g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Polls & Questions? Here you can post polls for everyone to participate in or if you have general questions, this is the place to ask them!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep-10-2005, 2:38 PM

USA

Icon33 Glenn Hughes FAN FEST - input?

Hey folks, this is Todd. I'm here in Phoenix visiting with Chip, and we've been tossing ideas around for a Glenn Hughes fan fest. It's been talked about periodically, but we think it's time to make it a reality! And we'd like your input.

The fan fest would be a day-long event which would allow all of us - or as many of us as can come - to get together and share our love of Glenn's music. There'll be food, drink, cool tunes and some special surprises.

So we need to ask you...are you interested? What kind of notice would you need? Would May or June of 2006 work well? If not, what month would work better?

So there you go - the ball is in play, now we just need to iron out some details before we can get down to the nitty gritty and put this thing together!

Cheers...Todd and Chip
Old Sep-10-2005, 3:27 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,492 Posts
June sounds best - as for the location, it has to be Vegas! Cheap and easy to get to for most everyone, plus of course, aside from you Todd, one of his biggest supporters is held up at the Hard Rock
Old Sep-10-2005, 4:39 PM

USA

Icon24 Bring It On

BRING IT ON!!!!

Never been to Vegas
June is a good month to get time off
Miss all fellow GH'ers
Hard Rock Hotel and hanging with great supporter would be awesome
Miss great supporter too
"Special" events would be most welcome
Miss "special event" hosts as well
Kenny says any time to not work is a great time

Let us know, we'll be there
Old Sep-10-2005, 9:48 PM

USA

Sounds great to me guys- June would work best for me also. Vegas? Haven't been there since I was 18! (Long long time...) Count me in- Try to get Glenn to co-inside a tour date in Vegas....there ain't nothin' like the real thing!

Mark
Old Sep-11-2005, 2:50 AM

USA

Sounds good to me too!
Old Sep-11-2005, 2:57 AM

USA

Icon33

Hi all...Todd and Chip here again. Perhaps we left out a few particulars in our original post. We're not talking about an event on a scale of something to be held at a venue like the Hard Rock - although that would be cool too. We're talking about a fan/friend gathering along the lines of a GH-related BBQ at Chip's house here in Phoenix - poolside, with the GH jukebox playing a selection of fan faves and rarities, door prizes, imported spirits, a Trapezeum, etc.

Thoughts?

Cheers..Todd
Old Sep-11-2005, 3:27 AM
schreinermusic

Great idea

Hi Folks,

superb idea!!!!

It was about time to bring up such an idea!! We could make such an event quite regulary, in my opinion. Since it would probably be in June 2006 it is good for us "euros" to look out for cheap flight such a long time in advance, which would make it much more cheaper to get a good flight to Vegas. I have never been there before. I could bring my mates Pete Stanford and Chris Loeb with me. That would be very nice to meet all of you people at one place. David, Shirean and Fedor could also maybe tell Glenn and/or Jocke about the idea, maybe theys could plan their schedule in a way that they could join our meeting!!! That would be wonderful!!!! (What about a small GHCP concert in a way that the we could play along with Glenn some of our favourites??????????) Okay...I already start dreaming....sorry ...hahaha

Anyway....I will be with you, no matter what the meeting will be!!!

Im looking forward to it! Thanks for this nice idea, Todd and Chip!

We will keep this idea alive, won´t we?

Have a great weekend all,

Achim

www.schreinermusic.com
Old Sep-11-2005, 6:23 AM

USA

Dream BIG
Old Sep-11-2005, 8:16 AM

USA

cool

todd chip anywhich way it sounds good guys just let us know
Old Sep-11-2005, 2:10 PM

Austria

Coincidentially I have been thinking about an event like this only recently...

- an organised GHCP Convention came to my mind.
- a whole weekend either in the US (Vegas would be perfect, I have never been in the States at all!) or UK with Live Music, Pub Quiz, Karaoke, etc etc etc.

