g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-09-2002, 5:58 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
HTP Review

HTP (Hughes Turner Project)
Pony Canyon International - PCCY-01556

Wow, this is one CLASSIC ROCK album!!

Glenn succeeded big time with his writing style for this outing. It provides the listener the full spectrum of both Glenn and Joe's talent and allows them to highlight their star-studded careers. Combining the best of the Purple and Rainbow sounds of the 70's and 80's with a heavy dose of the modern day talent they both still exude on tracks like Mystery Of The Heart and Heaven's Missing An Angel just to name a couple.

The choice of core musicians to share in this winning formula include the outstanding keyboard wizardry of Vince di Cola, the always maturing guitar talents of JJ Marsh and drummer Shane Gaalaas. Guests include Paul Gilbert (You Can't Stop Rock'n'Roll), John Sykes (Heaven's Missing An Angel) and Akira Kajiyama (Ride The Storm & Against The Wall) who bring their artistry to the forefront when they enter the project.

There's a chemistry going on throughout the album highlighted by the complimentary vocal talents of Hughes & Turner, while the other performers are perfect in their delivery of the ever-timeless rock'n'roll riffs and solos.

Highlights include the opener, Devil's Road with Glenn and Joe sharing thundering vocal deliveries with a thumping bass pumping in the background and keys and guitar riffs throughout! You Can't Stop Rock'n'Roll and Missed Your Name are 'put your fist in the air' stompers yet include some great harmonies by both vocalists. Mystery Of The Heart is Joe Lynn Turner's impressive solo number co-written with Glenn, for fans of Street Of Dreams this one is going to bowl you over and is worth the price of admission alone. Sister Midnight features some funky honky-tonk keyboard and guitar parts and vocal performances highlighted by Glenn who's in full swing on this one. There's also some smooth harmonies by both vocalists which 'back in the day' would make this one a good candidate as a '45 7-inch single release. Heaven's Missing An Angel is Glenn's solo performance with guitar duties provided by John Sykes. A classic from Glenn on this wonderful song, one minute you get the 'rock god' vocal delivery quickly followed by the soulful whisper that only he can perform. Run, Run, Run is delivered with a 'bang your head' classic metal riff and shows off all the musicians on the track, this is definitely a 'top down, peddle to the medal' rocker! On The Ledge starts off with Vince di Cola in fine form on keyboards with a classic mixture of 'Lord and Emerson' influenced passages, followed by the band gradually fading into a thunderous beat and then Glenn on a classic Hughes intro vocal, a rocking chorus follows shortly thereafter - this track is almost an anthem that would say "this is what the HTP sound is all about". A quick mention of Against The Wall which you'll find as the Bonus Track on the Japanese release - a thunderous 4-1/2 minute rocker with Akira Kajimara and JJ sharing a classic 'Thin Lizzy style' riff throughout the song, again Vince di Cola is outstanding and includes some bombarding vocals by both Glenn and Joe.

In conclusion, there isn't really a duff track on the CD, but the one's mentioned above deserve special mention.

This album is definitely made to be played live and this is one show we wouldn't want to miss and is definitely a prime candidate for a live CD release and should be considered for a DVD package to capture what will undoubtedly herald some breathtaking live performances.

HTP has arrived folks!!
Old Feb-10-2002, 9:26 AM

USA

HTP Review

Hi All,

Got my copy of HTP from Buccaneer on Sat in my mailbox. A pleasant suprise as I didn't expect it so soon. Buccaneer is awesome!! Anyway, I was blown away by how good it is. Dont get me wrong, I love both JLT and Glenn but I was sceptical about how I would like the two on one cd and sharing the vocal duties. I thought I would be wishing Glenn was singing where Joe was and vice versa or there might not be enough of Glenn singing. This cd works and it is so good there BETTER be another one in the works!!!

The cd format works great. Glenn and Joe each have songs that they pretty much sing solo and the rest they trade off vocals on alterating verses.

Highlights of the cd for me:

Missed Your Name, Sister Midnight, Better Man and Heaven's Missing an Angel.

