g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep-22-2004, 7:19 AM

UK

Icon47 Wizards Convention

Hi all
Just got my copy of the above last week,knowing of Glenn's involvement,as well as Dave C & other Purps.
Err,should have taken a warning from Glenn's name being 'Glen' on the inlay tray for the rest of the content but I must say how much I like "Until Tomorrow" (Glenn does Stevie Wonder) & "Money to Burn" (David Coverdale & great funky riffs).Glenn also sings co-vocal on "Light of my Life".
I cannot see for the life of me why these good/great tracks were 'saddled' with the rest,which at best are late night schmalz (hope I've used this in the right context!!) & at worst,pap.
They just don't have any relationship with the rest of the CD's contents & aside from Eddie Hardin's involvement don't have any place there.It hints of a couple of 'just throw them on here' tracks as there's nowhere else to put them !
"Until..." & "Money...." are both on the 'interesting' Deep Purple complilation "Deep Purple and Beyond - Greatest Hits" which I picked up from Sam Goody's in the US a few days earlier for $5 ! You can imagine my suprise when I saw these tracks were extracted from "Wizards.."
Please,someone tell me I've missed the point & there is some relationship.
Cheers
Ben
Old Sep-25-2004, 9:00 AM

Austria

Ben,
Wizards Convention was basically an Album by Eddie Hardin, where he brought friends from the Butterfly Ball project in to do songs. It's also not a concept like the B.B. - that's why the material varies.
Glenn's performance is classic, simply stunning.
"She's a Woman", sung par excellence by Jimmy Helms (who resurfaced in the group Londonbeat, circa 10 years later) should be mentioned positively too though!
Cheers,
Christian
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to chrisloeb For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-27-2013, 4:46 AM

Sweden

I like Glenn's song, but David's Money To Burn is simply amazing. One of his best tracks ever, in my opinion.
Old Feb-28-2013, 9:20 AM

UK

I believe Roger Glover didn't approve of Butterfly Ball & Wizzards Convention being lumped together on cd.As a collector I snapped this up on 'Connosour Collection' back in the 90's.
A dvd of 'Butterfly Ball' concert would be most welcome.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
album, David, Deep Purple, glenn, London