I'd be there, no matter what!

Cheers,
Christian
Old Sep-11-2005, 3:34 PM

zUKUSA

Talking Pass

Originally Posted by chrisloeb
Karaoke, etc etc etc.

Whoa, let's not go too far
Old Sep-11-2005, 3:42 PM

USA

Icon33

Yeah, ease up on the karaoke talk Let's leave the singing to those who do it for a living, lol.

With regard to Vegas, that would basically negate most of what Chip and I have in mind. Even living in Vegas, I'm more for a gathering in Phoenix. A BBQ weekend with a bunch of GH fans/friends would be within reason, very social and a lot of fun. To try to put together a Kiss Convention-style gathering of GH fans, or a Glenn-oriented show like the annual Bolin Fest, would be more daunting, and not really the point we were trying to make.

We'll be able to offer a list of local attractions, shopping, events, etc. for those who would want to take in more of the city. There are the Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team, Alice Cooperstown, the old western shopping district in Cave Creek...and more cactus than you've seen in your life - straight out of those Warner Brothers cartoons we all used to watch when we were kids! LOL

Cheers...Todd
Old Sep-11-2005, 4:11 PM

zUKUSA

I was just thinking we could rent a lounge for the night, hopefully with a reasonable rate what with our connection in town and if we're really lucky, maybe even free!! That way, the stereo is good, probably TV monitors for video etc - a GHCP's only, type deal. Granted that would still cost $$, but was just thinking that Vegas is usually easier to travel too and low on the $$ and might entice someothers from far and wide, especially if their other-halfs aren't that keen, as the town as plenty to keep them entertained - but it's your guys deal, so whatever you want to do, works for me at least.
Old Sep-11-2005, 4:41 PM

USA

Icon33

Hmm, this really would be a GHCP BBQ. Y'know, like a Glenn Hughes version of Memorial Day weekend. Maybe this GHCP weekend in Phoenix will end up being our wives, me, Chip and his GHCPooch Chuy, lol.

As for something on a larger scale involving a venue, etc. I'd be happy to play more of an informational/support role to anyone who wants to spearhead something like that instead.

Thoughts? Chip?

Cheers...Todd
Old Sep-12-2005, 2:44 AM

USA

A GHCP invasion of Chip's place.....Arizona will never be the same LOL! Sounds like fun tho!
Old Sep-12-2005, 8:24 AM

USA

Icon49

This would be "The Living Room Tour" at it's ultimate!

*A "tent city" in the Charlton back yard?

*Dynamite-infused barbecue from "Chef" Charlton?

*Phoenix, Arizona, over-run by GHCPs?

*Guided tours of the Charlton "Glenn Hughes Shrine Room?"

*Free photographs with the official GHC Pooch - Chuy, the evil chuhuahua?

*Gang sing-along of "You Keep On Moving" so that Glenn
could lie, and say: "Hey, you sound great?"

*Get the man talking, so that stories could be secretly recorded,
and we would have the beginning of the GH autobiography?

*An opportunity to GENTLY PERSUADE Glenn to have a US Tour?

Let me think about it..........

Grace
Old Sep-12-2005, 8:36 AM

USA

OHHHHHHH...I'll be there

Late June I hope! I'll be there....I used to visit Arizona so often it almost felt as if I lived there...but it's been a while....and to visit with GHCP too!!!!!!! Can't pass this up!!!!!!!!

musicnracin's Sig:mount the handlebars on the headboard and ride baby ride!
Old Sep-12-2005, 11:04 AM

USA

Cool

Hey Chip,

Oh man..I would be all over that idea like white on rice!!

I guess the biggest thing is to plan it far enough in advance so that folks could work out travel arrangements/ time off and other details. But what a killer grass roots event that would be....I have said this before but it bears repeating; the best part about these get togethers is meeting all the folks from around the world and around the block who are fellow GHCP's!!

