g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Hughes/Thrall

Hughes/Thrall Talk about shows, setlists, albums, latest updates and all things Pat & Glenn related.....

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-20-2006, 9:32 AM

Sweden

Arrow Hughes / Thrall 1

Seeing that we just received the exciting news of HT2, let's remember the original release. What is everyone's take on this album?

For me, HT1 = the essence of Glenn. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Would be interesting to hear from you!

Daniel

Old Feb-20-2006, 1:15 PM

USA

It's probably my least fav product featuring Glenn.

I love the two Trapeze records (never heard the debut), adore all of the Purple records; both Voodoo Hill; both HTP (still waiting for Menn Project); every collaboration with Iommi and, of course, each of his solo records.

Hughes/Thrall is the only one that doesn't move me. I think a lot of that has to do with the dreadful cheesy 80s production. It just sounds so.....synthetic and inorganic, for lack of better terms
Old Feb-20-2006, 1:33 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,492 Posts
I disagree SoundMaster. I was also first introduced to Glenn's music via Trapeze and then Purple. So was very much into that genre of music and didn't pay much attention to what was going on in the modern rock scene in the early 80's and to be honest, there wasn't a lot was there!

But when I heard he had released a new record as Hughes/Thrall, of course I rushed to buy it. It was a revelation and a real eye opener for me. I hadn't heard anything like it at the time - it was a real breath of fresh air, it was great to reintroduce my friends at the time to Glenn Hughes. I don't think it was ever off the turntable for about 3 years at the local establishments where I used to hang out

I can imagine for those who weren't around in the early 80's it's hard to understand where I and others are coming from. It really was a completely different & unique sound than what was on offer from others.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to hearing the remaster which I hope brings them back to the turntables - oops, CD players
Old Feb-20-2006, 2:00 PM

USA

I do plan on buying the remastered version and giving it another chance. Glenn is simply too talented to release a poor product. Hopefully, the remastered version will breathe new life into the record and I'llf find myself digging it.

I do like the songs from the record that I've heard released on Glenn's various live products....Muscle & Blood in particular. The sound/production on the album, however.....

But it's the same with many artists in my view. Production qualities in the 80s - aside from a few bands - really suffered.

For example: Plant's "Shaken and Stirred" and "Now and Zen"...awful sound.

Sab's "Seventh Star"....the drum sound is dreadful.

Judas Priest's "Defenders" through "Ram It Down"....all grossly ovderproduced.
Old Feb-20-2006, 3:32 PM

USA

Thumbs down

i know what you mean about music in the early 80s david
Old Feb-21-2006, 5:17 AM

UK

I love this release and i played it non stop when i first got hold of it on cd. i have it vinyl as well now. the cd still gets a regular play. i think it was years ahead of its time and there isnt a weak song at all. i know what you mean about the mix Soundmaster, it is dated now, but the songwriting and performances are top quality.

Classic Rock mag made it their first "Must Have" album and that is high praise indeed from them.

Favourite song is tough cos they are all so good but i'll go for Who Will You Run To, Muscle and Blood, and Beg Borrow Steal as my top 3.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Feb-21-2006, 6:01 AM

UK

Cool

Originally Posted by David
It was a revelation and a real eye opener for me. I hadn't heard anything like it at the time - it was a real breath of fresh air, it was great to reintroduce my friends at the time to Glenn Hughes. I don't think it was ever off the turntable for about 3 years at the local establishments where I used to hang out

My eldest brother and I were absolutely in love with this album at the time. When either 'First Step .. ' or 'I Got Your Number' was played at the nightclub we frequented we were the only ones who jumped up and boogied like mad to them ... I do remember the feeling of 'there's only us knows who this is ' and we were asked on occasion who we were dancing to!

I play it regularly and it's most definitely one of my favourites!

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Feb-21-2006, 8:02 AM

UK

Fantastic album and ahead of its time, should have been an all time sales classic with the right record company and promotion.

I wonder if any gigs will result from the re-master and new release, I guess time will tell
Old Feb-21-2006, 11:44 AM

Spain

I think that it is a master piece, a must have album, is one of my favourite cd's, I am anxious to listen it remastered with bonus tracks.

Old Feb-21-2006, 1:09 PM

UK

Smile

THIS IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE BEST THING TO COME OUT OF THE 80's. I LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEW REMASTER
Old Feb-21-2006, 3:31 PM

UK

The Best !

Hughes - Thrall: The best GH has produced so far. In fact so good, and so legendary that I'm almost sad that they are going to make Hughes Thrall 2 as it can never live up to the expectation.

