g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Media Centre Interviews & the Press; pictures, video & soundbytes.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-23-2006, 10:04 AM

UK

Icon49 'Music For The Divine' - Classic Rock review

'Funk-packed set will delight fans but may not convert non-believers.'

When Glenn Hughes guested on the KLF's 1992 hit single America - What Time Is Love?, the band famously dubbed their hired hand 'The Voice of Rock.' It was a phrase that stuck. Fifteen years down the line, however, that VOR tag is looking increasingly like a misnomer.

Hughes aficionados will recall when the bassist / vocalist was a member of Midlands combo Trapeze. In 1972 he cut an album with them called You Are The Music ... We're Just The Band.' Tracks such as Keepin' Time and Way Back To The Bone combined funk and rock in such a lethal way it was scary. Music For The Divine offers more of the same.

Key to Hughes' 21st century rehabilitation is his partnership with Red Hot Chili Peppers' drummer Chad Smith. Soulfully Live In The City Of Angels (2004) and last year's Soul Mover showcased the duo's burgeoning funk-friendly relations. Now Music ... provides the real deal.

There's some sensational stuff on here, headed by the soulful rush of The Valiant Denial, which is bolstered by a swirling guitar riff reminiscent of Rush's Alex Lifeson playing Sweet Child O' Mine. Steppin' On might have the words 'low' and 'rider' in its lyrics, but Eric Burdon's War never sounded this overheated or intense.

The simian stampede of Monkey Man, the spine-quivering You Got Soul and Too High, which has a grumbling Purple-esque backbone, are three other highlights. What's more, Hughes' singing is more measured and less screamy than before. He's sounding better than he has done in years - even on a version of Nights In White Satin, goddammit.

Rounded off by a trio of spiky ballads - This House, Frail and The Divine - Music ... is the record fans have been willing Hughes to make for years. But others may consider it too fervid and indulgent. They may also find it hard to relate to Hughes' mind-set, which has become increasingly spiritual in his sobriety. The clue being in the album's title.

8/10

Geoff Barton
Classic Rock

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jun-23-2006, 1:51 PM

UK

Icon27

well done Shirl, you beat me to a Classic Rock posting

Also in the mag is their Top 100 Blues Anthems.

Trapeze's Black Cloud is at 83 "the most underated power trio of all time"

DP's Mistreated is at no 6. DC "Glenn and myself did a big vocal thing and it just sounded epic. But Ritchie was absolutely correct that you couldnt hear the guitar". So he had the dual vocals wiped.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jun-23-2006, 3:03 PM

UK

Icon49

The album should be called 'Addiction' - I just can't get enough of it.

When I first got it, The Valiant Denial stood out right away and it was played repeatedly, but the album keeps grabbing me this way and that every time I play it.

Up there with the gods is definitely Monkey Man and Too High. Sassy, and definitely grooooooooooovy. Two for the road in September

... although I keep walking around singing This Is How I Feel.

The magic touch is everywhere you listen with this one.

Glenn, Chad ... JJ, John - the deepest respect.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jun-23-2006, 7:16 PM

UK

I think I'd have to agree with the point made about finding Hughes' present mindset 'hard to relate to'. I must say I get more out of his Addiction era material from an emotional point of view...
Old Jun-23-2006, 9:07 PM

USA

Icon15

I'm with you Shirl .....M4TD is definitely becoming my favorite Glenn album since TWII ....The songs on this album stick out so much more than the past few albums, and IMHO...there isn't a weak song on the album. This was DEFINITELY a more SONG oriented album than many of his others, and I'm glad that Glenn is in this particular space at the moment

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Media Centre

Share Thread

Tags
1972, 1992, 1st, 2004, addiction, album, albums, Chad Smith, classic rock, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, soul mover, Trapeze