g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr-05-2009, 1:30 PM

USA

Icon33 The Whisky April 4, 2009

Picked up Chip and Frank at their hotel early in the evening and headed over for a meal at Barney's Beanery. Unfortunately the place was packed with people watching a basketball game, so instead we went next door for what turned out to be an excellent sushi meal with saki, served by a very cute Korean girl. (For some reason alot of Japanese food places are Korean run in LA) Walked the 15 minutes up the hill to the Whiskey and had to sit through some pretty boring bands but ah well. Sometimes this can turn out to be a good thing but not on this night. Glenn was onstage at last about 1120, looking fit and young as always with a cool jacket and red scarf. He had his fantastic new Yamaha bass which sounded really good (I want one but it's a one off provided by Yash (artist services) in North Hollywood. I really enjoyed the Funk numbers much more than I have the album (but lately GH albums tend to click with my like a time bomb- I get into them two years later) Glenn was in fine voice as always and the show seemed more agressive vocally than the last Whiskey show (no falsetto in You've Got Soul's chorus but a scream that was closer to the record). We enjoyed Jeff's playing more this time and he seemed to fit the songs much better. Really enjoyed Steve Stephen's drumming- I'm now a huge fan- had no idea he could play like that from watching him at the Alley in Carlsbad. I'm still not an Ed fan but I do enjoy his swirling Rhodes piano sounds that fill the mix. The sound was perfect, even in front of the stage. Good setlist, almost all new songs and only three Purple numbers and Coast to Coast- which featured Glenn playing lead and rythym guitar- that was cool and sounded great! Chad Smith brought the house down during the encores of Soul Mover and Burn. Really enjoyed the night and hey- that was the best 240 dollars I ever lost (I turned down a gig to be there). Ya gotta have a life sometimes. I have some pics on my phone but I can't get my PC to recognize it so will have to try later as Im out of time. Oh and we ended the night at the Ihop across the street from Barney's sitting right near the door and had quite a good people/freak watching festival.

John
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-05-2009, 1:40 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,491 Posts
Thanks for the report John; pleased to hear the three of you managed to hook-up

Lookin' forward to what they have to say too

The full set list was:

Crave
F U N K
You Got Soul
Mistreated
Oil And Water
We Shall Be Free
Coast To Coast
Gettin' Tighter
Love Communion
Don't Let Me Bleed
Steppin' On

Encore:
Soul Mover
Burn

...and here's a snippet of fan filmed footage featuring "Mistreated"... look closely; is that Chip I spy in front, up front?
Old Apr-05-2009, 4:38 PM

zUKUSA

Here's some exclusive backstage footage for y'all (click image to view)
Glenn wilth friends and family just a few minutes before show time last night

Old Apr-05-2009, 5:54 PM

USA

Just a quick note from PHX airport. Glenn was tremendous. The band was en fuego and special guest MR Smith was phenomenal.Glenn still has the best voice in Rock, and he kicks ass on the Yamaha to boot. Great show and great time. Could use another dose right away
Old Apr-06-2009, 6:46 AM

USA

That's what was so cool about NY. We got that second dose the next night!

Glad you guys had a good time out there. The show is smokin hot right now!! But I don't need to explain that now that you've seen it first hand.
Old Apr-06-2009, 8:41 AM

USA

The video clip of Glenn and Mickey is so funny! Watched it several times now and i crack up every time. Thanks for sharing that moment. Great stuff
Old Apr-06-2009, 8:54 AM

USA

This show was just simply as good as it gets. THE Voice was the best I have ever heard live from Glenn and just about anyone else in my concert going life.
The place had wonderful sound and the whole crowd was really into the whole night. As John said, the warm up acts were basically crap, but who cares when the man is going to close the night.
Two thousand miles, fourteen hours in a car, traffic jams and no sleep plus Glenn Hughes made this a perfect weekend. WOuld do it again tomorrow (Though Chip may not want to do all that driving).
I am still ecstatic and am blabbing to anyone who will listen !!!
Would have liked to be in NY, that is my home; but LA was just fine.
Glenn, when you say you are playing more USA shows in the future, I hope you mean the NEAR future.
Old Apr-06-2009, 10:16 AM

