g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan-11-2010, 5:28 PM

USA

Cool My own new secret Supergroup!

Through connections at work, I'm rehearsing on keyboards with a multi platinum band's well known guitarist and his all star band this week and gigging as well. Unfortunately the gig is not open to the general public, but I will put up pics and videos and give details later in the week. I'm just tickled to death to play with one of my all time favorite heroes!!!! My favorite gig in 2009 was playing in a band that pays tribute to this guitarist's band...so here I am 5 months later about to play with the real guy. And of course being that the family tree extends so far, there are more than a couple of extended Deep Purple family connections in this band with the other band members. (although none that I know of with the guitarist) . Ok back to the keyboards, i'm practicing right now like never before!

John H
Old Jan-12-2010, 2:00 AM

France

Old Jan-12-2010, 8:55 AM

USA

Sorry what do you mean with the frowns? ? It's not my group either so I shouldn't have put it that way. This place seems to be getting stranger.... I'm not sure why.
Old Jan-12-2010, 9:05 AM

USA

I don't think they were bagging on ya, John...they were wondering who you're talking about. Is it Robbie Krieger? Or is there a reason you can't say who it is?
Old Jan-12-2010, 9:31 AM

USA

Since we haven't played yet-- and I'm not a famous player if I get to the rehearsal and get thrown out I don't want to say who yet. It's nobody from the Doors or anybody close to that universe. That would be no big deal at this point. Ill have the info on Wed or Thursday. Thanks.
Old Jan-12-2010, 1:29 PM

USA

Hey John...it all sounds very cool.I am waiting to hear the rest of the tale! Anytime you get to jam with another musician that you have admired over the years is beyond special...

Some years back, my friend John Williamson was in a band called Alaska; not to be confused with the Bernie Marsden band of the same name. They went into Fantasy Studios to cut a demo with Tim Gorman behind the board. There was a lot of major label interest which unfortunately faded upon discovering the amount of coke being consumed by their manager...But John recalls how cool it was working in that studio and with Tim Gorman....

I hope the whole experience is great for you!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Jan-12-2010, 2:12 PM

USA

That must be the keyboardist Tim Gorman from the Who and John Entwistle- who was from the bay area! Great player! I've got the songs down now so I'm ready to rip!!
Old Jan-12-2010, 4:17 PM

USA

ill be waiting till your ready to say john
Old Jan-13-2010, 1:24 PM

Austria

Sounds great, John - looking forward to seeing the pics and vids!

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jan-13-2010, 10:35 PM

USA

The rehearsals and introductions went great today. The gig is tomorrow so there will be more pics. I'm at the end of the day and have to wind down...so the pic I do have from today will have to wait. So I will now spill the beans. I was sitting at my desk a couple of weeks ago, when Armando, one of our guitar managers snuck up behind me and asked me if I would like to play with one of my favorite guitarists- well of course!!!

It's the Journeyman- Neal Schon. On drums is Prarie Prince from the Tubes, session work and the drummer on Savannah Woman and Wild Dogs on Tommy Bolin's Teaser. I asked him about that album today and he said it was a blast- they flew him down and they did those tracks in one day. Prairie did the Teaser shirt for Tommy and they jammed on other stuff that wasn't on the album. The rest of the band is a singer that is not well known -but may be soon..Im not quite sure of his name. Marco Mendoza is on bass and Miles Schon- who looks just like his dad and plays like him on guitar. Neal is a great guy- and being able to partcipate in this one off project is beyond my wildest dreams. I'm blessed, honored and thankful to be able to do this and pull it off. Thanks for the responses, and there will be pics and should be videos too. This is like the rock and roll fantasy camp- but I didn't have to pay 10 grand. It took hours to get these songs down before today, but I'm keeping up with these guys and it feels good.
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-13-2010, 11:33 PM

UK

thats brilliant for you John

Neal Schon has written and played amazing stuff for...... ever!

and a drummer who worked with Bolin WOW. He's worked with a really varied set of artists from John Fogerty to Chris Isaack and Todd Rungren to Richard Marx.

good luck and go out there and enjoy yourself

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jan-14-2010, 12:09 AM

USA

Here's the pic!
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
schon.JPG  
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-14-2010, 12:32 AM

Belgium

Neal and Marco are 2 fantastic musicians. Good for you man
Old Jan-14-2010, 2:25 AM

USA

Prairie on drums and Neal on guitar That's got to sound awesome. Congratulations John and looking forward to hearing the results.
Old Jan-14-2010, 8:41 AM

USA

The singer is Keith St John, from the current version of Montrose and Burning Rain- which also had Doug Aldrich from Dio/Whitesnake. Dude has some serious vocal chops!
Old Jan-14-2010, 9:21 AM

USA

I should add- the hours spent practicing at home were almost all (5-6) devoted to track 11 from Revelation- The Journey. I just haven't been learning any songs lately, so my song learning ear skills have dived- and took a long break in December- well long for me- three weeks or so. I think Herbert was right- Neal is like Mozart. I love musical challenges though- and going from completely and totally lost with this piece for hours to playing it as good as Jonathan Cain is total satisfaction. Harrison Ford said "No Limit for Better."
Old Jan-14-2010, 9:51 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,492 Posts
This is great news John. Bet it makes the thought of all those long days & nights at sea a few years ago, well worthwhile now! Keep on keeping us up-to-date. Hope this is just the beginning for you...
Old Jan-14-2010, 10:10 AM

