g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-22-2009, 1:21 PM

UK

Icon32 Over The Rainbow - reviews

some reviews of JLT and Blackmore junior playing together are over at

http://www.deep-purple.net/review-files/overtherainbow/overtherainbow-tour.html

and video footage is at http://www.nevex.tv/video/1257

Set list:

Tarot Woman / Kill the King / Man on the Silver Mountain / Death Alley Driver / Eyes of the World / Ariel / Power / Can't Happen Here / Jealous Lover / Stargazer / Long Live Rock 'n' Roll.

Encores: Since You Been Gone / I Surrender / All Night Long.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Feb-22-2009, 1:27 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
...why? Truely awful
Old Feb-22-2009, 2:03 PM

USA

Icon33

I don't have a problem with what they're doing. If there's a weak link in what was shown on the video, it's JLT. The Dio-era material doesn't really translate well to his voice, just as the JLT-era material wouldn't translate well with Dio singing. I think the rest of the band sounds great.

Cheers...Todd
Old Feb-23-2009, 12:00 AM

UK

hi

Rainbow are one of my favourite bands so to see ex Rainbow members doing this is on the whole ok to me!

Tony Carey seems a bit odd and maybe disinterested. And i know that on The Highway Star there has been a massive row between him and one of the fans who contribute to that site.

JLT does struggle a bit with Dio era songs but lets face it, not many can out-Dio the man himself.

Would like to see them and hear new material from them

Paul
Old Feb-23-2009, 6:32 PM

USA

I would go see this. One comment though...Jurgen needs to find a Strat...there's one available David mentioned on here last month that would fit perfectly. I have a similar Jackson to his and it doesn't do the Rainbow stuff justice like a Strat does.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0139010-305

Off topic but related...I had on the newer duet version of Street of Dreams from Village Latern...Blackmore's Night Sat night as I turned onto the Vegas strip...it seemed like I entered a video as I was singing my head off to the song..and the lyrics just fit the street so well...just doesn't get any better than that.
Old Feb-23-2009, 9:09 PM

USA

Icon33

Fender has just reissued the Ritchie Blackmore Signature Stratocaster...perhaps Jurgen could pick that up, eh John?

Cheers...Todd
Old Feb-24-2009, 12:26 AM

USA

yep- all's he has to do is click the link. I'm thinking of Ebaying my Japan Ritchie and getting the new one. Only thing is, I went through a lot of cruise ship after hours late night Ritchie B blasts of joy with that guitar and I am emotionally attached to all my instruments...I don't know if I can bear to part with it.
Old Feb-25-2009, 1:32 PM

USA

well i learned something today-richie b has a son whose voice sounds like he has never been to england his whole life
Old Feb-25-2009, 5:58 PM

NewZealand

Why would you bother?? JLT can't sing Ronnie and JR Blackmore playing a Jackson!!??? yuck!
Old Feb-26-2009, 2:18 AM

France

pro shot video - Street of dreams - 02-16-2009

http://www.nevex.tv/video/1268
Old Feb-26-2009, 2:06 PM

USA

Originally Posted by tony g View Post
well i learned something today-richie b has a son whose voice sounds like he has never been to england his whole life

Ja..the mama ist deutsche
Old Apr-16-2009, 11:59 PM

UK

Some USA dates for you:

July 6, 2009 - Ocean City Music Pier - Ocean City, New Jersey
July 8, 2009 - The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, Michigan (Opening act for Bachman-Turner Overdrive)
July 10, 2009 - Crocodile Rock Cafe - Allentown, Pennsylvania
July 11. 2009 - The Stone Pony - Asbury Park, NJ

NOTE: The above dates listed are all confirmed and are listed under Tour Dates on the profile page.

Western USA fans - yes, these dates do sound far away. Again, a reminder to everyone that there are more shows in the works and they will be announced as-confirmed.

Welcome to all the new friends and thanks for your support!

~Lorna
Joe's myspace page staff

Old Jun-17-2009, 9:24 AM

USA

A date was added on July 4th in El Paso, TX, a mere 225 mile drive for me. It is an indoor/outdoor festival and the Cult is also appearing. Sounds like an overnighter with Simon !!

Maybe can even talk Chip into the trip
Old Jun-17-2009, 2:53 PM

UK

Tony Carey is no longer in the band and has been replaced by Paul Morris.

"Carey wishes to make it clear that there were no personality issues or clashes involving any other members. Carey is and was dissatisfied with the management, and feels that too many errors were made; unfortunately, the management came with the package, being Joe Lynn Turner's people, and took over from the beginning. 'I wish the lads all the success in the world', says Carey."