And any excuse to get out of the sticks is a great one!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Sep-12-2005, 2:36 PM

UK

That sounds a really great idea. I'd love to come over for something like that. Better start saving right now
Old Sep-12-2005, 4:34 PM

USA

Icon33

For those who are wondering, the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport is just as big as the airport in Vegas - probably bigger than Vegas, actually. It should be a breeze getting into Phoenix.

After the Christmas holiday, we'll solidify a date and put together a list of hotels in the area, local attractions, and all the particulars for our small-but-mighty pow wow.

Cheers...Todd
Old Sep-12-2005, 6:39 PM

USA

I guess another way of describing what Todd and I were thinking about when discussing this, would be like a your normal kind of 'family reunion' type thing. Although thinking back on a few of my family reunions, I probably wouldn't go either. Of course this one would be more fun!!

That's why we put out the feeler to see if anyone would want to give up a couple days of vacation and attend a laid back affair like this.
Don't be shy...tell us what you really think. I know it would be 'chrome plated cool', as Bill would say, to have a really big event, but that's not what we we're thinking of......at least not yet!!

Anyway....I think most of you have mine and/or Todd's private email to get in touch with us. If not, I know mine is in my profile, or pm us. Don't want to take up too much bandwith with this subject, or we'll have to charge admission and sent the money to David and Shirean for more web space.

By the way...Keith T....if you come over, bring me some more HP Sauce, I'm running low.

Chip

PS - Damnit Todd!! Thanks for screwing up my computer, I'm logging on as you!! You owe me a post credit . ............
Old Sep-12-2005, 7:37 PM

USA

Icon33

We're gonna have everybody screwed up - first I was posting under your sig, now you're posting under mine. At least I had a good excuse, though, when I made that first post - I was on your computer. You really should write your password down...

David, please email the poor guy and refresh his memory, lol.

Cheers...Todd

PS Thanks for pushing me past 400, ol' buddy!
Old Sep-13-2005, 8:43 AM

USA

Icon49

Hey Keith,
Save your money for this trip!

I can get HP sauce for Chip, from "the foreign food aisle"
at the Shop-Rite, in Dover, New Jersey.
(They also have the "Fruity" version of HP, too.)
Along with Heinz Baked Beans, Yorkshire Tea, HP Tea,
and at the very least.......everything Cadbury's.

PS.....When I was in Coventry, England a few years ago,
I went to the largest grocery store in the world, and went
down THEIR "foreign food aisle".......they had Nestle's Quik,
Kellog's Corn Flakes, and HELLMAN"S MAYONNAISE!!!!!!

Couldn't find any Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, though.
Old Sep-13-2005, 9:54 AM

USA

Icon24 The Papa G Funk Fest

Hmm..let's see. Todd is Chip and Chip is Todd and one must ponder the eternal mystery of life...

" Does the wise man walk to school....or does he carry his lunch?"

All levity aside, any sort of get-together would be CPC for the GHCP's

I have only driven through AZ and that was back in 1989 when I moved from San Antonio to San Francisco....a lovely drive it was at that!

Let's see what magic we all can work!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Sep-13-2005, 1:48 PM

USA

Icon33

For anyone wanting to lay their hands on English beer, Yorkie candy bars, pub beer mats or any number of other UK treats, head on over to Cost Plus. They've got a lotta sauces, sweets and stuff.

My favorite candy purchases in London were Blood Orange Kit Kat, Lime Kit Kat, Aero Caramel's, Yorkie's and Big Green Triangle's. And here's a chuckle for ya - while stopping at a mini-mart, my wife and I saw a bag of peanuts with a funny name, and we made a note to buy some before we left the city. On the day, we stopped into the store and looked for them. They weren't there. As I perused another aisle, I overheard my wife ask the clerk "Do you have Monkey Nuts?" The look on the clerk's face was hilarious. She didn't even realize how her question came across until I pointed it out to her after we left.

