g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Purple Days Talk about shows, setlists, albums, share your memorabilia...past and present.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec-11-2007, 9:08 AM

UK

Icon27 Deep Purple reunion

Hi all

Hope everyone out there is well.

Following Led Zep's triumphant return, it makes you wonder what could be if we had a Deep Purple 'one off' reunion concert with all the previous members participating.....

The mind boggles !!

Paul
Old Dec-11-2007, 11:27 AM

USA

Boggles?

It don't know what would be more boggling...the fact the music would be great or actually getting everyone together on the same stage to their own satisfaction.

The easy thing for Zep is that they never morphed into another band, per se, as Purple did.
Old Dec-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Netherlands

Icon49

Another 20 million registrations for a ticket
Old Dec-11-2007, 2:46 PM

USA

Icon33

I don't think they'd have but a fraction of the interest that Led Zeppelin generated.

And if they did untangle the egos and red tape it would take to get a one-time "reunion" of all the living members together, I think they'd still have a mess.

Todd
Old Dec-11-2007, 6:36 PM

USA

Have to agree with Todd here. The interest would be no where near the Zep show, and then you'd be trying to figure who plays, who sings, etc.. It would look like a Glee Club show with everyone on stage at the same time Now a straight up MkIII one-off.....
Old Dec-11-2007, 10:53 PM

Australia

If Deep Purple Mk III were to reform, I know one thing for sure - the vocals would be spot on!

I hate to admit it, but that snippet I heard of Black Dog was simply lifeless and dull.
Plant basically talked his way through that one.

Last edited by Aussie_Mike; Dec-11-2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec-12-2007, 12:40 AM

UK

Icon34

As any economist would tell you, the value of an item comes from its scarcity.

Led Zepplin have not performed a proper gig since 1979, hence massive interest in seeing these gods of rock.

Deep Purple reformed in 1984 and seem to have been touring ever since with a variety of line ups, hence there is no scarcity any one who has wanted to see a Purple gig will have had no problem at all seeing the group run through all the old classics with a token new song or two.

If Deep Purple had never reformed then yes there would be huge interest rivalling Led Zeppelin.

As for a reunion of Mark 2 or Mark 3 it is never going to happen, there is no way that Gillan and Blackmore would ever share the same stage and i cant see Ian Paice or Blackmore having any interest in a mark 3 reunion and no promoter is going to offer vast sums of money to finance a reunion tour as there is simply not enough interest.

The best thing to do is enjoy the memories and listen to the classic albums and get into what is current.
Old Dec-12-2007, 1:24 AM

France

I believe in a Mk III réuinion but in 2009.. I think Glenn and David will be finish to promot their own cd and I'm sure they will be interssed by this project.. Jon and Ritchie are always in touch and I'm sure that they will really want to play together once more.. the real problem is Paicey... but if he can do the two projects (Mk III and VIII) it will be possible !!
Old Dec-12-2007, 1:29 AM

USA

...logic

...i like this way of thinking....one can even say that the DP market is flooded even more because of all the line-up changes and live albums....there seems to be a Deep Purple for every segment of 'Rock Lover'....with even Bolinites being recognised as cd-buying fans, it seems like the market has been catered to very well indeed...no scarcity there...
Old Dec-12-2007, 2:33 AM

UK

Icon34

Glad you agree with my approach, Led Zepplin have maintained their integrety and image by the very fact that they have not done anything for years and are still remember as the classic 70`s rock band who called it a day when John Bonham died. If they were do ta world tour we would all be willing to go and see them but if it were to carry on touring and they were to produce new albums no where near as good as the classics, the image would quickly change to money grabbing millionaires, old dinosaur rockers who were a pale shadow of their former glories.

This is what has tarnished the brand image of Deep Purple over the years, constant line up changes, silly arguments between middle aged men who should know better, sub standard albums ( perpendicular excepted), caberet set lists and an endless supply of live recordings, Dvds ,etc. The management of Deep Purple has a lot to answer in allowing the legacy of the greatest rock band to be so cheapened over the years
Old Dec-12-2007, 3:32 AM

UK

hi

thought it might cause a few debates Didn't expect them all to be so negative i think it would only be a bit of nostalgia, a bit of fun. I would hope by now that Gillan and Blackmore would have grown up and maybe give something back to the fans who have made them multimillionaires and supported them over the years. No band that i can think of, whether they have had multiple line up changes or not has managed to keep themselves as the most popular/best selling bands around, so i dont think it is fair to criticise purple for carrying on making music and touring. Yes some of their albums may have been duff along the way-abandon- for example, and i do agree having seen purple live recently that it is a bit of a perpetual greatest hits package when you see them live rather than playing more recent material.

