g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep-23-2004, 3:25 PM

USA

DVD Comments

I guess I'll start off with the bottom line on the dvd. I love it! Yes it's not quite what I expected, but I "get" what vibe was being gone for. As for the darkness of the video, hey, it wasn't much lighter in the studio that night. An intimate, close feeling was what came across for me, not some bright, expansive auditorioum as with most other videos.
I'm not one to nit-pick a song or video to death....I'm only worried about if I enjoy it for what it's worth, and I get pleasure out of it, and I did.
Again, the bottom line is I think it's great. Good on you Glenn!! Thanks for allowing us the chance to be there in person and sharing this special event with you and other great Glenn Hughes fans from all over.
Hopefully we'll get more dvd releases in the future.
Now I have to wait for the shops to re-stock so I can buy more copies for some friends!!

Chip
Old Sep-23-2004, 5:25 PM

USA

Sounds good Chip. Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Waiting ever so patiently.

Kat
http://www.jeffcoffey.com
Old Sep-23-2004, 7:40 PM

China

Chip, you did not mention the apparent problem with the sound and picture sync. Has this been fixed?
Old Sep-24-2004, 7:46 AM

USA

I just got my copy and I must say "WOW"! I love it! I have it playing on my big screen TV with surround sound and it is awesome. The band looks and sounds great. I like the mood that was set with the lighting and all, it really fits the "vibe" of the music.

It was a special day, and I am very, very thankful that I made the trek to the taping. Now I have this reminder forever of that special day, with special friends.

And now I am a DVD star! hehehehehe

Kat
http://www.jeffcoffey.com
Old Sep-24-2004, 11:15 AM

USA

Big D -

I really didn't notice the out of synch part until the beginning of Medusa, I think. You notice a little at the beginning if you watch Chad on drums, the "streaming" action of the video causes that in my opinion.
You guys that are in the business will pick it apart, as you know how and why things work better than I do. For me though, I really enjoyed it. I think we love Glenn and his work so much we want and probably were expecting the most perfect dvd ever to come out of this, and when it doesn't quite happen, people get upset too much.
For those of you still waiting for your copies, I wouldn't be too worried about it. The sound is excellent, either in stereo or in 5.1.

Chip
Old Sep-24-2004, 1:54 PM

USA

Wicked!!!

Almost blew the TV (lots louder in stereo, rather than 5.1 on it- its an Apex) on Gettin Tighter!
Any GH person will enjoy the DVD.
The live CDs are great! Better than Live in S.America- which I love.
Old Sep-24-2004, 8:59 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
As a couple of others who were there in LA back in January, have said, it's hard not to be bias in any review, as on the day, it was even more exciting and mind blowing than watching it on the DVD, but at least this time we're in the comfort of our own homes and in 5.1 Surround and no sore bottoms

Shirean and I lucked out, as we received both the Japanese and Euro release on the same day this past week....it's been an especially long wait this time, as were supposed to get a bunch of goodies from Frontiers for a Competition we were going to hold a couple of weeks ago for everyone, but after 2 lost packages, it wasn't meant to be

Anyway, the Japanese DVD has an extra bonus video clip of the song The Healer featuring Glenn at his home and back garden Frontiers really pushed the boat out budget wise with that idea! Anyway, it works well and worth tracking down for all you collectors - see screen capture below!

The difference between the Japanese and Euro DVD is night and day - the Japanese release "feels" like the audio was clumsily overlayed onto the video - difficult to explain unless you hear/see it - whereas the Euro release is almost perfection. There are a couple of synch issues, but they're hardly noticeable and not worth all the "talk" that was mentioned earlier.

As for the performance - WHOA - what can you say, absolute perfection by all involved. At last I have something to share with "newbies" and to show off the talents of especially, Glenn and JJ. And with the added bonus of Chad being in attendence will only help in getting the word out to soon-to-be Glenn fans

As alway for me, Written All Over Your Face, Medusa, Wherever You Go, Seafull, Coast To Coast and Gettin' Tighter are my personal faves on this release - don't get me wrong, it's all good, but those standout. But I still try not to think about the fact that Blue Jade is missing....maybe one day....it'll see the light of day as a bonus here or there.

I'm so happy to see JJ get this outlet for a wider audience to SEE and HEAR him LIVE - what a performance he pulled off, even better than I remember and Shirean and I were right in front of him on the day! What can you say about Chad, a powerhouse and fits perfectly with Glenn - can't wait to see them playing again together this December.

I loved the interview chapter...but I've never seen Glenn appear so nervous as at the beginning, almost like he was breaking a sweat - some good questions, although would of liked it to go a bit longer.

I was 'kinda of disappointed with the Picture Gallery chapter, it could of done with some music as each shot went by....they should of asked Shirean and I for some input

It was cool to see everyone from here on the Fan Forum throughout the performance, although you had to look real close at times I liked that they included the back of my big head at the end of the interview section as Glenn was walking inside Sound Image.....after walking by Kat, Ken and a few others

Anyway, for those that are still waiting....you're not going to be disappointed, trust me. But now it's time for me to put the CD edition in the car and crank it up LOUD

Capture from the bonus video - "The Healer" - Japan DVD release

Old Sep-25-2004, 10:24 PM
schreinermusic

I also got my GH DVD (Euro Edition, Germany) yesterday and i have a kind of mixed feeling for it.
First, for those who don�t know, I am a freak of a GH fan for over 20 years now, love every piece of music he is doing or ever did and I�m also a professional musician by myself.

I love the DVD for what it is, since we all were eagerly awaiting such a thing for so long now.
The sound is great, it really is, powerful and energetic. The performance is also great. All bandmembers were doing a great job, but the keys with Ed Roth were much to quiet in the mix, in my opinion.

David is right, Glenn seemed to be a bit nervous in the interview but in my opinion also during the set sometimes.

The chorus of "Higher Places" and "Written all over your face" do sound a bit overdubbed with Glenn�s own backing vocal lines, taken from the 2003 studio production.It seems to sound like it, not quite sure about it, so no argueing about that.

The package of the DVD was looking totally okay, no complaining about that.

What I don�t like the most on the DVD is really the strange camera positions and filming directions. The center position from the back does indeed look like from a bootleg video, also not very sharp.
The movie itself is indeed very dark at times, some of you mentioned that earlier and i�ve gotta say, it�s true, in my opinion.
The menue does not offer the opportunity to pre-select each song.

To speak in the words of another GH fan from the forum on glennhughes.com: "It is what it is" and I�m greatful to have it, even it�s not perfect.
Some of you will like it more or less, but it�s a great gift that any kind of motion picture of a GH concert is now officially available.
So in the end I�m happy to have it!
And I�m enjoying it!
Thank�s Glenn, "Big Daddy"!

Get the funk,
Achim

a "hello" to David..see u next Wednesday in the chat..

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
2003, backing, Coast to Coast, David, drums, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, keys, Pix, Shirean, streaming, Video