g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Keepin' Time

Keepin' Time Are you a songwriter or musician influenced by Glenn and his music? If you'd like to share your own musical compositions with us - you can do so here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug-20-2006, 9:36 AM
schreinermusic

Arrow Brandnew Recording...

Just finished the mixdown of a new instrumental piece that I wrote yesterday. I added some more acoustic guitars, some moog in the background, strings and a few more things. I was working with 19 or 20 tracks, I already got dizzy mixing it up. Man..Iīm the musician...but studio editing work is not my favourite part. But I think the result sounds quite well. Just to give you an impression, itīs a little bit like "Weiss Heim" of Rainbow. That kind of style, but different in tempo ...

Appreciate every comment. Thanks for listening.

cheers, Achim
Old Aug-20-2006, 12:07 PM

Austria

Hi Achim,

first I though you were posting the Moog bit you sent me yesterday, which was far from finished and I thought - hey, he must have recorded all night and all day!?
Now that I listen to this new song, I'm totally amazed by its quality. Quality in every aspect. Composition, melodies, playing, recording, it's all there.
And it's also very different to most of the material you have posted here before or sent me via e-mail.
This is excellent, my friend! The melodies and the playing on the acoustic is very much like Steve Howe. The keys are Don Airey-ish.
I love this!
Put live drums on it, give the mix a little more shape and body and there you go.......

big

Talk to you later,
Christian
Old Aug-20-2006, 1:06 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Once again Achim you've pulled out all the stops - very soothing this one. Keep'em coming
Old Aug-21-2006, 1:12 PM

UK

Yeah, i really like this one Achim mate.

a great melody and nice clean, clear, crisp notes.
i like the early electric solo over the top of the acoustic guitars.
fits in really well. would have liked a bit more of it later on
but also really like the way the song progresses from 2:30 onwards with the keys coming in later too.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Aug-22-2006, 12:11 AM
schreinermusic

Thanks a lot for the nice and encouraging comments, my friends!

I´m very glad you like it. One of the main differences to other material is simply that I was focussed a lot more on mixing, which can change the result a lot. Yeah, Paul, I thought about it to put more "Blackmorish" bits in but I wanted to fill with many different elements like organ, acoustic psychodelic feel, some small electric solo, some moog backings and some strings on top but didn´t want to do "too much". As you all surely noticed I just love the slightly 70´s feel in my instrumentals. Can´t help myself ...hahaha

Chris, yeah its a different one to the one I send you before. Funny enough, when I wrote this on Sunday morning, I intended this to be a song with vocals. During the jamming process, where I tried to find a cool acoustic intro, I suddenly found the idea of making a pure instrumental out of it. So quickly things can change. I wrote, recorded and mixed it within 3,5 hours.

Thanks again, Achim
Old Aug-22-2006, 10:39 AM

Switzerland

This is so beautiful! I really love this tune. You did a wonderful job. This is a song which I will listen to while relaxing in the evening with a glass of red wine and my thoughts wandering ...

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. You are doubtlessly very talented.

xoxo, Lisa
Old Aug-22-2006, 10:47 AM
CATWEAZLE

You wrote good song. Sounds very professionally recorded. What did you use in this one?
I envy you. I play good but I canīt write a song. Thatīs not so good.

Iggy
Old Aug-22-2006, 10:54 AM
schreinermusic

Thanks again. Itīs great to read comments like this.

Ignaz, I recorded with Cakewalk Pro Audio software.
I used my old Fender bass, an ī82 Fender Strat (sunburn), my Yamaha Ovation Acoustic guitar and a Casio CTK-591 Keyboard, which is nothing special. I use to slave the signal through the guitar effect chain to achieve special sounds. The moog sound, for instance, was not created with my virtual Moog (N.I.) but with that keyboard, using a buzzing synth sound which I slaved through a stomp box by BOSS called SYB-3, its a bass synthsizer pedal.
I often check things out and try sounds and instruments in the most weird combinations you can think of ...hahaha.

Thanks for the interest, mate.

Cheers, Achim
Old Aug-28-2006, 1:09 PM

Italy

From what I heard last night....you've got a fan in me!
Old Aug-28-2006, 1:40 PM

Spain

Ditto! (but well you already knew )

Inmaculada's Sig:

http://www.myspace.com/inmaculada_gil
Old Aug-29-2006, 12:41 PM

UK

Icon20

Originally Posted by schreinermusic View Post
Thanks again. Itīs great to read comments like this.

Ignaz, I recorded with Cakewalk Pro Audio software.
I used my old Fender bass, an ī82 Fender Strat (sunburn), my Yamaha Ovation Acoustic guitar and a Casio CTK-591 Keyboard, which is nothing special. I use to slave the signal through the guitar effect chain to achieve special sounds. The moog sound, for instance, was not created with my virtual Moog (N.I.) but with that keyboard, using a buzzing synth sound which I slaved through a stomp box by BOSS called SYB-3, its a bass synthsizer pedal.
I often check things out and try sounds and instruments in the most weird combinations you can think of ...hahaha.

Thanks for the interest, mate.

Cheers, Achim

You took the words right out of my mouth Achim ... NOT!

There are way too many talented people on here ... but it's nice and cosy in the dunce's corner anyhow!

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jan-29-2007, 7:19 PM

USA

good stuff

i like it alot. and a yeah

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Keepin' Time

Share Thread

Tags
bass, drums, guitar, keys, organ, solo, wine