g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar-22-2004, 3:59 AM

Germany

Bochum Zeche Review & Pix

Ok, I did not have a camera, so I cannot submit any pictures, but here are my views on this night:

As soon as the roadie on stage gives a sign to the FOH mixer he immediately hits stop on the CD player - no fade out, just a harsh stop and switching off the lights at the same moment. Are Joe and Glenn that desperate to hit the stage? No - the audience first has to listen to a complete HTP song played from CD...at GIG LEVEL. A truely strange kind of beginning for a show that I have waited for for a long time (since I missed the HTP one tour) and wasn't sure that I'd see it since Joe had suffered from a bad cold and the previous concert had to be cancelled.

I was kind of prepared to see a weak performance from Mr. Turner. I haven't seen him perform live before - but to cut a long story short - he wasn't giving anything less than 100% that night. The man is truely amazing. (or the Czech drugs are, I don't know)

The gig itself was a blast. In the beginning the audience seemed to be a little bit reserved and hesitant - it was a cold rainy day outside - but as the show got tighter the fans started to "lose themselves and watched the band...."

I guess it was pretty much the same set list as in other HTP2 shows with all the "hits" we wanted to hear and sing. Mistreated had the most wonderful Stevie Wonderish soul stuff in the middle. While Joe is a superb rock vocalist, Glenn really has the gift to strike a chord inside of me - I don't know how he does it, but while Joe's voice is the flame Glenn really is the spark itself. I woke up feeling terrible for all different sorts of reasons that day and now I'm still electified and excited about Glenn's performance. And while delivering seriously amazing performances he does not take everything too serious. When Joe handed over to Glenn for some "stuff that's gonna kick your ass" Glenn replied that he prefers "look at some arses...but not kick them" these days.

JJ played some fantastic and very explosive guitar solos. His sound was amazingly fat and strong. Very cool performance indeed. The keyboard player used some sounds that got onto my nerves, though. Sometimes his sounds were VERY loud - yet still it was alost impossible to hear WHAT he was playing. I don't like modern synth sonds very much in rock and roll music and I truley believe that some good old analog style synth sounds would have suited better. In "Spotlight Kid" for example I saw many guys in the audience cover their ears. The synth solo was just so ear piercingly loud. Still, I couldn't tell you if he was playing the original solo or something completely different. I liked the drum sound, though. Apart from the fact that Glenn's timing keeps on moving (especially in "You keep on moving" - it's a slow song and therefore harder to play!) and the poor drummer having to keep up with Glenn. Although technically it was on the edge of a bad performance it doesn't really matter that much in a live situation I believe.

I just hope that Glenn will take the chance to play some solo gigs again soon in Germany. I really enjoyed all the Rainbow/Deep Purple stuff but I'd also love to hear some of his solo work, especially from SITKOR.

Old Mar-22-2004, 5:20 AM

Netherlands

Here some pix of the gig...Take care

Arjen
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
LiveReviews_BochumZekeReview-1.jpg   LiveReviews_BochumZekeReview-2.jpg   LiveReviews_BochumZekeReview-3.jpg   LiveReviews_BochumZekeReview-4.jpg   LiveReviews_BochumZekeReview-5.jpg  
Old Mar-22-2004, 10:49 AM

UK

Glenn really has the gift to strike a chord inside of me - I don't know how he does it, but while Joe's voice is the flame Glenn really is the spark itself. I like that expression Oliver, and I'm sure we'd all agree that we don't quite know how Glenn does it but time and time and time again - he does! You can't quite put that feeling into words so you just need to savour every second of his live performances.

A pity you weren't happy with parts of the show. Others have commented on how loud some shows have been, but I've personally never had a problem. Did you get the chance to say hello to the band after the show?

And Arjen - ace pictures! The one of JJ is particularly striking; probably the best I've seen of him so far. Do you remember which song was being performed when you took picture 4?

Thank you both.
Old Mar-22-2004, 12:08 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
You can find some more Pix from the Zeche, Bochum show by visiting the Rock Avenue web site:

http://www.rock-avenue.de/HT/ht.html

In addition, you can read a brief review, but in German only:

http://www.rock-avenue.de/Live_Revie...e_reviews.html
Old Mar-23-2004, 12:58 AM

UK

Fantastic - thanks David!
Old Mar-23-2004, 10:47 AM

Netherlands

Thanks for the compliment Shirl.
Pic no 4 was taken during Stormbringer. They really got the crowd going at that moment

Regards
Arjen
Old Mar-24-2004, 6:36 AM

Ireland

Here's one from the show featuring German guitar maestro, Axel Rudi Pell, hanging out afterwards with Glenn and Joe

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
cover, David, Deep Purple, GHPG.net, glenn, guitar, HTP, Pix, tour