g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Trapeze Talk about shows, setlists, albums, where are they now.

Closed Thread

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar-03-2006, 12:28 AM

UK

Arrow Ask Mel Galley a Question

Following some prompting from me and his good friend and GHPGer Hackney, Mel Galley has kindly agreed to a question and answer session. This will not be on the Chat or in real time but here in this forum.

Please post no more than 3 questions each after this post and in a couple of weeks Mel and Hackney will go through them and I’ll post Mel’s replies seperately in this forum.

Please read other peoples questions before posting so we don’t get duplicate/similar ones on a particular subject.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Mar-03-2006, 6:53 AM

USA

Hi Mel, Hoping your doing well these days and thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

1. Rumor has it, that a final Trapeze studio album was recorded before Pete Goalby left for Uriah Heep in late 1981 but never released. Is this true? If so, will it ever see the light of day?

2. The Dead Armadillos - Live in Texas album is still a great listen but it is only half the show. Any chance the tapes containing the full set have survived and could see release?

3. There was a large amount of excellent material that Trapeze performed live but never recorded in between Medusa and You are the Music. There is a live recording (of course, not very good sound quality) in circulation from Norman, Oklahoma in 1972 where half the set consists of new material that can be heard nowhere else. Were these songs deemed inferior by the time the band entered the studio to record You are the Music...? I've been very curious because, as fantastic as You are the Music is, these live songs were also of very high quality.

Thanks again for your time.

Best Regards,
Brian
Old Mar-03-2006, 7:34 AM

UK

Hi Mel,

This mirrors a question I asked recently in the Forum;

The DVD format has spawned a myriad of music orientated releases over the last couple of years and as a result, we have been lucky enough to see some great concert footage being released that probably wouldn't have seen the light of day in the VHS age.

I wondered if there was any live Trapeze footage in the vaults that may be considered for future release on DVD?

Thanks & Best Wishes,

Keith.

zephead2112's Sig:"I think everybody wants to be a Freebird......" RVZ

www.simplyled.net
Old Mar-03-2006, 7:56 AM

UK

Questions for Mel

Hi Mel, thanks for your time.

1. Three songs have emerged on a Glenn Hughes studio bootleg credited to 'Trapeze featuring Gary Moore', the songs in question being 'Welcome To The Real World', 'Don't Ever Give Your Heart Away' and 'Fighting', All three of these titles were played live by you in MGM - are you on the studio versions or is it just Moore on guitar? (I'm guessing these were around the time Gary Moore pinched Glenn when he was considering a Trapeze reunion in the early/mid 80's?).

2. Some Whitesnake reissues are planned with bonus archive material added - is there likely to be any unreleased WS studio stuff with your good self on in the vaults?

3. Would you consider a solo album? If so, please sing on it as well as playing guitar - we're missing your voice!

Cheers

Tim.
Old Mar-03-2006, 10:06 AM

USA

Hello Mel.....

1. Have you ever considered re-recording the Hot Wire album with Glenn's full participation on bass and vocals (I thought you did an excellent job with the vocals but I've always wondered how it would have turned out with Glenn)?

2. Have you spoken to Dave Holland since his trouble with the law?

3. Ever consider a career-spanning cd compilation (Finders Keepers, Trapeze, MGM, Whitesnake, etc., etc.)?
Old Mar-04-2006, 12:53 AM

UK

Icon34

Mel,

Thanks for this opportnity,

1) How do you make a living these days?

2) MGM were great,what are your thoughts from that time, what happened to the demos that were recorded?

3) Any chance of working with Bernie Marsden again?, I thought you complemented each other so well in MGM.

Hope you are happy and well.
Old Mar-04-2006, 3:10 AM

UK

I forgot to say the cut-off date for questions is March 15th so you have plenty of time yet.

Old Mar-04-2006, 6:14 AM

USA

thanks wolfy but i have to say the same thing - any trapeze video or audio out there ? it dosent have to be perfect
Old Mar-04-2006, 10:02 AM
hkells

Mel, Glenn & Linda Blair at Movie The Exorcist

Hi Mel,

This is an email from your past. Do you remember going to see the movie The Exorcist shortly after it came out in Houston with Glenn, Andy, Linda Blair and myself. We sat rear the front of theatre and the guy in front of us had a near heart attack when he heard Linda laughing out loud and turned around and saw Linda sitting behind him while at the same time she was on the picture screen. Was that a crazy dream or did it really happen?

How your tennis game?
When are you coming back to Austin?

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers!
Howard
Old Mar-04-2006, 7:35 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,491 Posts
Icon32 More questions for Mel...

Here are a couple more questions via the CTC mailing we sent out earlier today, as more come in, I'll go ahead and post them here, so they're all in one place!

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Chris Poteat (USA)......