USA

Great words Frank. I was doing a dragnet style report but there's not enough good words in it. It's so difficult to put into words- how good this show was and how inspiring. I almost started crying during Mistreated. I had goosebumps more than once during the show and it's always so cool to exchange smiles with GH as he recognizes me and see him acknowledge several fans that he also knows.. I am filled with the love and inspiration that Glenn gave us all on Saturday night...What an experience, what a man, what a voice- jesus it's all so fricking awesome. Life is good. I could only dream of nights like this when I was stuck on a ship listening to the Way it Is ten years ago. (and back then I did actually dream alot that I was watching GH live) Wow.

John
Old Apr-06-2009, 10:18 AM

USA

Be sure and checkout a couple of new pix from the LA gig the other night in the "Pix" section of the site

Old Apr-06-2009, 11:36 AM

USA

He really is singing better than before now isn't he?! I said that after the NY shows.

Like I said the time is right for a live dvd!
Old Apr-06-2009, 11:46 AM

France

Still have not he time to post the fotos from NYC

But thanks for the whisky reviews

Crystal Karma's Sig:LOVE U ALL from France

http://ghfrance.blogspot.com/
Old Apr-06-2009, 4:03 PM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by David View Post
... look closely; is that Chip I spy in front,

Yeah, that's me. I have no idea how you noticed that, I'm not sure I would have even noticed.

Sorry for the tardiness of my post, but I'm having some problems with the few photos I took and a couple of videos I managed to sneak before getting busted by security. I'll post them later.

As has been said before, it was a fantastic show. I told Glenn that it was possibly the best performance of his that I've ever seen. He said that he thought I looked mesmerized I guess I was. It's not that Glenn has ever put on a bad performance, it's just that this one for some reason was at another level. I've been asked before what my favorite GH show ever was and I never had a good answer...until now.

Thank you John for providing the local transportation for myself and Frank. It's always a pleasure hooking up with you whenever I'm in L.A. Was it really a coincidence that we parked right in front of a medical marijuana shop? ;-)

Thank you Frank for being my traveling buddy for this chapter of the Roadshow, the hotel, the food, the sake, the food, the company, the food. Did I mention the food? You don't go hungry hanging with Uncle Frank.

Thank you Glenn for assembling a great band and putting on a great show. I don't care what a certain magazine says, you're the true Voice Of Rock It even said so on the sign outside of the Whisky, so it must be true

Chip's Sig:Chip
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:
Old Apr-06-2009, 8:10 PM

USA

Sounds like a great show. Seems to me like Glenn is just getting warmed up. I can't wait to hear his next project--and hopefully see him in concert again!
Old Apr-06-2009, 9:27 PM

USA

Thanks Chip. To you and Frank thanks for the great night...For sure GH was on another level that night.
Old Apr-06-2009, 9:53 PM

USA

It was an amazing show, with an amazing band; Glenn HAS to record with Steve Stephens on the next album! What a drummer!!!

Very nice to talk with Chip, albeit briefly, I was very much under the weather so not as social as I might have been otherwise, but it was nice to see an old "friend" just the same.

In any case, I have to agree that Jeff Kollman did a magnificent job this time out - his playing was nothing short of perfect; so much more of a better fit than last time.

As for Glenn, all I can say is that I was floored by the vibrance, the energy and the pure musicianship that was on display. Amazing! If the singer thing doesn't work out, he'll do very well as a bass player I think...

-Marc Fevre
Old Apr-07-2009, 7:54 AM

USA

Yeah I have to say that this band has really jelled! They were very tight and yes Jeff and Steve have most definitely found their groove here. It was simply amazing how good they sounded.

I wouldn't mind a bit if this was the band for Glenn on a permanent basis. You'd be hard pressed to find such a complete package out there right now.

