g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov-26-2007, 6:28 AM

China

Sad/UnHappy Kevin DuBrow

This is certainly a shock to me. Its being reported that Kevin DuBrow has been found dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_DuBrow

RIP
Old Nov-26-2007, 6:42 AM

Germany

Glenn and Kevin were good friends and very close. It will be a shock for Glenn. RIP Kevin
Old Nov-26-2007, 7:07 AM

USA

Icon23

This is truly a shock. Kevin was a wonderful performer and friend to many here at GHPG. He will be sorely missed.
Old Nov-26-2007, 8:25 AM

USA

Icon33

Very sad to hear. I'm proud to say I've never stopped being a fan of Kevin's work with Quiet Riot. He created music that was fun, and worked with some of the greatest musicians in hard rock - Randy Rhoads, Frankie Banali, Chuck Wright and yes, even Glenn. I had the good fortune to interview Kevin for The Fuze, and enjoyed speaking with Kevin on the couple of occasions I met him in person.

He was a true character who will be missed, and my thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

I suppose Kevin's song for his departed friend Randy Rhoads, "Thunderbird", would be an appropriate dedication to Kevin himself on this day.

On your own
And I'm alone
In the shadow
Of what we done
And I can't help but think
That someday
You'll be back home

Fly away, fly away
To your new home
Across the bay
And give your best
Leave the best thing
That you've been

Fly on, Thunderbird fly
Fly on, spread your wings to the sky

Cheers...Todd
Old Nov-26-2007, 9:51 AM

USA

Icon23 Another character leaves us...

I have a memory of Kevin DuBrow that I would like to share here..When Glenn did the DVD shoot for SLITCOA Kevin, as you all now, did backing vocals for several tracks along with Alex Ligertwood....the visual image of the not-so-tall Alex next to the very tall Kevin was like a rock and roll version of Mutt and Jeff!

As we walked into the studio, Kevin was sitting on the couch with his girlfriend; he asked me how we all got to be there that day. I told him about GHPG and he was genuinely impressed that so many of us traveled as far as we did to be part of the event...

Frankie was there too....I really feel for him today for losing one is his closest friends...."Peas and carrots"..that's how Kevin described his relationship with Frankie.

Spin a few jams for Kevin today folks...

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Nov-26-2007, 11:36 AM

USA

Terrible news......................

Old Nov-26-2007, 12:30 PM

USA

How very sad. I really enjoyed meeting Kevin a couple of times, and time spent with him and Glenn together was always fun.

A couple of years ago I gave Kevin a framed copy of this pic of him with Glenn - he got a real kick out of it.
Old Nov-26-2007, 2:57 PM

Spain

Icon24

Very bad news.That's a shock for me.I loved his voice and performance.I'm going to listen "Evil Woman" from Rehab in his honour again.R.I.P.
Old Nov-26-2007, 3:11 PM

UK

I was only reading a story in Classic Rock about him & Quiet Riot tonight.

Very sad news indeed.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Nov-26-2007, 3:31 PM

USA

This is very sad news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Old Nov-26-2007, 3:32 PM

UK

Its on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/26/obit.dubrow/?iref=hpmostpop

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Nov-26-2007, 3:44 PM

UK

Icon49

Wow ... what a surprise when I read this news.

God bless you matey, wherever you are

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Nov-26-2007, 5:59 PM

zUKUSA

I will make a statement when the time is appropriate....keep his Family in your thoughts.....he was a very dear close friend, a brother to me.......I need to grieve in Private.....

Shine on dear Kevin....

Glenn Hughes
Palos Verdes CA
Old Nov-26-2007, 6:05 PM

USA

Glenn my deepest thoughts of sympathy you were the first person I thought of when I heard this today. I am deeply shocked and upset, I met Kevin at the Vegas acoustic show in April, 2004 and took the very nice pic of him below. He was very nice to me and frankly answered my questions about who the mystery Riot member it was that was making him so upset, that he had spoken of just a week or two earlier in an interview. His honesty was refreshing in this era of pc sound bites and press releases. Just last night I had the DVD shoot CD on in my garage and I've always enjoyed his work on that.

John
Old Nov-27-2007, 3:29 AM

Italy

What makes his passing even sadder is that he was found dead while home alone...no one who has put good into this world and was so well-loved deserves a similar fate.

RIP Kevin...stir up a riot in the sky....
Old Nov-27-2007, 4:52 AM

Spain

just read the news and got shocked.... very sad news indeed...
love and respect to you Kevin, RIP

Inmaculada's Sig:

http://www.myspace.com/inmaculada_gil
Old Nov-27-2007, 5:20 AM

Ireland

GLENN HUGHES has released the following statement to MelodicRock.com regarding the passing of
Quiet Riot singer, Kevin DuBrow:

Quote:
"We are all grieving.