I always loved your guitar tone, especially on "You Are The Music...We're Just The Band". Did you play the Gibson SG/Hiwatt amps combination on both "Medusa" & "You Are The Music"? You are one of the most tasteful guitarists I have ever heard. Every band that I'm in, I make the guitar player listen to the solo on "What Is A Woman's Role" so they can hear one of the best guitar solos ever recorded.

After Deep Purple broke up you, Dave & Glenn briefly reformed Trapeze. Did the recordings that eventually became Glenn's first solo LP "Play Me Out" begin life as Trapeze recording sessions, or were you fully aware that they were going to be used for Glenn's debut solo record?

This isn't so much of a question, but I just wanted to say that I always loved "Hot Wire". I thought you did a great job handling lead vocals & that was a pretty funky little record!

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Jim Wilson (USA)......

Mel:
Please describe the Pete Goalby era in terms of the tours. Where did you play and with which bands did you perform?

Cheers!

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Dave Dubuc (USA)......

1:
Mel, Do you remember playing with Trapeze at Peabody Auditorium in Daytona Beach, Florida in 1971 & ''72?
I was there both times and those concerts were just beyond great!! One of the best memories of my youth! Thanks for that!!

2:
Are you still playing/writing/recording?

3:
Where do you call home these days?

Thanks for taking my questions Mel.
Old Mar-04-2006, 9:45 PM

USA

Hello Mel

Hello Mel,

I've been friends with your brother Tom since 1989. We talk on Phone all the time but have yet to meet so cheers. So here are my questions for you.

#1.- Are you guys going to release the songs you ,Glenn and Dave recorded in 1994 for the Best of Trapeze and the reissues that never came out?

#2.- Have you considered using any of the unreleased songs like
"Easy Touch","Real World" or any from that time for your new solo album?

#3.-How's your new solo record coming along? We all miss you and need to hear you again.

galleyfan
(Scott)

galleyfan's Sig:SCOTT
Old Mar-05-2006, 2:21 AM

UK

Questions for Mel Galley

I have some question for Mel too.

1. If you are recording a solo album, which musicians would you choose ?.

2. Of all the solo albums Glenn Hughes had made, which ones are your favourites ?.

By the way, I admire your works with Trapeze, Whitesnake and Phenomena.

Ayesha
Old Mar-05-2006, 1:16 PM

Spain

Icon24

HI MEL,3 QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

-WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE NEW WHITESNAKE'S STUFF?

-WHICH IS YOUR FAVOURIST SINGER?

-AND WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR CLOTHES FOR THE SHOW IN DONINGTON WITH WHITESNAKE?
Old Mar-05-2006, 5:08 PM

USA

Icon33 Big Ed from Atlanta checks in

Hello Mel!
This is just wonderful to be able to reconnect after so many years (I'd tried to e/mail you through Tom's site but I now hear that "personal" posts are deleted). I miss the old days (but have been reliving them to a certain extent this past year!) You see Hydra has reformed and I jumped into the fray as the sound engineer and when a live album became a reality I was ready with an album name, concept, and liner notes (the live Trapeze CD had inspired me). They graciously designated me as an "EXECUTIVE PRODUCER". Well, on to the questions:
1) How the hell are you my old friend???
2) Do you ever make it over to the states anymore? I had heard that you'd quit playing and didn't even own a guitar at one point (I found that hard to believe!!!) but if I'm reading this stuff correctly, you're playing and recording again - COOL!!!
3) Any chance you might give an old man a shout? (I've conveniently included my e-mail address and the HYDRA web address - the guys would be thrilled if you visited us and signed the guestbook.
I miss you and hope to hear from you soon

Big Ed
(ivanbmalone@msn.com / www.atlantamusicgroup.com/Hydra.html)

Big Ed's Sig:** * *** * * ***** *** ** *********** ** ******* ***
Old Mar-07-2006, 8:29 AM

zUKUSA

Icon32 More questions for Mel...

Here are a couple more via CTC.....

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Joe E (USA)......

1. Do you have a favorite album from the Trapeze Days ?

2. Who is your most influencial guitarist ?

3. Any suggestions for an individual in the process of developing their own guitar style ?

Thanks Mel.

Joe E

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Jimmy Rusidoff (USA)......

Mel-
Been a fan of yours for a very long time. If you look at the cover of You Are the Music... I the guy down in the lower right with the black-rimmed glasses jumping up and waving as the photographer was snapping the pic. I remember ya'll had gotten a bunch of equipment stolen a day or two earlier, and it was really hot but Glenn wouldn't take off his shirt because he was timid about showing his "white English body!" Light years ago!!!

Saw the Trapeze reunion tour when I lived in Dallas in the 90's, too.

You have been a big influence on me and lots of other guitarists that I know in the Memphis area for your blending of hard rock and a funk feel.

