g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct-12-2005, 12:11 PM

UK

Icon31 Personal Norwich Review

Well. Where do I begin? There’s so much to say about such a great night that I could go on and on about it – and I probably will As the only GHPG reporter there, sadly Shirl couldn’t make it, I will try and describe it so you can imagine being there yourselves. It was a night of emotions, of despair, then elation, great music, a WORLD EXCLUSIVE, a wedding proposal, farce, and finally, the power of GHPG

I found the venue in the centre of no problem despite the one-way system but when I got there about 10 mins before the doors were due to open at 7.30 there was a long queue. And when I say long, I mean all 900 ticket holders appeared to be in it! It went right the length of the road and round the corner. I finally got inside at 8pm but thanks to my “GHPG insider’s” knowledge I had bought my ticket nice n’ early. Not having looked at it since it arrived in the post I hadn’t noticed the ticket number was 0007. When I got inside they checked it and said I was on the front row as seating was by ticket number. What a result Went down to the front and two teenage lads were sitting in seats 6 & 7 but I soon sent them packing back to seat 6 hundred and something that was on their ticket. Either side of me were a boyfriend and girlfriend couple in their twenties that were big RHCP fans. Telling them Glenn was there, the girls were “WHO” and the lads were “wasn’t he in DP” – nothing changes but at least they’d heard of him! Of course I told them all about SM and how they had to buy it. I would guess that 99% of the crowd were Chili fans. There were a lot of teenage and younger kids both male and female. Plus loads of Uni students. I saw a few Soul Mover tour shirts though. At 8.30 Matt Goom from the NDA came on and introduced thinking I would be right at the back – in fact I sent Shirl a text message saying I wasn’t going to have a good seat Then a bit more chat about how he just loves to play in a band and with other musicians and that he had recently been playing with a friend in Spain.

I can’t remember the exact question he asked of the crowd – something along the lines of you may have heard of GH. Someone in the crowd shouted at the top of their voice “The Voice of Rock” OK. It was me Chad turned round, saw my shirt and said “Oh, a Coast to Coast shirt from the net, what’s your name”. “WolfySmith from GHPG”. “Wolfy! You’re Wolfy! That’s great, and you’re on the front row. Wow.You told me you were coming. That’s great”. You can imagine the adrenaline running through me by now Anyway, Glenn came on and they burst into Lay Down, Stay Down with no vocals Blistering. Glenn’s signature bass was crystal clear – with a slight intentional fuzzy distortion (if that makes sense). Great acoustics in this large old ex-church. Then a bit of the usual chit chat between them – the personal friendship and mutual respect as musicians is so obvious when they are on stage. Then a funked up version of Mistreated. Not as long as normal as obviously no JJ around. Chad said they had no idea what to play so any requests. High Road and Orion from me and a few Soul Mover’s and Let it Go from elsewhere in the crowd. Then I suggested the whole album Soul Mover it was and then into something else which I’m afraid I can’t remember but it may have been You Fool No-one which they definitely did in this section.Unlike Ian Paice though, Chad doesn’t grab the cymbal with his hand to stop it. One to practice eh Soulmover! In fact I can’t remember the exact order from there on but it was something like this. A few shouts for RHCP stuff but as Chad pointed out, Glenn didn’t know them well enough. Then Chad said to Glenn, “just play something Funky and I’ll follow”. And off they went. Glenn’s funky pedal effects were really put to good use. Amazing playing by both When there’s no guitar around you can really appreciate what they are doing. And when you’re as close as I was sitting even more so. I wish I could have seen those Spanish shows – feel free to send me a boot of one.. Then a WORLD EXCLUSIVE. A new track from Glenn’s new album he’s been writing. Glenn said no vocals yet as only the music for the song was done. A fantastic fast funky hard riff. Reminded me of Stormbringer/CTTB type stuff I was just trying to imagine JJ as well. Some more amazing jamming and it was time for Glenn to go. But not before launching into Burn. A very different experience without Blackmore’s classic riff over the top of Glenn’s thumping bass line. Chad did a bit more Q&A then a final massive drum hammering and it was “Good Night Norwich”. But the drama still wasn’t over.

