g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures > Video

Video Got movie clips? Place them here, along with your gig Report!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun-03-2007, 10:42 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,691 Times in 2,650 Posts
Icon33 BB King's, New York Pix & Report

Well, no report just quite yet, other than Shirean and I just arrived and to the pouring rain of NYC But we're situated now and thought we'd take a couple of pix, since we're close by to BB Kings

Lots more to follow later today/tomorrow

Old Jun-04-2007, 3:15 AM

UK

Excellent pictures. Wish I was there. Look forward to seeing the gig shots and reports too.
Old Jun-04-2007, 6:46 AM

USA

Icon33

I guess it didn't occur to the promoter to spell Glenn's name the same as it is on the official promo poster?! Sheesh...

Todd
Old Jun-04-2007, 8:03 AM

USA

Icon17 It's.....ALL.....Glenn's fault

Originally Posted by toadsterama View Post
I guess it didn't occur to the promoter to spell Glenn's name
the same as it is on the official promo poster?! Sheesh...

Very true, Todd.
Yes, we are enthusiastic Glenn Hughes fans.
BUT REALLY, when you think about it,
it's all Glenn's fault that his name is always mis-spelled.

Now if he had had Sister Ernestine for English (as I did)
she would have made him practice "The Palmer Handwriting Method"
and Glenn's "meet and greet" autograph wouldn't read, as it does today:

GLEEN HUGS
or
GMERF HUZDEL

Scan down to the photo of Glenn's autograph,
written on the back of his Manne guitar, at the NAMM show in 2005,
and you'll see what I mean..............

http://fanforum.ghpg.net/showthread.php?t=2645&highlight=glenn+namm
Old Jun-04-2007, 10:16 AM

Bulgaria

Hi, Grace,
You made me laugh with your witty remarks (as usual by the way)!! I liked the variants you suggested of Glenn's name!!
Hope he won't be angry with us after this!!!

Enjoy the show tonight!!!
Old Jun-04-2007, 4:50 PM

USA

Looking forward to the report & pix.
Wish I was there.
Enjoy it all.
Old Jun-04-2007, 9:50 PM

USA

BB Kings!

All I can say is...WOW!!!!

Thanks Glenn,

For tonight and all these years...and the many more to come

www.myspace.com/rob66online
Old Jun-05-2007, 1:28 AM

zUKUSA

Icon33 More Pix and Clips!

Another breathtaking performance by GLENN and the band, who were smokin' tonight, despite a few technical glitches along the way, they showed no sign of trouble - the sound was again top notch, despite the unusal floorplan of the venue.

Newcomer Steve Stephens on drums was excellent and both Jeff Kollman and Ed Roth were outstanding.

It was great to see so many new and old friends, hopefully it won't be too long before we're all able to hook-up once again at a GH show this side of the pond

Here are some pix and clips - enjoy

GLENN and Jeff Kollman

GLENN

Steve Stephens

GLENN and Jeff Kollman

Setlist

Some GHCP's at the Meet'n'Greet - you know who you are

Kenny, Mark, Carolyn, captmidnite1962, Forever Young

FCinella, Wolfysmith

Forever Young, Jayne & Ben

Attached Files
File Type: mov thistimearound_bbkingsnyc_060407.mov (17.65 MB, 38 views)
File Type: mov steppinon_jam_bbkingsnyc_060407.mov (18.56 MB, 46 views)
Old Jun-05-2007, 5:59 AM

USA

Great show, indeed.

As usual, I underestimated the Lincoln Tunnel traffic, so my 12 mile ride took 2 hours. As such, I missed a chance at a decent table and was one of the standee's at the bar (though it was still a good vantage point).

Never seeing MkIII or IV songs live before, they were welcome. Burn, done by any band, is a treat. Also was feeling his solo stuff.

Old Jun-05-2007, 8:15 AM

USA

Well, for my first post on this forum, we saw a fantastic show last night. We met some great people last night and we would especially like to thank Vinny for our great seats. It was nice to hear some Purple stuff, as well as the brand new material. We hope this is the first of many shows here in the States. The show was packed, Hey Glenn, how about the Beacon Theatre next time??!!!! What a nice way to end the night when Glenn blew up BB Kings amplifier!! Smokin'

Thank you David & Shirean for all you do.
(P.S. Kenny & Carolyn wish everyone well and will post when they get home)

Love you GLENN -- Love you all----

Eddie
Old Jun-05-2007, 8:15 AM

USA

Thumbs down

For Christ sakes!!!! I had to sit through Fall Out Boy and 5 other sound-the-same bands last night!
Old Jun-05-2007, 8:24 AM

USA

Icon49 There's always one in the bunch.......

