g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul-30-2006, 3:23 PM

UK

Icon47 first record you bought?

ok, if you havent read the latest chat - why not and why weren't you there?
one of the things of interest was first 45rpm bought so lets have them.

first single was Sweet - Teenage Rampage

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jul-30-2006, 3:31 PM

Austria

I was there .... and even if I'm still a little ashamed of it (not the chat, the first 45 that is!), I'll repeat what is the truth and nothing but the truth, honestly:

Carrie, by Europe

Christian
Old Jul-30-2006, 4:38 PM

USA

I wish it was something cool like Machine Head or Come Taste the Band but it was Gerry Rafferty's City to City. It's a great album, none the less but I haven't listened to it in years as my tastes moved more into hard and mainstream rock after that.

John
Old Jul-30-2006, 5:07 PM

USA

first 45- paul mcartney (jet?) first album -deep purple burn
Old Jul-30-2006, 5:15 PM

USA

I think the first records I bought were the Rolling Stones "Still Life" and J. Geils Band "Freeze Frame". Probably around '82...I remember riding my bike up to the store to buy them with my paper route money!
Old Jul-30-2006, 6:41 PM

USA

Icon21 What the %@#& was I thinking??

I really dated myself with my response to this question.....all the other whippersnappers were buying their first records when I was in my early 20's

The year was 1975, the place was the record department at the late, not-so-great Times Square Stores in Hempstead NY. I had just turned 13 and had decided to buy myself several 45's with some money I had gotten for my birthday. I think they were about a buck and some change apiece.

They were;

Junior's Farm:Wings

Kung Fu Fighting:Carl Douglas

Get Dancing Pts 1&2: Disco Tex And The Sex-O-Lettes (featuring Sir Monti Rock III)

There..I admitted it!!

OK, I went 1 for 3.....The Wings track is still cool after all this time.....Kung Fu Fighting is kitschy asall hell but Carl Douglas does get bonus points for being the first Jamaican artist to score a Number One Pop Hit in the US.....yeah, yeah, most folks will tell you that it was Johnny Nash with his smash from 1972, I Can See Clearly Now"....but Nash was a Texan and not from the islands...so there!!

Which brings us to the lamentable slice of camp that was Get Dancing Pts 1&2......No philosophical shucking and jiving on my part could ever possibly justify that one.....I won't even use my tender age as an excuse. About 5 years ago, I was in the Marsh supermarket in Indianapolis at about 1 a.m. They had the radio over the loudspeaker and what do I hear for the first time in over 25 years....You got it!!! I stood in the frozen food section with that deer in the headlights look...you would have paid money to see the look on my face!!

And I still have Kung Fu Fighting to this day!

OK..I came clean....c'mon folks..let's have 'em!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Jul-30-2006, 8:33 PM

USA

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962
The year was 1975, the place was the record department at the late, not-so-great Times Square Stores in Hempstead NY. I had just turned 13 and had decided to buy myself several 45's with some money I had gotten for my birthday. I think they were about a buck and some change apiece.

TSS in Hempstead...Remember it well. I ran the Woolworth on Main St for a year right up the road !!
Now for the dating....
"Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley was, I believe, the first single I bought. Also remember the following quite vividly:
"Stay with Me" by Faces
"Ride Captain Ride" by Blues Image
Of course there were others, like the Osmonds, Roberta Flack and, well, you get it...I'm just too old to remember much, and a good part of the seventies is just a rumor
Old Jul-31-2006, 12:15 AM
schreinermusic

First 45rpm I bought was STATUS QUO (yes... ) with "LIES".

