g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-27-2005, 3:59 PM

USA

Thumbs up Review Whitesnake 26 June: Brilliant!

Wow....the first chance ever in the US (for me anyway) to see Whitesnake in a small venue, in Hollywood at the House of Blues. I was completely blown away. DC was in amazingly fine voice....no problems whatsover...He screamed from the beginning to end with no problems...and hit some great full voice notes as well. I wasn't sure how it would sound as I though the July 2003 show at the Uni Amph was the poorer of the 3 shows I saw....This was so much better than that and the other shows I saw that year. It was worth it just to hear the great version of Burn, this time with Reb Beach doing the Glenn bits...great singing from Reb...and so fantastic to hear DC do this and sounding great. The only thing, Stormbringer was too short, a verse and chorus. A varied setlist also which saw three old pre 84 numbers and one Coverdale Page number (Boys are Feeling Hot Tonight) in the set. A couple of songs I wasn't familiar with as I am still waiting for the 78-81 output to be remastered. Ready and Willing was one of them I've figured out and another up tempo one with the words "Take me with you I'll give you everything a woman needs" which was paired up with Boys are Feeling Hot Tonight. It was a great night...the only minor disappointment was Uriah Duffy lacks the stage presence and vocals of Marco Mendoza, but is a solid great player. Funny, he doesn't look much different from Mendoza, must be either american indian or have latin blood. Because there wasn't room on the stage, DC didn't do any micstand twirling. A great show, I'm glad I went, this is definitely the best I've heard DC sound since he started up Whitesnake in 2003, he's still one of the best front men in rock...utterly brilliant David!!!!

Setlist partially in order:

Burn/Stormbringer
Bad Boys,
Ready and Willing
Love Aint No Stranger
Aint No Love In the Heart of the City
Judgement Day
Slow and Easy
Crying In the Rain
Is This Love
Slide It In
Here I go Again
All Your Love Tonight
Boys Are Feeling Hot/Old Song I don't know
Still of the Night

John

PS: After a night like this...and as good as DC is right now we know GH is even better, I feel even more frustrated that there have been no GH Soul Mover shows in a venue like this (other than the drumoff). The Iommi thing will be cool, but won't be the rock,funk and soul fest that is a GH solo show, but at least we'll finally get some US shows.

Old Jun-27-2005, 4:04 PM

Netherlands

Thanks for the cool review!!

I also noticed David all of a sudden has a btter voice than the last couple of years.
Old Jun-27-2005, 11:07 PM

Sweden

Even though I agree DC is probably one of the best frontmen in rock I find his lack of new output disappointing, and there's only so many years he's going to be able to tour those same old songs until people start to lose interest. Glenn keeps me excited since he's such a prolific songwriter with new albums coming out quite often. Even more interesting now that he's starting to build his live sets around them.

Still I would have liked to have seen that HOB show.

Daniel
Old Jun-28-2005, 1:24 AM

Finland

Icon37 Feeling Hot...

Hi,
good to read a review of new Whitesnake show - thanks John!
That raised also a couple of questions...- of course...

Why on earth DC chose to sing - of the all awful Coverdale/Page songs the most awful one - Feeling Hot? That I can't understand!

And where is Mistreated he promised to do for next live album?

Anyway - it is nice to know that old Whiteteeth is still alive and kicking - if not ass - but butt...

T
Old Jun-28-2005, 1:32 AM

USA

I agree, the lack of new album out put is very disappointing, especially since I'm sure both Reb and Doug can write up a storm. And DC has stated he is writing all the time. But from recent interviews, it seems like he want's it to be 1984-88 again with million dollar offers coming his way. And he's said there might be a few new songs tacked onto a live album. Well I can't stand live/greatest hits packages with two or three token new songs, and I will never buy any of these from anybody. The setlist could be a bit better but it's getting better all the time.

John
Old Jun-28-2005, 5:29 AM

UK

John I'm glad you enjoyed the show. Those two tracks you couldn't place I think were Ready and Willing (as you guessed) which was an early toon from the Lord,Paice,Marsden,Murray, Moody line up.Take Me With You was from the same era. I don't think you mentioned Still of the Night. Was it performed and did the current band do it justice?

I know what you mean about witnessing what Glenn does naturally. But my own guess is that the live shows with Tony Iommi will be stunning. For my money, it is difficult to imagine a set where Glenn does not stamp his own distinctive personality on the proceedings.
Old Jun-28-2005, 10:34 AM

Netherlands

Originally Posted by JohnH
I .... it seems like he want's it to be 1984-88 again with million dollar offers coming his way....

