g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Trapeze Talk about shows, setlists, albums, where are they now.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul-17-2006, 8:29 AM

UK

Lightbulb Former Trapeze members

I know what Glenn, Mel and Dave are up to now. What are the other former Trapeze members doing now ?. I mean Pete Goalby, Terry Rowley, John Jones etc.

Ayesha
Old Jul-18-2006, 12:38 AM

USA

Icon27

Pete Goalby was in Rainbow from 1978-80 and then in Uriah Heep from 1982-85, in 1986 he was in a band called Perfect Stranger, and had a short-lived solo career. Last I heard of him musically was in 2001, when he was allegedly doing a band with Pete Boot of Budgie and John Hinch of Judas Priest. As of late he has been working for UK Guitar Builder Patrick Eggle.

Heard that Terry Rowley was doing work on soundtracks. Not sure what became of John Jones.
Old Jul-18-2006, 3:53 AM

UK

Whatever happened to. . .

Thanks Bassboy for those updates. I hope I can add a liitle more.

Pete Goalby went out to the States on New Years Eve to meet Blackmore with the promise of joining Rainbow, but never actually played a gig with them.

Terry Rowley has a bar in Spain where he performs for his customers (to backing tracks he laid down himself, of course) and according to Mel, Johnny Jones is still working the clubs as a singer/comedian under the name of Johnny Moon!

Regards, John
Old Jul-18-2006, 7:26 AM

UK

Thanks for the information bassboy and hackney. That is very kind of you .

Ayesha
Old Jul-18-2006, 9:31 AM

USA

Rob and Pete

The Budgie connection grows another branch; after leaving Trapeze, Rob Kendrick was living in the States and played with Budgie for a time in the late '70's. And Budgie guitarist John Thomas played on the first Phenomena album; there was a black Les Paul Custom that found a home with both Messrs. Galley and Thomas.

Pete Wright moved to the States as earlier discussed and survived the DFW Delta L-1011 crash in 1985. I think he still lives in Texas..does anyone know for sure?

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Jul-18-2006, 10:48 AM

USA

Thumbs up

My Pleasure Ayesha .... And thank you John and Bill for the additional info
Old Jul-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Netherlands

PHP Code:
Pete Goalby was in Rainbow from 1978-80 

Did I miss something??

Ronnie James Dio was Rainbow's singer from 75 to 78. Ronnie was recplaced by Graham Bonnet in 79. He was kicked out of the band after the legendary Castle Donington Monsters of Rock Show. This was in 1980. After Bonnet we had Joe Lynn Turner .. and the rest is history.

Maybe Pete Goalby auditioned for Rainbow. But he certainly never was a member of the band. Im glad he didn't
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
Rainbow-Mk4-big.jpg  
Old Jul-18-2006, 1:46 PM

UK

Goalby in Rainbow?

Like I said ealier, I asked Mel for the definitive about Pete and Rainbow and he confirmrd that following a Stateside audition at New Year, Pete was sent back home and NEVER played with Rainbow.
Old Jul-18-2006, 1:50 PM

UK

Pete Wright

Bill, I believe pete Wright still lives in the San Antonio and maybe pursuing his proffesion as a bartender???
Old Jul-18-2006, 4:06 PM

Austria

Originally Posted by Arjen
Graham Bonnet was kicked out of the band after the legendary Castle Donington Monsters of Rock Show. This was in 1980.

Hi Arjen,
need your help here please - I wasn't paying attention in the Rainbow classes at school, but still I'm very curious.
What happened at that show?

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jul-19-2006, 10:29 AM

USA

Icon49

Originally Posted by chrisloeb
need your help here please -
I wasn't paying attention in the Rainbow classes at school

This is very shocking news, indeed

If you don't start paying attention in class, young man,

you will be forced to repeat the semester, and begin with:

The History of the Deep Purple ~ Rock Family Tree ~101

(Like there has only been 847 people in DP, so far.......)
(Don't feel bad; I don't know the story either.)

