g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct-11-2006, 2:20 AM

Sweden

Arrow JJ leaves Glenn's band

Very surprised & sorry to hear these news taken from gh.com:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted you all to know that I am very excited about taking my brand new band out on tour. Joining me this tour will be Jeff Kollman on guitar, Mark Mondesir on drums and Anders Olinder on keys.

As with most artists I admire, I felt it necessary and the right time to play with exciting new players. I want to be pushed and I want to be challlenged and it will bring something new and inspirational to my shows. I have thought long and hard about this and now is the right time for a change. I will like to wish Sebastian and Kjell all the very best and to JJ: good luck with your new CD.

see you soon,

Glenn
Old Oct-11-2006, 3:26 AM

UK

YouTube Video

Well guys, I am sorry but I think this is a backwards step for Glenn. His music has really grown with JJ there and I cant help feeling this is self destruction.

Taken the whole edge off the tour for me, am I being a little narrow minded here?

Anyway good luck to the new guys all the same!!

JJ you will always be king!

Ian Dunbar
ANY CHANCE I CAN HAVE THE JOB???????
Old Oct-11-2006, 3:42 AM

Sweden

I'm thinking it feels like a step back seeing what they were starting to achieve on Soul Mover, M4TD etc... The combination of the 2 really worked here, and the music really benefitted from it in my opinion.
Old Oct-11-2006, 4:16 AM

Spain

I prefer JJ. I agree with you.
Old Oct-11-2006, 5:21 AM

Sweden

That being said, Jeff is an excellent player too (check out the soundclips on jeffkollman.com) and it's going to be intesting to hear this new band in action.
Old Oct-11-2006, 5:37 AM

Japan

Oh, no,
My chance is lost forever to see JJ plays with Glenn
with my naked eyes....very sad...
I love corrabolations of these two guys.
Old Oct-11-2006, 5:38 AM

UK

Glenn and JJ really did it for me, over the years JJ grow and he had his own distinctive style. There is not as much reason to treak down to Northampton on a Tuesday night, perhaps I will if the reviews of the weekend two gigs are great. Can't believe he is not playing Rio's or anywhere up North. Perhaps JJ will.
Dpurpleface give him a call.
Old Oct-11-2006, 5:51 AM

Spain

that's sad news... but as I can't help to think positive.... that will mean JJ will focus in his solo career so.. more great music for our pleasure!!! and more concerts to go to!

I wish all the best to JJ and the rest of the band, and also my best wishes to the new band members, I had the chance to see Mark Mondesir in action and he was awesome, dunno the new keyplayer, but Jeff Kollman did great with Glenn before and he will give a new rocking flavour...

besides..who said Glenn and JJ won't play together again? who knows? maybe they'll surprise us with some collaboration again in the future... that will make it even more special!!!

changes are hard, but sometimes unavoidable or necessary, whatever the reason... all the best for everybody!!!!!

loving and supporting you all
I.xoxoxo

Inmaculada's Sig:

http://www.myspace.com/inmaculada_gil
Old Oct-11-2006, 6:10 AM

UK

Oh no that's sad news. This will be the first time I've seen Glenn play live so I won't see JJ with him

Still looking foward to the gig though - it should still be excellent! ( ... must remember to try and sneak my camera in.... )

Best wishes to JJ and hopefully will see him perform solo......

alibongo's Sig:
Old Oct-11-2006, 6:53 AM

USA

Icon33

WTF?! The thread says "JJ leaves Glenn's band" but it sounds more like he was booted to me. Lineup changes generally don't bother me too much (see Deep Purple/Rainbow) but I just don't get this one.......someone with more details?

musicnracin's Sig:mount the handlebars on the headboard and ride baby ride!
Old Oct-11-2006, 7:31 AM

UK

Hi

JJ. Thanks for the music. You have been a joy to watch and listen to. Sorry to see you go , hope it will push you, and Glenn onwards and upwards to greater things.

Paul

P.S. you could always join forces with Joe Lynn Turner!!!
Old Oct-11-2006, 7:36 AM

USA

I think this is much more than a step backwards...I think it is a leap !!!
JJ added so much to Glenn's music, and without him I can see another new direction for Glenn, which, for one, I don't think is in his best interests.
Of course I am sure there is much more to it than we have been told to now, and I am also sure Glenn and JJ would not have gone their separate ways if not for good reasons.
It always seems that once you start to get closer to being on top of the game, a step back is taken in the name of advancement. Maybe JJ wants to concentrate on his solo career...or , well, there could be thousands of reasons.
Good luck to all of you whatever happens...and now there is one less reason for not playing in the USA...can't use JJ and his travel as an excuse.
Old Oct-11-2006, 7:46 AM

UK

Hi again

It took Glenn and JJ a while to gel as a team, will that be the same with the new guys? The last two albums certainly proved that the guys were a great team.

