g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr-24-2009, 3:55 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,492 Posts
Icon35 Live in Adelaide, Australia 4/23/09

Well...actually both Melbourne and Adelaide to be precise But first off, here is the set list from the Adelaide gig

Stormbringer
Might Just Take Your Life
Muscle And Blood
Sail Away
Mistreated
Crave
Gettin' Tighter
Coast To Coast
This Time Around
Dopamine
Holy Man
Love Communion
You Keep On Moving

Encore:
Soul Mover
Burn

Here's a little write-up from both gigs, courtesy of Electric Mary's (support band), singer Rusty.

Quote:
After driving Glenn around for a day and too scared to say a thing about firstly being a fan, and secondly being a member of the support band, the ice was broken by Drew Thompson when I eventually had to say my name haha.

We've done two shows so far, the first gigs soundcheck was hounded by in ears and foldback problems, I watched Glenn from afar work the crew until he got something near audible from his foldback. no anger, no tantrums ,lets just get it as good as we can then.

Around 10.45 that night a room full of Glenn Hughes fans picked up their collective jaws when he went from Stormbringer to Might Just Take Your Life to Muscle And Blood.

One guy [I had heard later] had asked for his money back because he believed Glenn was miming [idiot] there was no miming here - Glenn has a gift and everyone [minus the idiot] knew it.

You Keep On Moving, This Time Around, Mistreated, Holy Man, Sail Away, Glenn had taken us on a journey that will be remembered for a very long time.

He infiltrated every Deep Purple song with a piece of the person he is today, but he never took anything away from the songs original soul. [and the smiles never left the room]. For me it's both a massive pleasure and a royal pain in the ass singing on the same stage as Glenn

It was also a pleasure to watch the people mouthing the lyrics of the latest offerings from Glenn, Soul Mover and Love Communion went down a treat.

The second show took us to Adelaide there were three bands on and we were on first so it gave me time to dry off get myself a drink and watch the night unfold.

The intro was a massive explosion of guitars, drums, keys, bass, and Glenn wailing from the bottom to the top of his range.

It was then I realized that's how we start our shows [oops] I cringed for a few seconds then thought phuck it if your gonna steal, steal from the best [as we did]

Unlike the first night this show had a real looseness about it, there was more jamming, more of Glenn taking it where he wanted rather than just doin what the band knew [the boys had to be on their toes] hand signals, head nods, arms wavin, I felt for them a few times but that quickly changed into jealousy, they were playin with Glenn Hughes, lucky bastards, they better be ready.

His improvisation at the end of mistreated is truly an eargasm.

As I trundled off to bed last night with the last two days going round my head at the speed of a formula one race car, I kinda had a little chuckle to myself and thought yeah, "Puck yeah"

Two Down one to go
Rusty

Sound like he's been F U N K'd too

Pictures Courtesy: Gavin Warren
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-24-2009, 8:00 PM

Australia

Well I've caught the first two shows so far, Melbourne was cool but, Adelaide was better in every way - vibe wise, crowd reaction wise, mix wise, view wise. I nearly didn't make it there, so am soooooooo glad it ended up happening.

Glenn truly loves life, and music, and that's GOTTA rub off on you when you see him play.

I'm so far not familiar with all of his back catalogue and therefore didn't know every single song played, but the main difference I noticed was "Dopamine" was played in Melb and not Adelaide.

Got some cool pics from Adelaide, some vids from Melbourne, but dial up might prevent me getting the vids up.

What a talent though. Still blown away!!!!!!!!

One thing I liked was between the two shows he was saying how much he missed this part of the world and wants to play here more often now. At Melbourne he said "he's gonna come back", but at Adelaide "I'm gonna come back next year" which obviously was great to hear!! Any time Glenn!!
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Eat Pop Slop For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-24-2009, 8:04 PM

Ireland

Originally Posted by David View Post
Sound like he's been F U N K'd too

Originally Posted by Eat Pop Slop View Post
Still blown away!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm jealous We need some in Dublin too
Old Apr-24-2009, 11:22 PM

France

Thanks for the review ...

Aussies haven't a so funk setlist, but they get Dopamine ...

The fotos are amazing.

Can't wait until june & July

Crystal Karma's Sig:LOVE U ALL from France

http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/
Old Apr-24-2009, 11:48 PM

UK

EARGASM! that is a great description for it!

Thanks for a great review. and i love Glenn's jacket in all the pics.

I'd love to hear Dopamine and Muscle and Blood live in June.

I hope Glenn hasn't forgotten he promised the crowd last time that he would do I Don't Want To Live That Way Again at the Robin2 on his next visit.

