g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-02-2004, 8:00 PM

Japan

Update from Japan

Now it is almost 4p.m. in Japan on Feb 3rd.

Some guys said to have already departed for the Osaka venue in which HTP 2004 first show will be held tonight.

Keep you updated.
Old Feb-03-2004, 5:14 AM

UK

Fedor has sent this message to Glenn's board, and I'm sure he won't mind me copying it across for everyone. It reads as follows:

Thanks to our man in Japan mr. Tony Takano, here's the setlist of
the setlist of the first 2004 HTP gig from 3 Feb 2004 in Osaka, Japan:

1.Hold On
2.You Cant Stop Rock and Roll
3.Death Alley Driver
4.Losing My Head
5.Alone I Breathe
6.Mistreated
7.Street of Dreams
8.Gettin' Tighter
9.You Keep On Moving
10.I Surrender
11.Ride the Storm

(encore)

12.Devil's Road
13.Spotlight Kid
14.Burn

Interesting setlist, though only 3 songs of the new album were played.

Great start guys, and thank you Tony!

cheers,

- Fedor
Old Feb-03-2004, 7:39 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
...and here's some Memorabilia that Tony kindly contributed for all of us to see

Courtesy: Tony Y Takano
Old Feb-03-2004, 10:29 PM

UK

Thanks very much for those, Shirean.
Presumably the photo that Glenn signed is one of Tony's own?
Old Feb-04-2004, 12:42 AM

Japan

Dear Shirl,

That's right. It is my 1975 DP Japan tour pamphlet which GH kindly signed. Glenn told me that he had had the same one but he lost leaving it to a hotel.

I joked 'I can't give you mine' and he said 'No no I am not taking yours' and we laughed.
Old Feb-04-2004, 1:49 AM

Finland

Hello Tony,
thanks a lot for updates and especially for setlist!!! I think that setlist is quite interesting - of course they have to do those DP and Rainbow classics, ones that they played, are sort of mandatory in Japan I quess...

But what is more important, is the fact that they played 6 HTP songs! I think that is quite many! They believe in their new stuff and want to play it to the people... GOOD!!! I just wish that they would add a couple of new tunes more to up coming shows! ...well, I consider "You Keep On Moving" and "Burn" as HTP songs anyway...

thanks again Tony!

Br,

T
Old Feb-04-2004, 12:29 PM

USA

Tony has let us know that the set list for the second show in Nagoya last night was the same as the first in Osaka.

Although he does mention there were a couple of extra songs that were apparently going to be played, but in the end weren't - "Highway Star" was one, and unsure on the other. They were scrubbed off the list via a Sharpie (magic marker)!

Thursday is a day-off, next performance is on Friday in Tokyo.

Thanks to Tony for the continued updates
Old Feb-04-2004, 10:41 PM

UK

I'm with you there Tero. Six HTP songs is great, and no "Highway Star" is good. I'm pleasantly surprised to see "Getting Tighter" in there, and thrilled to bits that "You Keep On Moving" has returned. I hope it's a duet like on Joe's Holy Man tour rather than Glenn doing it alone, because I felt that was one of the highlights of Joe's show...which is where of course this HTP thing stemmed from!

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Old Feb-05-2004, 2:25 PM

USA

Great reports, Tony!!!
We hope for lots more from the Tokyo
show/shows that you will be going to.
And we want pictures, too....lots of pictures!!!
And where's the picture of you and Glenn?
And sing the back-up vocals, NICE AND LOUD!!!!

Hoping that you have a great time with Glenn,
Grace

Old Feb-06-2004, 3:41 AM

Japan

Grace,

As for the pictures on stage, it is strictly prohibted for us to take so there's nobody taking pictures except professional camera-man(Maybe for Burrrn magazine?) and JLT site owner Kaoru who is going to send pictures to David/Fedor tomorrow. Sorry for this.

As for snap shots, I will try to catch our man to pause with me tomorrow!!
Old Feb-06-2004, 4:52 AM

zUKUSA

Tony was kind enough to send us the following news...before hitting the sack after what was a very long and enjoyable night

Tonight it was the 1st night in Tokyo.....

I was there but I was blown away by the performance and am not sure about the set list.
If any correction is made, I will let you know but I think it was the same as the previous shows.

Highway Star was not played.

Topics:
  • GLENN appeared on the stage wearing a big fashionable hat on.