UK

Hi John, You don't know me, but these are some serious players.
I've recently had a chance to step up a little in the bands I'm playing with, nothing in this league. These dudes are seriously good pros, whom I've paid money to see. Marco twice with Whitesnake and John Syke's Lizzy.
Even at my level in the food chain, we are keeping quiet about the bass guy, who is our highest profile guy until it's absolutely happened.
Pleased for you, Cheers, Bruce
Old Jan-14-2010, 11:34 AM

UK

Wow, wow and thrice wow! I absolutely love Journey and Neil Schonn! Congratulations on getting in on the line up and well done for all the efforts you are putting in to practice! Thats great news for you adn I'm really pleased! Keep us all posted! xxx

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Jan-14-2010, 5:55 PM

UK

I was fortunate enough to be able to photograph Journey a couple of years back....NS came onstage solo and played Jerusalem at the start of the gig....To say it was awsome would be a huge understatement

The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Wartypig For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-15-2010, 12:27 AM

USA

Soundcheck and gig went very well. There were some acoustic issues with the venue and the sound which led to one song Black Dog being dropped. It was a blast! Found out from Marco that he is the bass player on those 4 new songs on the Whitesnake live album- not Uriah who was credited. Neal has to approve the video of the gig will post it any pics I get as soon as possible.
Old Jan-15-2010, 12:48 AM

Belgium

Keith St John is indeed a good singer, he was supposed to sing on the new Montrose album and the new Burning Rain but neither of those
happened

That's pretty cool Marco played on those songs, I always felt it was a shame he didn't get to make a studio record with Whitesnake. He was perfect
for that band.
Old Jan-15-2010, 3:34 PM

USA

Thumbs up Chrome Plated Cool!!

A couple of things....why am I not surprised that John is considerably taller than everyone else? If it were AC/DC he were jamming with, he would look like a basketball player!

Prairie Prince was the original drummer for Journey as well; he was with them for the first year or so. There is a picture of him onstage with the band in the booklet for the "Time 3 " box set from 1993. I remember reading that Neil always wanted to get the original line-up; himself, Gregg, Ross, George Tickner and Prairie Prince together but Gregg Rolie passed on the invite.

Great news and all the best to you John!! Have your feet touched the ground yet??

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Jan-15-2010, 9:05 PM

USA

Icon33

That's awesome news John...I can't imagine the high you're experiencing playing with those guys!

So let's see...you're playing with members of Soul SirkUS, Whitesnake, Blue Murder, Journey, Bad English, Montrose, Hardline, HSAS, The Tubes, Tommy Bolin's band and Jefferson Starship...all at once!

Cheers, and I hope this leads to some other opportunities for you, my friend.

Todd
Old Jan-16-2010, 11:35 AM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by toadsterama View Post
That's awesome news John...I can't imagine the high you're experiencing playing with those guys!

So let's see...you're playing with members of Soul SirkUS, Whitesnake, Blue Murder, Journey, Bad English, Montrose, Hardline, HSAS, The Tubes, Tommy Bolin's band and Jefferson Starship...all at once!

Cheers, and I hope this leads to some other opportunities for you, my friend.

Todd

....and Santana

Congrats John Can't wait to hear what the project sounds like.

Chip's Sig:Chip
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-17-2010, 12:21 PM

USA

That's great John !! Knew you had the talent to do some big things, and this is pretty dang big.

Keep on rockin
Old Jan-18-2010, 2:00 PM

UK

Icon49

Originally Posted by toadsterama View Post

Todd

What Todd said - and it couldn't have happened to a nicer (and very talented) guy!

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jan-18-2010, 7:38 PM

NewZealand

Great stuff John! I know how you feel. I felt the same when I played with Glenn, a member of my favourite lineup(MkIII) of my favourite band! Congratulations!
Old Jan-18-2010, 7:47 PM

USA

Thanks so much for these responses. I had jammed with Robby Krieger backstage a few years back, then we got to do a set with him three years ago at our weekly Doors gig in Venice. Then last year, I played at a birthday party and got to sing Tush with Slash and play keyboards with him when he sat in with the cover band I was with. But this Neal thing tops them all, because of the lineup and because it was cool to have a rehearsal and then do a proper gig, just like a real band.

It so cool to now have this bond we that play in bands have with all those guys. It could be ten years from now and they will remember we played together. This is now different than if I just hung out at La Vee Lee or Baked Potato as a fan and someone like Marco would remember me from there. I'm still recovering from playing 4 hours a day or more for 8 days so Sat just went to Namm to check out the Yamaha stuff (where I work). Of course a friend was there and dragged me out to the main floor. The one musician I bumped into and talked to out of 3000 people there in a multi 100,000 sq foot building was Keith St John! I had three other gigs last weekend and I did enjoy them - but it's kind of a let down to go back to the regular circuit after playing at the arena level.
Old Jan-19-2010, 9:21 AM

USA

This is all really cool stuff and I am very happy for you. Neal Schon's "Late Night" cd is still one of my favorites. He has done so many things that I have enjoyed. Congadulations to you on being able to reap some of the rewards from your hard work, time, and dedication.
peace,

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1988, 1993, album, albums, bands, bass, cover, drums, glenn, guitar, JohnH, journey, solo, Supergroup, tommy bolin, track