Just a couple of questions:

1. How's the hand doing? Still gotta wear that claw thang?

2. As to the funk/jazz influence: was that you, or Glenn or both?

Nothing else, just thank you for all the music, inspiration, and influence!

God bless ya-
JimmyR

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Joey (USA)......

Hello Mel,

#1 I have been waiting a long time for new Trapeze music. I'd really like to see you and Glenn come up with a killer release. What's the chances of this happening?

#2 Will Trapeze ever reform and do a live concert DVD? That would be great!!

#3 Hughes/Galley, how does that sound for a future project?

All the best,
Joey
Old Mar-07-2006, 10:09 AM
NEAL DREW

Icon34

Hello Mel,

Remember me & my brother Keith. Going back to the days of Botty, Clampett, Toothy & Waggy et al. Catacombs, Lafayette & Barbarellas etc.

Just one question:-

Do you still play live at all, and are you ever likely to visit the west country, would love to meet up again.

PS - I've still got me boots but they're a bit tight now !! Mind you they are about 30 years old ! What days they were. Keep healthy. - Neal.
Old Mar-07-2006, 10:44 AM

Spain

Hi Mel,

thank you for taking your time to answer our questions.

1- Are there any unreleased tracks / ottakes from Whitesnake's "Slide it in" album that could be released in the future as bonus tracks of remastered cd?

2- There's is a release of the first Phenomena, that has two bonus tracks. Will there be new bonus tracks on the reisssue of the Phenomena's cds?

3- On the 1975 Trapeze album, Glenn sings on two tracks, did he sing in some others?

Thanks

Pere
Old Mar-07-2006, 12:35 PM

USA

Icon49

WOW.
It looks to me as if Mel is taking on a part-time job,
agreeing to answering all of our questions concerning Trapeze.
(And more importantly, our concerns for his recovery.)

Yep, the man is a big influence on guitarists; from then 'till now.
When 'ya got class, Mel, 'ya got class

Looks like "Ask Mel Galley a Question" should be a permanent
category on this web site. Glenn won't mind.......after all,
(and I quote) "TRAPEZE is my baby."
Old Mar-07-2006, 2:20 PM
Harley Kidd

Icon33 To Mel Galley

Hi Mel.

I am an old fan of Trapeze and you from the early 70's when I saw you guys in Texas several times. I know you have moved on to some other great bands.

Since I am a guitar player too I was just wondering about the gear esp amps you used back during Trapeze and also what you use today?

I have a 73 LP Custom setup alot like I remember you had.

Hope you have time to respond to this post and god bless.
Old Mar-10-2006, 9:24 AM
Wayback2thebone

Ask Mel Galley a Question

Hi Mel. Was playing Hot Wire only last week. Still sounds great. I remember seeing Trapeze with Edgar Winter at Oxford and we had a few beers in the bar afterwards. Then we went to Walsall following week to see you. Awesome stuff.

1. How's your hand. Are you still able to play?

2. Any chance of Box set of Trapeze stuff with unrecorded material?

3. We know about Holland (!), but what about other ex-Trapeze members these days and are you still in touch with them?
Old Mar-12-2006, 9:12 PM

zUKUSA

Icon32 Couple more from CTC....

Here are some more questions via CTC.....

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Andrew Steed (UK)......

Hi Mel,

I've been a fan for a long time. I remember paying 50p to see Trapeze at the Forum in Cannock. Many years later we had an occasional drink together in the Queen's in Hednesford and I remember half a dozen great Sunday lunchtimes in the mid 80's when you and the guys from Climax Blues Band (was it Derek Holt and John Cuffley?) used to jam at that pub in Stafford (can't remember the name).

My questions are:

1) Did you do any recordings with Derek, and if you did is there any chance of releasing them?

2) I know that there are at least three demos from the first Phenomena album that you sang on - Hell On Wings, Assassins of the Night and Phoenix Rising. I used to work with Ian Lowe who did the cover pictures and he played me these many years ago. They were as good as the released versions (in fact I think Assassins was better). Any chance of releasing these along with any others that may exist?

3) The last time I saw Trapeze was at Walsall Town Hall in what was probably the last tour. I can't remember any names but you certainly played some new unreleased songs. Again, any chance of releasing some?

Basically we need some more music from you Mel. You are a great singer and guitarist and I'd love to hear some new material from you.

Very best wishes.

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Philip de Vroe (Holland)......

Here are my three questions for Mel:

1) 2007 will mark the 35th anniversary of the legendary Trapeze "You Are The Music" album - is there a chance you will reform Trapeze to celebrate that and do a couple of shows, for example on one of the popular "classic rock" festivals such as Arrow Classic Rock in the Netherlands?

2) What's your best memory/anecdote about being part of Whitesnake in the early eightes?