Yes I know that's a really sad attitude but some things should stay "of their time" and never try to make a comeback or the legend dies a little every time. (See also Deep Purple, UFO, The Italian Job, Rollerball and one for the US sports fans, Mario Lemieux). Sorry guys, get back in my memories where you belong.
Old Feb-21-2006, 3:39 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by steve28
Hughes - Thrall: The best GH has produced so far. In fact so good, and so legendary that I'm almost sad that they are going to make Hughes Thrall 2 as it can never live up to the expectation.

Sure, but this is GLENN we're talking about Think Pat is more on the spot than The Voice! We'll see, but I just can't imagine Glenn or Pat making a sub-standard album and having it come across as a let down with the fans, especially after all the time that has passed - afterall, they know expectations are high
Old Feb-21-2006, 3:45 PM

USA

Icon33

Good point, David. We all know what Glenn's capable of, as he proves time and again. The real question is "what does Pat have in his bag of tricks?"

Todd
Old Feb-21-2006, 3:52 PM

USA

I think most of us Hughes-fans played the 'hell' out of the album when it first came out simply because it was new Glenn product and back then new Glenn product wasn't an everyday occurence (if you know what I mean).
Old Feb-21-2006, 5:57 PM

UK

Icon34

Having not been around at the time of release I can't expieriance what it was like to hear it when it was fresh.

I got it a few years ago and it wa one of the first Hughes solo records I got. To be honest I was pretty dissapointed with it.

Oddly I felt dissapointed because I knew I loved a lot of the songs on it. I really liked the tracks included on Burning Japan Live and was all over the version of First Step on Live In South America, but when I heard the actual studio album I thought it sounded weak and dated.

All my problems with this album are purely production, the songs are amazing (still not my fav GH songs), but I far prefere listening to the versions on the mentioned live albums.

I'm hoping that the remaster will bring it back to life for me, because I've always been frustrated by HT.
Old Feb-22-2006, 5:31 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Beese
Having not been around at the time of release I can't expieriance what it was like to hear it when it was fresh.

I got it a few years ago and it wa one of the first Hughes solo records I got. To be honest I was pretty dissapointed with it.

Oddly I felt dissapointed because I knew I loved a lot of the songs on it. I really liked the tracks included on Burning Japan Live and was all over the version of First Step on Live In South America, but when I heard the actual studio album I thought it sounded weak and dated.

All my problems with this album are purely production, the songs are amazing (still not my fav GH songs), but I far prefere listening to the versions on the mentioned live albums.

I'm hoping that the remaster will bring it back to life for me, because I've always been frustrated by HT.

My feelings exactly.
Old Feb-22-2006, 1:40 PM

Finland

First Step Of Love is one of the best songs Glenn has ever done.I got Your Number and M&B are good too.

I hope we can see those beatiful promo videos on dvd sometimes
Old Feb-22-2006, 4:46 PM

USA

This was one of if not the first GH album I bought when I got into Glenn in 98....I think Face the Truth might have been the first. I was really impressed with it then and it's a great album. The production is lame by today's standards and some of it sounds like they recorded out of a spring reverb attached to some old mixing board (like on Muscle and Blood.) It's still essential Glenn and I look forward to getting the remaster. I'm the opposite of many fans like the first poster in this thread. I've never enjoyed very much the Trapeze stuff except for You are the Music which I merely like. Glenn's voice was too different on those records and I also wasn't impressed by the guitar playing.
Old Feb-23-2006, 5:41 AM

UK

As regards the original mix/production, i would have suggested re-recording the songs all over again but that wont happen now with the remaster being worked on. Actually i would love to hear JJ add his touch of class to these songs and have him and Pat play on HT2.

Will JJ be involved at all with HT2 David?

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Feb-23-2006, 7:09 AM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith
Will JJ be involved at all with HT2 David?

No, I don't believe so, it is Hughes/Thrall afterall
Old Mar-01-2006, 12:54 PM

UK

Hughes/Thrall is the real highpoint of Glenn's 80's run. There's not a duff track on it and Glenn and Pat ooze chemistry. It's a great album and I'm looking forward to the sequel!

We can't accuse them of rushing it now can we?

JG

James Gaden's Sig:"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

www.solitaryvision.co.uk www.jamesgaden.co.uk www.myspace.com/jamesgaden

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Hughes/Thrall

Share Thread

Tags
album, albums, bands, David, debut, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, hughes thrall, Hughes/Thrall, solo, track, Trapeze, Video, voodoo hill