I do wonder if JJ got a bit pissed off at playing second fiddle to firstly Dave Navarro, and subsequently John Frusciante, who came on the scene for their superstar guest appearances??? Do not get me wrong, i liked their input but if i was JJ i would have been disappointed.

Paul
Old Oct-11-2006, 8:00 AM

Belgium

What a big deception! i really think that JJ was the best guitarist that glenn have found, he was such a brillant plyaer , playing everything with such a feeling!

I always think that Glenn and JJ will continue to work together for years! M4TD is the best solo that glenn ever wrote and i'm sure that JJ (and also Chad) bring much in the writing and playing...

I hope this statement is just for the next tour and Glenn and JJ will still colaborate in writing/ playing together!
Old Oct-11-2006, 8:33 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Icon17 Whoooah....come on folks!

You'd think by some of these comments Glenn didn't have a career prior to 1996!

Look, I'm a huge JJ supporter as can be evidenced throughout this site and others, but if Glenn feels it's time for a change, then it's his decision and his alone. This doesn't stop JJ from existing and giving us great music of his own and I'm sure one day we'll no doubt see him return to the GH fold.

Perhaps a lot of you have not known Glenn without JJ by his side, but us "older" fans have been there through thick and thin, and right now, it's one of the best periods to be a Glenn Hughes fan. It's great that he wants to push the envelope and give us his very best and if he feels right now he needs new inspiration to do that, then that's fine by me.

I see this as a brief timeout for JJ to take stock of his own career and for Glenn to continue forward, bringing us all his gift of music and for those lucky enough, who are about to see him live on tour in Europe, with a new twist to his already rich and inspirational catalogue - it can only be a positive thing.

So let's get behind the both of them, each of whom deserve the very best of success.
Old Oct-11-2006, 8:46 AM

UK

Icon34 i cant believe this

This is a real shock as JJ and Glenn have worked so well together over the past 10 years producing great albums and superb live shows.

Most importantly JJ was able to master a whole range of different styles of playing from heavy rock through to funk, classic rock to modern cutting edge and it really is going to be hard for Glenn to find a player who provides such range in his playing.

All of us who have seen JJ play know that he is a consumate professional who never gives less than 100% on stage and off stage he is a real gentleman ,who always has time for us fans.

Good luck for the future JJ you really will be missed
Old Oct-11-2006, 9:28 AM

USA

I'm going to miss J.J.'s playing. I just got his solo album and really like it.

I would love to see Glenn record with Mike Slamer. I sometimes miss AOR Glenn. From Now On and Feel are great albums.
Old Oct-11-2006, 9:47 AM

UK

Coincidence?

On the very day that it is announced that JJ isn't playing in Glenn's band any more, it is also announced that The Darkness need someone to replace Justin Hawkins.
Coincidence?
But no, rest easy. I just want to reassure you all that you will NOT be seeing Jocke in a lycra bodysuit anytime soon.
Well not on stage, anyway.
Old Oct-11-2006, 11:02 AM

USA

Glenn's played with some great guitarists over the years. I feel bad for JJ if this was not his decision but I don't think anyone should be thinking Jeff Kollman is a step down.

I also thought very highly of George Nastos, who played some of the fiercest funkiest guitar when I saw GH and company in March 2001.
Old Oct-11-2006, 11:14 AM

USA

Hey everbody.........
I may be just the official ax murderer around here
but Glenn's statement didn't say that he was "getting rid" of JJ.
It said that JJ was going to spend time promoting his solo album.
And doing some composing.

Maybe JJ was just exhausted after the hassle of getting his solo CD released.
Or Glenn's tour schedule didn't work out with JJ's plans.
Or JJ wanted to learn how to play a harpsicord, or take a vacation........whatever.

And Glenn's statement to us, didn't use the word: NEVER

I've seen JJ and Jeff Kollman with our boy........BOTH are incredibly talented guitarists.
They're good enough to be on a stage with Glenn.
That's really all we GHCPs need to know.