The first LP I bought was before that....around 1980..it was
STATUS QUO (yes...again ) "NEVER TOO LATE" album, which I like til today even I haven´t listen to it for years now. Great memories though.

cheers, Achim
Old Jul-31-2006, 1:53 AM

UK

Oh man I can't remember - but I'm sure it was something by Boney M!!

alibongo's Sig:
Old Jul-31-2006, 5:50 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,379 Times in 2,488 Posts
The 7" single of "Waterloo" by ABBA in 1974 - well, parents got it for me Of course there were a few more in between, but we won't go there

I salvaged my reputation about 3 years later when I got the "Burn" & "Medusa" LP's with a couple of birthday gift vouchers
Old Jul-31-2006, 8:03 AM

USA

I hear ya' knockin'--Dave Edmunds
Old Jul-31-2006, 9:42 AM

USA

In 1986 BonJovi's slippery when wet.I was 15 years old then.I'm proud of supporting the home talent.Being from south Jersey it's inate! Jersey girl I am!
Old Jul-31-2006, 9:50 AM

UK

My first 45 was "Coz I luv you", Slade. Must be somthing about Midlands based bands.

In fact I have all there singles on vinyl. All there albums are being released as part of a remasters series later this year.

There B sides were often much better than the A sides.
Old Jul-31-2006, 11:07 AM

UK

My first LP was Queens greatest hits when I just hit my teenage years. This was followed a short time later by Hughes & Thrall! Freddie Mercury and Glenn are hard acts to follow in the vocal department!
Old Jul-31-2006, 1:12 PM

Norway

I didn't buy singles that often - I used to tape the ones i liked off the radio - my first purchased 45 was Slade - "We'll bring the house down" in 1981 (and Mark3, i recall enjoying the B side more! I can't remember what it was now, and my vinyl is in storage so i can't check). I bought albums regularly from aged about 9 though - first one was Abba - "Arrival" in '77. I then bought Jigsaws "Pieces of Magic" and DP's "Made in Europe" later that year

PJ
Old Jul-31-2006, 1:33 PM

UK

First record?

Why am I getting involved with this question!! But here goes – the first 45 rpm I bought was Emile Ford singing "What do you want to make those eyes at me for?".
See, you asked for it It was No 1 in UK in about 1962ish.
I bought the Beatles 'Love Me Do', on it's first release, (it didn't make No1) But I really surprised my best pal when I bought Booker Ts 'Green Onions', with the record token he got me for my birthday. First serious LP purchase I remember: 'Please Please Me'. say no more
Old Jul-31-2006, 2:33 PM

UK

The first record I bought is Arrival by Abba.

Ayesha
Old Jul-31-2006, 10:07 PM

USA

Icon49

First two that I bought were purchased at the same time! "Fresh Cream" by Cream and "Are You Experienced" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience".......I've never fully recovered from either of those albums
Old Aug-01-2006, 1:54 AM

UK

Ha, I'm so pleased to see Abba amongst the 'firsts'
My first 45 was Abba's 'Mama Mia' (I thought it was a 'learn Italian' disc ) & LP-wise, Elton John's first 'Greatest Hits' album.

Cheers
Ben
Old Aug-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Netherlands

Well my first records were all KISS but I got them from my older nephew when I was very young. The first one I actually bought myself was W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P. in 1984 and I was only 10 years old.
Can you imagine how my mother reacted, showing her my new record?? According to her it was even "worst" than KISS

It pleases me every time telling my mom I'm still into these bands and travelling around the world to see them in concert.
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
1012674222530_WASPHUGE.jpg  
Old Aug-02-2006, 10:57 AM

USA

You are alright with me arjen, I love w.a.s.p.from F**k LIKE A BEAST to their lastest cd. I have their latest cd called, "NEON GOD THE DEMISE". I have NEON GOD THE RISE as well.They were playing at a small club here about ten minutes from me and when I found out it was too late My time will come.
Old Aug-04-2006, 12:34 PM

Netherlands

Cool another WASP fan here on the board
WASP will be touring Europe next month. Hopefully I will be able to see them twice. In Belgium and Germany. They're skipping Holland for some strange reason

Anyway, be sure to check them out next time they're playin your town (or state)!!!
Old Aug-04-2006, 1:20 PM

UK

my wife says i must tell you her first single was Are Friends Electric by Tubeway Army. what a fantastic song that was and still is.

first album Abba Greatest Hits volume 2.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Aug-04-2006, 4:55 PM

USA

Icon33

My very first record was the debut by KIss!!