Cheers...Todd
Old Sep-13-2005, 4:10 PM

USA

Now that's funny!!! I can see and hear her in my mind, asking that question.........that's classic. I can't wait to ask her about that.

Chip
Old Sep-14-2005, 11:05 AM

USA

Icon49

Yo......folks,

Before we all start packing our suitcases and head out to the airport,
I think that we should get some input from a legendary vocalist/bass
player formerly of Deep Purple, as to suitability, location, or schedule
conflict. Maybe the last thing he wants to do is walk into a room full of........
.......Glenn Hughes Crazy People.

I know that....I....would be scared
Old Sep-14-2005, 12:50 PM

USA

Chip and Todd,
First, let me apologize to Chip for not getting in touch with him last week about Phoenix . I was only in town for about 36 of the originally planned 72 hours, and spent almost all of it in meetings. WHen i was finally done I remembered our earlier conversation and it made me feel real stoopid...sorry brother.
As for the "Glenn-Vention" you are discussing, I feel it is a great idea, and Phoenix is a great choice. As a matter of fact, my wife and I are moving that way (Albuquerque, NM) sometime in Spring 2006. Anyone who has not been to the Valley of the Sun is in for a treat.
I like your idea...informal and easily organized !! There has been a "Heepvention" for Uriah Heep fans every year and each year I wonder why the undertaking. They rent a place, have memorabilia, even a Heep Jam Band made of Heepsters from around the world and get together as a group for a weekend. Except for 2001 when UH actually showed up and played in a surprise appearance, it has become 40-50 people wearing cool shirts and getting hammered and eating wings. It is just a huge undertaking and could be best served with a simpler, BBQ atmosphere.
If we are moved by time you decide on dates, etc., I will fly over and give you a hand getting set up, so you can count those hands if I am already settled in ABQ.
Personally, I think August 22 (Glenn's Birthday) or thereabouts would be a good time and would have a tie-in. We could have a Happy Birthday Glenn celebration and sned him all our greetings at once...

Just a few thoughts.
Old Sep-14-2005, 12:53 PM

USA

Chip and Todd,
First, let me apologize to Chip for not getting in touch with him last week about Phoenix . I was only in town for about 36 of the originally planned 72 hours, and spent almost all of it in meetings. WHen i was finally done I remembered our earlier conversation and it made me feel real stoopid...sorry brother.
As for the "Glenn-Vention" you are discussing, I feel it is a great idea, and Phoenix is a great choice. As a matter of fact, my wife and I are moving that way (Albuquerque, NM) sometime in Spring 2006. Anyone who has not been to the Valley of the Sun is in for a treat.
I like your idea...informal and easily organized !! There has been a "Heepvention" for Uriah Heep fans every year and each year I wonder why the undertaking. They rent a place, have memorabilia, even a Heep Jam Band made of Heepsters from around the world and get together as a group for a weekend. Except for 2001 when UH actually showed up and played in a surprise appearance, it has become 40-50 people wearing cool shirts and getting hammered and eating wings. It is just a huge undertaking and could be best served with a simpler, BBQ atmosphere.
If we are moved by time you decide on dates, etc., I will fly over and give you a hand getting set up, so you can count those hands if I am already settled in ABQ.
Personally, I think August 22 (Glenn's Birthday) or thereabouts would be a good time and would have a tie-in. We could have a Happy Birthday Glenn celebration and send him all our greetings at once...

Just a few thoughts.
Old Sep-14-2005, 2:57 PM

USA

Actually Frank, August 21 is GH's B-day....no big deal one time I said Happy B-day Gh on August 14.

John

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Share Thread

Tags
1989, 1st, 2001, 2006, album, autobiography, bass, Coast to Coast, David, Deep Purple, events, Gabi, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, London, memorial, related, Shirean, shy, tour, Trapeze, uriah heep, Video