PS......equinox91 ~ Birch Hill, you too?
Old Oct-11-2006, 12:00 PM

USA

Wasn't Kollman the guy who was the guitarist in the Shape 68 stuff? The couple snippets I have heard from that collaboration were wonderful - I much preferred the one tune ("All About the Girl"?) to anything off of "Divine". Personally, I thought Glenn needed a bit more "commercial"-sounding push and maybe Kollman can inject something new into the sound and songwriting. Nothing against JJ - great player and made some great albums with Glenn - but I honestly think they peaked together with "Soulmover". "Divine" is a solid album, but never really grabbed me - loved the diversity compared to "Soulmover", but the songwriting itself was average, only made above-average due to the vocals (Glenn's vocals turns average tunes into very good ones), and the "rockers" on the album were pretty derivative of other recent Hughes tunes. (yes, I know I tend to be in the minority in my view of "Divine"). Regardless, change can be good, people, and Glenn has never been afraid to change it up, and always has seemed to have a knack to change things before they get stale or overdone.

And who knows - maybe, as David alluded to, JJ just needed to do his own thing for a bit - and maybe they will reunite at some point, with their batteries recharged. As long as Hughes keeps putting out quality music, I'll be happy regardless of who is in the band, or even the style of music he plays. Right now, Glenn has had a big boost in his solo career - from the RHCP connection, to good album reviews and press clippings, to increasing sales, and now a full-fledged Euro tour. And this doesn't even mention the great "Fused" album with Iommi, the HTP stuff, and second coming of Hughes/Thrall. This is a great time to be a Glenn Hughes fan, so embrace the change as just another step in the progression of an artist who continues to develop his music rather than rest on his laurels.
Old Oct-11-2006, 12:03 PM

USA

Icon33 I'm one of the "older" fans.....

and I appreciate all of Glenn's work albeit in varying degrees. Glenn's worked with other guitarists...that's true....Pat Thrall and Glenn will have something new out soon and I love Thrall....but I think JJ is a superstar looking for a place to happen and I thought Glenn's band was it......Will I follow both JJ & Glenn? You bet! Without some details or a statement from JJ, I can't help but be disappointed and....well.....shocked. JJ, I downloaded your cd from Itunes the first week it was released...awesome!!!! Keep showing them how it should be done!!!

musicnracin's Sig:mount the handlebars on the headboard and ride baby ride!
Old Oct-11-2006, 12:47 PM

Austria

Of course this is a shock for the GHCP camp, but to me it really sounds like a temporary seperation of the two - Glenn gives JJ a well deserved break to concentrate on his own album and get his own thing going.
Jeff Kollman is a great guitarist, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the new band perform.
And I'm sure that they know, that the fans (old and new, and the axe murderers) are going to watch them closely!

C.

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Oct-11-2006, 12:56 PM

UK

Originally Posted by Paul Johnston View Post

I do wonder if JJ got a bit pissed off at playing second fiddle to firstly Dave Navarro, and subsequently John Frusciante, who came on the scene for their superstar guest appearances??? Do not get me wrong, i liked their input but if i was JJ i would have been disappointed.

Paul

Good call, Paul
Just wondering the same but without said statement from JJ to confirm any rift (which I doubt) I hope this is just a parting for a period to explore different avenues.
Obviously JJ has got to promote his superb new album & I look forward to hearing new material in the future. Thanks very much Jocke for everything so far & congrats on the recording contract.
Likewise, Glenn has never seemed a man to sit back on his laurels (understatement.....whatever 'laurels' are ) & he is obviously keen to keep things fresh, hence the 2 newcomers to' the Band'. Very much looking forward to the 29th!!

Cheers
Ben
Old Oct-11-2006, 1:22 PM

UK

By4 now

Jocke - good luck to the future my friend - you were MORE then an inspiration to Glenn for the past ten or so years - I am sure he would agree! The albums would not have been what they were without you. Now its time to go out on your own and I am sure everyone on here will be behind you. You deserve continued success!

Miss you on this one tho!

