g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov-23-2003, 10:41 PM

USA

Icon33 House of Blues Drum off 2003 Review....

What a strange and wild night, that took more bizarre twists and turns than I would have liked. First off, on the way to Hollywood, a Mercedes decided he absolutely would not put up with me in front of him, so he proceeds to chase me down the freeway...So I ended up going back towards home down the ten freeway east, then getting off the freeway suddenly and headed back towards LA. Thankfully I lost him...just another wild day of driving. Thankfull my kart school and racing training pays off in these situations. Then I get to the venue, and I had not purchased a ticket, stupidly, and it seemed that every wannabe drummer and musician and whoever was lined up all the way up around the block onto Sunset Blvd...I hear the sound check, and it's Glenn and Chad and John sound checking on You Fool No One.....sounded fantastic...if only I could get in. While waiting to get in, I spot ex Skid Row's Sebastian Bach getting out of his car, and I say to him "You sing your ass off man" and he puts his fist to mine and says "thanks"...what a cool guy, not like his mercurial reputation. Funny he was doing a show near my home town recently but I wouldn't have dreamed of trying to meet him.

So I just waited for the right moment and walked into the gig. So I get in, just ten minutes before Glenn hits the stage. Burn is utterly fantastic, Glenn is in great voice and Frusciante is just nailing those Blackmore parts note for note. These Chili Pepper guys grew up with this album and it shows. Glenn does the screams on the You Know We had No Time bridges, rather than holding the end notes, but it sounds totally fantastic. The sound is awesome, the mix is perfect. Sail Away is next, and John just nails that guitar sound on the riff, which is using a special harmonizer pedal or whatever, the sound is exactly like Ritchie. Another treat, John is nailing the Coverdale low vocal on this song, and Glenn is playing some bass notes that sound like they are lifted off the album. What a rare treat to hear this song again live. Mistreated is next and the only issue is John didn't quite grasp the feel of the intro, the way Ritchie just shakes the note, it was more mechanical than soulful, it's really the only criticism I could have of John all night. Great vocals by Glenn here of course.....Next up is what I think was the highlight of the set, Lay Down Stay Down....This was a simply awesome version, of a little played classic, Glenn was hitting the notes perfect and the band was smoking on this.....It was even better than the singing on Cal Jam!!!!!! A rousing You Fool No One ends the set. What a fantastic trio these guys made up....great chemistry....Chad Smith was just totally rocking those drums hard, nailing the Ian Paice parts with enthusiasm and vibrancy....what a great player...I'm not a Chili Peppers fan, but they are great players. Chad was just nailing it man!!!!!! John just really nailed the Blackmore feel and parts for the most part. What a fantastic night!!!!!!! Glenn was beaming when we spoke to him after the show...Thank you Glenn!!!! Gabi looked glamourous and fantastic also! We also spent about 10-15 minutes chatting with Chad Smith, what a fantastic bloke he is!!!! He was so enthusiastic about playing with Glenn and playing these songs off of Burn. I was just blown away by his lack of jadedness and how funny and cool a guy he was about this gig. He was as excited as teenager!!!!!! Had a great time hanging out with David as well. It was great for Glenn also to be exposed to the mostly young audience that showed up for this special Guitar Center drum off. His fantastic screams throughout this short set really electrified many in the crowd. I am constantly amazed, inspired and warmed at Glenn's abliities as a fantastic performer and singer. Tonight was one of those nights, and Glenn is so much better than he was in 1974! I managed one or two shots with David's camera, so I hope one of them turns out. I would have taken more, but didn't want to get thrown out after all I'd been through.

JH
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-24-2003, 1:20 AM

Netherlands

Hi John,

What a pleasure to read your review. Thanks so much. It made me feel a little bit like I was there. Great stuff! Sounds like they all had a blast. Interesting to read about Frusciante nailing Blackmore so good. I knew he's a *huge* Hendrix adept, but this is new to me. I'm glad you had a great time and that the show went down so well.

cheers!

- Fedor
Old Nov-24-2003, 5:49 AM

USA

Thanks for that recap, John. Your enthusiasm always shines through! Nice to read about such a great show.

cheers...Todd
Old Nov-24-2003, 1:53 PM

USA

Thanks John for the review. Sounds like a good time was had by all. I kick myself for not going!!