Grace
Old Jul-19-2006, 12:49 PM

USA

Rock Detector seems to have the same information...they have Pete Goalby in two different line-ups of Rainbow

http://www.rockdetector.com/artist,7178.sm
Old Jul-19-2006, 1:21 PM

USA

I can confirm that Pete Goalby did audition with Rainbow either immediately before or immediately after Graham Bonnet (my memory is slipping a little at the moment). He even sang on some demos that were later wiped. He only lasted a couple of weeks as Blackmore was not impressed with his "limited range". He did not last long enough for any offical announcement to be made. Goalby then went on one final tour with Trapeze and then joined my favorite band, Uriah Heep, where he stayed until late 1985.
Old Jul-19-2006, 3:49 PM

Netherlands

Sorry Hackney,
After I read someone stating Pete Goalby was a member of Rainbow from 78 to 80 I had to reply so I missed your message.

Althought I cannot picture Goably wth Rainbow, I would love to hear his audition tapes
Old Jul-20-2006, 1:05 PM

UK

Rainbow and Goalby

I can assure you all that there is a story that I know about Goalby and Blackmore and the audition in Connetticut from a very good source but I can't relay it!!

Trust me he didn't play with Rainbow.

John
Old Jul-22-2006, 1:26 PM

USA

Hey John,

Regarding Pete Goalby's 15 minute stint in Rainbow, a line from This Is Spinal Tap comes to mind....."Some mysteries are better left unsolved..."

San Antonio seems to be a home away from home for British rockers; Wishbone Ash guitaristTed Turner lived there for many years so it is no surprise to me that Mister Wright has made his home there. I used to live there from 1983 till 1989 and am considering moving back there again since I have family there.I have many great memories of living there.

And Mark is dead right; San Antonio is a great rock n roll city!! Supposedly Rush played one of their first US gigs there at Randy's Rodeo, I believe. Triumph did likewise and Iron Maiden got some of their earliest airplay there on the late, great KISS 99.5 FM .

And Bad Company was once asked on Rockline what the strangest thing they ever autographed was....the answer was a tortilla! Seerms back in 1986 when the group played in San Antonio to promote their Fame And Fortune LP, they had gone to Mario's after the show. It's a famous Mexican restaurant that is open all night replete with mariachi musicians. My sister's friend Melanie heard these guys with English accents at the table next to her. After striking up a chat with them and knowing her younger sister was a big Bad Company fan, Melanie asked the guys to sign a flour tortilla with a Sharpie which the guys thought was funny as hell. She shellaced it and mounted it on a plaque as a present for her sister. I saw it and yes, it was pretty cool!

Old Jul-23-2006, 5:46 AM

UK

San Antonio Rocks

Bill that sounds like a nighty tasty snack indeed! I was made aware of a great Tex Mex band out of San Antonio a couple of years ago called Los Lonley Boys. They were voted best Rock Band at the festival there, I played their self titled debut album to death that summer. But the question is, where's the follow-up record?

Regards, John
Old Jul-23-2006, 7:23 AM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by hackney
Bill that sounds like a nighty tasty snack indeed! I was made aware of a great Tex Mex band out of San Antonio a couple of years ago called Los Lonley Boys. They were voted best Rock Band at the festival there, I played their self titled debut album to death that summer. But the question is, where's the follow-up record?

Regards, John

Could it be, because...........

Los Lonely Boys Bassist Joey 'JoJo' Sacarais Garza Arrested on Pot Possession, Assault Charges
Bass player Jojo Garza, of the Garza brothers from Texas who make up the rock band Los Lonely Boys, performs at the Providence Performing Arts Center in Providence, R.I., Sunday, Sept. 25, 2005. The bassist for the Los Lonely Boys was arrested Saturday in Austin Texas on charges of marijuana possession and assault, authorities said. Joey "JoJo" Sacarais Garza, 26, was in town with fellow sibling-bandmates, who were preparing for a concert. (AP Photo/Robert E. Klein)
07-22-2006 9:57 PM
AUSTIN, Texas -- The bassist for the Los Lonely Boys was arrested Saturday on charges of marijuana possession and assault, authorities said.
Joey "JoJo" Sacarais Garza, 26, was in town with fellow sibling-bandmates, who were preparing for a concert.
Police responding to a report of a disturbance at the Omni Hotel in downtown Austin found Garza and a woman in his room, police spokeswoman Laura Albrecht said. The woman was assaulted, Albrecht said.
Garza was charged with assault causing bodily injury and possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana. He was released from Travis County Jail hours later.
The San Angelo-based Tex-Mex flavored rock 'n' roll group hit the national spotlight in 2004 with their Grammy award-nominated debut album "Los Lonely Boys."