Is it heresy but i have always much preferred purple to zeppelin. i think a one off reunion wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Paul
Old Dec-12-2007, 7:19 AM

UK

Icon34

I didn`t mean to come across as negative, i know that if there was a reunion tour for MK2 or MK3. I would be first in line to get a ticket , however, it can only be pure nostalgia and is not really of any lasting artistic merit.

Whilst it would only take place if the money was right and surely that should not be the key motivating factors. It should be a thank you for the support of fans and the fans money other the past 35 years.

Surely it is far better to listen to and support the current work of former band members like Glenn which is top class and has resulted in a wide variety of excellent albums. Whilst other ex members like Jon and Ritchie new work may not be to every ones taste but is different and shows they are prepared to move beyond the confines of hard rock.
Old Dec-12-2007, 9:29 AM

UK

Icon34 MK III

Based upon the last snakes tour I can't see the point of a MK III reunion, DC's voice has been great in the past but it seems way past it's best in the rock arena, he would still kill an audience singing blues numbers though (enter Neil, Micky and Bernie).

So that leaves a reunion with our main man on Bass and Vocals, great idea but that would not be MK III.

Just one last thing, a MK III reunion would also stop Glenn doing his solo stuff and our chance of watching him up close in the smaller venues, do we want to loose that, not me for one.
Seasons greetings to you all
Old Dec-13-2007, 1:01 AM

UK

HI

Not looking for any longterm commitment, would just be a bit of fun. Agree with you completely Iain that there would not be any artisitic merit!! Would definitely not want to lose Glenn's solo work

Paul
Old Dec-13-2007, 9:04 AM

USA

Not negative

Paul: I think we all agree it'd be great fun to see, but I think we all fear some assault and battery
could occur !
Old Dec-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Finland

Icon37

A couple of shows and a DVD would do it for me, then back to solo work. I think Glenn has too much to offer on his own, wouldn't want to see him spending too much time playing the classics.

Now, if there would also be some new music made in the Purple context or as a project with Jon, David, Ritchie, that would be a different story. Maybe not trying to recreate the old spirit but do something completely different than Purple...

Arnito's Sig:"It's not what you say, it's the feeling that's the song"
Old Dec-13-2007, 11:56 PM

UK

Arnito

Agree that with Ritchie happy playing a different style of music, and Glenn always being the chameleon of sound and style, some completely new style of music collaboration could be fresh and exciting. Not sure if DC, and i love DC and the Snake, would be able to bring anything new to the mix.

Paul
Old Dec-14-2007, 2:55 AM

France

agree with this and agree with your remark about DC.. but if there's a reunion it's WITH David for recreate the wonderful vocals duet Coverdale/Hughes !!
Old Dec-14-2007, 8:30 AM

USA

I have no interest in a DP reunion of any sort. I've really lost interest in the franchise since the 1985. As great as the reunion album was, the magic died for me with the final riffs of the Perfect Strangers tour. As for Blackmore, well, no comment here.

Wouldn't it be better to see a Whitesnake reunion featuring the DC/Moody/Marsden/Murray/Lord/Paice lineup?

Or a Coverdale-Hughes collaboration. That would be my biggest thrill.

It will never compare with the impact of the LZ reunion show but how much traction could a DP MK3 (or even MK2, at this point) reunion really attain?

Brian
Old Dec-15-2007, 4:58 AM

Sweden

Icon38

Whats up my frends out there...Glenn/// David sings together in a full packed Wemley arena / Thats my dream and Ian Paice, If its up too Ian he just cant say no That would be great..
Old Dec-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Netherlands

Icon49

Originally Posted by equinox91 View Post
I have no interest in a DP reunion of any sort. I've really lost interest in the franchise since the 1985. As great as the reunion album was, the magic died for me with the final riffs of the Perfect Strangers tour. As for Blackmore, well, no comment here.

Wouldn't it be better to see a Whitesnake reunion featuring the DC/Moody/Marsden/Murray/Lord/Paice lineup?

Or a Coverdale-Hughes collaboration. That would be my biggest thrill.

I agree with you Brian. I rather see Glenn concentrating on his solo stuff also. He is on his peak of his career. I hate to see him discontinueing that. Maybe a one off reunion show in Albert hall would be nice. Nothing more.
Old Dec-17-2007, 2:36 AM

Australia

Icon27 Deep Purple "reunion" no chance!

This would be quite an interesting one, i personally reckon it will never happen, a "Purple" reunion with the "Burn" lineup. It's quite obvious there would be only one person, that would have very little interest, and no doubt there would be a few egos invloved.

and that's one thing that would be too difficult to keep in check?