Chip
Old Nov-24-2003, 5:23 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Thanks John - you summed it up perfectly. It was great to hang out with you and thanks for the camera work - hopefully the two you took will come out, should have them in a day or two.

It was actually quite hilarious - outside the venue there were barrels and inside and full to the brim, were people's disposable cameras that were snagged by the bouncers!!

As John mentioned, HOB was completely sold out - it was an "all ages" show, so there were kids everywhere!! I felt quite old!! But it was 'kinda fun as I got to give a few of them a real education about Glenn and his music. There was more than one occassion where these teens were heard saying..."who is this guy? His voice is awesome...how does he do that!?" Well, I couldn't let that opportunity pass by without filling them in on a few things! Glenn certainly made an impression on a lot of them.

I was totally impressed by Chad's playing and John's guitar and excellent vocal work - both were spot on all evening - it really couldn't have gone any better - everyone was just "on" - just a pity it was all over so soon - this trio will be hard to beat if given the chance to play more shows

Glenn and Gabi were as gracious as ever and luckily JohnH was able to catch up with them as they were heading out.

Later JohnH and I managed to get into the Foundation Room where we saw Chad Smith...we couldn't pass up the chance to say "Hi", and for 10 minutes or so we chatted. I mentioned I really liked his contribution to HTP 2, where upon he said, "that's one hot record, I really enjoyed doing it". I then told him that it's now available in the States, which he was very happy to hear about.

So although it was a short evening, it was one of the most enjoyable.

Can't wait for the next one
Old Nov-24-2003, 11:16 PM

UK

Thanks John - do you know I was thinking of power trios and I could not think of more than two quality ones, Trapeze and early Motorhead. Anyway what stood out in your review was the tremendous respect the Peppers have for Glenn. Burn is a subtle album with many songwriting influences weaved in. The songs you mentioned, I'd love to see performed live one day.
Old Nov-25-2003, 1:05 AM

UK

How about ZZ Top Keith?

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Old Nov-25-2003, 1:52 AM

UK

Jimi Hendrix Experince, set the standard I think.......
Old Nov-25-2003, 5:01 AM

USA

What about Taste w/ Rory Gallagher? Oh yeah, and...Venom!

Just kidding on that second one.

Cheers...Todd
Old Nov-25-2003, 11:50 AM

USA

Or how about Cream, Rush, and/or The Police to name a few others?

The power-trio format is a classic one, and there have been a number of great bands that have come out of it.

-Marc
Old Nov-25-2003, 12:43 PM

USA

...here's another great review, hopefully more press coverage will be coming soon...

GLENN HUGHES Joins RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Members On Stage In L.A.!

http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=8739

Old Nov-25-2003, 5:21 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Here are the only 2 pix that came out on the disposable camera - almost better than nothing

GLENN is stage right, Chad center and John stage left

GLENN stage right and Chad center after the final song, You Fool No One

Old Nov-27-2003, 2:47 AM

Finland

Morjens!
when I look at the setlist....It is California Jam time again! Man, I wish I'd been there!!!
Well, have to wait till March/April when HTP will hit the road...

thanks for review, pics and all...

Br,
T
Old Dec-04-2003, 11:00 AM

Austria

John, excellent review, Thanks for sharing!
David, you mentioned that all those kids were wondering who this guy (Glenn) was. Funny you say that - I think, that all those Justin Timberlakes (including the real one) from TV casting shows around the globe should check out what singing is really about. It is absolutely frightening what kind of singing you get to see and hear on TV day after day.
Just a little thought.
Cheers,
Chris
Old Dec-04-2003, 12:49 PM

USA

Chris,

that's funny you mention people like Justin Timberlake should check Glenn out. I remember reading in one of the reviews that Justin was a noted member of the audience at Glenn's solo gig in Orlando in March!!!!!!!!

JH
Old Dec-04-2003, 1:11 PM

Austria

ok, so it is true then - thanks for refreshing my memory - I knew I read this somewhere. So, Mr. Timberlake should better drop his Michael Jackson impersonations and get his inspiration from the good guys and girls. I bet he had his mouth open during Glenn's performance.
Chris

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
1974, album, bands, bass, california jam, Chad Smith, David, drums, Gabi, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, Pix, press, solo, Trapeze, win