g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-01-2005, 1:52 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,379 Times in 2,488 Posts
Icon47 Fused - Reviews

"FUSED"
TONY IOMMI with GLENN HUGHES

Release Date: July 12th, 2005 [Worldwide]
Label: Sanctuary Records
Catalogue No.: SANCD372

Where to start The new album from Tony Iommi featuring GLENN on Vocals & Bass, along with Kenny Aronoff pounding the skins, and Bob Marlette featured on keys (also Executive Producer), is everything Glenn promised it would be and then some!!

It's HUGE and I've never felt Glenn's bass shake my bones as hard as on these 10 brand new songs! I can only imagine what it's going to be like when they bring this to us all live on stage....hopefully not too long from now!

Dopamine (4:09), the opening track kicks things off with Glenn in full metal bass mode with Aronoff laying down the crashing beat which will follow us throughout the entire album. A wonderful rockin' chorus makes this song standout and was a good choice to begin the onslaught! Tony's solo is brief but deafening, and it sets you up nicely for what's about to follow!!

Next up is one of my favourites, Wasted Again (3:56) - Glenn's vocals are right up my street on this song ("how does it feel" and the perfect screams in all the right places)! A heavy chorus takes us to Iommi, who kicks in with a short, but classic fretwork display, reminiscent of something that might be found on Technical Ecstasy. Perfection - can't wait to hear this one live. Maybe this should even be the opener onstage?

Saviour Of The Real (4:08) starts with some more of those thumping bass lines from Glenn that I eluded to at the beginning of this review, with Kenny Aronoff pounding hard right along side! Tony's riffing is ever present, while Glenn takes charge with another monster vocal delivery. There's a great lyrical passage that proceeds the chorus, that only Glenn can deliver. Tony's solo starts layered over Glenn's vocal wizardary which works really well. Can it get any better I ask myself....you better read on to find out

Resolution Song (4:56) fades right in and has a wonderfully rymthmic vocal from Glenn that leads us right into the thunderous chorus. Again Glenn shines on this song, there's even a nod and a wink to Ozzy passing through the delivery of the chorus! Tony gives us a quick shot of his trademark solo work as the song comes to a conclusion. This is another I'd like to hear live.

Grace (5:14) - not a person but a state of mind....has the heaviest intro yet, but quickly changes pace into a lyric that Glenn carries off as only he can. The duo of Hughes/Aronoff is taken to the next level on this song, there's no words to describe it, other than thunderous - they've out done themselves on this one! Iommi quickly changes the pace with an onslaught of Metallica-style rhythm and metal guitar prowess, closing with a trademark solo, I hope we have the chance to hear live.

Deep Inside A Shell (3:43) - a not often heard vocal for Glenn on this one, with the chorus almost Oasis in places - I like it, but might surprise some. Both acoustic and electric guitar are present here and works well. There's a nice laid back (for Iommi) guitar solo that kicks-in midway, that then carries the song to the chorus and out.

What You're Living For (4:38) - absolutely love this one, with classic 80's NWOBHM riffs kicking it off, we're soon hearing an opening guitar break, followed by the introductory 100-mph vocal! This is similar in vein to what might be found on the last Voodoo Hill album, but it's taken to the next level by the pumping vocals, Aronoff's thumping powerhouse drum work and huge chorus. Tony really makes his mark on this with a brief, but effective, trademark classic metal guitar solo and so it's a must play in the live set. Headbangers rejoice!

Face Your Fear (4:36), if this one doesn't make it live, knock me down with a feather Another sonic laden vocal from Glenn and the chorus has "hit" written all over it - this is another of my personal favourites. If radio doesn't pick this one up, I'll be very surprised. (Well, not really, you know how they are)! Lovin' this one!!

The Spell (4:58) - whoa, now this is HEAVY! I've never heard Glenn in this light before, again it's got to be played live! Things slow for the initial lyrical passages, but soon pick up steam for yet another classic riffing vocal delivery. Some might say it's a 'kinda run-of-the mill outing, but for me, this is the sort of song that pushes all the right buttons! Great delivery from all.