With the recent "Zeppelin" reunion no matter what has been said or well documented, and Plants voice is not the same at 59 but the concert went down a storm, and with 20 million people interested and 100 million hits on their "Page" what more can you say. I hate to say if a "Purple" reunion was on the cards i can guarantee they would not get the same amount of interest.

bigwolff's Sig:that would be great
Old Dec-17-2007, 6:26 PM

Australia

Agree with those favouring the Hughes Coverdale collaboration. Never mind the DP stuff - great though it was.

Now if David & Glenn could get together .....

Cheers
Hughesfan
Old Dec-17-2007, 6:42 PM
schreinermusic

I agree with most of the above. Led Zep didnt do much over all the years and that kept the sensation BIG TIME, of course, when it came to an actually gig these days.

Zep never went through the same major changes regarding style or lineup that Purple did. I dont think that the broad public would seriously be interested in a Mark III re-union. I think (i dont say that I agree to this opinion tho) for most people is Deep Purple what it was in the Gillan era, including the smash hits of that time. I dont share this view but I know that it is the opinion of many classic rock fans, if I/we like to hear that or not.

The comparison between Led Zep also lacks a fact that hasnt been mentioned here, that Zep sold more than 3 times what Purple sold. Not many people do actually know this, by the way.

Everyone of past Purple seems to be happy in what he is doing today! No one can seriously expect these blokes going on stage and risking to be a parody of themselves. I cant imagine Lord on stage acting like in ´73 (with no shirt and open long hair) anymore and I think he neither

Have a merry christmas everyone,
Achim
Old Dec-18-2007, 9:38 AM

UK

Here are the obstacles as I see them:-
  • DC still figuring that Whitesnake have a bigger following and getting yet another band of journeymen together to flog the old horse.
  • Ritchie's mother in law.
  • Paicey's commitment to the current Mark 378 line up.
But all this could be solved with fat fist with a wedge of dollars in it. Trouble is I can't see anyone offering enough.

Let's not get too hasty though viewing Led Zeppelin through rose coloured spectacles in comparison to Purple.

Zeppelin maintained a stable line up by staying out of each other's way, only putting an album out every three or so years. Their output was appalling even though the quality was there. No wonder punk kicked some industry ass.

Purple have always been a working band despite the obvious problems of jealousy, drink and drugs. Our man suffered due to the severe pressures that the industry demanded in the late 70's. Something had to give.

And if Zep had got off their butts and did some more work, they'd have suffered the same fate. No doubt about that.
Old Dec-18-2007, 11:25 AM

France

I will make it short : if a MK III reunion happens, wherever it is in the universe, I'll be there

Harry le chat's Sig:
Old Dec-18-2007, 11:51 PM

UK

Too true Keith.

If Purple didnt reform in 84 and Rainbow, Gillan and Whitesnake continued as successful as they were back then, the demand for a show by whichever lineup would be really big today.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Dec-19-2007, 1:39 AM

France

Originally Posted by Harry le chat View Post
I will make it short : if a MK III reunion happens, wherever it is in the universe, I'll be there

I'll be with you !!
Old Dec-19-2007, 8:26 AM

UK

Icon34

But they did reform mk2 in 1984 before Gillan was sacked and then reformed again in 92/93 befoe Ritchie walked out.

After three attempts, i don`t see any point giving it another go as it is pretty obvious that there is no way that Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore can ever work together again.

As for reforming Mk3, i dont see there being enough interest or money available to make it happen. Great though the Burn and Stormbringer albums were, the lasting legacy of Deep Purple was created by Mk2 with Deep Purple in Rock, Machine Head and Made in Japan..

What i am really looking forward to in 2008 is Glenns new album and all the internet chatter and teasers from Glenn indicate that it is going to be something pretty special. So never mind reunion tours, lets hope that Glenn hits the road in Spring to promote this and plays some long promised gigs in the UK.
Old Dec-19-2007, 9:20 AM

UK

Iain it's a good point you make there. This great thread has yielded a healthy discussion. But over the years I have always come to the same conclusion that artistically Glenn is where he wants to be.

My only issue with you is that I think Mark 3 would create a buzz in the same way as Heaven and Hell has. It really depends on the PR for such a venture. Without the "hype" no one is going to stump up much cash for promotion.

I personally think there's a big enough of a market in the US, Japan, Australia and Europe for a tour to be viable. The halls would be c.2000 capacity but that would be enough for it to be worthwhile to all the stakeholders such as the band, the merchandisers, retailers and agents.

It's a matter of selling the sizzle as opposed to the steak. And there's plenty of sizzle in this part of the Deep Purple story.

But as you say, let's look forward to 2008 with confidence. Our guy gives us at least an album a year and he tours wherever he can. While a reunion is a fun thing to talk about, the real business is in the groove right now.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Share Thread

Tags
1979, 1984, 1985, 2000, 2008, 2009, album, albums, bands, bass, classic rock, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, search, smoke on the water, solo, tour, Video