g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Purple Days Talk about shows, setlists, albums, share your memorabilia...past and present.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul-07-2004, 2:33 AM

UK

Icon27 Purple Rainbows

Sorry if this has already come up as a topic but I am a little out of touch lately. Anyway in the UK and probably the rest of Europe there is a new double CD compilation called Purple Rainbows which chronicles the music of Purple,Rainbow, Whitesnake and Gillan. It's an interesting idea bearing in mind the obvious links. Yet it's a safe choice of tracks and no major surprises. You know the usual suspects - Smoke, I Surrender, Here I Go Again, Burn. Nice to see Dio and Bonnett's own efforts being nodded at too. Regrettably there's no Hughes or Bolin though except in the wonderful You Keep on Moving. Addiction and Shake the Devil would have sat well in there and helped to tell the story much better than the rather sanitised selection which was chosen. I can't imagine why anyone would want to claim that Lovehunter was one of Whitesnake's best songs. Spinal Tap covered it didn't they? Still of the Night and Is this Love are sorely missed and I am guessing the company couldn't get the licences. The cover and packaging is scandalous by the way.

If anyone is interested I will post the track listing up here and maybe we can debate our own alternative collection. Anyone got any thoughts? Or are we in the David Coverdale school of cynicism about relabelling and reselling past classics?
Old Jul-07-2004, 4:39 AM

USA

Keith,

It sounds like the same bland/obvious
selections that were chosen for my 4 CD
boxed set: "Deep Purple Shades 1968 - 1998".
My daughter bought this for me one Christmas;
it doesn't even have "You Keep On Moving" on it.

Almost as if, if you pretend that there wasn't a
Hughes/Coverdale/Bolin line up, then it never happened, huh?

That's why I'm not in any rush to buy the new "Burn".
It would have killed somebody to have Glenn and David working on this?

Go figure
Old Jul-07-2004, 5:26 AM

Ireland

I also saw it the other day, but was in two minds, so I think I'll pass on it now!
Old Jul-07-2004, 9:26 PM

UK

This album has been out before, but previously it was a single disk/cassette. It used to have all Gillan era Purple on side one and side two was Dio, Bonnet, Rainbow and Whitesnake. The inlay opened up into one of Pete Frame's excellent rock family trees.

Now it has been re-released as a bigger version. The selection is a marked improvement and there are a few surprises - "Hungry For Heaven" and "Mutually Assured Destruction" for instance. However, as real Purple fans we can obviously pick fault.

It's nice to see "YKOM" appearing, and some "Perfect Strangers" reformation material, but the weird thing is JLT only appears on one track, "I Surrender". He was the longest serving vocalist in Rainbow AND he sang for Purple too, so I think he could've featured more prominently. For Bonnet to appear on two Rainbow tracks AND get a solo one in there is proof they've gone primarily for the hits.

Still, it's a good compilation worth listening too, and it it nice to see it advertised on TV with all the necessary clips. I guess if we ghcp picked the track list it would be a box set retailing at about 200 quid!

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"
Old Jul-08-2004, 4:54 AM

UK

Yes I have just read my original post and I paint a slightly more negative picture than I intended. I loved Gillan's covers of New Orleans and Trouble and had completely forgotten about them. I do stand by my biggest moan though which was the Whitesnake selection and the Hughes and Bolin numbers could have been included if Bonnet and Dio were going to have their wares revisited. Anyway I am repeating myself. Overall 4 stars - yep buy it but then copy it and add you own on a CDR - simple solution and now I will take some happy juice
Old Feb-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Belgium

huh

Bonnett!!!...,let me laugh...

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Share Thread

Tags
1998, addiction, album, David, Deep Purple, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, solo, track, win