g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-04-2004, 7:25 AM

UK

Icon35 Jimmy Barnes recommendations?

Hi all
Anyone care to recommend a particular CD by way of a 'beginners guide to' Jimmy Barnes ?
A search of the Forum indicates James' love of 'Two Fires' about a year ago & wonder if others endorse that or can suggest an alternative.
Many thanks for your time.
Has there actually been any connection between Glenn & Jimmy or is it purely similar vocal styles? (Forgive me if I'm way off the mark here only I've never heard Mr B sing!)
Cheers
Ben
Old Jun-04-2004, 12:08 PM

USA

I would recommend 'Freight Train Heart'. It's a great CD, and actually has a song or two that were hits. Not only that, but the disc features guests like Neal Schon and Jonathain Cain of Journey, David Glen Eisley of Giuffria, Joe Lynn Turner and more. It's hard-rocking pop, it's soulful and Jimmy's voice is at times astounding.

Great stuff, at least I think so.

Cheers...todd
Old Jun-04-2004, 2:04 PM

Hi Ben,
yes you are way off the mark when comparing Glenn with Jimmy. Barnes vocal style is more akin to Brian Johnson(AC/DC) albiet with a tad more feel(soul).
Having grown up in Australia, I have a bit of an insiders view on our Jimmy. Jimmy Barnes was argueably the best front man in Oz rock as we call it. His band Cold Chisel was,(1978-86) in its time the best Oz hard rock band going around. Second only to AC/DC. I was never a real fan of Jimmy's, having met him a couple of times in th 80's, i found him to be a loud mouthed,egotistical piss pot. That was until recently when he guested with Jon Lord/Bob Daisley's blues band in Australia. The show was meandering along slowly going nowere when Jimmy got up on stage and the place just lit up. The crowd went off and so did the band. There were three encores, all with Jimmy on vocal. This was the gig where Bob Daisly got the idea to use Jimmy for the "Living Loud " Project.
After that gig at Coolum in Queensland, Australia, I spoke to Jimmy( now off the booze) and found him to be a great bloke and a pleasure to hang with, which is why I'm sure he got the gig with Morse n'co. Hope this bit of a back ground helps.

Suggested listening: In my preffered order

Cold Chisel:
1st Album simply titled" COLD CHISEL" 1978
Circus Animals 1982
Breakfast at Sweethearts 1979

Barnes Solo:
Working Class Man 1992
Freight Train Heart 1988 W/ Cain,Schon,Mick Fleetwood and Desmond Child.
Two Fires 1990 Follow up to FTH but not as spontainious

*Keep clear of his two "soul" albums, unless you want nightmares!

regards,
Pete.
Old Jun-05-2004, 4:00 AM

UK

Hi Toadsterama & Hard Rock Pete
Really appreciate your replies,suggestions,& background info.
In a perverse sort of way almost tempted by the soul...........nah!
Will seek out JBs solos & Cold Chisel.
Thanks again.
Cheers!
Ben
Old Jun-06-2004, 9:26 PM

UK

All of those are excellent choices, and to add to the list I would heartily recommend "Living Loud" (brand new project featuring Jimmy, Steve Morse, Don Airey, Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake) which is classic hard rock and several excellent rerecordings of Ozzy Osbourne classics.

As a starter Ben, I would say Jimmy Barnes Hits Anthology and Chisel - Best of Cold Chisel. Both are really well thought out compilations. Hits is a superb collection of stuff from rock to motown covers, and "Chisel" is so good after I bought it I ordered the entire studio sessions box set and never looked back!

JG

ps I love the two soul albums, just for the record.....if you want a Jimmy/Chisel sampler disk burning drop me an email!

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1978, 1979, 1982, 1988, 1990, 1992, album, albums, David, GHPG.net, glenn, journey, search, solo, steve morse, styles, win