Yeah, I'm gonna' complain about something

Who was the marketing genius who decided to play music
SO FREAKIN' LOUD that you couldn't talk to the other GHCPs,
while waiting for the opening act, or Glenn, to start?

Cripes.....I like my music loud and proud, but I didn't go to BB King's
to listen to old Rolling Stones records blasting from the PA system.
It was really aggravating to have to yell "Hello" to people.

Everybody's gonna' post their reviews, so I'll just add that it
seemed to me, that Glenn played an awful lot of bass for each song.
Not just an occasional "plunka plunka" but a very varied style bass
to match each song's style.......solid foundation for the rock,
arrogant..... in your face style, for the funk, etc.

Yeah, I know that that's what a bass guitar is supposed to do,
but Glenn was kind of busy...........uhhh, singing at the time.
I think that GH wanted to claim his rights to be considered as both
a singer and bassist, more so than I've ever heard before.
Anybody agree with me about this?

What a show!
What talent the man has!
And what class........to step back for the band solos.

How does he do it? Any of it?
And to have enough energy left over, to be friendly, patient,
and funny, for the "meet and greet" afterwards? I have no clue.

PS............Thanks, David. I appreciate your help, for my quick get-a-way.
I was able to catch the last Lakeland Bus Line (1:00am) back to Jersey.
My car was waiting for me, SAFELY, at the Parsippany PD parking lot. HOORAY!
Old Jun-05-2007, 9:23 AM

USA

First time seeing Glenn and he did not diasappoint!

He sings so well - his range and power are unmatched.

Show was great - would have liked a Trapeze , Seventh Star song or some of his older solo songs.... but I guess he would have to play all night.

The crowd was great and it was packed glad I got good seats in the front.

hopefully he will be back....

Tim
Old Jun-05-2007, 1:04 PM

USA

All I can say is WOW! It was just unbelievable! I knew it would be good but it was so much better than I expected. He was nothing short of amazing.

I have to agree with Grace about his bass playing too. It was my first show so maybe that's how his bass work comes off live? I just never got that listening to the recordings, whether they be live or studio. He really ripped it up last night on the Fender though and his sound was killer!

His voice was just outstanding! He never ceased to do something mind blowing. Talk about singing from the soul!

The rest of the band smoked as well. I was very impressed with Jeff. Great player.

I also must mention all the really cool people I met. Wolfy, Frank, Ben, Grace, David, Shirean and all the significant others. Plus those whose names I can't remember right now. We just had a great time. It was a birthday I'll never forget. Thanks to all those who made it happen. You are all tops in my book. I look greatly forward to doing this again with you all as well as meeting those who couldn't make it this time.

Last but certainly not least, thank you Glenn!! You are a talent beyond words and to see it up close and meet you was incredible.
Old Jun-05-2007, 3:04 PM

Italy

It might be just a tiny detail....but seeing Glenn's name next to BB King's pic on the marquee is not a mere coincidence!

Glad to see that my NY crew (and especially those from Brooklyn!) had such a great time!
Old Jun-05-2007, 6:42 PM

USA

All I Can Say Is WOW!!

I have been a HUGE Glenn fan for over 30 years now. For the first time I saw him live last night at BB Kings in NYC. What an incredible artist!! His voice is better now than ever, and his bass playing is second to none! Loved his band as well, Kollman was incredible.

Big Daddy put on quite a show to say the least!!

Dan
Old Jun-05-2007, 6:50 PM

USA

I don't quite know how to put my feelings re: the BB King show last night into words. It was simply breathtaking, jaw-dropping, eye-misting, spine-tingling... oh, I guess you get my point by now!

Glenn's vocals have never sounded better and his bass-playing had me completely floored. Jeff Kollman is the perfect guitarist for Glenn's music (no offense to JJ). New drummer, Steve Stevens, is fantastic too. Keyboardist Ed Roth did a great job adding color and background to the sound, especially during vocal solo spots like "This Time Around".

I thought the setlist was interesting and definitely showed New York that Glenn is looking forward rather than backward. Mostly Soul Mover and Divine tunes with a handful of Purple. I was definitely excited to see Glenn continue to strive beyond the nostalgia route which many of his contemporaries have undertaken.

Anyway, Glenn and company, thanks for the great night out in the Big Apple and for putting on the best performance I've seen in a long, long time.

Brian
Old Jun-05-2007, 10:53 PM

France

Thank you all for sharing your reviews and pics
For sure you had a blast. Glad to see so many GHCP smiling faces...

