g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Belgium

Arrow I need some help!!

I'm looking for another favourite artist besides Glenn who still continues to regularly put out new releases. I've been looking for a musician for a while whom I like as much as Glenn but it's been a long search with few results. I have enjoyed most of the stuff David Coverdale has been involved with but I have nearly everything with DC now and it doesn't look like he'll start releasing an album every 2 years again. The artist I'm looking for must be a very good songwriter who is also very productive. Strong musicianship, either from the artist or the persons he's working with also a requirement. I mainly listen to (hard) rock. I know most of the bigger bands in the genre and have quite a few of their albums it will probably have to be a lesser known musician...

I'm probably asking too much, I mean Glenn has a great voice, is an excellent songwriter and is very good at bass playing (something which is often overlooked) and has worked with other musicians like Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, JJ Marsh, Chad Smith, Jon Lord, ... I could go on.
It's like nothing is good enough these days, perhaps comparing everything to Glenn is wrong?
Old Jun-24-2009, 4:04 PM

Austria

Richie Kotzen, definitely!
He's the first artist I'm thinking of here, and he has worked with Glenn in the past!

Chris

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jun-24-2009, 11:36 PM

UK

Maybe you should try Jeff Kollman

obviously he has the Glenn connection with having played so many shows with him, but his own stuff is pretty impressive. He has a good singing voice too.

i can think of 4 solo albums, 3 Edwin Dare, JKB, 4 Cosmosquad, Sign of 4, Crumb Bros, Mogg/Way, Kevin Chown, The Stain, VXN, Lao Tizer, and SITKOR with Glenn!

plus guest appearances on albums by the likes of HTP, Shane Gallas, Rob Rock, John West and also on a few tribute albums.

then there is also the coming releases by The Bombastic Meatbats and also a new band called Pervadelic - slated for an '09 release on an 11 song album entitled 'Songs For Perv's'. Check out a sample on www.myspace.com/jeffkollman click on 'Butterfly Tatoo' (thats Jeff singing and playing on another great track!!).

Plus he's a really nice guy

check out his own website where there are loads of clips to listen to http://www.jeffkollman.com

i have been playing the JKB album for a week in my car and it really rocks - "Crowd of None" from it is playing on his myspace page. a really great album.

Currently listening to By Myself, JKB, Bleeding The Soul (2004)

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-25-2009, 2:43 AM

Belgium

Originally Posted by chrisloeb View Post
Richie Kotzen, definitely!
He's the first artist I'm thinking of here, and he has worked with Glenn in the past!

Chris

Kotzen has crossed my mind. Good singer, great guitarist. I'm not so sure about the songwriting yet. I have Into The Black and it's a pretty good album though I was a bit disappointed by the lack of a real drummer. Which are his best albums?

Kollman seems interesting too, I heard this song called Journey Through Life which I thought was amazing. Most of his stuff is not easy to get though.
Old Jun-25-2009, 3:41 AM

USA

Icon33

I'll second the suggestion of Richie Kotzen. Try an album like SLOW, or CHANGE. Those two are quite good. Also the more rootsy WHAT IS.. I have Richie's entire catalog and, like Glenn, he never seems to do the same album twice. Well worth checking out.

Cheers..Todd
Old Jun-25-2009, 11:06 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,492 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyW View Post
Kollman seems interesting too, I heard this song called Journey Through Life which I thought was amazing. Most of his stuff is not easy to get though.

You should try CD Baby.com - you can most of his material, solo and otherwise, there...see the "try this" lists on their pages...
Old Jun-27-2009, 1:40 PM

Austria

Originally Posted by CrazyW View Post
Kotzen has crossed my mind. Good singer, great guitarist. I'm not so sure about the songwriting yet. I have Into The Black and it's a pretty good album though I was a bit disappointed by the lack of a real drummer. Which are his best albums?

This is where Todd and I disagree I do enjoy the Slow album very much, but I never liked Change.
IMO you should get Mother Head's Family Reunion (by far his best from 1994), The Return of Mother Head's Family Reunion (2008) and the aforementioned Slow.

And check out Jonny Lang's Long Time Coming (2003) album too. You should be able to get hold of a cheap copy at eBay for just a few Dollars.

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1994, 2003, 2004, 2008, album, albums, bands, bass, Chad Smith, David, glenn, HTP, Jeff Kollman, JJ Marsh, journey, MySpace, search, solo, track