g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep-29-2004, 2:52 PM

USA

Classic Rock Magazine News

Just saw this at Blabbermouth.net....I know Barton was always pro Glenn so this is good news, although I am troubled with the thought that they might turn this into the new Kerrang seeing that new bands are mentioned in this.

John

Media Bulletin" is reporting that Future Publishing has revealed a new senior editorial team for its Classic Rock magazine, with new hirings including Kerrang!'s founding editor Geoff Barton.

Scott Rowley takes up the reins as editor-in-chief and rock journalist Barton returns to the industry to become editor-at large, a newly created position, on the magazine.

Rowley, who takes up his position on October 4, has been promoted after four years as editor of Future's Total Guitar magazine.

During his time at the magazine ABC figures rose from 31,516 in 2000 to its current high of 43,113, and two regular special editions — Total Guitar Beginners Special and Total Guitar Bass Special — were launched.

Working with editor Sian Llewellyn, Rowley's initial brief is to reinvigorate the magazine, capitalising on the recent chart successes of rock bands like THE DARKNESS and VELVET REVOLVER alongside classic rock bands like GUNS N' ROSES and VAN HALEN.

Barton, formerly the founding editor of Kerrang!, takes the role of editor-at large after four years' sabbatical as a motoring journalist. Barton will spend time on the road following rock legends, as well as writing features for the magazine.
Old Sep-29-2004, 2:56 PM

USA

I guess all of our letter writing finally did the trick!!! As you say John, hopefully it will turnout to be an actual improvement.

We'll have to wait and see!
Old Sep-30-2004, 1:22 AM

UK

Geoff Barton has been writing in C.R. for many months now. He Has done the review for Burn 30th Reissue and given it the Maximum 5 Stars.

I've been reading him since the early 80's when he wrote for Sounds.

"It's in my blood"
Old Sep-30-2004, 5:20 AM

UK

Yes guys Geoff used to make me laugh at Sounds trying to convert us all to the notion that Space Ace was going to take over the world but apart from that, his journalism nowadays is not in doubt. I am confident that this will mark an improvement in this magazine. It needed something! His review of Burn I thought was immaculate - credit where it's due.
Old Sep-30-2004, 5:40 AM

UK

Barton's recent articles have improved Classic Rock a lot. He's a great journalist, who seems to have retained his enthusiasm for rock music.

I must admit to some disappointment at the Burn review though. Yes, he raved about it and gave it 5 stars, but he hardly mentioned anything about the remastering, and absolutely nothing about the remixes.

cheers
John
Old Oct-01-2004, 2:39 AM

UK

Good point John, but there again your valid points give us something objective to discuss rather than us sitting here and dismissing the article because of its lack of journalism.

You would have thought that the review should have mentioned the quality of the remix job than the history of the original recording.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
2000, bands, bass, classic rock, glenn, guitar, history, remix