g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar-27-2009, 12:19 PM

UK

Icon34 Classic Rock May09 - 50 Greatest Singers

You may recall that Classic Rock had an online thing for you to vote for the Voice of Rock. Well, the May 2009 edition has the "50 Greatest Singers In Rock". Although, bizarrely, only the top 30 appear in the magazine and they tell you to visit their website for the rest! but i couldnt find any mention of anything

the list was compiled by "votes cast online, CR critics, and some singers"

"the emphasis had to be on consumate vocal ability rather than crowd pleasing mic stand twirling antics."

Here's the Top 30

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Paul Rodgers
3. Robert Plant
4. Steve Marriot
5. Rod Stewart
6. Ian Gillan
7. Ronnie Dio
8. Sammy Hagar
9. Steve Perry
10. Janis Joplin
11. Noddy Holder
12. Steven Tyler
13. Roger Daltry
14. Meat Loaf
15. David Coverdale
16. Paul Stanley
17. Jonh Lennon
18. Ann Wilson
19. Layne Staley
20. Steve Winwood
21.Chris Robinson
22. Jim Morrison
23. Robin Zander
24. Glenn Hughes
25. Danny Bowes
26. Steven Wilson
27. Brian Connolly
28. Phil Mogg
29. Lou Gramm
30. James Hetfield

Discuss!

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Mar-27-2009, 12:25 PM

UK

heres the bit on Glenn
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
CR_May09001.jpg  

Old Mar-27-2009, 1:07 PM

Latvia

I think, the most important is your own top of greatest singers. In my Glenn Hughes is №1!
Old Mar-27-2009, 1:58 PM

USA

Icon33

Two names make this list a joke: Janis Joplin and Noddy Holder. Make that three...Rod Stewart. They're great at what they do, but what they do best is not singing. Certainly not well enough to be ranked in the top ten (or eleven). Not by a long shot.

Todd
Old Mar-27-2009, 5:31 PM

NewZealand

Still... great to see the three Purple monsters in there!
Old Mar-28-2009, 1:44 AM

USA

What's up with that? Come on Classic Rock magazine let's see the "Voice of Rock" results
Old Mar-28-2009, 6:30 AM

UK

Load of old poop....Lennon was hardly a vocal giant (I loved his writing)
Old Mar-28-2009, 2:25 PM

UK

Paul Stanley, Alice Cooper, John Lennon. The list is endless. What a load of rubbish.

Freddy, Ronnie, Ian G [even if he does slag Glenn], DC all deserve to be here but most are codswallop!

Paul
Old Mar-28-2009, 5:20 PM

NewZealand

I must say I'm glad to see Lou Gramm in there, I saw him live with Foreigner back in the early 90's before his brain tumor and he was f*ckn awesome!! one of the greats!
Old Mar-29-2009, 6:00 AM

USA

the only 2 people that i see ahead of Glenn on this list that are / were even compairable singers to G. , in my opinion are Freddie Mercury and Ann Wilson. Some of the other people on the list certainly are / were good vocalist for their bands, but when you actually see Glenn sing, you know that almost no one can compair.
peace,
Old Mar-29-2009, 2:42 PM

UK

I covered my eyes when I heard about this coming out. I don't buy the damn thing any more and feel all the happier without it. I won't do my usual ramble, but basically this is irresponsible and unprofessional journalism. I don't care if Deaf Barton has the Pulitzer Prize (which he hasn't), you have to have the courage to stick to your guns and let the people have their say. A poll is a poll is a POLL.

From a personal and PRofessional point of view, I am sick to the back teeth of Classic Shock's shoddy attitude to Glenn. Forgetting to put our paid ad in for the UK tour last year, allowing Gillian's bitchy schoolgirl jibes to go unchecked by any of us in Glenn's camp here, and now this latest ****e.

Stick the likes of Holder, Stanley, Plant, Gillian, Zander and Glenn on a stage near you in 2009 and who would be last man standing? Glenn could fart better. Ok that's me done...for now
Old Mar-29-2009, 10:20 PM

USA

It's GILLAN, not GILLIAN And how come nobody ever refers to Ray Gillen as Ray GILLIEN..?

Also noticeably missing from the list: John Wetton.

Cheers...Todd
Old Mar-29-2009, 11:51 PM

USA

This list is a complete joke
People like Rod Stewart,Joplin,Holder,Daltry
Stanley,Lennon,Robinson,Morrison & Hetfield
should not even be on the list as far as good rock singers.
Most of them can hardly carry a tune for petes sake
Just because some of them were great song writers or performers has little to do with wether they can sing or not.
Glenn is by far a better singer than most of them
Galleyfan

galleyfan's Sig:SCOTT
Old Mar-30-2009, 12:42 AM

UK

Sorry Todd just wind up time there and I did qualify it by the schoolgirl jest. Maybe I should have stuck to Sinbad.