Old Jun-18-2009, 2:23 AM

Belgium

I heard that JLT and Carey couldn't get along. I also read the reason for him leaving after Rising was that no one could stand him.
Old Jul-03-2009, 9:29 AM

USA

Heading out Saturday to see OTR in EL Paso, TX. They are on a bill with The Cult, which is not quite what I would have hoped for. Tonight they are in Chicago opening for Billy Squier, whxih I would have really enjoyed.
I will do a review when I get back on Monday and maybe even some pics.
Old Jul-03-2009, 12:11 PM

USA

I'm sure you're gonna enjoy that show Frank. I'm glad that you're gonna get the chance to see them. no such luck here in S.C. I'll be looking forward to your review.
peace,
Old Jul-06-2009, 7:35 AM

USA

EL Paso July 4th

OK. Went to El Paso to see Over the Rainbow on Saturday night at a 'street festival' in Downtown. I will start by saying that the festival itself was a disappointment since the vendors were either beer or tacos. Really weren't other choices unless you include the dried out beef ribs. Now people who know me also know I love food !! So bad food and a stage between two large brick buildings doesn't exacvtly make me scream "WOW".

I checked out a few local bands on both the rock and Latino stages, and the Latino bands are just cool !! Dancing, horns, drums and really upbeat. Very enjoyable. Then to the main stage for "Lacuna Coil" who was, surprisingly, quite good. The band is very tight and the female singer can really put it out there. Since I had no idea who they were beforehand I just let the sounds take over and was glad I did. WIll probably check them out again.

Finally OTR came out at 9:00 and they were very loud !!! Tarot Woman opened the show and off they went from there. Now, I am not a reviewer, so I will just add what I think people would want to hear:

1) JLT CAN sing Dio. The you tube videos do not do him justice, and even though he doesn't SOUND like Dio, he certainly pulls the songs off very weel. I don't know where the "awful" reviews come from, but I just didn't see that.

2) Juergen Blackmore is NOT Richie Blackmore. He looks just like him, stands like him and moves like him and is adequate, but he is not Dad.

3) Bobby Rondinelli is the absolute best at his craft. No rock drummer gets my blood moving like Bobby. I may be a little tainted in my views since I have known him for a long time and have seen him perform over 100 times in different acts, but he always leaves me shaking my head and mumbling "incredible".

4) Tony Carey's replacement who was not introduced was not Tony Carey. A little loud and overbearing at times.

If you want to hear Dio, go see him. If you want to hear Blackmore, put on some albums. If you want to have a good time and enjoy a show, go see Over the Rainbow. Even with sound and monitor problems the show was terrific. All the popular numbers from all incarnations except for King of Dreams, and, while not awe inspiring, much better than I would have expected based on the reviews I had read here and on some other sites. Believe me, if Paul Rodgers can try and do Freddie Mercury and be called good, then JLT doing Dio is at least that.

Overall, a really good time, good set and I will go see them anytime they are in my neighborhood (or within 300 miles).
Old Jul-06-2009, 9:47 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
In case you missed it Frank, here's a link to a video news segment that local station, KVIA/ABC-7, had on their nightly broadcast covering the band's performance and interviews at the street festival.

http://www.KVIA.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=3928858&at1=News
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-06-2009, 10:29 AM

Netherlands

Seemed they had a nice crowd going at the street festival. I'm heavy into Rainbow but Im not really excited by this Over the Rainbow stuff. Let's just hope daddy joins these guys on stage during one of their shows....
Old Jul-06-2009, 4:02 PM

USA

Icon33

Thanks for the review, Frank. I've been a longtime fan of Bobby Rondinell, having bought countless albums he's featured on over the years. I've seen him live with both Quiet Riot and Blue Oyster Cult, and even interviewed him for the (currently defunct) Fuze web site. Bobby's as solid as they come, and I think of him in the same league as Carmine Appice. Neither one of them is terribly creative or exciting, but they have a few tricks up their sleeves and their catalogs speak for themselves.

Todd
Old Jul-07-2009, 3:04 AM

France

thank you very much for your review !
Old Jul-07-2009, 4:00 AM

Belgium

Originally Posted by toadsterama View Post
Thanks for the review, Frank. I've been a longtime fan of Bobby Rondinell, having bought countless albums he's featured on over the years. I've seen him live with both Quiet Riot and Blue Oyster Cult, and even interviewed him for the (currently defunct) Fuze web site. Bobby's as solid as they come, and I think of him in the same league as Carmine Appice. Neither one of them is terribly creative or exciting, but they have a few tricks up their sleeves and their catalogs speak for themselves.

Todd

Bobby is indeed a very good drummer. I always wondered why he didn't do anything between leaving Rainbow and joining Quiet Riot.

Not sure what you mean about Carmine Appice not being very creative, he's one of my favourite drummers.
Old Jul-07-2009, 7:16 AM

USA

Icon33

After Rainbow, Bobby did pop up on albums by other artists. He recorded an album with his brother Teddy and Ray Gillen, and also German singer Doro Pesch. Then of course he joined Blue Oyster Cult for a decade or so, appearing on two albums and a live DVD with them.