Harry le chat's Sig:
Old Jun-06-2007, 8:54 AM

USA

Icon49

Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post

I have to agree..........about his bass playing too.
It was my first show so maybe that's how his bass work
comes off live?

I'm no musician, John, but compared to the other times that
I've seen a GH show live.........this NY show seemed to have
much more of a noticeable bass guitar sound than ever before.

Quote:
I also must mention all the really cool people I met.
It was a birthday I'll never forget.
You are all tops in my book.

Yes, we GHCPs are all rather perfect people, huh?
But in all the commotion, we forgot to sing:

to you.

I'm glad that GH gave you a special way to celebrate your Birthday!
Grace ~
Old Jun-06-2007, 10:11 AM

USA

Well the whole thing did blow by rather quickly, didn't it? There was just so much to soak in and we just needed some more time I think.

All the cool people along with the whole GH experience! Too much to absorb in one night
Old Jun-06-2007, 11:04 AM

USA

The BB King's show was awesome! Here's my short review I posted on another board:

Well, last night was just plain great! I've waited my whole life to see this man perform live and I finally got my chance last night in New York City for a sold out show at BB King's.

Me & two musician friends of mine took the train to the city and arrived around 4:30pm. We decided to go straight to the club and hang at Lucille's at BB King's for some drinks and appetizers. Lucky for us, we talked to the door man and got a ticket to be called before the doors opened to BB's for the show allowing us first dibs at seats. There was a line of a couple of hundred people waiting outside to get in and we got to slip right in front of them and get a table a few feet away from Glenn. We had two hours to kill before showtime so we had dinner and drinks a chatted with the fans who were sitting next to us, a great bunch indeed.

First up was Danny Johnson who to my surprise played solo with no band and just a rack of toys which provided drum, bass and keyboard tracks. I've been a fan of his for years. He has played with some great bands including Axis, Derringer, Alcatrazz, Alice Cooper amongst others and is currently with Steppenwolf and a solo artist. He dished out a great one hour set and played some awesome leads. A highlight for me was hearing a Derringer favorite "Driving Sideways" & Axis' "Those Brown Eyes".

Glenn Hughes was firing on all cylinders and was pumped to be back in NYC after 32 years! His new band members Steve Stevens (drums) & Jeff Kollman (Guitar) really impressed me. They put on a solid HIGH ENERGY set that lasted two hours.

Glenn's enthusiasm and non stop energy was a sight to behold. The guy never stopped moving and he had some of the best moves, struts and facial expressions I've ever seen. He's puts players who are half his age to shame.

They don't call him "The God of Voice" for nothing. This guys was sending shivers down everyone's spine with his incredible singing. He has the most incredible range, emotion & soul I've ever heard come out of a mouth.

He and his band ripped through tunes from Deep Purple with great versions of "Mistreated", "Getting Tighter" & the set closer "Burn" and tunes from his latest solo releases. The night was full of some fantastic jamming. "Mistreated" was full of surprises and lasted about 20 minutes! I was hoping for some Hughes & Thrall/Trapeze/Iommi & Hughes but what was played did not disappoint as I love all of his solo material. The tracks from his new record "Music For The Divine" were excellent. I'll be picking that one up for sure.

Aside from a few sound issues like Glenn roasting the bass rig on the last song before the encores (he played through a Fender Twin Reverb for the last two songs) and some trouble with the keyboards and vocal microphone which were fixed quickly the show was top notch entertainment.

To top off a great night in NYC seeing one of my idols we got meet him and his band after the show. I got a bunch of pictures of the show & one of me & Glenn sitting together. He also signed a few CD's for me.

He says he'll be back next year and I, for sure will be back to see this legend.
Old Jun-06-2007, 11:05 AM

USA

Great pictures David! Thanks for posting the setlist too.

I think you were sitting right in front of me at the show.
Old Jun-06-2007, 4:47 PM

USA

It doesn't get any better than that...a band on fire, great people, great food, GREAT City!!!

Wish I had more time to spend with the fellow GHCPeeps. So great to see you all again.

David and Shirean....THANK YOU

Kenny and Carolyn...cheers to you

Daddy and Company...
Old Jun-07-2007, 12:03 AM

USA

Words Cannot Describe

the show was amazing!! i know he has a great voice, but i did not expect it to be SO STRONG and SUSTAINED!!! i will post a more complete review soon!! can't wait for next year- Glenn owes us for not coming around in the States for so long !!!!
Old Jun-07-2007, 7:11 AM

UK

Hi all

Just got back to the UK after a fantastic trip to NYC !