• JOE played red Les Paul. GLENN played Fender Jazz Bass (alternative spare was ESP)

• GLENN had the 3rd string broken during Mistreated but finished the song without any problem.

• While the bass was being swapped after the song, the band was about to start the next song then GLENN stopped the band and started to dance with JOE. The audience was so lucky to see Glenn and Joe dancing

• GLENN used Auto-Wah during Getting Tighter and You Keep On Moving.[/list]Tomorrow is the 2nd night in Tokyo. Will keep you updated.

Many thanks Tony, look forward to hearing all about it
Old Feb-06-2004, 5:24 AM

Japan

The set list of the first night in Tokyo was the same as the ones in the last two shows. To be honest, I have a few complaints about the set list, the HTP2 songs and the mixer. But, the bottom line is that I really enjoyed the show! Glenn looked young as if in his Deep Purple days. His vocal was very strong from a low note to a high note, and almost perfect. Joe was also in a very good shape. I will take more pictures tomorrow.
Ko
Old Feb-06-2004, 6:16 AM

USA

...and here is one of the pictures Ko took for us all...you'll find more over at the HTP Supporters Club

GLENN explaining to a bass technician where one of the strings was broken during Mistreated - he said the same piece was broken 3 times in his last 7 gigs!

Picture Courtesy: Ko Mitani
Old Feb-06-2004, 12:02 PM

USA

Sounds like a great set list....please no MK2 stuff guys....you're own material is worthy.

Probably the reason the string is breaking at that point so many times there is that the saddle (where the string sits where the man's finger is pointing) has some sharp points on it that are cutting into the string. It's very annoying and something guitarists have to deal with as well.

John
Old Feb-06-2004, 1:32 PM

Japan

I am sorry for the trouble but it was very interesting to see how Glenn managed the trouble as professional musician.

When the string is broken, he immediately noticed to the crew to bring the alternative bass. Then he pulled and streched the broken but hanging string not to bother him playing.

Then he carried on switching his fingering positions to the ones on the remaining strings.

Then he noticed to the crew that the he can carry on without bass swapped.

He did all of these by singing and playing the song perfectly!!!! He really well managed the trouble.

P.S. Ko-san, I did not realise you were there ! We may see each other tonight!!

Old Feb-07-2004, 5:23 AM

Japan

Tony-san, I missed you tonight. There were so many Japaneseノ.
All the topics you mentioned drew my attention, too.

Glenn was also very proud of himself for the way he handled the situation when the string was broken. He told me that because he is very calm recently, he did not get panicked.

Ko
Old Feb-07-2004, 6:56 AM

USA

HTP - Live In Tokyo - Saturday, February 7th, 2004

Picture Courtesy: Ko Mitani

You can also view a ton more pix that Ko took last night by visiting his Yahoo! Photos album - many thanks Ko

In addition, Tony sent us another report

Saturday night in Tokyo...

It was the night!! They smoked...No, No they burnt down the whole house to the ground!!! It was the very best show ever from the beginning till the end (even amongst the shows I have ever seen).

The set list was the same as previous nights. BUT! HTP was so hot tonight and they also loved the audience so much!!

Glenn’s bass was like thunder roaring and Joe was singing like hurricane. Glenn attracted the whole audience by his super performance on "Mistreated" and the whole band was ignited. I can not have any other words to describe the show but I felt some sort of super chemical tonight. Glenn seemed to be very happy not only because his bass was fine today but the audience reacted to his every sing and move.

I can not forget about the gig tonight forever. HTP will land Nagano tomorrow to finish their Japan tour and the target will be locked on to Europe next. Beware. They are getting hotter and hotter.
Old Feb-07-2004, 7:05 AM

Japan

Ko san !! You made it!! Thank you for your Wondeful pictures !!!
Old Feb-07-2004, 8:31 AM

UK

Ko - thank you so much for sharing your wonderful pictures with us! You've certainly been very busy!

Tony - it certainly sounds like you've been part of one of the best gigs ever. Isn't it wonderful for Glenn (and Joe Lyn) to have so many followers all over the world?

I hope we have as much fun in Europe as you have all had in Japan.
Old Feb-07-2004, 3:58 PM

Japan

Yes, it was a wonderful night. It was the best GH performance ever (in my limited experience). I have a pretty bad lower back pain this morning , although I need to fly to the US this afternoon. I remember Glenn kept stretching his lower back while signing on tour T-shirts for the fans last night. We all are getting older.

