g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul-11-2005, 1:54 AM

Netherlands

Lightbulb Remasters / Reissues

With the last topic being the Brazen Abbot reissues I wanted to start this topic about remasters / reissues.

In my opinion it's unnecessary to pick up those Brazen Abbot reissues if you own the original releases.

But there are artists/record companies who do know how to bring interesting reissue albums to the market. For instance, last weekend I bought all Bruce Dickinson solo albums reissues. All (but one) are double cd's with the second cd being all bonus tracks. The live cd is a triple cd. They are coming in a slipcase with a great booklet with good info and rare pics. I bought these for EUR 15 each! (USD 18.00) Thats what I call a "reissue" worth buying. Same goes for those Uriah Heep reissues. I can recommend those to anyone!

Anyone here got a good example which remasters/reissues are worth buying when you already own the original?
Old Jul-11-2005, 5:04 AM

UK

The Talisman reissues are great because I got into Jeff Scott Soto's stuff too late to find all the originals. Thankfully, the reissues arrived and all of those are double CD's, with the second disk being demo's, live outtakes, all kinds of stuff, plus some great sleevenotes with the benefit of hindsight!

I think the Deep Purple ones are generally crap. My brother bought the Machine Head double disk one with the Roger Glover remixes. The songs sounded fine to me originally and it's a classic album, so why screw around with it? And even when he did the rem,ixes hardly sounded any different.

As for remastering, I think the Kiss Remasters do sound a good deal better than the original CD's, and I eagerly await the long overdue Tommy Bolin ones!

JG

James Gaden's Sig:"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

www.solitaryvision.co.uk www.jamesgaden.co.uk www.myspace.com/jamesgaden
Old Jul-11-2005, 2:22 PM

USA

I think the Purple remasters are pretty good. By far, though, the "In Rock" remaster is the best as far as being a noticable improvement in the mix and overall sound. The other ones sounded pretty good already, but "In Rock" really needed improvement.
Old Jul-11-2005, 9:11 PM

USA

Nektar has reissued most of their back catalogue, and they are excellent. Live tracks, unreleased materials and, in the case of "Live in New York", superb sound.
As for the Uriah Heep reissues mentioned...absolutely right, they are 'must-haves'.
Old Jul-12-2005, 1:35 AM

Finland

Icon37 Free reissues

Hello!
I wasn't that big Paul Rodgers or Free fan before purchasing their reissues. I think those are done really well. They have informative booklets and all needed extra songs, singles etc...and those don't cost you a fortune...

T

btw. Fused was released today!!!
Old Jul-12-2005, 1:48 AM

USA

Machine Remaster, not that good? Did I read that correctly?.... Everything Roger Glover has been involved with has been superb and the Machine Head remaster is genius (even better than In Rock and Fireball, which are great too). You have the originals songs one disc, so no complaints about tampering and the 2nd disc has the remixes, which is almost every case is actually better than the original. The solo on Smoke is awesome, new solo here and there.... It is WAY better than the Burn remaster, which really doesn't have much in terms of anything new, but the sound is a bit of an improvement. Go throw on the the original Warner Bros. Machine Head CD and then compare the 25th Anniversary, and then we'll talk.

Fbelt39867's Sig:Frank B.
Old Jul-12-2005, 7:26 AM

Netherlands

James: Cool news about the talisman reissues. I'm a huge fan of them too and already have the original releases. But since the reissues are double cds with a decent price I'm going to look for them.

One word on the purple remasters: TERRIFIC

KISS remasters: They'll probably better souding but these are the worst remasters I ever saw. Sorry KISS but this seems another cash in.
Old Jul-12-2005, 11:28 AM

UK

James, Ive got to disagree about Machine Head. The remixes make a massive difference. Hearing the band crank up at the start of Highway Star or just the way Space Truckin jumps out the speakers at you. Dont think we should have had the different solo for Smoke tho. RB was pretty upset about that.

Reissues ive enjoyed the most have been by Nazareth. Loads of bonus material on every single cd - and cheap to buy as well.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
25th, album, albums, Deep Purple, solo, tommy bolin, uriah heep