Kevin and I were brothers. We spoke daily, and I mean on the phone, not e-mail.

The Kevin that I knew was a beautiful human being. He was kind, giving, nurturing. And generous. He would stay at my L.A. home when he was in town.

I never saw Kevin loaded. He respected my sobriety. He always spoke how about the change of my lifestyle, and how he also wanted to change his.

The last conversation I had with him 10 days ago was about this subject; he said he had to make some life changes. I was so happy and elated to hear this.

Gabi and I spoke to him last on Friday, November 16. He wanted to know if I could pick him up at LAX. On the 23rd, the day of a party at my house. Then there was nothing, no communication. Zero. Come Thanksgiving I knew something was strange. At the house, Kevin's room was prepared as always, with his fave candies next to the bed. He always requests them when he stays. I thought, he's gonna come jumping through the door any minute and demand to play the winner of the pool game between Chad Smith and myself.

As the party ended, Gabi and I spoke of his absence. She was very upset. All along, I felt something seriously wrong. Come Sunday morning, I couldn't take it anymore and called Lark Williams, Kev's ex-girlfriend. She was in San Francisco. I asked her if she knew a paramedic who could go over to Kev's house and investigate. Dana, the medic, got in the house only to find my sweet brother at peace.

I am completely shellshocked. We were planning to go to Hawaii for some relaxation in the New Year.

For those of you that didn't know him, he was a true, true friend.

l'm gonna miss our dinners at the Palm in Beverly Hills. I'm gonna miss his loud voice bellowing through my house. I'm gonna miss those oh-so-corny jokes. We all will miss him.

Sleep well, brother. Your legacy is in good hands with me.

Your loving brother,
Glenn."

Old Nov-27-2007, 5:47 AM
schreinermusic

I just stumbled over the thread when making a quick visit here. Havent heard of it by now and Im majorly shocked!

What a great loss for the music, the fans and most of all for the people, especially the ones who knew him in person.

We will keep you in mind, brother, wherever you are, and still play your music. As I did today. I even grabbed my guitar playing some of your tunes.

Rest in peace, mate.

We will all meet again...
Achim
Old Nov-27-2007, 11:08 AM

USA

Too Soon

Way too soon. What a sad day.

Maz
Old Nov-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Spain

Hi,

I just came back from Nottingham where Thin Lizzy and Diamond Head played, and just arrived home I've read these devastating news. A terrible loss.

R.I.P. Kevin.

Pere
Old Nov-27-2007, 1:46 PM

Spain

Icon24

Oh i can' t belive it. For sure it 's a very bad news.

We will never forget you wherever you are. Cos you are deep in our hearts.

R.I.P Kevin

God bless You

AngelZGZ

AngelZGZ's Sig: Following"THE VOICE" of coast to coast
Old Nov-27-2007, 3:03 PM

USA

i finaly got home a little early today and was looking at the chicago tribune -i turn the page and there is a picture of kevin smiling back at me from the wrong section of the paper -this is a shock to me -i will always think of him singing and smiling on glenns dvd -that is what ill remember
Old Nov-27-2007, 3:46 PM

UK

It's always a source of frustration and some anger for me when someone like Kevin departs this world. I am truly saddened. When I browsed this post, I was expecting to find a disussion thread about Kevin's involvement with Quiet Riot and his work with Glenn, not his death. Very distressing. I have visions of him now singing on Soulfully Yours...
Old Nov-27-2007, 4:51 PM

Italy

LA Times article on Kevin DuBrow's death (Glenn mentioned throughout):

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ck=2&cset=true

Friends puzzle over death of Quiet Riot's Kevin DuBrow

Said one: "He did not sound agitated or paranoid or anything at all -- he was just normal Kevin."
By Greg Burk, Special to The Times
November 28, 2007

The life of Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow, who died at age 52 over the weekend in Las Vegas, had not been on a completely even keel after he'd broken up this month with his girlfriend of more than seven years, Las Vegas television personality and KXPT-FM radio DJ Lark Williams, according to friends saddened Monday by the news of his death.

Nevertheless, "his mood the last couple of months was stable," said former Deep Purple bassist and singer Glenn Hughes, who said he had communicated with DuBrow several times a week since they had become reacquainted after a 2001 performance by Hughes in Las Vegas. "He did not sound agitated or paranoid or anything at all -- he was just normal Kevin," Hughes said. He added that Quiet Riot's recent tour had gone well.

Quiet Riot
click to enlarge

Kevin DuBrow
click to enlarge

Related Stories
-

Williams said she didn't think DuBrow had any health problems. "He was as strong as an ox, that boy. He ate well, took a lot of vitamins. He worked out, and of course when he performed it was quite a workout," she said Tuesday from Las Vegas. "He never looked better." She said she had last communicated with him about a week ago by text message, with no indications that anything was awry.