Chad got Matt on stage, then Matt’s girlfriend. Down on one knee he went and proposed in front of everyone. Not a dry eye in the house

Up with the house-lights, off to the merchandising area and everybody out. There were some great exclusive Chad Smith NDA shirts available – guess which resident of Scottsdale, Arizona will be getting one for Xmas! Also I spotted FFF for sale. At last! “How much?” I asked. She hunted round, no-one knew, gave me a card for the NDA and said ring on Monday and they might be able to send me one in the post! Unbelievable. Just as well Grace and her axe weren’t around or there would have been trouble

So off I went to see if I could get to meet Glenn and Chad. Sat around for a while and let the crowd hanging around at the entrance to the dressing room area get smaller. But then I thought, hold on, I know that guy over there. David introduced me to him at JB’s on the SM tour and we met and chatted again at the Roadmender show on the last date. So I stop him on his way back stage and say hello. Yes, its Carl and he remembers me, and will see what he can do. Then I tell him about not getting to buy FFF. He can’t believe it either and off we go to the merchandise area. He asks an old guy behind the desk where the price is and he says “Do you want to buy it?” “Buy it! I’m Glenn’s manager and we’re supposed to be selling it!” The look on the guys face was priceless. So finally I get a copy and make my way back across the hall and wait for a bit longer. But after a while it was “please leave the hall if you haven’t got passes” time. Luckily I see Carl again and he gives me a pass and says let the guys chill for a bit. Then the time comes and its my first ever back stage meet at a show.

There’s Glenn sitting down and relaxing, looking fit, healthy and cool as ever A warm “Wolfy Smith. Hello" and we chat like old friends about the show and what a great sound from his new bass. In fact he gets it out of its case and insists I take a couple of pictures of it to post on here cos he’s so pleased with it. It really did sound good. And Glenn also said to let everyone know that he is 100% healthy after the Spanish show It was just the sheer heat at the venue. Then Glenn takes me through into the next room where Chad is. Another big “Wolfy Smith Hi!” I never realised just how tall Chad is. And we chat about music as if we’ve known each other years. I hope I wasn’t waffling on like some starstruck kid guys But it was just such an emotional buzz to meet you both. I’m still buzzing now! In fact how I got through a meeting at 10am this morning I don’t know. I was still humming Soul Mover in my head and thinking about all the questions I wished I had asked.

Then its time for me to leave as their transport is on its way, so I say my goodbyes and head off back to the Holiday Inn. (not without getting lost in the one-way system first tho’) where I recount the entire night to my lovely wife. (Lucy is fast asleep in her cot but tells me the next day that she likes Glenn Hooooos).

>>

Once again, I’d like to thank Chad, Glenn, and Carl for such a great night

And David & Shirean, without this site and your personal introductions to people it would never have happened. I owe you a pint next time you are over

My pictures could take a while to get on here as I’ve only a dial-up modem so bear with me. I also took a few 15sec movie clips – without sound unfortunately , I need to upgrade! – which I hope to post next Tuesday if all goes to plan cos I will have access to a fast connection that night.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Oct-12-2005, 12:21 PM

UK

taken from my seat. i didnt have to use a zoom. thats how close i was
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
DSCN0887a.jpg  

Old Oct-12-2005, 12:26 PM

UK

check out the shoes!
DSCN0894a.jpg  

Old Oct-12-2005, 12:33 PM

UK

getting tighter!
DSCN0893.JPG  

Old Oct-12-2005, 12:41 PM

UK

a bit dark this one. not sure what happened to the flash.
DSCN0901.JPG  

Old Oct-12-2005, 12:48 PM

UK

Glenn insisted i take this pic to show you. He's really pleased and proud of his new signature bass.
DSCN0905.JPG  

Old Oct-12-2005, 12:57 PM

UK

and this one
DSCN0906.JPG  

Old Oct-12-2005, 1:08 PM

UK

i'm the one in the middle
DSCN0909.JPG  

Old Oct-12-2005, 1:44 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Great report wolfy - pleased to hear everything worked out in the end and that you had a fantastic time. Thanks for the pix and movie clips next week By the way, you can attach up to 6 pix at one time in each post......probably 'cuz you're on dial-up it's easier with one, eh? Just FYI, for when you get high speed access soon
Old Oct-12-2005, 2:17 PM

UK

Hi Wolfy
Thanks for the great read & pics-It sounded like a fantastic night for you!
It's good to hear that there are still FFF buying opportunities now & again
Cheers
Ben
Old Oct-12-2005, 3:37 PM

USA

Excellent report Wolfy It makes me wish I was there. Looking forward to more of your photos.

Chip

PS - Woo hoo!! I can't wait for Santa to visit Scottsdale!!
Old Oct-12-2005, 6:40 PM

USA

Icon33

That was a great report, Wolfy - it put me right there! Thanks for retaining enough sanity to type it up, LOL.

Cheers...Todd
Old Oct-13-2005, 2:32 AM

Bulgaria

Great report, Wolfy!