As for the pictures, I am sorry that many of them are out of focus. There are so many restrictions to take these pictures and one of the rules was that I could not use a flash, which might have resulted in this problem. Anyway, I should not complain. I would like to thank Glenn, Mark (HTP manager) and all the other people who kindly let me take these pictures.

To all my fellow GH fans in Europe:
Be prepared! As Tony-san said, they are super hot and even getting better!!

Ko
Old Feb-07-2004, 4:19 PM

USA

Curious as to what songs Joe strapped on the guitar for and if he played any solos? I'd love to see him play some lead on his solo records.

Frank B.
Old Feb-07-2004, 5:49 PM

Japan

Dear Frank,

To make sure, I will ask the others on which song Joe was playig the guitar but as far as I remember,

Losing My Head and Burn but no solos unfortunately.
Old Feb-08-2004, 4:30 AM
lady double dealer

Hi, this is the first time I post my message here... I'm a 28-year old fan of Glenn, living in Tokyo. Nice to meet you all!

I attended the gig in Tokyo on Feb. 7th. It was FANTASTIC!! His bass was roaring, and his voice was strong, striking, and absolutely beautiful. I was lucky enough that I got to talk to him after the show when he signed on my T-shirt. It was one of the best experiences of my life!!

My throat still hurts, 'cause I was screaming Glenn's name for the whole time...
Old Feb-08-2004, 11:13 AM

USA

Welcome Lady Double Dealer - it sounds like you had a great time and really pleased to hear you got the chance to talk to Glenn.

Have you seen him live before - what songs were your favorites of the night??

Look forward to hearing all about it.
Old Feb-08-2004, 11:43 AM

Japan

Hello Lady Double Dealer!

I am glad to see another fan in japan coming here!

Frank B., according to my fellows, on Alone I Breath, Joe was also playing the guitar.
Old Feb-08-2004, 12:49 PM

USA

Apparently at last night's final performance at the Macana in Sendai, Japan - Revelation was to be played, but in the end it wasn't, falling victim to the Sharpie! Also, the set list was shortened by one song, with Burn being left off the final encores.

With the tour now over, I'd just like to say again - Thank You to Tony, Ko and everyone else in Japan who has helped us all keep in touch day-by-day
Old Feb-09-2004, 7:55 AM

UK

hello everyone,

have only recently subscribed to CTC this is my first message. Would like to thank everyone for all the info you've been sharing about the Japanese tour. It sounds like things are going well and can't wait to see HTP at JB's Dudley.
Old Feb-09-2004, 9:25 AM

USA

Welcome steveh, hope you'll give us a full report from the JB's gig. Have a good look around, there's lots to see and hear round here

Meantime, you'll now find some more pix from the Japanese tour over at the HTP Supporters Club

Picture Courtesy: Kaoru Hoshino
Old Feb-09-2004, 11:04 AM
lady double dealer

Thank you Shirean & Tony!

It was actually the 1st time I saw him live... although I've been a big fan of Deep Purple Mk. III & IV for a long time. (I don't know how many times I watched Cal Jam...) My favorite song of the night was definitely "Gettin' Tighter" which featured Glenn's bass solo. I also loved how Mr. Kajiyama played Tomy's riff!
I actually enjoyed all songs and all musicians on stage, but best of all, I was delighted to see Glenn is really enjoying playing music!
Old Feb-18-2004, 11:52 AM

zUKUSA

Many thanks to another of our good friends in Japan - Kaoru, for taking the time to write up her great HTP review from the recent tour and specifically the Sendai show.

Kaoru Hoshino
Joe Lynn Turner Official Fan Site in Japan
"Loving You Endlessly"
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/jltfan/japan/

HTP started the tour from 2 big cities of the Western part of Japan, Osaka to Nagoya. Then they played 2 shows in Tokyo and last they visited Sendai. Sendai, you may not have heard of it before, but it is one of big cities of the NorthEast part of Japan, and it's about 2 hours by Shinkansen-train from Tokyo.

We had chance to see the HTP shows in 2002, But in here Japan, there were so many fans who had been waiting for HTP again, and we were glad to know that they had returned to the stages here in Japan with the HTP2 album. Just GREAT!

