g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep-01-2004, 10:10 AM

USA

Here we go again....

Still reeling from the last hurricane on the 13th, we now have Frances pointing right at us for a hit this weekend. This one is expected to be so much worse than the last one, which was really bad. All the debris still lying about will now become missiles in this next storm. And since it will make land fall closer to us than the last one, the winds are expected to be much stronger too. So I have done little else this week other than prepare for this new storm. I still need to get to the store to replenish what supplies we used up last time. Hopefully it won't mean another week without power LOL! Of course, that is the least of my worries at this time, hoping we are all safe and sound come Sunday.

Kat
http://www.jeffcoffey.com
Old Sep-01-2004, 11:24 AM

UK

A great pity we can't be there to support you and your family Kat. You know I'm thinking of you though my words are of little comfort.

'The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return'
Old Sep-01-2004, 12:23 PM

USA

Thanks Shirl! Just getting some of that pent up stuff out helped. Gotta be brave for the kid LOL!

Kat
Old Sep-01-2004, 2:41 PM

USA

Hey Kat,

I've been talking very frequently this week to my oldest daughter, who lives in Oviedo. (North-east of Orlando.) No water bottles for sale at Cosco, ripped screen houses for pools still not picked up from Charley's wake yet, ready to turn into flying metal missiles, and she has to work on Friday, because she's the director of a Kinder Kare, and the children's parents need the time to plywood the windows. So the recommendations from the radio to evacuate inland aren't any help to them.......

YOU KNOW, that we of our little family here, wish you and your family there, all the best.
We all hope that you and your family, get through this hurricane safely.

We will all be thinking of you.....
Take care,
Grace
Old Sep-01-2004, 11:27 PM

USA

Grace,

I see she's filled you in on the big picture. The one thing I am grateful about right now is that I don't have a job to get in the way of my preparation. Even my husband is out of town working until Friday, and hopefully the traffic won't be too bad Friday night as he tries to get home. Thanks for the well wishes, and the same to your family here too.

Kat
Old Sep-02-2004, 4:59 AM

USA

.....and if worse comes to worse,
and you find youself being interviewed
by some TV station's reporter......

MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE WEARING YOUR GLENN HUGHES T-SHIRT!!!!

Take care, and let us know how things are going with you, when you can.
Old Sep-02-2004, 5:07 AM

Netherlands

Kat,

although i only know you a little from your posts here. I wish that you and all your family will stay safe.

Hiawatha72
Old Sep-02-2004, 8:36 AM

USA

Thanks guys! This waiting is very nerve-wracking.

Grace...I'll try and remember to wear my GH shirt if that occurs LOL!

Kat
Old Sep-02-2004, 5:52 PM

USA

Hang in there Kat. This is one of the few times that living on the Coast is a destination and not an evacuation area. If you do decide to head West, there are actually still Hotels available along the Pinellas Beaches. Sounds crazy saying "go towards the Coast", but it may be an alternative.
Also, has anyone heard from Kenny ?? We will be thinking of you guys and hope everything is OK with you and yours.
Good luck all.
Frank
Old Sep-03-2004, 1:50 AM

USA

Not going to be heading out. I need to stay home with my "babies" (3 dogs, 2 cats, and a bird)as they are not welcome at most shelters and hotels. One of my dogs, of course the biggest one a shep/lab mix, is terrified in even the smallest storm, and hasn't left my side as they always know when a storm is coming. It is really "fun" preparing for a hurricane with a 100 pound dog glued to your leg.

Thanks for the well wishes. I do hope that Kenny and Carolyn are faring well. Since they are a lot closer to the coast, I hope they have gotten out and are relaxing somewhere safe and sound.

Kat
Old Sep-03-2004, 4:09 AM

USA

Hi Guys--
Just got in from work , as a nurse, was required to make sure all our patients had their dialysis treatments before the storm hits. Whew!! Right now, it is sunny, breezy and extremely muggy. We live in Tamarac, which is apprx. 8 miles inland from Ft. Lauderdale beach. No mandatory evacuations here. We have put the shutters on, secured the outside, etc. Very eerie to see the entire neighborhood boarded up. Seeing this storm on the radar makes me feel extremely insignificant.
Kat, we are like you -- we would never leave our babies behind ( 6 cats and a bird),so we all have plenty of food and are just waiting to see what happens. They are predicting that it will turn and hit mostly North of here, but we will still experience tropical force winds and heavy rain. We live on a canal, and you can see that the Water District Co. has lowered it by about a foot. Of course, the entire state will be affected by this storm. We pray that all will be safe ,including our wildlife friends who must endure this without shelter.
Love from Carolyn & Kenny
Old Sep-04-2004, 9:56 AM

USA

Hey Kat,

According to the clock, it's 3:55 PM. (East Coast Time)

Let us know what's going on, whenever you can.