But did you ask Glenn about Fused tour?
Old Oct-13-2005, 3:33 AM

UK

Icon34

I can vouch for Wolfy's enthusiastic review. I was sitting in the pews behind the stage and had a great view of Chad working round the kit. It was a very enjoyable evening...which carried on to the early hours in the bar back at the hotel
Rob
Old Oct-13-2005, 4:32 AM

USA

A mighty fine report Wolfy! It's always a fun, memorable evening with Glenn and Chad around. Good to see the show sold so well, hopefully it'll get more shows started, like over on this side of the world?!
Old Oct-13-2005, 5:31 AM

UK

I forgot to say the whole thing was filmed and shown on a large screen either side of the stage. whether this was actually recorded and will be available to buy i dont know.

David, yes i knew but it is easier that way on dial up. plus i could comment on each one individually.

Chip, They had size XL

Lazy, no dates yet but GHPG will be the place to find out.
Chad said the new RHCP album will be out early next year with a tour to follow.

EnglishRob, you should have come over and said hello.

Been listening to the SM cd again and i can really picture Chad playing it. Somehow the drumming stands out for me more now.

Old Oct-13-2005, 8:55 AM

USA

Icon24 It doesn't get any better than that!!

Aww Wolfy...you must have been in heaven!!

Especially to have Chad pick you out and recognize you from the Fan Forum....how cool is that??

I willl have to move again soon..here's hoping it will be closer to a big city and real entertainment!! But moments like those...you cherish them! I am still flashing on my first visit to the Hard Rock Hotel in March 2003...sitting in Lou Carrier's office with all that killer memorabilia.....having Lou spend all that time with us....When we left his office, I seem to remember telling David that I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming!

Thanks for the review and the pics...you are a lucky man!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Oct-13-2005, 3:30 PM

USA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith
Chip, They had size XL

So Wolfy....what are you trying to say?

Chip
Old Oct-14-2005, 10:45 AM

UK

Icon34

Originally Posted by wolfysmith
EnglishRob, you should have come over and said hello.

Wolfy, I was standing next to you when you took the pictures of Glenn and his bass backstage!!

Rob
Old Oct-16-2005, 5:11 AM

USA

wolfysmith -did you ask glenn about the fused tour directly? did he say it was going to happen but no dates were set yet? i can understand if you got caught up in the moment -that must have been like a dream-up real close at the show and then back stage with glenn and chad great review!!!!!
Old Oct-16-2005, 7:54 AM

UK

Icon27 it's a blur

Tony, to be honest, my mind was such a blur after all that, what with meeting them both and so on , that i can barely remember anything we talked about! Although ive met Glenn a couple of times before it was only for a few minutes each time, so i was Starstruck a little bit I was also trying to remember the show so i could report back here. We mostly discussed the events of that night plus Glenn's new bass. As far as i can recall it was just "nothing to report yet". You know how these things are - promoters, dates both available, venues available, Sabbath commitments etc etc. plus Glenn is also busy with yet another solo album.

However, im sure Glenn wont mind me revealing he isnt keen on Cadbury's Fruit and Nut Chocolate bar!

Im sure David will be the first to let us know what is going to happen. The demand for tickets in this country would certainly be there

Old Oct-16-2005, 11:16 AM

Austria

Thumbs up

Great review, Wolfy!
Just out of curiousity - did Glenn actually let you play the bass guitar, or was it just "looking at it"?

Cheers,
Chris

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Oct-17-2005, 5:10 AM

UK

No Chris. It was in its case but he got it out to show me and asked me to take a couple of pics to post on here.

Old Oct-18-2005, 3:04 PM

USA

cool

i understand wolfy- i dont know if i would even be able to speak - i showed my wife chads answer to you before you went and then your pics -what a great time it must have been for you!!!!!!!!
Old Oct-22-2005, 5:58 AM

UK

I've a lot to catch up on with being away from the boards for a few weeks and I've had problems this morning with two posts being submitted - when I go to 'submit' they've disappeared. I've not the patience to re-write, but I would like to thank Wolfy for his review and pics/links. I really felt as if I was there. Great that all your years' devotion as a GHCP paid off for you

Whether it was being away from home for a few days or the fact that I was again blown away after seeing Glenn in Barcelona, I did what I should have done some time ago ... I walked from my job. I now have a much less stressful job and life is good again

Chad's drumming has to be seen to be believed. Burn was amazing. He was amazing. Our brothers are a match made in rock heaven and I can't wait to see you perform together again.

PS A massive hug to Ethan

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
2003, album, bass, Chad Smith, Coast to Coast, David, events, GHCP, glenn, guitar, Matt Goom, Pix, Shirean, solo, solo album, soul mover, tour, track