Yes I totally agree about John Wetton. Fantastic talent, great voice, songwriter but like, Glenn suffers from the affliction of strapping a bass to himself and he even has the cheek to play it well! So he can't be a good singer too can he? Jack Bruce? And where is Chris Cornell? Are classic rock journalists/fans still stuck in such a time warp that they can't recognise 1) new talent or 2) established talent that produces new quality material?
Old Mar-30-2009, 1:03 AM

USA

Quote:
I don't care if Deaf Barton has the Pulitzer Prize (which he hasn't), you have to have the courage to stick to your guns and let the people have their say. A poll is a poll is a POLL.

Well said Keith!
Old Apr-01-2009, 3:36 PM

USA

These stupid polls are the equivalent of racing ones like who was the best F1 Driver. Total wastes of time, just like that dumb hall of shame in Cleveland.

John
Old Apr-02-2009, 3:34 PM

USA

This is really bad. Where is Bernie Shaw ?? Where is David Byron ?? How is Glenn Hughes #24, hell, he should be rated above that if you are including opera singers in the mix. Will never get it, but, what do I know.
Old Apr-02-2009, 3:56 PM

USA

Icon32

In the thread that was started about this on-line poll, I believe I stated in my first post that this would end up being a bull**** poll and they wouldn't use whoever ended up with the most votes. Award shows, Halls of Fame, and polls, they are all worthless crap.

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Apr-03-2009, 7:58 AM

USA

Just got my issue in the mail yesterday. Amazing that Queen made the cover. Again. Next month must be Guns N Roses' turn. Again. The next three issues after those should, by my calculations, be Hendrix, Thin Lizzy and Pink Floyd. Again. Then it's back to Queen. Again.

Cheers...Todd. Again.
Old Apr-03-2009, 8:04 AM

USA

I'm sorry that you lost your citizenship.
Living in a Conestoga wagon can't be much fun.

Old Apr-03-2009, 11:08 AM

UK

Originally Posted by toadsterama View Post
Just got my issue in the mail yesterday. Amazing that Queen made the cover. Again. Next month must be Guns N Roses' turn. Again. The next three issues after those should, by my calculations, be Hendrix, Thin Lizzy and Pink Floyd. Again. Then it's back to Queen. Again.

Cheers...Todd. Again.

you forgot Led Zep/ Jimmy Page/Robert Plant

Old Apr-04-2009, 1:34 PM

USA

MEAT LOAF AT 14 AND GLENN HUGHES AT 24?!?!!?
Old Apr-08-2009, 8:58 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Icon34 Letters to the Editor(s)

I just sent off my letter to the editor(s)...not expecting it to be published, but quite satisfied that they will have to read it, so please join me by bombarding these 3 email addresses with similar facts...feel free to take from my letter for when composing yours

sian.llewellyn@futurenet.co.uk

scott.rowley@futurenet.co.uk

classicrock@futurenet.co.uk

Quote:
To: Communication Breakdown, CLASSIC ROCK Magazine

Subject: Response to 50 Greatest Singers - May 2009 Classic Rock Magazine issue

Huh?

Glenn Hughes at No.24 - I'm confused, he has well over 400 votes in the online vote you began in January when looking for the "Voice of Rock" and later what turned into the "50 Greatest Singers" as published in the May 2009 issue...so how come this fact isn't even mentioned?

The eventual No.1 singer you have listed as Freddie Mercury, yet in this online vote he received well under a 100 votes! The same goes for the others in front of Glenn Hughes in your final published result. I realize you considered other factors to get the final result, but 400+ votes is 400+ votes! No getting away from that fact!!

I think your magazine does a great disservice to your readers by ignoring the fact that they, the readers, took their own valuable time to participate in your online vote and overwhelmingly decided that Glenn Hughes is indeed the "Voice of Rock"!

Please update and acknowledge the facts.

Thanks.

David Harrison

Old Apr-08-2009, 2:08 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Surprisingly this time (never before), I got a reply from Classic Rock earlier today.

I guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

Quote:
Hi David,

As it says in the magazine, the poll wasn’t exclusively compiled from the web votes, but also through votes from CR writers, artists, and music biz folk (trusted PRs, Djs, promoters etc) - who we asked to vote for their top 5 or 10 singers.