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Jul-23-2006, 7:36 AM

UK

Icon34

Thanks Chip Well it doesn't mean to say he's a bad person!! It seems I'm also getting my San Antonio's mixed up with my San Angelos!!

Time for another cold beer I think
Old Dec-30-2006, 2:29 AM
dpv

Goalby had audition at Roger Glover’s home studio (Prentice Wood) in England and musicians recorded an early version of “Since You Been Gone”. Then Peter went to France with Rainbow (Pelly-de-Confeld castle). Two days later Goalby was fired.
Old Feb-07-2010, 9:12 AM

UK

i recently had someone get in touch to say Rob Kendrick was living in Texas and still involved in the music scene,

Here is the site with Rob on the front page - http://greatbritmusic.com/

It's funny how some pics from the Trapeze page have ended up there without permission!

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Feb-08-2010, 7:14 AM

Norway

Originally Posted by wolfysmith View Post
i recently had someone get in touch to say Rob Kendrick was living in Texas and still involved in the music scene,

Here is the site with Rob on the front page - http://greatbritmusic.com/

It's funny how some pics from the Trapeze page have ended up there without permission!

I had a look at the http://greatbritmusic.com/ site and was somewhat suprised to see tourdates listed for Trapeze this spring (under "shows")

I googled mr Kendrick and found this "bio" of "Rob Kendrick's Trapeze" on http://www.myspace.com/buckjudkinsmusic :

Quote:
Rob Kendrick left England when Trapeze broke up and moved to Dallas, Texas. Mike Mikeska, who was playing drums in my band got an audition for Rob Kendrick's new band he was putting together to go back on the road playing the Trapeze songs. Mikeska encouraged me to also audition for the new band. We both got the job in the new band. After 2 months of rehearsals, we hit the road playing the old Trapeze songs.

After about a year on the road, Kendrick had been writing new songs for a new album and decided to go back in the studio to record the new album. Kendrick contacted David Geffen, of Geffen Records, who had worked with Kendrick during his earlier Trapeze days. Geffen offered to finance the studio project. The end result was a new album entitled, "Sad Affair". Geffen Records did not act on the new project and it layed dormant.

A year later Kendrick had a new batch of songs he had written and Geffen was again contacted. Geffen agreed to pay for the studio recording once again. 8 new songs were recorded with a totally different sound from the "Trapeze" sound we were so used to playing.

Kendrick worked the new songs into our Trapeze live show and the new songs were well received with the fans at our live performances, but not with Geffen Records. Geffen decided not to release either album and the new recordings went nowhere.

After 2 years of performing the Trapeze songs and 2 attempts of releasing a new album, Kendrick decided to go back to England and the band disbanded.

Old Feb-10-2010, 9:55 PM

USA

Icon34 He traded his bass for a ladle..

I remember when Mel did the chat with us...he corrected me about Pete Wright and his current occupation. Pete lives in Dallas and has been working in the restaurant business for a number of years....

I have the 2 CD compilation from Budgie called "An Ecstasy Of Fumbling" and the fact that Rob Kendrick played with the Welsh rockers for a time in the late 70's is duly noted in the booklet.

San Antonio has always been a great city for Budgie...I heard them on the radio there in the 80's for the first time and they recorded a live CD there a few years back.

RIP Joe Anthony..the Godfather Of Rock And Roll!!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Share Thread

Tags
1978, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1989, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, album, backing, bass, debut, Deep Purple, drums, glenn, guitar, history, solo, tour, Trapeze, uriah heep