g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov-29-2006, 8:20 AM

USA

Arrow Glenn will appear on Ken Hensley's new album!!!!

Some great news from from former-Uriah Heep Ken Hensley's website:

An update on the studio recordings by Ken Hensley:

""Hola....
I just enjoyed an incredible day in the studio with Glenn Hughes who is singing (in his own amazing way) two songs on the new CD, Blood On The Highway. I am really lucky to have so many great vocal performances on this record and I am especially thankful to Glenn who came to Alicante directly from his recently completed European tour!! It's always cool to spend time with a fellow "road-warrior" and we made time to share some stories and to chat about doing some things together in the coming year. I'll keep you posted on all of that but, in the meantime we have to prepare for more guest singers over the next few weeks!".

This is fantastic news. Two of my favorite artists working together for the first time!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
KH and GH_Alicante Spain_ November2006.jpg  
Old Nov-29-2006, 8:49 AM

USA

Keep us up to the minute on this entire project. Having been a huge Heep fan from "way back", and a fan of both Glenn and Ken for years, I am truly excited about this project. Who are some of the other vocal guests on the album ? I imagine John Lawton will be there, and hope Bernie Shaw does a guest spot also. Hearing Glenn and Bernie on the same recording would be somewthing special.
Old Nov-29-2006, 9:05 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,870 Times in 2,727 Posts
Yes, John Lawton is featured on one track apparently, as is Jorn Lande on a couple. It's currently due for release in May of next year.
Old Nov-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Spain

Thanks Equinox for this great news

Does anybody know which musicians are playing on the album? On "Cold Autumn Sunday" the band where spanish musicians.

Cheers.

Pere
Old Nov-29-2006, 12:19 PM

Netherlands

My god. Two of my favorite singers on a Hensley Album

This should be something!!
Old Nov-29-2006, 2:56 PM

USA

What Fantastic news!!
My two favorite musicians of all time getting together.
I had been hoping for this to happen for a very long time
Old Nov-29-2006, 5:40 PM

UK

Sounds interesting, I may have to purchase this when it comes out. Not a huge Heep fan, but Glenn and Jorn Lande might make it worth my while.
Old Nov-30-2006, 6:31 AM

USA

Heep is my all-time favorite! And, obviously, Ken Hensley is one of my all-time favorite musicians. This album will feature 2 of the greatest vocalists in rock history: John Lawton and Glenn Hughes (and Ken is no slouch on vocals either).

I must admit that I usually dislike these concept albums with vocal contributions from a bunch of different singers (i.e. Nostradamus) but this one is shaping up to be something special.

I don't know who is in the band this time around but Ken has worked with Spanish, Norweigian and Russian musicians in recent years, so it is possible that any number of them could appear on this.
Old Dec-01-2006, 6:02 AM

Brazil

Great news!

Gustavo Martins's Sig:Saravá
Old Dec-01-2006, 12:06 PM

Austria

Hey Ken, are you home?

Ken had a fantastic touring band a couple of years back, featuring the incredible Dave Kilminster on guitar, Andy Pyle on bass and Pete Riley on drums. From a very reliable source (usually I never say that, but believe it or not, it's true) I know that they never got paid and the group disbanded very quietly.

The shows were great though

That probably answers the question why Ken was using local musicians in Spain and Russia recently.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Ken's work, before - in and after Uriah Heep, I even have the two Blackfoot albums he appeared on on vinyl, also most of his solo albums, and he was very friendly and talkative both times I met him personally.

On a side note, I'd like to suggest Mr. Achim Schreiner as one of the guest singers on Ken's forthcoming album - I have had the impression more than once that our Achim here sometimes distinctively sounds like Hensley!

Anyway - looking forward to hearing the songs!

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Dec-04-2006, 9:06 AM

UK

Yes sounds great!I cant belive my fav singers are finally doing something together It should be great! xxkelzangelxx
Old Dec-09-2006, 2:49 PM

Finland

This is great! Hughes,Lande and Lawton on Hensley album!
Cant wait!
I´m a big UH and Lande fan.
Old Dec-09-2006, 5:10 PM

USA

Icon49

Originally Posted by chrisloeb
Hey Ken, are you home?

Yes, Chris, this is also my favorite Glenn Hughes song.
Ah.....the lyrics, the melody, the hiss from the telephone connection.
This musical masterpiece fits perfectly into a bowl,
of mixed incense and peaches, huh?

Also:
Here's hoping that your suggestion for Achim works out.
He will, of course, need a personal assistant......you.
(You know how these big-time rock stars are.)
Old Apr-11-2007, 5:44 AM

zUKUSA

Quote:
KEN HENSLEY
"BLOOD ON THE HIGHWAY"

"So give me five guys who can rock, who don´t know how to stop, send them ten times round the block to add a little mystery, give me radio with balls, they gotta help us fill the halls and we can grab ourselves a piece of rock & roll history." ´(This Is) Just The Beginning`

Rock’n’roll in the Seventies - a particularly colourful chapter in music history. There’s been hardly another era in the annals of popular music that has had an equally significant influence on the developments to come, proved to be a lasting inspiration for many artists and changed so much in political and social terms. Ken Hensley experienced the golden Seventies in his position as a true rock star. As Uriah Heep’s guitarist, vocalist and keyboardist until 1980, but also as a successful solo artist with numerous impressive releases in his own right, he went through countless ups and downs, enjoyed successful concerts, suffered difficult phases, yet only ever wanted one thing: to continue his life as a musician. From the stuff that well over thirty years of wistful musician’s dreams are made of, Ken Hensley has now written and composed an album that is exciting and sounds authentic to the last note. Blood On The Highway is much more than a pure concept album. It’s a memoir of a golden decade, Hensley’s tribute to perhaps the most important era of the genre and a haunting rock album full of emotions, vitality and dynamism. Or, as Hensley puts it: "Blood On The Highway tells a very special story that is autobiographic to a large extent, but also reflects the experiences of many of my friends and colleagues. It’s the story of the Seventies from a rock musician’s perspective."