What a great show & made all the better by having the chance to meet such a nice bunch of people (as if I thought otherwise !!!).

I didn't think the Shepherds Bush concert in March could be topped but it certainly was & I won't go into details as it's been covered above.

A HUGE (Hugs,Hughs,Hoos,you get the drift!) thanks to Glenn,Jeff,Ed & Steve for making it the event it was & then having the energy to 'meet & greet' after -what a really personable bunch they are too,very approachable & that evening will live with us forever!

HUGE thanks to David,Shirean,Vinny,Frank & Wolfy for pulling this all together for Jayne & I Sorry if I missed anyone,the night was such a blur !

It's not every day you get to meet an axe-murderer (even in NYC.......just a joke !!) & so I was really pleased to meet Grace - it's probably just as well you couldn't hear much of what I/we was/were saying - thanks so much for the signed photo! I hope you enjoyed YKOM

Well,Frank, was it Doro or Hot Tuna in the end?
Thanks so much for all you did, both before & on the night - we really enjoyed having you,Maggie,& Wolfy as table companions

Hey,John, you did get a 'Happy Birthday' from us as we awaited Mr Hughes afterwards,didn't you! - the pizza cake & candles were missing though Glad to hear you had such a great night,as we all did.
Hope you found something to do around the Times Square area while you were waiting for your car to be 'made available' again - you must have really struggled to be kept entertained,it being so quiet & nothing going on there......

Ben's Sig:

Cheers,
Ben !!
Old Jun-07-2007, 8:09 AM

USA

A spectacular night for me. Seeing Glenn Live for the first time, with my 18 year old son, who wants noting more than to play drums for Glenn. Meeting an old friend at the show and meeting my date for the first time, who turned out to be a remarkable woman!

Figured I'd add my pictures here you go.

Old Jun-07-2007, 6:45 PM

USA

hey , just thought id share w/ you , i smile i just had. im in s.carolina, i was sitting at the table next to you , i remember talking to you about your glenn hughes shirt, i have the actual playlist that you took a pic. of and posted here ( along w/ the three pics that glenn gave me. i was looking at your pics and was thinking "wow, these guys must have been sitting w/ me" and then i recognized you as the people at the next table . i was there w/ my 16 yr. old daughter. we have to bring our children up right you know enjoyed , enjoying the show w/ yall ,peace
Old Jun-07-2007, 11:24 PM

zUKUSA

Here are a couple of low grade movie clips, but still worth taking the time to watch

Mistreated
YouTube Video

You Keep On Moving
YouTube Video
Old Jun-08-2007, 10:29 AM

UK

Icon33 Part 2 of Wolfy on Tour!

Nathalie and Conchita told me they wanted the rest of the full story SO.......

While Chip and Todd drove off back to Vegas to catch their respective flights home, David, Shirean and I shared a taxi to LAX on Sunday as David and I were on the same flight while Shirean was on the same one as Glenn. The plane was overbooked but we made it on and landed at JFK 45 minutes late to be met by Mike Moore who was picking up Glenn. I had pre booked my ride so said goodbye and headed for my hotel www.jollymadison.com. It was hammering down with rain and I was tired so headed straight to bed as it was late. It continued to pour with rain till around 2pm on Monday but I got out to the local deli for food and water without getting wet. I called up Frank at his hotel and walked over to meet him and his wife Maggie there for 3pm before we headed over to Ben’s Kosher Deli. Within 10 seconds of going in I get “Wolfy!” It’s Forever Young and his buddy who had travelled down from Phillidelphia – from now on known as the Philly Guys I’d tell you how great the food and service was – but it wasn’t! Then the other Brits, Ben and his lovely partner Jayne, arrived We left for BB’s as we had decided to eat there. Met up with Vinnis and all the other Crazy People in the bar.

Over a couple of beers, the Philly Guys and I put the world to rights and solved the Iraq war – and we had only met 2 hours earlier! Before long it was show time. Vinnis had arrived early and made sure we got 3 tables of 6 all together near the stage Turned out Gabi and her friends were directly in front of us.

We ate while Danny Johnson was on. Believe it or not but Ben’s food you see in the pic was a starter not a main course Frank had some oysters, then some more oysters, then a giant steak. We had a real fun table. Frank is the very definition of the phrase “larger than life character”. It was a privilege sir! Ben, make sure Jayne gets that Yorkshire Pudding technique mastered and a new tray to cook them in! And I finally met the Axe Lady herself – Grace This was a real social event never mind the fact Glenn was going to perform for us too!