I Go Insane (9:14) - the crème de la crème - what can you say, this is IOMMI/HUGHES at their absolute best. I would like it to have carried on for an extra few minutes, as I felt Tony's guitar solo was cut short a little or at the very least, would of enjoyed more of an extended outing - but clocking in at 9+ minutes, it's one of the best songs they have ever worked on together. Oh yes, and of course, I demand it's played live!! Starts slow, builds, peaks with soaring guitar and is rounded out with another pounding vocal, then another final twist and turn takes the song to it's conclusion with subtle outro keyboards.

So in summary, an absolute classic! But be sure to turn the volume knob to 10. Very different from the The 1996 DEP Sessions, and as much as it might sound more like Iommi than Hughes material, Glenn stamps his mark all over it - from the lyrics & vocals to the unusually HEAVY bass work. Another standout, is Kenny Aronoff on drums, I was pleasantly surprised how he kept up with the other two masters! Special mention to Bob Marlette, although the keyboards are not present that often, where they are used, they're very effective, especially on I Go Insane.

In closing, I really hope they can find room for at least Wasted Again, Saviour Of The Real, Resolution Song, Grace, What Your're Living For, Face Your Fear, The Spell and I Go Insane in the live set, with perhaps 3 or 4 from Seventh Star and The 1996 DEP Sessions. They've said they'd like to play for 2 hours, so that should be enough time, don't you think But I do think it would be mistake to play Sabbath/Purple material - people attending these shows will know Glenn & Tony's past collaborations, so I would highly recommend they focus on only the material they have worked on together. We can see them solo for anything else....right?! Anyway, thats just my 2 cents!!

A classic album - 5 stars, 10 out of 10, numero uno - GET IT
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-01-2005, 5:56 PM

USA

Sounds good David. I can't wait to hear it

Chip
Old Jun-02-2005, 1:32 AM

USA

Thumbs up Tony Iommi "Fused" new album

Here's another review.....

Quote:
Tony Iommi, the legendary Black Sabbath guitarist, will release his new album, "Fused", on July 12, 2005, via Sanctuary Records. This will be Iommi's third solo album.

Joining Iommi on "Fused" is former Deep Purple vocalist/bass guitarist Glenn Hughes and former John Mellencamp drummer Kenny Aronoff, who has also played sessions with the likes of The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, Lynyrd Skynyrd and countless others. The trio will hit the road to promote "Fused" later this year after Black Sabbath finishes headlining the 10th anniversary Ozzfest tour.

The 10 songs on "Fused" are as follows:

1. Dopamine
2. Wasted Again
3. Saviour Of The Real
4. Resolution Song
5. Grace
6. Deep Inside A Shell
7. What You’re Living For
8. Face Your Fear
9. The Spell
10. I Go Insane

Iommi has worked with both Hughes and Aronoff in the past. Hughes is a longtime friend who sang on the 1986 Black Sabbath Featuring Tony Iommi album "Seventh Star". In 2004, previously unreleased songs they had collaborated on eight years earlier were completed and released by Sanctuary as "The 1996 DEP Sessions". Aronoff played drums on the song "Black Oblivion" on Iommi's self-titled 2000 solo album, which was loaded with all-star guest appearances. "Fused" was produced by Bob Marlette, who also manned the studio boards for Iommi.

"I put some ideas for four or five tracks down about three years ago, but I hadn't written them specifically with Glenn in mind," Tony Iommi says. "After 'The 1996 DEP Sessions' was finished last year, I said to my manager that I should try Glenn on my solo album. Glenn came over to England and we did a trial run writing more material and it was unbelievable. His enthusiasm is amazing. He is so full of energy and great song ideas."

"The ideal thing for me is to work with collaborators. I can come in with riffs until the cows come home, and I do that all the time. I like to do it that way and then build the song with somebody else."

Tony Iommi and Glenn Hughes tend to write quickly when they settle in. Once the basic song ideas were written for this new album, Glenn Hughes worked on overall melodies and lyrics. The songs were in place, but a drummer was needed to tie it all together. Iommi was eager to work with Aronoff again and had him in mind from the beginning. The highly respected skins-basher was thrilled about the invitation, especially when Iommi said he wanted to tour to promote "Fused".