So there were a lot more votes involved than just the web votes. From my memory, Glenn also had multiple votes from some people – I think there was a link on the official site directing people to vote. Which is fine, but obviously distorts votes (we have this all the time with email votes – a record company ‘activates it’s street team’ and next thing you know My Chemical Romance are the greatest band of all time) - so it’s something we take care against.

There is no conspiracy. I have no idea if you are one of the forum members over on Glenn’s site but if you are can you please point out the huge support we’ve given Glenn over the last few years. Some people over there seem to think that we’ve somehow got it in for Glenn – in fact I’d guess we’ve probably given him more column inches than ANY magazine in the past 20 years, certainly any magazine selling more than 5000 copies.

Somehow that’s translated into “Classic Rock insults Glenn Hughes yet again!” I’m getting really tired of it and they’re not doing Glenn any favours.

Best,
Scott

Scott Rowley
Editor In Chief, Classic Rock

Old Apr-08-2009, 2:31 PM

USA

also missing form this list:

-Rob Halford

-Bruce Dickinson

-Tony Martin

-Ozzy Osbourne

-Chris Cornell

-Joe Lynn Turner
Old Apr-11-2009, 12:43 AM

UK

Originally Posted by Keith Thompson View Post
From a personal and PRofessional point of view, I am sick to the back teeth of Classic Shock's shoddy attitude to Glenn. Forgetting to put our paid ad in for the UK tour last year, allowing Gillian's bitchy schoolgirl jibes to go unchecked by any of us in Glenn's camp here, and now this latest ****e.

Gillan's bitching in the DP Special annoyed me too, but there is such a thing as freedom of speech. Why should CR have checked it with Glenn's PR? It was an opinion, nothing else. Gillan wasn't stating anything untrue or potentially libellous.

Weissheim's Sig:cheers
John
Old Apr-11-2009, 12:51 AM

UK

Originally Posted by David View Post
Surprisingly this time (never before), I got a reply from Classic Rock earlier today.

I guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I agree with CR's letter. Multiple / orchestrated voting does distort these online polls, so taking the results and including other criteria is probably the best way to do it. Having said that, the process should be completely transparent.

CR is still the best magazine of its type for me (if they could calm down on the Led Zep and G 'N' R coverage )

John
Old Apr-11-2009, 1:09 AM

UK

Originally Posted by CraveNYC View Post
also missing form this list:

-Rob Halford

-Bruce Dickinson

-Tony Martin

-Ozzy Osbourne

-Chris Cornell

-Joe Lynn Turner

John
Old Apr-11-2009, 2:33 AM

UK

Freedom of speech is a given. It's irresponsible to launch a poll and 1) change its parameters 2) decide half way through that each of the CR staff get 500 votes each.

We don't make these opinions lightly. One of my roles is to sustain good relations with mags like Classic Rock. But they do not have the monopoly on opinion. Neither do I. But fairness should be the overriding factor. That's good journalism. This wasn't. This was circulation marketing.

Regarding the Gillan jibe, again it's the standard of journalism you would expect from an amateur blogger. Nobody at Glenn's camp was called to comment. Standard college stuff. No balance. If somebody slagged you off in the local press, would you expect to be given the opportunity to comment? Isn't that your freedom of speech?
Old Apr-11-2009, 3:24 AM

UK

Originally Posted by Keith Thompson View Post
Freedom of speech is a given. It's irresponsible to launch a poll and 1) change its parameters 2) decide half way through that each of the CR staff get 500 votes each.

To be fair I don't know the background to the poll. If the different factors were made clear at the start that's fine. If the parameters were changed midway through, then I agree with you.

Quote:
Regarding the Gillan jibe, again it's the standard of journalism you would expect from an amateur blogger. Nobody at Glenn's camp was called to comment. Standard college stuff. No balance. If somebody slagged you off in the local press, would you expect to be given the opportunity to comment? Isn't that your freedom of speech?

Gillan's known for shooting his mouth off of late. Do people really take his opinions as gospel and need a corresponding line from Glenn to combat it? Now when it comes to so-called facts, I think they should be challenged (i.e. Gillan's assertion that the average age of Purple's current audience is 18!)

The "Glenn not a bona fide member of Purple" argument is one that you will see time and time again on many Purple forums. It's obviously not one that I agree with, but Gillan spouting it in CR is hardly introducing something radically new into the public domain that needs "balance". I'll agree to disagree with you on this one.

As an aside, I remember Glenn saying fairly negative things about Whitesnake and Rainbow in Kerrang many years ago, with no comeback from Blackmore or Coverdale.

John

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
2009, bands, bass, classic rock, cover, David, foreigner, glenn, Glenn Hughes, journey, press, tour