Thinking of you, and all GH Florida fans.

Take care of yourselves......

Grace
Old Sep-04-2004, 10:48 AM

USA

I'm here. So far so good LOL! Had a few squalls come through, the highest the wind got with that was 40 MPH. We had one brief power surge, but no outages as of yet. A few limbs down in the back yard now. Looks like soon we will be in an extended storm section, that could be nasty, I expect to lose power during that point somewhere. Estimates say we will be experiencing the storm conditions for 35 hours. We've gotten through about 5 hours so far. The storm is being very unpredictable right now. Going very slow, pounding away at the coastal areas. Not sure where it will track at right now, it keeps going back and forth to right over us, to the actual eye going south of us.

This waiting is not fun. I really just want it to be over at this point. So far we are hanging in.

Kat
Old Sep-04-2004, 11:08 AM

USA

Kat--
We are now in the middle of the outer bands. We have lost power 3 times. Be prepared!! Hope fully, by the time it reaches you, it will have lost some of it's energy.It has gotten steadily worse thru the day with heavy rain, and winds of up to 60 miles an hour. Our roof gutter in the back of the house is hanging on by a thread. Thank god, our house is concrete block construction. Power has been out in the surrounding areas off and on thruout the day. Kenny had to go in to work for a couple of hours (emergency gas service). He said there are trees and traffic lights down in the streets. Pretty scary stuff, and we are just in the outer band... This storm is extremely powerful so be careful. Will give you an update later if the power holds.
Carolyn
Old Sep-04-2004, 11:48 AM

USA

I was wondering how things were going there. The reports I saw weren't looking good for your area, lots of strong winds there. We haven't gotten anything very powerful....yet.

Kat
Old Sep-05-2004, 6:31 AM

USA

I'm sure it is getting bad about now for Kat, and Kenny and Carolyn have just been pounded for hours on end. Fortunately, we still have Cable, phone and power at this point (12:30 PM Sunday) on the West Coast. Some outages, and the battery warnings have beeped numerous times all morning. yet there are still knuckleheads zipping up and down the road along the Beach.
I am thinking of you guys and wish you the best as we get ready to take our lumps later in the day.
Let me know how you are once the worst is over.
And Kenny...stay home
Old Sep-06-2004, 3:05 PM

USA

It boggles the mind to think that Florida is enduring its 2nd hurricane in the space of a month and may yet get a THIRD in the form of Ivan.Here's hoping that doesn't happen! I have friends from New York in Tampa and family down in Destin....and to all of you GHCP's down there, I hope that the worst passes soon! Gaston came north and dumped about 12 inches of rain on Richmond VA, about 100 miles southeast of where I am...I was there on Sunday for the day and within 48 hours, it is a disaster area...no storm drain system could possibly keep up with that much rainfall and there is a lot of flooding and water damage.

And Kenny....Don't do anything crazy!!

Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford
Old Sep-07-2004, 9:11 AM

USA

Finally got power back today YAY! We lost it 7AM Sunday morning. My neighbors across the street all got it back yesterday, I was so envious.

The storm wasn't as bad here as expected, but it was still bad. We were under the effects of the storm for about 48 hours. That was not pleasant. It shredded my tarp (covering Charley's roof damage) early Sunday, but we didn't get much water damage in the house after that since the horizontal rain didn't spend enough time on the roof LOL! The rain amounts were terrible, I never did hear a final talley. The entire yard was like walking in a sponge, it was so water logged. The last band of storms that moved through this area threw down so many tornados, it was unreal.

All in all the family is fine, if a bit tired, and the house is still standing. It made a much bigger mess closer to the beaches, it was relentless.

I did take a few pictures. I will post the link when I get them up.

Thanks everyone! Hope to hear from Kenny and Carolyn soon.

Kat
Old Sep-07-2004, 11:25 AM

USA

REALLY REALLY HAPPY

that you and your family are OK, Kat.