"I definitely knew that for my next album I wasn't going to use a lot special guests again. I wanted to use just one singer, and I also wanted it to be more like a band this time. The idea was to go into the studio with Glenn and Kenny play everything live. It was great. I really enjoyed doing it that way," says Tony Iommi. "That was the original way you used to record, and that was the only way I knew how to record for a long time. Only a few years ago did I start recording the other way, by building up and layering tracks. By playing live in the studio, you can hear exactly how the songs are going to sound and whether they work."

These new songs most definitely work, and they rage with the same fire and intensity that mark Iommi's best. There is nothing quite like the sound of a power trio, because there can be no weak links — each musician's efforts stand out. There is no place to hide. Iommi, Hughes and Aronoff feed off each other, whether it's the concise punch of "Dopamine" and "What You're Living For" or the fluid twists and turns in the nine-minute epic "I Go Insane".

Tony Iommi's lethal guitar crunch leads the charge. Hughes truly pushes himself to the edge and adjusts his voice to fit the overall direction of each song while simultaneously propelling the rhythm with his pounding bass guitar. The volcanic thunder Aronoff unleashes from his drums sounds like nothing he has done before. Marlette's sparkling, crisp production results in a hard-hitting, modern, in-your-face sound.

"Bob is a fantastic producer. He also played a few keyboard parts on this album because he wanted to get his hands in there!" laughs Tony Iommi.

Bob Marlette's major role as the producer was to provide that extra, objective pair of ears and determine when a song was finished. He also judged Iommi's solos and usually found what he looking for after four or five takes. However, Iommi often wanted to lay down more solos with the purpose of topping himself with each pass.

"I tend to keep trying solos until I get to where I say, 'Oh yeah, I really like that one.' It's not often I say that, but you're always trying to get that one you're happy with," he says. "Sometimes it is difficult working with a producer when you have been a producer yourself, but it's good to compare ideas. To get the best end result you do whatever it takes."

Tony Iommi's excitement about "Fused" is at a fever pitch and he cannot wait to tour with Hughes and Aronoff.

"In addition to playing material from this album, we'll probably do a couple of tracks from 'The 1996 DEP Sessions' and a few Black Sabbath songs too," he says.

http://noted.blogs.com/westcoastmusic/2005/05/tony_iommi_fuse.html
Old Jun-02-2005, 7:08 AM

USA

Icon49

Billy Joel: "I'm in a New York State of Mind."

GH and Tony Iommi: "I'm in a Grace State of Mind."

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!!!
Old Jun-03-2005, 3:27 AM

UK

Fused - "so-so"

Hi everybody

Just finished listening to Fused and I must say I'm a bit dissapointed after the first listening. There are some very good moments on it , oh yes, there are, but to me the songs lack good melodic and thus more catchy and recognizable riffs.

The overall sounding quality is very good, indeed. Unfotunately the songs lack the sparkle. The 1996 DEP Sessions stays longer in your mind. However, it's still the first listening.

My grade, as for now is: 3 of 5 points (and nor more!)
Old Jun-03-2005, 3:43 AM

UK

Thank you David and Shirean for that excellent preview. I feel like 14 again waiting for the next Purple, Zep or Sabs album to be released! Judging from the brief soundbytes it's going to be huge. I can''t see the rock press disagreeing with your 5 star reviews. If Classic Rock here in the UK give it less than 5 stars, I will publicly eat the magazine. (oh and David, please restore my edit if I need to change this bit. Knowing my luck, they will give it 4 and a half!)Tony is saving his best riffs for 30 thirty years for the man who can. I say amen to that!!!
Old Jun-03-2005, 4:41 AM

USA

Icon33

I am quite impressed with Fused, I have to say. Tony brings Glenn to the "Dark Side" with his huge riffs, but Glenn keeps the songs from sounding like Black Sabbath by injecting some soulful, spirited vocals. Not a funk moment in sight, but some very good heavy melodic rock. The last song will blow your socks off

Cheers...Todd
Old Jun-03-2005, 3:00 PM

USA

I don't think Fused is something I'm going to click with right away but it's going to be a grower....That epic long song sure seemed impressive though.