3) I heard a rumour that you were involved with the band Badlands (featuring guitarist Jake E. Lee and singer Ray Gillen) in the early nineties - did you jam with them live, and/or work on any songs together?
Old Mar-13-2006, 3:15 AM

USA

Questions

Hi there Mel,

- Did you play in the USA in 1990? What was the band line-up?
- Were you really doing a carpenter job for the Donington 1981 (?) festival
- Did you ever visit a Deep Purple show with glenn in the band?? did you meet the purple members back then???
Old Mar-15-2006, 9:25 AM

USA

Icon34 Roll the credits!!

I know today is the last day for questions.....most of the ones I might have had have been asked....but I just wanted to tip my hat to several people who have recently done so much work behind the scenes to help fill in the blanks in the Mel Galley story;

Thank you so much to Wolfysmith and Hackney for setting this whole question and answer forum up And thank you to Ad for posting all those articles about Mel; they really answered a lot of questions that I had for a long time...your archive must be fantastic!!

And a nod to Spartacus and galleyfan for their contributions regarding Mels' guitars and the Phenomena projects

And finally...here's to you Mister Galley.....for all the music and all your fine work...You Are The Music!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Mar-15-2006, 4:13 PM

zUKUSA

Icon32 One more via CTC....

One other before the closing date from a CTC subscriber....

Ask Mel Galley a Question - from Julie Silvester (UK)......

Dear Mel,
Other than the obvious question - any chance of taking Trapeze back out on the road?

I'd really just like to say a massive "thank you".

I've been a big Trapeze fan since '76 after first hearing 'Way Back to the Bone' and I am now the proud owner of 'You are the music....' on CD which is something I've been trying to get hold of for years but could never find - until the Deep Purple Appreciation Society got it for me just last week. It sounds fantastic without all the little scratches from my well used album.

I love ALL of Glenn's music - but it is always extra special to hear him play Trapeze numbers in the set. I never did get to see Trapeze live and it would mean so much to me, and so many others, if you toured with Glenn - or even if it was just one single Trapeze gig - anywhere, anytime.

Thanks again for the music, you 'touch my life'.

Julie
Old Mar-16-2006, 5:18 AM

UK

Thats all folks!

i havent counted how many questions there are but it will give Mel and Hackney plenty to think about over a pint or two. Hopefully it wont be too long before i post Mel's replies back in the Trapeze forum.

I can report that Mel is "Gobsmacked" (another word to add to your list Grace) by the amount of interest there still is in him and his music career.

Old Mar-16-2006, 6:58 AM

USA

Icon49

Originally Posted by wolfysmith
I can report that Mel is"Gobsmacked"
(another word to add to your list Grace)
by the amount of interest there still is in him and his music career.

I'm gonna' need a dictionary because of all of you annoying British people.

Why on earth should Mel Galley be "bomb-a-leed" at our reaction to his work?
(A nice Italian word, meaning: flabbergasted.)

People still own Mel's records.
(OK, they might be scratchy by now, but still listen-able.)
Not all cassette tapes have gone to cassette tape heaven.
And crisp, clean CDs make a recording sound brand new.

We may be GH CRAZY PEOPLE here, but "we ain't stupid none."
We know good stuff when we hear it.
Just because it might be "vintage" doesn't mean that people have forgotten it.

Ask Mozart.

Thanks for arranging this, Paul.
We are all waiting for the replies, and take good care of yourself, Mel

Grace
Old Mar-16-2006, 9:07 AM

UK

QUESTIONS FOR MEL

Hi everybody!

What a wonderful response to this thread – I'm having a drink with Mel at John Ogden's leaving party tomorrow night and will give Mel a copy of all your questions – he is genuinely knocked out by your interest.

Many thanks, John
Old Apr-08-2006, 12:21 PM

UK

mel's answers

Hi folks, I saw Mel today, and he's working his way through your questions. Regrettably I have to report that there will be a delay in my involvement with the project due to the sudden death of my Mom on Wednesday.
I'll get back on the case in the next few weeks.
I'm sure that the the answers, when we do manage to get 'em to ya will be well worth the wait!

Best regards, John
Old Apr-09-2006, 12:51 PM

USA

Sorry to hear this news.
May your Mom live on in your memory.
Take care...............

Old Apr-11-2006, 12:30 AM

USA

Hello Hackney!

Hello Hackney,
So sorry to hear about your Mother. I too, lost mine a couple of months ago. So I know what you are feeling. Hang in there.
We are all with you in spirit.

Cheers,

galleyfan

(Scott)

galleyfan's Sig:SCOTT
Closed Thread

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Share Thread

Tags
1971, 1972, 1975, 1981, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1st, 2007, album, albums, bands, bass, book, Cannock, classic rock, cover, debut, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, Mel Galley, solo, solo album, tour, Trapeze, uriah heep, Video, win