But the whole thing was on another level this time for sure! The voice, the fun they all were having, the sound, the playing. All of it was as good as it gets in every way.
Old Apr-07-2009, 8:59 AM

USA

Icon32

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that yes, I did see Marc at the show and chatted briefly. I hadn't seen Marc since the DVD shoot a few years ago.

There were several celebrities in the audience, but the biggest one there I had the pleasure of talking to was our very own Satan (Howie)

Old Apr-07-2009, 10:17 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Marc Fevre View Post
It was an amazing show, with an amazing band; Glenn HAS to record with Steve Stephens on the next album! What a drummer!!!

Very nice to talk with Chip, albeit briefly, I was very much under the weather so not as social as I might have been otherwise, but it was nice to see an old "friend" just the same.

In any case, I have to agree that Jeff Kollman did a magnificent job this time out - his playing was nothing short of perfect; so much more of a better fit than last time.

As for Glenn, all I can say is that I was floored by the vibrance, the energy and the pure musicianship that was on display. Amazing! If the singer thing doesn't work out, he'll do very well as a bass player I think...

-Marc Fevre

Oh gosh- now I realize it was you sitting in front of me upstairs Mark...I knew Id seen you somewhere GH related and that you were one of us from here...just wasn't sure who u were.
Old Apr-07-2009, 6:45 PM

USA

Hey John,

No big! In truth, I was so tired and out of it I was barely there if you know what I mean.

Still, Glenn & Co. cut right through the fog as soon as they hit the first note, so all was well at the end!

"Another time, Highlander!"

-M
Old Apr-09-2009, 3:33 PM

USA

You can now find a few more new pix from the other night over in the "Pix" section of the site

Old Apr-09-2009, 8:59 PM

zUKUSA

Another cool review from The Whisky gig

Quote:
Live Review: Glenn Hughes, at The Whisky, April 4th, 2009.
MetalJazz.com

If a few citizens were standing around looking dazed, like they didn’t know what was happening to them, you could understand that. Glenn Hughes (singer-bassist with Deep Purple, Trapeze, Tony Iommi and, like, Glenn Hughes) came at us in ways nearly forgotten. He slammed the rhythm, the hooks, the virtuosity and (good god) the Voice, and made us submit.

Many attendees had no history with most of the material, which was weighted toward cuts from Hughes’ last three solo albums. But it didn’t matter, because it’s the kind of stuff that makes a strong first impression. Consider the brutal funk and wailing chorus of "Crave," the bastardly riff of the high-stepping "First Underground Nuclear Kitchen" and the slapdown hesitation and howling testimony of "You Got Soul" -- all the black stank of the 1970s, armored with metallic guitar bang.

And that was just the setup from Hughes, a wiry leprechaun raging behind amber lenses, four yards of red scarf and, of course, a big white Fender bass. Now that the sweat was breaking, he wrung us dry with spectacular screams and virtuoso melismas on Deep Purple’s fist-waving blues "Mistreated," making us forget that the song was and remains a spotlight for the other Purple lungsman of 1974, David Coverdale. Hughes’ voice throughout dripped with passion while held under his absolute rule -- theatrical, yes, but in service to the Life Force rather than to the demigods of cheap technique. One must bend a knee to Hughes’ sound technician; his rapport engendered clarity and fullness, and the layers of echo trailed off just right at the end of phrases. Hughes was NAILING falsettos an arm’s length from the mike.

Hughes lighted candles at major stations of his career, with shout-outs to the late guitarists involved: He bumped strong on the ax-whanging "Gettin' Tighter" (props to Tommy Bolin’s short Purple tenure) and crooned delicately on the urban soul ballad "Coast to Coast," first recorded in 1972 with Trapeze (flowers for the band’s recently deceased guitarist, Mel Galley) and then on Hughes’ 1982 collaboration with Pat Thrall.