John
Old Jun-05-2005, 7:18 AM

UK

After 5 more listenings to FUSED I don't change my mind. The only highlight for me seems to be "I Go Insane", the last track on the album, a nice attempt to create a contemporary epic anthem. There's a lot going on in this 9-minute song. It starts with a beautiful guitar solo from Tony. It's a pity he loosed the grip later on.

What else... hm. This is probably the heaviest album Glenn has ever been involved in, so I guess it's going to be sth new for many of the fans. Still, I hope it won't push him away entirely from the more soulful/funk stuff he used to do.
Old Jun-05-2005, 8:49 AM

Netherlands

After listening to the clips, it seems Glenn is singing more with an English accent than he does on his solo albums.

Anyone else noticed any differences or is it just the crappy mp3 quality (56bit) ?
Old Jun-06-2005, 10:02 AM

USA

Fused review

I have listened to Fused a few times now and I have to agree with John H. It does not grab me and scream awesome from the first few listens. Dont get me wrong, I am enjoying it but I fear I may not listen to it long or refer back to it except for a song or too. I compare this to somewhere in between 7th Star and Dep Sessions.

Again, Glenn and Tony perform great but I'm not quite sure how this will stand up over the course of time in the body of work that Glenn has. Somewhere in the bottom half in my opinion.

I will listen to it. I will enjoy it. I will most likely forget it.

Maz
Old Jun-07-2005, 3:22 PM

Netherlands

I've listened now several times and every time it's getting better. I think that you have to be a Black Sabbath fan and in the second place a Glenn Hughes fan; that's the right combination, if you are a Glenn Hughes fan only it's too dark and too slow.

But I who am a huge Black Sabbath fan (since i am ten years old) and knew Glenn then only from the Purple days (till the seventh star off course) can only say that's it's great. It's a Iommi album with the greatest singer of all times

I will buy it at once on 12 july.
Old Jun-07-2005, 7:37 PM

Ireland

Thumbs up Another review...

Here's another one - can't wait, mine's now ordered, just counting the days Just a pity the reviewer didn't pay more attention to the song titles

"Tony Iommi and Glenn Hughes have quite a storied history together. Both hailing from the same area in England, Iommi and Hughes first collaborated together on the 1986 Black Sabbath album, Seventh Star, before reuniting in 1996 to work on some new tunes Iommi had penned. The project was ultimately shelved when Iommi reunited with his Sabbath pals, but it finally saw an official release in 2004, as The 1996 DEP Sessions. During the album's resurgence, the duo decided to work on a proper album together, which resulted in Fused a year later. Joined by session ace drummer Kenny Aronoff, Iommi and Hughes made a conscious decision to come up with a heavier, more riff-based album than DEP (which Iommi felt was more melodically-based). Well, the trio definitely accomplished their desired goal, as evidenced by such riff mongers as Dopamine, Wasted Again, and Face Your Fear. But surprisingly, the best tracks are the ones where a bit of melody slips in, especially Grace and Deep Inside His Shell. And like Sabbath's classic early albums, Fused ends on a truly epic note, with the near ten minute long Insane. Soulful vocals, heavy riffs, and mighty drumming — is Fused a sign that a new powerhouse trio had been born?"

4 out of 5 Stars

www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:qn0xlf0escqq
Old Jun-08-2005, 6:51 AM

UK

Quote:
I think that you have to be a Black Sabbath fan and in the second place a Glenn Hughes fan; that's the right combination, if you are a Glenn Hughes fan only it's too dark and too slow.

I think CD's got the point. I guess that's why I'm not that enthusiastic about Fused. There are some good moments there but Glenn doesn't belong to that dark and gruesome climate. I like him better in more light-hearted stuff.
Old Jun-08-2005, 4:46 PM

USA

you guys i love every song i have heard on this cd in my opinion mr hughes is once again displaying his musical genius with his ability to adapt to any situation -while i can understand the arguement that you have to like iommi"s playing ( which i think is a very separate style all his own) i feel that glenn takes this guitar style and brings it to a higher level and makes it his own i feel that this is a glenn hughes album with tony iommi playing the guitar and not the other way around - but not to knock iommi when i say this who i feel kicks ass in his own right
Old Jun-21-2005, 2:22 PM

USA

Fused: A Die-Hard Glenn Fan's Opinion

Well, this is a knee-jerk review, but having listened to Fused a couple of times now - courtesy of Best Buy's website - I have to say that, beyond "Dopamine", I'm pretty unimpressed. True, these are only low-fi .WMA files, but I don't think that sound quality is the issue here.