Danny Johnson played a longer set than in LA and got a decent reaction from the crowd.

Then on came Glenn and the band. No pre-recorded intro of Valiant Denial this time. Jeff just cranked up his guitar and started it off himself. Much better that way I thought. Unfortunately Ed had no sound from his keyboards at all for the whole song.

Glenn said they would wait for it to be fixed before carrying on. Still a few problems but by the third song it was fine and all of a sudden Jeff’s guitar was louder and clearer in the mix too. Just jumping out at us. Glenn was once again supreme with immaculate singing and bass playing There was a point in one song where he hit a note so high I am sure only dogs could hear it! Forget Mariah Carey’s octave range, Glenn’s seems to be bigger and more powerful! His energy levels for an old geezer are amazing. New drummer Steve played very well considering his short rehearsal time and got a little solo spot and also the same showcase jam during Getting Tighter(I think) that Chad did. Reminded me a bit of Dance With The Devil (Cozy Powell).

This was also the show where Jeff Kollman hit absolute top form. Sh*t Hot was how I would describe him Glenn gave him more freedom and extended intros to show what he can do. The opening of Mistreated was a killer and I wish I had videoed it! Philly Guys and I kept saying “Jeff is red hot tonight”.

David had told us that after the show there would be a meet and greet and that us GHPG folk were getting priority treatment We stood separate from the line that went right round the club and were then invited backstage to line-up and wait for Glenn to come out after a quick chill out. Just so all of you who waited know, the guy in the white jacket, shades and long black hair was Electric Dave (see my pic). Turns out he had been in contact with a certain Mr Galley who had told him a bunch of Crazy People from the UK and across the USA were headed his way to see Glenn and could he use his role as backstage fixer to sort out something special for us. I’m sure you will agree he did!

Can I ask all of us with Myspace pages drop by his page to say hello and thanks. www.myspace.com/electricdave2

“Wolfy!” Out comes Glenn and he was his usual friendly and down to earth self and happy to chat to each of us individually and sign pictures etc. We even discussed The Wolves!

What a birthday treat for my new Philly mate John. If only Shirl had a friend who could have got Glenn to sign an exclusive, unpublished, behind the scenes picture of Glenn taken at the NDA event then she would have had something for her birthday too!

Then out came Jeff – “Wolfy! How you doing?”

Thanks for signing those pics mate and I’ll be emailing you again with some more stuff!

Once we had all been seen we headed back out in to the bar area and Glenn came out with Gabi and Electric Dave to sit in a booth and meet the rest of the fans for pics and autographs. Us GHPG folk continued to chat with each other and with Mike Moore, Jeff, Ed, and Steve. What a great bunch of guys they are socially too. I told Steve he was now famous and would be seen on the internet within hours! He seemed genuinely pleased and surprised by the strength, warmth and all round friendliness of Glenn’s fans.

Plenty of chat and pics with the guys later it was time to leave as there was no-one left but us in BBs.

We headed off to our hotels only to find The Philly Guys car had been locked overnight in to their car park Glad to know you guys got home in one piece

Left the hotel at noon Tuesday for my bus trip back to JFK, then on to Atlanta, and finally landing in Manchester on Wednesday at 10.15am. Then another 1.5 hours drive on the motorway home! Knackered!!

Was it worth it? OF COURSE!!! I would definitely fly to another show in NYC as that is cheap and easy to get to and always deals available from here. Just give me some advance notice Glenn!

Hopefully for you guys in the USA there will be more shows soon. Glenn needs to take the bull by the horns and book some shows elsewhere. The people WILL come Glenn, especially in the old Trapeze stomping grounds of the South from where there are messages everyday on the Trapeze page asking for you to come back.

Glenn and all his band are fantastic people AND so are all his fans.

I was a real pleasure to meet you all and if Glenn gives you enough notice of UK dates maybe we will see some of you over here next time
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
DSCN0939.jpg   DSCN0940.jpg   DSCN0942.jpg   DSCN0959.jpg   DSCN0971.jpg   DSCN0972.jpg  

DSCN0976.jpg   DSCN0978.jpg   DSCN0981.jpg  

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jun-08-2007, 10:40 AM

UK

a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
DSCN0984.jpg   DSCN0985.jpg   DSCN0986.jpg   DSCN0987.jpg  

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures > Video

Share Thread

Tags
1986, 2005, 2007, albums, bands, bass, book, David, Deep Purple, drums, Gabi, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, Jeff Kollman, journey, keys, London, MySpace, Pix, Shirean, solo, soul mover, tabs, tour, Trapeze, Video, win, YouTube