This tour had same Japanese band members just like the 2002 HTP Japan tour. Akira Kajiyama on guitar, Yoshihiro Kudo on drums and Toshio Egawa on the keyboards. They are called "Tokyo- Mafia". You know them from the CD "Live in Tokyo", so I'm sure that their good ability is known all over the world. Also it was the 3rd time playing with JLT and GH this time. It seemed that "Tokyo- Mafia" fitted in HTP-team very nicely!

This HTP Japan tour 2004 had the same set list throughout all shows with the exception of the Sendai show. They did not play "Burn" in Sendai only. They did not play any from their recent solo albums. We enjoyed very much, many masterpieces from Rainbow and Deep Purple and HTP1 and we sure welcomed the songs from HTP2.

I went to Tokyo 2-days (6th and 7th Feb) and 8th Feb in Sendai. Shibuya-Quattro has 800 person capacity, the venue was fully occupied on the night of 7th Feb. All shows were the best show ever from the start 'till the end. But I think that the 7th show was the very best show in this tour. I could see that many JLT FC members and enthusiast HTP fans had gathered at near the stage. But also I could see so many excited people who were standing near the back wall of the concert hall. Their shouts were just like a storm! Seems also, our stars were really enjoying the show with smiles.

I was able to see the Sendai show in the center in the front row. I would like to write about 8th Feb - Sendai show.

SENDAI-MACANA is the most smallest hall on this Japan tour, it has only 250 person capacity. BUT this last-day of the tour, 8th Feb was a VERY HOT night! We could see our stars within only half a meter from them mic!

Sure the venue was fully occupied and I heard thunder-screaming by the audience before our HTP and usual "TOKYO-MAFIA" appeared on the stage! The show started with HTP2's speed tune "Hold On" and "Can't Stop Rock'n'Roll" from HTP1. People were going crazy with perfect duos from the start. In fact, I and some Japanese fans guessed the opening-tune as "Revelation", but my guess proved wrong, but it seemed that "Hold On" fits perfectly as the opening tune on this tour.

The next was Rainbow's famous song, "Death Alley Driver", this song had been loved so much by Japanese fans, I heard the chorus from the audience! Next 2 songs were from HTP2, "Losing My Head" and "Alone I Breathe", with JLT as side guitar. "Losing My Head" is one of my favorite songs from HTP2 and I was sure that I would hear it Live! I was so happy to sing this song with JLT and GH - they were standing and singing in front of me...they seemed so happy too.

Then JLT took a small break. The lead went to GH and AKIRA's guitar part - GH attacked us with him super tune, "Mistreated". This song always shook me with his unchanged god voice.

Next the lead went to JLT with masterpiece of the RAINBOW in 1984 ,"Street Of Dreams". Most of Japanese fans could sing this song in English, perfectly! So we loved so much this song. JLT's voice was so tender and powerful. When I listen this song live, I felt that he look me in the dream world of Rainbow's promotion video.

JLT took a break again, GH said to us, "Do you remember California jam??", YES! We never forget it! GH dedicated the song to Tommy Bolin with next song, "Getting Tighter". Deep Purple has many many masterpieces, we were very lucky to get this best selection with YOSHIHIRO's powerful drum solo. Also we can sing "You Keep On Moving, far away far away...." YES next song was "You Keep On Moving". It seemed that GH enjoyed to hear the hamming from audience!

HTP went to JLT's RAINBOW again. Also we have never forget JLT's first RAINBOW tour in 1981, The audience really got louder with "I Surrender". Then they gave us last-song of the show from HTP2 "Ride the Storm". Is this the end? NO ! We want more!!

We could take them back on the stage as soon as they had a small break. And we enjoyed 2 encore songs "Devil's Road" and "Spotlight Kid".

This tour was the third time for Japanese fans. But the legendary TWO were sure overwhelmed by us ALL.

Now, the HTP Japan tour has ended...during past few years, we Japanese fans saw 4 times of GH & JLT shows. In 2000, JLT solo tour with GH, in 2001 HTP tour, 2002 VCR tour and this HTP 2004 tour. Luckily we can enjoy so many shows, and they gave us something different each time. But I'm sure this HTP tour 2004 is the very BEST show in the past few years. We had very best time with HTP.

Thank you very much our JLT and GH. I'm sure that this Europe tour has BIG success!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
1975, 1981, 1984, 1st, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, album, albums, bass, california jam, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHPG.net, glenn, guitar, HTP, Pix, Shirean, solo, tommy bolin, tour, Video, win