I love Carmine Appice. I have a bunch of his stuff with Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Ozzy, King Kobra, Black Roses, Cactus, Rick Derringer, Blue Murder, Vanilla Fudge, etc. I think he is a rock solid drummer. The guy has had a legendary career. But he's not a Neil Peart. I've never heard him play anything that I thought was amazing, surprising or really eye-opening, that's all. No disrespect to the man is intended. He is who he is, and he does what he does very well. Much like Rondinelli and the late Cozy Powell. I also like Carmine's brother Vinny, who I've seen a number of times and who himself has had a long and varied career with Derringer, Black Sabbath, Dio, 3 Legged Dogg, WWIII and now Heaven & Hell.

Cheers...Todd
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to toadsterama For This Useful Post:
Old Jul-07-2009, 7:27 AM

USA

Originally Posted by David View Post
In case you missed it Frank, here's a link to a video news segment that local station, KVIA/ABC-7, had on their nightly broadcast covering the band's performance and interviews at the street festival.

http://www.KVIA.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=3928858&at1=News

Thanks David.
Noticed how the news channel misspelled Bobby Rondinelli as Rondenelly.
Reminds me of another brilliant musician who has his name misspelled constantly...mmmm Mr Glen Hugs
Old Jul-07-2009, 7:32 AM

USA

When I think Rock drummers I think Bobby, Chad, Peart and Copeland above the others. Of course the 'crossovers' like Bruford are, well, a bit more complete, although Copeland and Peart can both do anything from 4/4 Motorhead to U.K.
Old Jul-07-2009, 12:52 PM

Belgium

Originally Posted by toadsterama View Post
After Rainbow, Bobby did pop up on albums by other artists. He recorded an album with his brother Teddy and Ray Gillen, and also German singer Doro Pesch. Then of course he joined Blue Oyster Cult for a decade or so, appearing on two albums and a live DVD with them.

I love Carmine Appice. I have a bunch of his stuff with Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Ozzy, King Kobra, Black Roses, Cactus, Rick Derringer, Blue Murder, Vanilla Fudge, etc. I think he is a rock solid drummer. The guy has had a legendary career. But he's not a Neil Peart. I've never heard him play anything that I thought was amazing, surprising or really eye-opening, that's all. No disrespect to the man is intended. He is who he is, and he does what he does very well. Much like Rondinelli and the late Cozy Powell. I also like Carmine's brother Vinny, who I've seen a number of times and who himself has had a long and varied career with Derringer, Black Sabbath, Dio, 3 Legged Dogg, WWIII and now Heaven & Hell.

Cheers...Todd

Black Roses!!!!

I used to have those songs but then my computer crashed, too bad.
I think Carmine's playing on Beck's Lady is pretty amazing. And Vinny is indeed very good.
Old Jul-07-2009, 2:18 PM

USA

Icon33

Black Roses is a TERRIBLE film, with a GREAT soundtrack! It's unfortunately long out of print. If you'd like those couple songs Carmine recorded with Mark Free and the gang, send me your email in a private message. I'll send them over to you.

Now THERE's an underrated vocalist - MARK FREE! He's since gone under the knife and resurfaced as Marcie Free. What an amazing voice. And although he only recorded a handful of albums with King Kobra, Unruly Child, Signal and a couple solo albums, the performances will knock your socks off. I think my favorite is the Black Roses song "Paradise". Wow.

Glenn should record a duet with Marcie Free. Two incredible voices..

Cheers...Todd
Old Jul-07-2009, 4:41 PM

USA

The Showman himself...

Carmine Appice was arguably the first rock showman when it came to the drums; he took the stick twirling acrobatics of Dino Danelli and welded them to a monstrously powerful backbeat..check out those old videos of the Fudge back in the day and you see him in full throttle. And he's no slouch as a singer either; he and his blood brother Tim Bogert sing up a storm on the BBA album.

Cozy Powell could almost be the British version of Carmine Appice; he came up around the same time and didn't bury you in intricate figures but simply rocked the engine room....One thing I remember reading about Cozy when he passed away was that when he played a session he really brought out the best in the other players. Don Airey relates a story about a session he was playing for an upcoming CD by Colin Blunstone; the session was unfocused and meandering....Cozy was called in and everything was suddenly back on course. I believe it was the last session he played on before his death.....he loved fast cars and was, by all accounts, an excellent driver.....yet a blown tire on a wet road can take the best man...

I remember Todd relating the drum duel between Carmine and Dom Famularo at the Lissa Wales benefit....Todd thought Carmine would wipe the floor with Dom...boy, did he get a surprise! Dom is the guy who can handle anything from 4/4 to the most twisted progressive time signatures....

Over The Rainbow are playing the Stone Pony in Asbury Park this summer...might have to take a road trip!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Jul-07-2009, 7:10 PM

USA

Icon33

I don't think I've ever...ever...seen a drum performance I was more amazed by than Dom Famularo's. And I had never even heard of him before that.

Todd

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
013, 2009, album, albums, bands, David, drums, guitar, MySpace, related, solo, tour, Video