My family down there is soggy, but OK, too.

Take care........Grace
Old Sep-07-2004, 11:49 AM

USA

Grace, good to hear your family made it through too!

Here is the link to the pictures. I didn't take too many, as the damage was minimal, thankfully. A little explanation about some of them.

The ones showing the fence and tree from my backyard. That tree used to sit behind my fence. During Charley, it broke the fence at the post trying to push through, onto the house no less. During the next hurricane, it started slamming the fence again. You can see all the damage to the trunk from it rubbing on the fence. John went back during the hurricane and removed the fence part so it wouldn't break. We were hoping the damn thing would go down in the back yard, but instead it just slammed into the tree next to it, and there it sits. It's surrounded by power, cable, and phone lines, so it's not a good idea to try to cut it ourselves. Now it sits where my fence belongs, so we can't put up the fence part till the utility company comes through and takes it out.

The blue strands you see in some of the pictures are pieces from the tarp, which shredded during the hurricane.

The purple flowers in my front garden. It was all purple flowers, then since Charley, a pink one comes up here and there in the garden. Must be trauma for the plants showing.

Here's the link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/katco3...lbum?.dir=ea39

Kat
Old Sep-07-2004, 5:55 PM

USA

Kat and All,
May as well keep this thread alive...Ivan could have us running for cover once again.
Frances took out our power Sunday, then as the winds picked up on Monday AM, we got power back. Tough to figure.
Had a wind gauge out on the beach and Monday registered gusts over 75 MPH in the afternoon. Not alot of fun with winds and rain banging in off the Gulf of Mexico. Still, damage was minimal here, but only a few blocks inland there were trees down all over the place.
It's times like this when the snow in New York isn't sounding so bad anymore.
Frank
Old Sep-08-2004, 1:07 AM

USA

I know what ya mean Frank.

Things are not looking good for us as far as Ivan is concerned. The only steering winds they have talked about bring it right on by you, and over to my area. Guess I won't be stocking up the fridge anytime soon.

Going to be fun this week trying to find new tarps, gas, and whatever else I need to replenish for the next one.

Kat
Old Sep-08-2004, 5:59 AM

USA

As we "speak", it's Wednesday, and we in the New York area
are getting the left-over rain from the recent hurricane, too.

I saw on the Weather Channel that somebody in Florida
spray-painted their plywood windows with:
"Kiss my fanny, Franny!"
Old Sep-08-2004, 6:52 AM

USA

Glad to hear everyone is O.K!
Ice storms are kinda fun when it's 10 degrees
outside and your without power for 14 days.
Kenny do something crazy???
STORMBRINGER COMIN'
PEACE
Mark
Old Sep-08-2004, 11:46 PM

USA

The proposed track for Ivan are out, and the news isn't good. It's expected to come right up through the state. It's expected to arrive here late Monday night/early Tuesday. I hope it changes.

Kat
Old Sep-09-2004, 6:28 AM

USA

GOOD LUCK YOU GUY'S!
Old Sep-11-2004, 3:40 AM

USA

Well Kat, it is looking more and more like Ivan will spare the inland portions of Florida.
We still are going crazy waiting to see what it is planning for our Coast though. The models keep moving West, and I just hope they stay there. Let's just hope for the best so we can all finally get out from the problems we have had before from Frances and Charley.
Frank
Old Sep-11-2004, 9:34 AM

USA

I'm with you Frank! I get hopefull every time the track goes more west, but the pessimist in me knows it can just as well go the other way. These storms always like to throw in a last minute jog somewhere it seems. I am more hopefull than I was, but still won't rest easy till Ivan has gone his merry way somewhere else.

Kat
Old Sep-12-2004, 10:03 AM

USA

Just in case.....
I'm still thinking of you Kat, and your family.
And all the other GH fans in the Florida area.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!!!
Old Sep-23-2004, 5:24 PM

USA

Well we missed Ivan where I live. At least the first time it hit Florida. Lucky us, it turned South and came back to Florida Monday night. I guess it really, really wanted to visit Orlando. Of course, thankfully, it was pretty tame as compared to how it came ashore at Pensacola the first time.

Now we are preparing for Jeanne to hit this weekend. It will be bad here, we expect a direct hit Sunday night with a category 2 hurricane.

Kenny and Carolyn take care, I see it's supposed to come in by you again.

Kat

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
album, bands, cover, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, track