As of Tuesday, the Las Vegas police were not investigating the death as a suspicious one. Samantha Charles, the communications officer with the Clark County coroner's office, said that an autopsy was performed Monday on DuBrow and that official determination of the cause of death would depend on results of toxicology tests, which could take six to 12 weeks.

"With everything that's happening," Williams said, "I'm just trying to take care of Kevin's cats."

He had two of them. Said Hughes: "He was crazy about those cats," and Williams agreed -- she said she and DuBrow had picked them out together.

DuBrow was a regular guest at Hughes' ocean-adjacent Los Angeles home. "He was truly like a little brother to me," Hughes said by phone Tuesday. "He was a very, very sweet, generous, kind, sensitive man. Loud and proud, yes, we all know about that, but there was a very personal side to Kevin that I will miss very, very dearly." Hughes helped write the songs on Quiet Riot's 2006 album, "Rehab," and was working on material for DuBrow's next project.

"There's a myth, I guess, if you're a rock 'n' roller, and you're of an age, you're a partyer," said Hughes, his proper English upbringing sounding in his voice. "But I can report that I never saw Kevin out of control, ever."

Hughes said that the residence in which DuBrow's body was discovered Sunday belongs to DuBrow's mother. The Quiet Riot singer lived alone, Hughes noted, and enjoyed the bachelor life, a predilection that contributed to his split with Williams, a tall blond with a photo-op figure who had helped DuBrow try to adopt a healthier lifestyle in recent years.

DuBrow was expected to fly in Friday night for a party at Hughes' house but uncharacteristically had not been in contact for a week. When he didn't show up or respond to messages, Hughes called Williams on Sunday to ask that authorities investigate.

DuBrow led Quiet Riot to the top of the charts in 1983 with the group's hit "Cum on Feel the Noize," which propelled the group's third album, "Metal Health," to sales of more than 6 million copies.

"He was one of the best singers rock has ever seen," said Blackie Lawless, singer-bassist of the L.A. extreme-metal band WASP, contacted Tuesday while on tour in Germany. "He had a voice like a razor blade that just cut right through you. And that voice is now silent."

"He was one of the first people I ever met when I came to L.A.," said Lawless, adding that he'd kept up the acquaintance for 32 years. "Kevin and I had a unique kinship, because our styles were similar, and we were both the same age. The third gig I ever played in L.A. was with him and Quiet Riot, when [guitarist Randy Rhoads] was still in the band."

"Quiet Riot [was] the first real MTV rock band," Lawless observed. "I always used to tell everybody that when people write rock 'n' roll encyclopedias, you'll see your '64 British invasion, the '56 Elvis chapter and the '69 Haight-Ashbury chapter -- well, L.A. will have its own '82-'83 chapter, and Quiet Riot would really be the beginning of that chapter."

Times staff writer Geoff Boucher contributed to this report.
Old Nov-27-2007, 5:15 PM

USA

RIP

I was listening to the radio this morning on the drive in to work when they played a brief news report that Kevin had died. I did a doubletake, and still could not believe what I had heard. I met him only briefly in LA at Glenn's DVD shoot, but he seemed like a decent guy. My next thought was of Glenn, and how he would be impacted by the loss of a brother. And then to read in this thread of Glenn's role in getting someone out to check on his friend, and to discover his demise. My sympathies to Kevin's family and friends, and especially to Glenn and Gabi. RIP, Kevin.
Old Nov-27-2007, 5:31 PM

USA

Sad/UnHappy Kevin

May your light shine on all of us.....
Until we all meet again.

I wonder if there will be a memorial service that all fans can attend.

Carolyn
Old Nov-27-2007, 6:10 PM

USA

Originally Posted by conchita67 View Post
What makes his passing even sadder is that he was found dead while home alone...no one who has put good into this world and was so well-loved deserves a similar fate.

Agreed. I don't want to hijack this thread, my uncle died suddenly a year ago alone and it's one of the things that's bothered me the most about it.

John
Old Nov-27-2007, 7:09 PM

USA

Sad News indeed..
Attachment 1202
old picture of him in Hard Rock - when I met him and Glenn

scottscars's Sig:st
Old Nov-28-2007, 3:19 AM

Austria

This is very sad. I only read it today when I received the official statement via CTC Mail in my Inbox.
Kevin DuBrow always appeared to be a real personality and unique character, starting from how tall he was alone.
My condolences to his family and dear friends.
Will put on some Quiet Riot now.

Christian
Old Nov-29-2007, 5:58 AM

France

condolences to his family and friends.
RIP Mister DuBrow

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1980, 1983, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, album, albums, backing, book, Chad Smith, classic rock, cover, Deep Purple, Gabi, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, guitar, Los Angeles, memorial, press, sensitive, solo, solo album, styles, tour