The band killed. Hughes exercised considerable low-end string authority while burbling underwater solo effects on the Rufus-like "We Shall Be Free"; he plucked the bottom in several unnatural positions; he even switched to guitar for a heart-straight lead on "Coast to Coast." Frizz-haired keyboardist Ed Roth, wearing a Harpo Marx expression, located chicken-waffling Fender Rhodes inversions not heard since the days of the Commodores, and busted out the Stevie Wonder horn charts of the giddy "Love Communion" with nothin’ but his synth. Watching Jeff Kollman should be a part of every guitarist’s education: the plutocratic tone from his Bogner amp, the mastery of effects (Hughes’ psychedelic side did not suffer), the dead-on rhythm, the freaky yet listenable Arabic-inflected leads, the ease with which he did everything, from shuffling his feet to tuning Hughes’ bass when they switched. Drummer Steve Stevens was just how Hughes described him -- "a bad, bad boy," flexible and so steady.

Before the encore, Hughes let us yell for five minutes, returning with a longtime pal who’d been boogieing in the audience -- Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith, introduced as "Will Ferrell from ‘Saturday Night Live,’" and you gotta admit there’s a resemblance. Smith abused Stevens’ kit with floorboard-shaking thuggery on the Hendrixy "Soul Mover" and the closing blowdown on Deep Purple’s churning urn of "Burn," which managed to gas up crowd expectations yet show some personalized irreverence for the ’74 harmonic structure.

If you’re behind the classic rock/funk experience, be advised that Glenn Hughes ain’t no oldies act, he is BRINGING IT with fresh boot all the time.

http://www.metaljazz.com/2009/04/live_review_glenn_hughes
Old Apr-10-2009, 3:06 AM

France

thanks for this amazing review !
Old Apr-10-2009, 8:08 AM

USA

Icon32

Great review. If I were able to put words to paper like that, my review would have been very similar. Since I'm not able to, I'll sum up the show in one sentence. A kick-ass show from the very first note to the last.

The reviewer mentions the "virtuoso melismas" of Mistreated. I have that part on video. If i can just figure out my problem with the two videos, I'll get them posted here. The other video is of Glenn's great fret work during Gettin' Tighter.

Old Apr-11-2009, 6:19 AM

USA

Great review but......

Wiry Leprechaun?

Sorry-Doesn't quite fit my impression of our Mr. Hughes.

CG
Old Apr-11-2009, 8:41 AM

USA

That's what I was thinking too. There is no real leprachaun look about Glenn.
Went to post the few pics I got at the show and they were awful. G looks like an orange blur; which wouldn't be so bad were he wearing orange
Old Apr-15-2009, 12:21 AM

zUKUSA

Here's a brief snippet from "Burn" featuring Chad on the drums
Old Apr-15-2009, 2:26 AM

France

thanks david !

and a little piece of Soul Mover

Old Apr-15-2009, 7:50 AM

USA

Wink Always after me Lucky Charms...

Now..if it were Steve Marriott, well, the leprechaun description would be far more apt...but at about five foot ten or so I can't imagine Glenn in green tights, dancing a jig over a pot of gold....

Otherwise the review is dead on and the quality and clarity of the sound is noted again....Take a bow Lars!! I was thinking that the sound at the Varvatos boutique would be too loud and fuzzy but no....crisp and clean!

I am glad that John, Frank and Chip got to experience the force of nature that is Papa G!! We got spoiled here in NYC!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Apr-15-2009, 8:30 AM

USA

Good videos, but not enough of Mr. Hughes in the snippets. Would like to see more of the exceptional energy coming from Glenn, which was incredible.

Wish we could relive that night over and over again.
Old Apr-15-2009, 10:14 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by FCinnella View Post
Good videos, but not enough of Mr. Hughes in the snippets. Would like to see more of the exceptional energy coming from Glenn, which was incredible.

Here 'ya go Frank Here's a snippet from the opener, "Crave"

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
1970, 1972, 1974, 1982, 2009, album, albums, bands, bass, Chad Smith, Chords, classic rock, Coast to Coast, David, Deep Purple, drums, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, glenn_hughes, guitar, history, Jeff Kollman, Los Angeles, Mel Galley, Pat Thrall, Pix, related, solo, soul mover, tommy bolin, Trapeze, Video, Whisky, YouTube