What I'm talking about is song quality, (a personal perception, I admit), and I pretty much don't like these songs. Period.

No, the songs aren't dreadful, but for me they're nothing special either. More Iommi then they are Hughes, these songs are mostly dark, brooding numbers with a very modern-sounding edge in spots that drone and plod along without much spark or vitality for the most part. Though the execution is brilliant, (indeed Tony, Glenn and Kenny put in performances that few others in this day and age could match), in the end I think that these songs fail to inspire me for pretty much the same reasons Grunge didn't either; they lack joy or vibrance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to death that Glenn is getting the opportunity to crack the U.S. market with a project of this stature, and I'll support his efforts here in the States with the purchase of this record, but this stuff just isn't for me, and in a year where we have seen Glenn finally find the perfect and commercially potent balance of rock, funk and soul in his own music via the exuberant Soul Mover, Fused simply falls flat for me in comparison.

And perhaps that's the truest key to my take on this album; it could be that the greatest failing of Fused is that it simply isn't as good as Soul Mover.

In any case, that Fused has begotten Glenn a solo deal with Sanctuary is just awesome, but I think that that solo deal is the real prize here. For my part, I hope that the next album of his own that Glenn brings to the table as a result of this wonderful and well-deserved boost in profile capitalizes more on Glenn's own sound and style then it does on this record's.

Bottom Line: I'll buy it, but I'll be quite surprised if I listen to it more than a few times before it gets shelved.

Old Jun-21-2005, 3:20 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,379 Times in 2,488 Posts
I don't look at these as two side-by-side Glenn records, as they're two completely different beasts - so I agree about Soul Mover - it's much more my cup of tea too vs. Fused.....but I think you should wait to get the disc in your hand and turned up as loud as you can to fully appreciate it. It's a grower, so 2, maybe 3 listens in and you'll "get it" a lot more....trust me
Old Jun-22-2005, 8:01 AM

USA

Could be. Some albums need to be properly heard before they can be appreciated, but I don't know...
Old Jun-23-2005, 3:10 AM

USA

Marc,

I remember when I heard those inital clips a couple of months ago, it seems the long song and Dopamine were the highlights and the rest was kind of Velvet Revolver/Audioslave ish modern and disappointing. But I will wait till I get it and play it ten times to make a final judgement, and I'm not listening to anymore previews full or otherwise. I'm like James Gaden also, I do like Soul Mover but it never made me fall in love like Sitkor, (even though SM is totally great...it's just me) which currently holds the record for the the most times I've ever played a CD without burning out. It think it was in my car ever week for more than a year.

John
Old Jun-23-2005, 8:01 AM

USA

Well, perhaps with "Fused", as you say, "it's just me". Who knows. I'll wait and see how I feel after I've heard the CD proper.

On a side note, I have to agree with you about SitKoR; that album had some real staying power with me too...

-Marc
Old Jun-24-2005, 9:03 AM

UK

I'm with you both to be honest. What I've heard so far has left me cold. As I explained in a pervious post, I like Iommi's fast riffing instead of the slow dirgy stuff, which is what most of this sounds like. I didn't care for the DEP sessions either with the exception of "Not The Same Man". I bought that and never play it and I predict "Fused" will be the same.

If Glenn ventures in this direction I prefer it with Dario Mollo who's songs have more variety. And I had "Soul Mover" on again yesterday and it grew on me a little more - I still hate "Orion" and JJ's "Little Miss Insane" solo though!