Cheers...Todd
Old Aug-05-2006, 6:18 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Arjen
Cool another WASP fan here on the board
WASP will be touring Europe next month. Hopefully I will be able to see them twice. In Belgium and Germany. They're skipping Holland for some strange reason

Anyway, be sure to check them out next time they're playin your town (or state)!!!

Arjen I read on w.a.s.p.'s website over at www.waspnation.com that blackie lawless had to cancel some shows because of health reasons.They said it was something with his heart or artery. Anyway, if you go to their website you will see what i'm talking about. What a bummer! And he has a 50th b-day next month too!
Old Aug-11-2006, 7:34 PM

Italy

mine was.....Disco Duck by Rick Dees!
Old Aug-12-2006, 11:39 AM

USA

Icon40 Way too funny!!!

Flapping my arms I begin to cluck....
Look at me...I'm the Disco Duck!!!!

Oh man..I haven't thought about that one in ages!!

Moving on the LP's the first two I bought on the same day in the summer of 1976...amd still have were Main Course by the Bee Gees and One Of These Nights by the Eagles at the late sorta great EJ Korvettes in Massepequa Park NY. Massepequa is a Native American name by the way; it translates to "town by the mall"

I still have about 250-300 albums and they have been shipped and lugged cross country several times. I have often thought of trading them in since the sentimental value has been overshadowed by the thought of : Aw man...I have to move those heavy bastards again!"

Ah memories!!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Aug-12-2006, 2:47 PM

Italy

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962
Flapping my arms I begin to cluck....
Look at me...I'm the Disco Duck!!!!

Oh man..I haven't thought about that one in ages!!

Moving on the LP's the first two I bought on the same day in the summer of 1976...amd still have were Main Course by the Bee Gees and One Of These Nights by the Eagles at the late sorta great EJ Korvettes in Massepequa Park NY. Massepequa is a Native American name by the way; it translates to "town by the mall"

I still have about 250-300 albums and they have been shipped and lugged cross country several times. I have often thought of trading them in since the sentimental value has been overshadowed by the thought of : Aw man...I have to move those heavy bastards again!"

Ah memories!!!

Korvettes! THAT brings back memories! We always used to go to the one in Brooklyn at Caesar's Bay not too far from the Verazzano bridge....oh the times, oh the morals!

Speaking of vinyl, I still have to go through my boxes of albums and 45s which were packed and shipped from NY last August but are still sitting in my parents' storage place....must get round to it ASAP since they have to travel the last 160 miles or so Palermo. I could never part with them, no matter how heavy.
Old Aug-12-2006, 4:35 PM

UK

Tokoloshe Man by John Kongos and Starman by David Bowie. Then I discovered Bolan ...

pjoslo - I remember it like yesterday (well, almost ) when I sat and waited for my fave songs to come on the radio and record them on tape. Before I had a tape recorder I just had a very old turntable which my dad wired up to a transistor radio for the sound ... you had to wait for the valves to warm up!! I once went running in to him because I'd 'discovered' a new radio station ... Radio Luxembourg ... he still ribs me about it to this day!

I also had Sparky's Magic Piano which I thought was real. Happy days.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Sep-13-2006, 7:15 PM

USA

Shows my age...

First 45- Twist and Shout/There's a Place (Tollie)
First LP- (Other than Disney) Introducing the Beatles (VJ)

(I was about 4 years old-and of course the records were bought for me) The first LP I puchased for myself were "More of the Monkeys" and I bought every Beatles' 45rpm I could come across.

M.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1969, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1996, 1997, album, albums, bands, cover, David, debut, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, journey, keys, solo, track, uriah heep