g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Trapeze Talk about shows, setlists, albums, where are they now.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep-22-2007, 3:54 PM

USA

Icon33 "Bands of Northeast Ohio and Western Pa."

So you go to "You Tube" and then go to

"Bands of Northeast Ohio and Western Pa." (Pennsylvania)

and enjoy the lovely photographs of the local talent.

But wait a minute......what's that music in the background?

YouTube Video

Enjoy!
Old Sep-23-2007, 7:23 AM

USA

Wink I'm flashing back....

That was pretty cool, saw the James Gang in there....and The Giant's Dead Hooray" as backing music....Very cool!

That got me thinking..I went to You Tube and found a whole bunch of videos of The Good Rats. The expression went that if Long Island were the world, they would have been The Beatles. They were always huge in the tri-state area but never made that quantum leap to national success.

Nowadays, singer Peppi Marchello keeps the flag flying with a line-up that includes his son, Gene. Every so often, the "classic lineup"; Peppi, his brother Mickey on guitar, bassist Lenny Kottke, guitarist John Gatto and drummer Joe Franco will do a show together.

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Sep-24-2007, 6:45 AM

USA

Yes Bill, THE GOOD RATS were the epitome of Long Island music in the 70s. Few realize just how influential they were as a band worldwide though. Of course we all know Joe Franco did his bit with Black Sabbath, but Mickey, who was a good friend of mine, had a studio in his basement in Sea Cliff where we heard some incredible players get together. Bobby Rondinelli was a regular visitor, as was the incomparable Leslie West. Members of other bands would "stop over" when coming through New York, including the Outlaws, Billy Squier and others.

If you didn't live on The Island you may have heard of the Rats, but they were, as Bill said, "The Beatles of Long Island".
Old Sep-24-2007, 5:11 PM

USA

Hey Frank,

I thought that the mention of The Good Rats would bring you out of lurking...

The Marchello brothers were born in Brooklyn but they moved to Baldwin when they were kids and supposedly won the Battle Of The Bands at the Senior High. Bruce Kulick played with them for a time before he joined Kiss and Schuyler Deale was their bassist for a time before he played with Billy Joel.

The class of '73 saw a kid named Danny Snider go on to become Dee Snider and form a band called...you guessed it! One of my classmates was a girl named Leslie Wunderman....we were both in the choir..my good friend Kate Boning played piano for Leslie when she sang Joni Mitchell's Blue at the Benefit Concert senior year. about 8 years later, my sister calls me and asks me if I remember Leslie. "Sure I do...what about her?" Judy goes on to tell me that she has released a CD..it is getting a lot of airplay and she has a new name: Taylor Dayne.

Who'd a thunk it??

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Sep-25-2007, 6:30 AM

USA

It is really amazing what came out of LI Bill !!!

A friend of mine from Jersey City, Frankie Fricchione (nice Jewish Boy ) managed Twisted Sister for a few years, and I remember seeing them as a cover band. One night someone is the crowd kept yelling "Hot Tuna man" at Dee, when he finally broke out and started looking at the drunk guy and lamenting "so, wow man, you wanna hear some, Hot @#*ing Tuna heh ?". The guy got all excited and starts telling Dee "Yeah man, c'mon"...so they break into "Sweet Jane" and the guy is all bummed....at the end of the set he goes up to Frankie and asks why they didn't do any Hot Tuna, and they tell him "Man, we did, you were just too loaded to remember". The guy figured he'd better grab a seat and slow down since he missed the one tune he wanted to hear.

But you are so right about our old home Bill, we really had a chance to see some great bands before anyone knew who they were. And, let us not forget "Soft White Underbelly" known to the world as Blue Oyster Cult !!!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Share Thread

Tags
backing, bands, cover, guitar, Video