JG

James Gaden's Sig:"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

www.solitaryvision.co.ukwww.jamesgaden.co.ukwww.myspace.com/jamesgaden
Old Jul-09-2005, 3:30 AM

UK

Icon34 fused

just recieved ''fused'' in the post this morning.(good old play.com delivering early!!!).on first listen it didn,t grab me the same as ''soul mover''but i was not expecting the same cd with the riffmister tony involved!!.maybe it was something to do with trying to play it at a low volume at 8 o'clock in the morning!,trying to get my son dressed etc....etc...we,ve all been there i guess.

i have the house all to myself and i must say that with a bit of volume and i am on my 4th go i got to admit it has hooked me in !!!

glenn again shows his awesome talent for turning his hand to anything he touches and that guitarist iommi is not too bad either!!

not really got any favorites yet although ''what your living for''has stuck in my head so for.........a well time to go for another listen. to those who have not listened to it yet,give it a chance i am sure you,ll get into it.
Old Jul-09-2005, 11:52 PM

UK

Hi Y'all

Gotta say Fused did nt work for me, it sounded like hundreds of new metal bands.

The get the funk back campaign starts here - c'mon Glenn you know it makes sense.

Why disappear into the xrowd when you have always been so unique.

bring back da funk....bring back da funk....bring back da funk...
Old Jul-10-2005, 11:52 PM

UK

Chris

You are a funk brother after my own heart.

I have listened to Fused 4/5 times now, and i am struggling to differentiate between a lot of the songs.

Yes brutal chugging riffs.

But not enough differences between the pace of the songs. Too many, slow, thunderous, chugging riffs.

Performance wise it is examplary. Kenny Aaronoff is a revelation. And Glenn is sounding great vocally.

Out of the three Iommi collaborations, this is my least favourite.

Too far removed from my favourite Glenn style

Sorry!!!

Paul
Old Jul-11-2005, 5:10 AM

UK

Both of you guys echo my sentiments. I haven't got my copy of "Fused" yet, but I'm not going mental waiting for it like I do with other Glenn releases. I'm glad I previewed the tracks on the net this time because I've got an idea that I won't be thrilled with it. It may pleasantly surprise me, but I'm not putting money on it.

Seventh Star was a classic in my book, but I think the DEP sessions and what I've heard of "Fused" are mediocre at best. I appreciate it's style will probably garner it more recognition but I think it's a shame that Iommi has to play in a fashion he inspired rather than be his true self. Listen to his playing on the early Sabbath material through to "Heaven and Hell" and there's more variation there than most people credit him for. Not a nu-metal riff in sight, and that's why he's known as the Godfather of the genre. Too many nu-metal bands nowadays sound identical. There's very few that stand out with their own identity.

If that makes me sound like my parents I don't care

JG

Old Jul-11-2005, 11:06 PM

UK

I LOVE this album and I was surprised to see so many luke warm reactions on the forum but I guess life would be boring if we all held the same views!

To save repeating myself, I wrote the following letter to Classic Rock Magazine here in the UK, which basically sums up my feelings about it;

PERFECT FUSION!

Being a major Glenn Hughes follower, I've been anticipating the release of the new Iommi album since hearing their excellent DEP Sessions collaboration. However, I finished reading Geoff Barton's review of 'Fused' in the last issue of CR in a fit of despair. How could this be? Iommi and Hughes in 'average' rating scandal. It couldn't be! Thankfully, some hope was at hand after reading the interview feature and the comforting words of Philip Wilding.

Fused landed on the doormat this morning (the day of release). With great relief, I can say that Mr Wilding was in fact right on the nail and that Geoff Barton needs to book himself in urgently for an ear syringe! This album really cooks and the epic 'I Go Insane' is one of the best things I've heard in ages. No disrespect to Slash and his chums but if this track had appeared on the VR album, the kids would have really freaked. Think 'Falling Down' multiplied by 100 complete with bells and whistles.

Fused is testament to the fact that the pioneers can still do it better than anybody else. In recent times, its rare to hear something really exciting but these two gentleman have pooled their years of experience and come up with something for the new millennium that still manages to reflect the legacy and quality of yesteryear. I look forward immensely to the planned tour; having witnessed a couple of GH gigs recently, I'm confident that it will be nothing short of spectacular.