Hensley was supported by a number of renowned singers whose voices suit the individual songs. "I wanted to reflect the different characters of those days, the many facets that rock’n’roll consisted of back then," he explains, substantiating his selection: "Jørn Lande with his raw timbre stands for great vocalists such as Free and Bad Company frontman Paul Rodgers or the young David Coverdale, who joined Deep Purple during that era and went on to form Whitesnake. Like Rodgers and Coverdale, Jørn’s voice oozes blues and rock." The charismatic Norwegian singer recorded five tracks (‘This Is Just The Beginning’, ‘Blood On The Highway’, ‘You’ve Got It’, ‘Okay (This House Is Down)’ & ‘We’re On Our Way’), Glenn Hughes (ex-Trapeze, Deep Purple) lent his voice to two. "Glenn sings on ‘The Last Dance’, and I absolutely wanted him on ‘What You Gonna Do’, a number that raises the all-decisive question after years of excesses and debauchery: where do you want to go with your life?"

Hensley enlisted the expressive Eve Gallagher for his compositions about love, lust and passion. The native Brit who occasionally sounds like Tina Turner has worked with Boy George, had two club hits of her own in ‘Love Come Down’ and ‘Heaven Has To Wait’ and is the eponym of her own band, Eve Gallagher and Missing Link, who are scheduled to release a new album this year. "I made a point of looking for a female voice for the songs that deal with emotions and relationships," comments Hensley. "Eve really was the perfect choice for ‘Think Twice’, a number full of feeling and depth." ‘It Won’t Last’ saw Hensley reunite with his former Uriah Heep colleague, John Lawton, who proclaims his categorical belief in our own strength: "No need to take the blame, no need to change your name, it wasn’t your mistake, you were trapped and you had to escape, go on and ride the crest, thinking it’s you that’s blessed." It would be difficult to imagine a more stirring appeal for high self-esteem.

Naturally, Ken Hensley also recorded three songs himself (‘There Comes A Time’, ‘Postscript’, and ‘I Did It All’). Having penned all the songs and lyrics, he left his own musical mark, always taking care that as much as possible from the era that Blood On The Highway deals with is transported to the present without ignoring the possibilities of modern studio technology. Hensley: "This is a traditional rock album with a modern flair because it was produced on contemporary equipment. The recordings sound as authentic and honest as possible, which means few synthesizers, real strings and a real piano."

To Hensley, Blood On The Highway is a reminiscence about his own life, a kind of retrospective of an era when music was still pressed on black vinyl records, when musicians wore long hair, bell-bottoms and technicolour shirts. It’s no look back in anger, no summary of time lost, but an ode to probably the most exciting period of his life. Is there a message on Blood On The Highway, a moral to the story? "No," says Hensley emphatically. "In those days, every musician followed his dream. If anyone had given them a tongue-lashing or disabused them, their reaction would have been: thanks for the advice, but I’ll do it the way I feel is right."

"And so the wise old gipsy drifted slowly away,
beaten by the game he’d taught so many to play,
he said "I’d do it all again if I had the chance",
but I’m ready now or one more bow, I’ll take the last dance."
The Last Dance`)

Epilogue:
Ken Hensley still has his dreams: for example to perform Blood On The Highway on stage. "It’s my most fervent wish to perform the album with my band, the guest vocalists and a 25-piece string section in as many big cities as possible, not only in England and America, but also all over Europe, Australia and Japan." The idea doesn’t seem far-fetched: Ken Hensley is scheduled to perform his fascinating rock opera, Blood On The Highway, in Hamburg, Germany on May 22nd, 2007.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf kh-bloodonthehighway.pdf (3.11 MB, 3 views)
Old Apr-12-2007, 10:15 AM

USA

Terrific! Thanks David! By the way, this is shaping up to be a banner year for Heep fans as a new Hensley album, a new Heep album and a new John Lawton project are all on the books for 2007.

But in the meantime, I have my tix for BB's and I'm ready for GH to bring da funk...

Brian
Old Apr-20-2007, 2:42 PM

zUKUSA

Icon42 April 2007 radio Interview

Here is a snippet from an interview with Ken Hensley, conducted by Jörg Reiche of the Rock Bottom radio show in Hamburg, Germany, where Ken talks about the musicians included on his upcoming release, "Blood On The Highway", which of course, includes GLENN
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 kh-0407interview.mp3 (1.44 MB, 5 views)
Old May-31-2007, 6:59 PM

zUKUSA

Here's extensive interviews and live footage from the Hamburg, Germany "Blood On The Highway" event....unfortunately that GLENN couldn't get to, due to an Italian air strike!

http://www.actiontv.ch/showmovie_bothw.php?movie=bothw

Features Ken Hensley, John Lawton, Jorn Lande, Eve Gallagher, Manfred Ehlert and more!

In German and English, with sub-titles where needed.....mostly

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
1980, 2007, album, albums, bass, David, Deep Purple, drums, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, history, solo, tour, track, Trapeze, uriah heep