Heaven's missing an angel features John Sykes on guitar and leaves you wondering what a whole cd of these two could bring. John Sykes does with a guitar what not many can.....bring it to life!! T

With a number of straight forward rockers like Devil's Road and You Cant Stop Rock n Roll, some hard funk like Sister Midnight and Better Man and some ballads like Mystery of the heart and Heaven's missing an angel-this is the complete package!!! This is a top ten contender for my cd of the year for sure.

As far as the bonus track-it is good but wont be missed if you need to save a few bucks. The cd is a MUST OWN if you like hard rock or Glenn Hughes. I give it a 5 out of 5!!!!!!

Gotta go....time to play the HTP cd again!!!!!

Maz
Old Feb-10-2002, 4:32 PM

USA

HTP reviews

Both of these reviews are great! I can't wait to get my copy, and the waiting just might be a little easier, thanks to the knowledgable reviews!
Old Feb-10-2002, 11:13 PM

USA

Oh Man... I can't wait another month for this....
Old Feb-24-2002, 11:37 PM

USA

And thank god I only had to wait a couple of weeks. Got it yesterday. Very impressive. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old Feb-26-2002, 2:02 PM

USA

HTP-followup

Hi all

I've gotta say after a few weeks my love for this cd has not diminished at all. Quite the opposite, I like it more!! This is a must own. I am amazed at every aspect of this cd and how well it works. I said it before and I'll say it again: There better be an HTP 2 in the works!!!

Maz
Old Feb-27-2002, 11:18 AM

zUKUSA

Well...

any project with Glenn in it will be worth waiting for! I guess it depends on what he wants to do next.

HTP shows that he can put a classic hard rock album together in his sleep - less than 2 weeks is all it took to complete these songs!

He knows he can release records in this vein and have a big hit with the fans, which is why he hasn't done it upto now, wanting a bit of a challenge and to concentrate on "today vs. yesterday" - which is what The Way It Is was all about. But having said that, let's hope this one "opens some eyes'n'ears" other than the usual fan base.

As he's said before, "been there, done that". It'll be interesting to see what comes along and what will be the next big project.

There's always Hughes/Thrall II still to come - but personally, I'd prefer only to have it see the light of day, if they get the financial backing it will no doubt deserve. I'm sure this release is one Glenn would really like to be successful - so waiting, is a smart move until the time is right. I don't want to see it in the bargain bins, a month after it's release, know what I mean!!

What d'ya think?
Old Feb-27-2002, 1:17 PM

USA

I agree and disagree at the same time. The selfish part of me wants nothing left unreleased. The part of me that appreciates Glenn and would like him to see some commercial success (ie: radioplay, US tour dates, a spot on Letterman?) agrees with you that it needs the backing. It would be nice to see he gets his due deserve. So much crap is jammed down our throats on the radio and the on the TV that doesnt even hold a match to Glenn's stuff. I guess we are the vocal minority but we have a voice and we should be heard!! Anyway, hope you see what I mean about agreeing and disagreeing at the same time. To wrap up, I cant get enough Glenn Hughes Material.

Maz
Old Feb-27-2002, 1:26 PM

zUKUSA

I hear 'ya!

It's all part of the fun and frustration of being a Glenn Hughes fan - we feel his pain too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old Feb-27-2002, 9:42 PM

Finland

Couldn't wait no more!

I had order HTP from Bucaneer, I just couldn't wait no longer. Those audio clips from melodicrock.com kept on haunting me!

Btw, It's good that Glenn won't get too much commercial success, 'cause Glenn is heavy and I like Glenn heavy. Those funky parts of his stuff are great too but you can always hear something heavy on his music and voice. It's too damn real and authentic for those radio pop people. I think this is the reason why I didn't like Glenn's X-mas album. It was just too...pink (cloud)?

I believe that HTP will play me out in no time!

J

Visit www.jahola.tk

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
album, backing, bass, classic rock, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, HTP, Hughes/Thrall, JJ Marsh, keys, Pix, solo, tour, track, win