g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Keepin' Time

Keepin' Time Are you a songwriter or musician influenced by Glenn and his music? If you'd like to share your own musical compositions with us - you can do so here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar-09-2006, 8:55 AM
schreinermusic

Icon47 New Song

I just finished recording another song for Pete Stanford and me for our upcoming CD. This is just a rough mix and no Pete on vocals yet (but me... ). I will send Pete the track files these days then he is able to add some superb vocals to it. My vocals suck in that song....I know... ...i just sang to give you an impression of what the song is like.
Hope you like it so far, we both are always grateful for constructive critisism....

cheers, Achim
Old Mar-09-2006, 1:05 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,492 Posts
Great riff, solo and chorus Achim, look forward to hearing Pete finish it off

Kind of reminds me of a song by NWOBHM band called White Spirit.
Old Mar-09-2006, 7:26 PM

USA

Achim,
Scott here!! and YES I am rocking!!!! I will be putting this on the Ipod for the Gym... Never got back to you, sorry about that!

You need to know....You are the Man!! Thanks for everything..... and thats before I knew you were playing!!!

Now I have two things to look forward to Glenns and Your Music!! Keep it coming!!
CMFC!!!

scottscars's Sig:st
Old Mar-11-2006, 8:59 AM

USA

Not sure why, but I am unable to play the link. I can download it, but it will not play. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
Old Mar-11-2006, 9:13 AM

zUKUSA

It's definitely working Jon L. The mix is kinda low, so be sure and turn the volume up more than ususal. Other than that, did you confirm you can play other mp3's? Try downloading it again, especially if you're on dial-up, as perhaps your internet connection choked during the download and corrupted the file when it reached your end? Good luck.
Old Mar-11-2006, 3:23 PM

USA

I am unable to listen to any of the files on this website. I have no idea why - I didn't have this problem before on this site. This is the only site I am having trouble with. The files say they are "M3U" when i download them - not sure if that makes any difference. I've tried winamp, WMP, quicktime, real player...nothing works. But other sites and the files on my computer play fine. I have a cable modem, so that isn't an issue. Strange.
Old Mar-11-2006, 5:38 PM

zUKUSA

Not sure what to tell you Jon - it shouldn't be transposing the files into M3U - that is a playlist format, which should only ever be present if loading a bunch of songs or movies together. So something in your media player is kicking that off somehow. Perhaps if you reinstall all the players that will resolve it for you. A pain, but will no doubt fix it. We've not heard of anyone else having similar issues, and as I mentioned from our side, everything appears to be working fine.
Old Mar-12-2006, 5:28 AM

USA

Well, whatever problem I had downloading the link before is solved, as I got it to save properly. Thanks for the help, David.

Achim, the song sounds good. I like the keyboards - nice touch. What are you using to do your recording? I recently bought a recording program (Sonar 3 by Cakewalk) and there seems to be a lot to learn before I can make decent recordings.
Old Mar-12-2006, 10:54 AM
schreinermusic

Hey,
thanks all for the nice comments, I do appreciate very much indeed
After Pete will do his vocal parts, we will overdub some small "bumpers" and give it an appropriate mix. In this kind of work is Pete just phenomenal too.

Scott, I will send you another PM today. No need to worry, I know that we are all busy....

Jon L., thanks, mate. Actually Im working with Cakewalk too. I use the Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 which is pretty useful in recording. The SONAR series is similar but more "modern" and with lots of more features. It´s true, it takes some time to find out how to use and to be able to use the features it provides.
Personally, I think the Cakewalk series are very good, you get a very much "value for money" than with "Rebirth" or similar programs. But its a bit confusing sometimes though ... "Learning by doing" is the key, I guess.

Regarding the keyboards I used a Casio WK 3200 keyboard, sometimes I use the virtual Hammond Organ from Native Instruments called B4, which is such a great thing. Guitarwise I usuall use a Hughes & Kettner top (Matrix 100) combined with a Behringer V-Amp for home recording. For the drums, I work with a ZOOM RhythmTrak 234 Drumcomputer. But Im not programming patterns like most do, I do play the drumtrack "live" using the touchpads.

have a great day, Achim
Old Mar-12-2006, 12:18 PM
schreinermusic

Pete and I are planning to finish our CD this summer. The format is basically classic rock, mainly in the "HTP" kind of vein but also with some ballads and an instrumental as well. To give a last short impression, this is "Hold Me", which i wrote in 2004 and which will feature mixed vocals (the question is ...who is Turner and who Hughes.... ) in the final version, just like our song "In The Sky" which we uploaded last July.
As we speak, I´m trying to get an independent label here in Germany to achieve an european release.
We will definitely keep you updated.

let it rock, Achim
Old Mar-12-2006, 1:58 PM

USA

That one sounds cool, too. Nice lead guitar. The vocals in the chorus will sound pretty sweet when you two polish it up. If you are looking for "constructive criticism", I'd recommend that you bump the guitars up a bit in the final mix to give it more balls, make it a bit more powerful. There are also a couple drum fills (around 2:57 and 4:10) that sounded a tad off. I could be wrong on those, though - I'm not much of a drum guy. They just sound a bit rushed to me. Good luck finishing up the recording and getting a record deal.
Old Mar-12-2006, 7:23 PM
PRSJLA

Icon33 GLENN-ISMS

I have been writing music for a long time with verious musicians. Not much of what I write sounds like something that would go on a Glenn Hughes CD, however, through out the years, I have aquired what i call Glenn- isms. Simple little things that he does with the bass that probably I only notice. My band, "Vengeance"(shamless plug - vengeancemetal.com), is recording a song right now that was written by our guitarist. It is called "Legacy Of The Unknown Soldier", he wrote everything including the bass parts. Well, I must confess changed a few things during the session, (which he liked), I used dotted quarter notes, a Glenn staple from DP days, I walked the lower third, cromatic to the next cord change, another cool trick i learned from him. I don't do it to copy rather to honor the influence As soon as the song is finished I will try to get it on here.
Old Jun-19-2006, 9:10 AM

Switzerland

Great songs, Achim!
Of course, the production lacks a bit but the songs have really good potential. Very often I think that your songs would perfectly fit to JLT´s voice. Maybe you should give him a call??

Good work, Lisa
Old Jan-29-2007, 7:21 PM

USA

what a song

what a song oh yeah

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Keepin' Time

Share Thread

Tags
2004, bass, classic rock, David, drums, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, organ, solo, track