I agree with you John. It seems David Coverdale wants to have a pretty boy version of Whitesnake again, just like 88-91. This was confirmed when he announced their latest pretty boy, Uriah Duffy.

This ain't my Whitesnake if you ask me....

But then again its better than nothing.....
Old Jun-28-2005, 3:22 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Arjen
I agree with you John. It seems David Coverdale wants to have a pretty boy version of Whitesnake again, just like 88-91. This was confirmed when he announced their latest pretty boy, Uriah Duffy.

This ain't my Whitesnake if you ask me....

But then again its better than nothing.....

Well actually what I meant was: He wants the music business to be 1988 again....multi platinum metal acts on major labels, touring arenas, etc.... It's just never going to happen, I can't understand why he can't just sign up with SPV or Frontiers like everybody else and get on with it! I did list Still of The Night, it has been the last song of the set the past few years and still is...It was extremely impressive. DC does do some cheats like not singing some vocal lines and letting his band sing most of the choruses, but this seems to save his voice so he can scream through out the whole set. I don't think you'll see him belting out full voice exhaustion numbers like Slip of the Tongue these days, but I did hear him hit some good high notes. He still has enough to pull it off. It's great!

John
Old Jun-28-2005, 5:29 PM

USA

Icon33

This is kind of funny...

I drove my truck to the shop today to have my brakes looked at, and picked up my wife's car for the time being. I didn't like the pop station the radio was set to, so I changed it to KOMP, the rock station. I didn't end up listening to the radio though, because I had a John Norum cassette with me. Later in the day, when I went back to pick up my truck, I dropped off my wife's car. When she got off work, she got in the car just in time to catch a ticket giveaway on KOMP, called in and won us a pair of tickets to see Whitesnake at the House of Blues this Friday! Funny how things work out like that!

Cheers...Todd
Old Jun-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Sweden

I agree DC's voice is better than it has been in a couple of years, but I still believe it's radically inferior compared to what he sounded like on the early WS records -> Slide it in for instance. He had a thicker voice, more control and he simply sounded better back then. Do you know what kind of tonal difference I'm hinting at?

Daniel
Old Jun-29-2005, 2:49 PM

USA

Originally Posted by danielb
I agree DC's voice is better than it has been in a couple of years, but I still believe it's radically inferior compared to what he sounded like on the early WS records -> Slide it in for instance. He had a thicker voice, more control and he simply sounded better back then. Do you know what kind of tonal difference I'm hinting at?

Daniel

Yes I think we discussed this before. It's true. And I want to make it clear his voice certainly isn't at 1984 levels...but better than those horrible 97 shows. Quitting smoking makes a huge difference.

John
Old Jun-29-2005, 11:05 PM

Sweden

I keep saying that a DC with a full voice intact fronting that band would be THE best thing out there. However, as it is now, it's quite a distracting factor for me.

Daniel
Old Jun-30-2005, 7:57 AM

USA

Icon49

I'm so happy to hear that DC's voice has improved so much.

The sound of his voice from his concert in Russia (1997)
was heart-breaking......and STILL he chose to sing mostly
"screaming" Whitesnake songs.

Only when he sang "Soldier of Fortune" (acappella) did you
get a glimpse of what used to be...............

One step close to GH and DC together again!

~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old Jul-01-2005, 11:22 PM

USA

Icon33

WOW - just got home from Whitesnake. John was right on the money! David Coverdale looked and sounded phenomenal! His voice was strong, he breezed through some amazing screams and the band was sounding great. Super greatest-hits set, with some nice surprises thrown in. I know you would have loved this show! Opened with Burn, Stormbringer, six songs off the 1987 album, 3 off of Slide It In and some golden oldies. The House of Blues was packed, the crowd was shouting along and I smell like I spent the night in a chimney, LOL.

Cheers...Todd
Old Jul-02-2005, 7:04 AM

USA

Sounds like this is a "must-see" show based on the reviews here. We have two shows in our "area" for August, and I am torn between which one to go to see. Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater has incredible acoustics and sight lines (it is made for the Pavarotti's of the world), but you have to, get this, remain seated during the performance. The band is also at the House of Blues in Orlando, which is about 100 mile of driving. The sound will be weaker, but you can actually enjoy the music. There is no way to make both shows with ticket costs and hotel prices, so I have a choice to make...sound or fun...any recs?
Old Jul-09-2005, 1:30 PM

USA

Good to hear he has his voice back.....I never understood how a singer could smoke or snort blow give a 110% performance.I know when i drink bourbon,chain smoke and snort rails into the wee hours my voice is racked for a couple days.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1978, 1980, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1997, 2000, 2003, album, albums, David, glenn, Glenn Hughes, solo, solo album, soul mover, tour