g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Hughes/Thrall

Hughes/Thrall Talk about shows, setlists, albums, latest updates and all things Pat & Glenn related.....

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct-03-2009, 7:52 AM

USA

Cool Lucky Joe runs in to Pat Thrall

Got the following from Andy Aledort's fan page. Andy Aledort is a super guitar instructor an d always on Guitar World:

Quote:
Hey Andy.

I notice there is an accolade/blurb on the site from Pat Thrall. You ever play with him? Just curious, because I ran into him on an elevator at work not too long ago. He had a temporary I.D. tag on him and I asked if he was "THE" Pat Thrall, and he said "Yeah." Anyway, we had a couple of smokes together downstairs and he was really cool. I told him that I wasn't a representative scholar of his work, but that I first encountered him with Pat Travers on "Crash And Burn," and boy, did he smoke!!! I told him the ONE tune that really did it for me was, "Your Love Can't Be Right For Me," and he enthusiastically agreed.

Plus, let's not forget: "SNORTIN' WHISKY AND DRINKIN' COCAINE!!!!"
----------------------
Yeah, I always dug him more than Travers. I met him once and it's a long pretty funny story, so I'll post it when I have about 30 minutes of typing time available.....He was great with Automatic Man....
----------------------
Kewl. Yeah, he was doing some sort of consulting/production work for, I think Conan, but I'm not sure. He said his days of touring are basically over because (and I paraphrase), "Nobody really gives a **** in this day and age whether you can play or not - it's all about product. Why should a kid bust his ass to learn how to play an instrument well when all he needs are computers?"

Sad but true....as a Geezer.

But at least it's good to know he adapted, and he didn't end up like Edgar Allen Poe, dead in a gutter in Baltimore, which, by the way, might not be such a bad idea!
-----------------------
He and his wife own Avatar, whihch used to be the Power Station, so I am sure they're doing fine.
-----------------------

Old Oct-04-2009, 3:36 PM

USA

Speaking of Guitar World-I like the magazine, but it's a shame in that mag you never read about guys like Pat Thrall, Bolin, Lukather, Morse. It's always Slayer, Kirk Hammet, (metallica seem like they are featured 5 times a year) tuned down cookie monsters, etc...At least there was a Blackmore article a few months ago.
Old Oct-05-2009, 3:51 PM

USA

Too funny!!

My brother calls a lot of the speed metal his stepsons listened to "monster music" in regard to the gruff bellowed vocals....So John's " tuned down cookie monster" line is a riot....and very true!

Eddie Van Halen was once grumbling in an interview about having to tune down to D to accommodate David Lee Roth's vocal range; he went on to make a comment along the lines of "the low string is E because it sounds good that way".....When Sammy was the lead singer they had to take "Jump" up in key because he sounded like Frank Sinatra singing it in the original key

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Oct-08-2009, 3:08 PM

Austria

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962 View Post
When Sammy was the lead singer they had to take "Jump" up in key because he sounded like Frank Sinatra singing it in the original key

Bill. Your anecdotes are always a pleasure to read!

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old May-02-2010, 4:19 PM

Canada

I have to agree with Thrall about the nobody cares if you can play or not. Very sad. I grew up in the 70's, when it was important to be able to play, and solos had to be good. I feel like a dinosaur now, and it's really depressing to see the crap bands that show up nightly on Letterman, filled with people who can't sing, write, or play. Hey look, it's Justin Beiber! How embarrassing must it be to be an adult musician playing in Beiber's band? The mind boggles at the state of music today. I'm just glad I grew up in the sixties so I was at least exposed to good music WHILE it was happening. Regardless, I still play in a band and duo and I'm not about to give it up.
Old Apr-25-2012, 2:45 PM

USA

Pats right on the money about the state of things,no one cares if you can play or fake your way thru three chords,really sad!!
Old Dec-08-2012, 8:41 AM

USA

Very cool getting to meet Pat

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Hughes/Thrall

Share Thread

Tags
bands, guitar