Electric Mary are on the cover cd (twice) on the June 2009 edition of Classic Rock.

Currently listening to Electric Mary - Right Down To The Bone

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Apr-25-2009, 3:00 AM

France

Thanks you David for the pics and for posting Dusty's review. One more GHCP

Paul, I saw this jacket for real in NYC and I can confirm it's a killer

Harry le chat's Sig:
Old Apr-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Netherlands

Haha I like the miming part!
Old Apr-27-2009, 6:22 AM

zUKUSA

Here's some fan filmed footage from the recent Adelaide gig...

"Stormbringer"

"Sail Away"
Old Apr-28-2009, 1:38 AM

France

amazing videos.. thank you David I always love this song Sail away
Old May-04-2009, 10:00 AM

UK

Thanks to all for great reviews and vids. Never seen 'Muscle and Blood' live I,m with Wolfy would love to see it in June
Old May-04-2009, 1:14 PM

zUKUSA

You can now find some more pix from the Adelaide gig over in Tour Pix section of the site
Old May-05-2009, 6:27 AM

zUKUSA

Here's more fan filmed footage...."This Time Around"...live in Adelaide

Old May-05-2009, 1:53 PM

UK

Icon20

'This Time Around' - from THE VOICE that I loved almost immediately so many years ago.

Pure quality ...

And thank you to moparmav for the quality of the film

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old May-06-2009, 3:50 AM

France

many thanks for the video !!
Old May-11-2009, 7:01 AM

zUKUSA

One other excellent review from the recent Adelaide, Australia show

dBMagazine
James McKenzie
Australia

Quote:
Glenn Hughes/ Almost Human/ Electric Mary
Thursday 23 April
HQ

On a bleak, wet and wintry night an already healthy crowd is on hand to see Melbourne hard rockers Electric Mary kick off proceedings in blazing fashion. Since their last visit to Adelaide in September last year (supporting Judas Priest) they have been signed to UK label Powerage, the label owned by the influential ‘Classic Rock Magazine’. Songs like Gasoline & Guns and No One Does It Better Than Me are suitably boisterous and bruising but the highlight is Crashdown (On Your Head). Fast becoming their signature tune, tonight it turns into a massive extended jam of bluesy heavy rock featuring some blazing guitar solos. An all-too-brief set, but one that whets the appetite for the new album ‘Down To The Bone’.

Coincidentally, veteran Adelaide metallers Almost Human were also on the support bill for Judas Priest. As usual they open with the brilliant Break These Walls, a prime piece of classic metal. Deeply rooted in the metal and hard rock sounds of the Seventies and Eighties, they remain a very tight outfit and the largely middle-aged crowd responds enthusiastically to the gonzoid, fists-in-the-air anthems like Do Or Die and Krank It Up. The timing of their return after an absence of over a decade is good and just maybe they too can ride the wave of renewed interest in classic metal across the globe.

The Voice Of Rock’ is a heck of a title to live up to, but from the second Glenn Hughes launches into Stormbringer, it is plain to hear that it is a title well-earned. Looking disgustingly fit and healthy for a man of fifty-seven, the range, clarity, power and soulfulness of his voice, not to mention a seemingly effortless ability to hit the high notes, is simply breathtaking. More Deep Purple classics follow with Might Just Take Your Life and a truly mesmerising and epic Mistreated, both from the ‘Burn’ album. With some splendidly rich organ accompaniment, the latter sees some extraordinary vocal gymnastics from Hughes during which his acknowledged Stevie Wonder influences become readily apparent. The backing band is rock solid while allowing Hughes to strut his stuff both vocally and with his often under-appreciated bass playing.

Among the classics we get a couple of newer songs, namely the funky, bass-heavy rockers Crave and Love Communion, both of which are warmly received but there is no doubt it is the classics that most of the crowd have come to hear. The pace is slowed for another Purple song, the plaintive ballad This Time Around, which sees Hughes accompanied only by piano. The man proves his versatility by picking up the guitar for the old Trapeze song Coast To Coast, which is dedicated to Hughes’ former Trapeze bandmate Mel Galley, who passed away last year.

Throughout the performance Hughes chats amiably with the crowd and he is very clearly in his element. A storming encore highlighted by Soul Mover from his excellent 2005 album of the same name brings to an end a wonderful night of diverse classic rock.

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/466/lr-GlennHughes.shtml

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
2005, 2009, album, backing, bands, bass, classic rock, Coast to Coast, cover, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, guitar, journey, keys, Mel Galley, MySpace, organ, Pix, robin2, soul mover, The Robin, Trapeze, Video, win