Take care

STEVE
Old Oct-11-2006, 1:59 PM

UK

Dissapointing JJ wont be on the tour , I think he is very underrated as a guitarist having been very impressed with him on the soul mover tour. I dont think he was given the opportunity to express himself fully on M4TD and the album suffers slightly as a result. Dont get me wrong its still a good album but could and should have been a classic.
Old Oct-11-2006, 2:02 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Everyone....please read the statement from Glenn's manager...hopefully that will answer some of your initial questions on a couple of points.
Old Oct-11-2006, 3:05 PM

USA

Icon33

I'm as disappointed as anyone to hear that JJ's gonna be on a sabbatical from working with Glenn for a while, but I am by no means disappointed in his choice of Jeff Kollman. Having seen Kollman perform with Glenn a number of times, I can testify that he is a formidable guitarist. He's also worked with Glenn on 'Songs in the Key of Rock' and 'HTP 2', and his work with Cosmosquad and the guys from UFO (*)is superb! Anyone wanting to check out more of Jeff Kollman's playing should pick up 'Cosmosquad - Live at the Baked Potato', *'Mogg / Way - Chocolate Box' and the self-titled album by *Sign Of 4.

Was it the end of the world when Glenn left Trapeze? No. Was it the end of the world when Glenn's work with Deep Purple came to an end? Obviously not. What about moving on after Pat Thrall, Gary Moore or Marc Bonilla? No. In each case, Glenn moved forward to embrace new opportunities. And from each of those opportunities blossomed wonderful new music.

As he himself sang just an album or two ago, "Now and then you lose your karma. Why do you keep looking back? You move ahead. In this crazy world, you must change yourself. In this open road you must change yourself...nothing lasts forever but the song."

Let's let Glenn call the shots, and avoid making hasty judgments without the benefit of insight.

Cheers....Todd
Old Oct-11-2006, 3:33 PM

UK

I saw this news this morning and it was a shock. But part of me thought actually it wasnt. what i mean is, Planet Marsh and M4TD are so completely different that maybe they want to go in different directions for now. I dont think after 10 years and countless albums GH and JJ suddenly fell out. A break from each other could be just what they need after working together so long.
Look at Elton and Bernie Taupin. I am really pleased that JJ will have the time to promote his own release and also work on a follow up. We all know he deserves success on his own talent. And he CAN sing! He didnt get the credit for co-writing all those great songs with Glenn from enough people, thats for sure. I certainly think at times Glenn has praised his "guest" guitarists way too much and JJ not enough. But idle speculation about a big bust up is way off the mark having read Carl's statement.
I certainly wish JJ all the success he deserves and would certainly try and get to any UK show he did.

Now for Jeff Kollman. I really enjoyed his work elsewhere and with Glenn on SITKOR. He co-produced and also co-wrote 4 tracks on it. It'll be a shame not to see JJ on tour but at the same time i will be really excited to see Jeff live. Lets not also forget JK lives in the USA and JJ in Europe. Maybe this will help get some USA dates for Glenn.

At the end of the day, lets not forget that this is Glenn Hughes "solo artist" not the Hughes/Marsh band.

I certainly want Glenn to be back fully in the public eye, in the media etc. His songs alone, never mind his voice are up there with any artist around today.

Finally! I guess we should all pass our final verdicts when Glenn's next solo release comes out. Presuming this line up writes and records it, THAT will be the thing to judge in the evolution of Glenn's wonderful career.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Oct-11-2006, 3:46 PM
schreinermusic

Shock and awe!

Im still speechless after reading the thread and the posts and after having some cigarettes.
I will not write much, don´t worry.
I am one of the "older" fans too and there has always been changes ect. ect. But that is not the point. The point is for me that JJ adored Glenn from day 1 and did always try to do the best he could to reach a top level for himself as a player and writer but more than that, for Glenn. And beside this he was holding back a lot for the "big view". Just to make him leave like i change a guitar isn´t a fine way...i have a bad taste after reading all that. Sorry.....don´t wanna say to much. I love Glenn for over 25 years but that has nothing to do with it, it´s just sad...very sad.

Like I said on the JJ guestbook: JJ, you have the support of a lot of people and my personal too. You are an exceptional artist.

cheers for the lots of great moments you gave us with GH and for the personal moments, talks, joking ect. too.

I agree to some above...the tour now has defintitely lost some edge for me too now.

David, mate, I respect your view totally and you have some good points in it, but thanks for respecting ours too, who do not agree.

cheers, Achim

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
013, 1996, 2001, album, albums, Anders Olinder, book, classic rock, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, history, HTP, Hughes/Thrall, Jeff Kollman, JJ Marsh, keys, Pat Thrall, press, solo, solo album, soul mover, steve morse, styles, tour, Trapeze, Video