album like soul mover or SITKOR, and another of collaborations would be cool!
Old Jan-20-2010, 7:42 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
For those not acquainted with the area - here's a map, showing you the location of the Black Country in the UK

The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-21-2010, 6:24 AM

USA

Thanks David for the map. I was wondering just what the area was. Of course if you don't know what "Black Country" means to these guys you may be expecting Cowboy Troy
Old Jan-24-2010, 10:40 AM

USA

Cool to see the area on that map David. The name Black Country is really startin' to grow on me . Saw a replay of PBS' "Soundstage" last night with Jason Bonham on drums with Foreigner from a few years ago. He sounds great!
Old Jan-25-2010, 9:42 AM

USA

I am very excited about this lil' rock n roll combo, Black Country. When I first read the word "supergroup", I was very very leary because I don't think I could stand another 'Fused' or 'HTP' project. I kept quiet until the official announcement but, now that its public, I can say that this is going to be very interesting.
Old Jan-25-2010, 10:36 AM

USA

I saw Jason 'pounding the skins' with UFO a few years ago.....he's a 'chip off the old block'!!!!
Old Jan-26-2010, 2:00 PM

USA

I just watched that DVD last night. I'm trying to get all caught up on our new bandmates. Been listening to some Dream Theater and JBM as well. I'm packin' my bags and heading to the Black Country. See ya'll there
peace,
Old Jan-27-2010, 5:18 AM

USA

Yeah I've been really jamming on Joe B's stuff the past couple weeks. It's really great music!! The guy can not only play but he can flatout sing as well.

Hey Bart, what time does the bus leave?? I'm there brother!!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
2010, album, albums, bass, Black Country, Derek Sherinian, foreigner, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, jason bonham, joe bonamassa, organ, press, solo, solo album, soul mover