Iommi and Hughes, we salute you!

Keith Lambert.

zephead2112's Sig:"I think everybody wants to be a Freebird......" RVZ

www.simplyled.net
Old Jul-12-2005, 9:09 AM

Austria

I intentionally took the day off (really - besides I have more than 50 hours overtime.........) and just came home after picking up my copy of "Fused" at the local store -

- while the samples and wma files only gave a taster, the real thing really rocks!
I love this album!

These are my thoughts upon the first real listen-through:

Dopamine, sure. We know it's a great tune Not much to say about this one - the perfect opener.

But Wasted Again - this song is a killer tune. Totally Iommish riff and one of the best Glenn Hughes vocals I have ever heard really. And that's on the first serious listen in CD quality. Just listen what Big Daddy does around the 2 minutes mark and towards the end of the song

Bob Marlette's production is really excellent. On the spot, exactly what this music needs. His role as a musician on the album can be compared what Adam Wakeman (Rick's son, there's a connection ) does on stage with Black Sabbath. Deep frequency layers - even more power to the "bottom".
I like Kenny Aronoff's performance (on the spot, the true professional he is) much better than on DEP, where I thought Dave Holland's parts were better. I still totally understand though that they have been replaced.

Saviour of the Real - good, not outstanding, but good. As on the whole CD, excellent vocal and riffing.

Resolution Song has one of those deadly Iommi riffs in the bridge (before the chorus) that you just can't miss! Perfect example for how heavy "ballads" can be. Nice guitar solo, short but sweet, as you can expect!

And another heavy riff: Grace. I actually like the effect on the vocal. This is modernish Heavy Rock with a "Classic Rock" bridge and epic chorus. Acoustic guitars playing calm before the storm - a little too much reverb on the drums in the heavy part at 3'30''.

A very directly produced, british vocal opens Deep Inside A Shell. This is classic midtempo "Classic Rock". Good. Nice chorus.

What You're Living For - has anybody mentioned the similiarity to Danger Zone? Those two riffs are very much alike (the verse and choruses certainlly aren't). The rest of the song hasn't yet really grown on me.

Face Your Fear reminds me very much of the mood of the songs from DEP Sessions. Again, a very direct vocal production, great verse and bridge! Nice keyboard work - perfectly placed!

And another Iommi riff to die for.... nice harmony work there. The Spell. The verse has something mystical about it, which I like. Nice use of the keyboards again!!!

Always place epic (long) songs at the end of an album (see also my posting in the Stealth OST section). I Go Insane - perfect. What can I say other than

My TOP 3: after the first listen-through: Wasted Again, I Go Insane, Dopamine and The Spell

So, this is the other side of Glenn, and I am still very much undecided which I like better - the Soulmover Glenn or the Iommi Glenn?!
It's really all of Glenn for everything he has given us, be it Rock, Funk, Soul or Heavy.
Thank you!

Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jul-12-2005, 12:31 PM

Austria

Lightbulb no photos in the booklet!?

on a side-note:
an interesting thing, I have only realized just now: there are absolutely no photos or pictures whatsoever in the booklet.
The design is very good, a little cold maybe.

What do you think?
Old Jul-13-2005, 8:00 AM

UK

That was the first thing that struck me when I opened the inlay booklet. Actually I found the artwork quite reflective of my opinion of the album - ok but nothing special. It was better than I expected from the samples, but that still only made it clock in as "aveage" on the James Gaden taste-o-meter.
I know one group of people love this album, I know one group of people think Glenn is better off on other projects. I put myself in the latter camp.

JG

Old Jul-13-2005, 1:14 PM

UK

Looks like we are getting a splinter group here......The Funkmeisters!!!

Bring back da funk....bring back da funk....bring back da funk...bring back da funk.....(thats enough I fink)....

Now go and play Feel or Play me Out or You are the music or Incense n Peaches.............it does make sense n see how unique our man is!!!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1986, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2005, 7th star, album, albums, bands, bass, book, classic rock, clinic, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, history, keys, Pix, press, related, search, Sheet Music, Shirean, solo, solo album, soul mover, styles, tour, track, Video, voodoo hill, YouTube