g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May-06-2006, 2:30 PM

USA

Icon33 Andy Fraser of Free

Well, I didn't end up going to see Wishbone Ash the other day, as I had planned. I discovered a last minute email response to a contest I had entered, telling me I had won tickets to a DVD shooting in Temecula, California. So after work I hopped on a flight to San Diego, drove to Temecula, saw the show, hopped back in the car, drove back to San Diego and caught the last flight home by the skin of my teeth. Who'd I go see? Andy Fraser! It was a trip seeing him. He played almost all of his new album, plus 'All Right Now', 'Mr. Big' and 'Every Kinda People'. His band had Peter Michael Escovedo (Sheila E's brother) on percussion, Joey Heredia of Stevie Wonder's band (and Marco Mendoza's Latin jazz trio) on drums, Paul Pesco (Madonna, Glenn Hughes, etc.) on guitar and a woman from Prince's band on guitar, among others. Tony Franklin was even there, seated three seats to my right. It was a pretty good show, although Andy's raspy-ish voice was a bit croaky at points, so I can foresee some fixing/audio sweetening in the editing stages. (Nothing new there - that's standard operating procedure by most artists.) I would love to have seen Andy play more bass. As it was, he played bass on only two songs. But I think he would have been more comfortable as a front man with a bass in his hand. The show was at a theater in Temecula, a plush-and-hardwood auditorium that seats maybe 500. Great sound and good lighting. There was an overhead crane camera plus some shoulder-mounted cameras, so it's being done up right. And it appears to be an out-of-pocket production, so in this regard the quality of the presentation was even more remarkable. I'm anxious to see this DVD when it eventually comes out.

For more info on the great, enigmatic Andy Fraser, and to check out his new music, go to www.andyfraser.com. And in case you missed my interview with Andy last year, http://www.the-fuze.com/andyfraser.html.

Cheers..Todd

Cheers...Todd
Old May-06-2006, 3:25 PM

USA

Thanks. This has nothing to do with music, but it's amazing how young guys like Paul Rodgers and Andy Free look for their almost 60 ages. Thumbs up.

John
Old May-06-2006, 7:04 PM

UK

I didn't realise he was still in the music industry. I don't think I've heard a single thing from him since Free (tell a lie, I have a version of The Hunter recorded at Woodstock during the 90 with him Rodgers, Slash and Jason Bonham).

Glad to hear he's still around, I might check his stuff out.
Old May-06-2006, 8:23 PM

USA

Icon33

John, I think Paul Rodgers' youthful appearance can be attributed to a bit of nip-and-tuck. And some new hair. He does look good, though. And sound better than ever.

Andy Fraser, on the other hand, is living with AIDS and his physical condition is the result of an intense dietary and workout regimen. He also looks very good, and sounds quite good on his new album.

Cheers...Todd
Old May-07-2006, 6:22 AM

Sweden

Indeed Todd. Same thing with Coverdale...
Old May-07-2006, 1:12 PM

USA

...thanx...

...thanx for this piece of information...

...glad the guy released some music again...FREE remains one of my most favourite bands of all time...
Old May-07-2006, 6:17 PM

USA

Originally Posted by toadsterama
John, I think Paul Rodgers' youthful appearance can be attributed to a bit of nip-and-tuck. And some new hair. He does look good, though. And sound better than ever.

Andy Fraser, on the other hand, is living with AIDS and his physical condition is the result of an intense dietary and workout regimen. He also looks very good, and sounds quite good on his new album.

Cheers...Todd

You are right. I was going to say in my post....now who's their doctor but left it out. Just google image Bad Company+99 and you will definitely see that Paul has new hair. No matter, they both look great.

John
Old May-09-2006, 7:33 PM

USA

Icon27

Thanks Todd.........Man, would I have loved to have seen that show ....... Andy's been one of my all-time favorites, and Free was such an amazing band. Which two songs did he play bass on? I'm sure one of them was "Mr. Big", can't imagine anyone else playing the bass solo from that song except for Andy

The last time I saw Mr. Fraser was in L.A. during the promotional tour for "Fine Fine Line" in 1984. Andy played bass and lead sang at that show, their version of "All Right Now" just kicked!!

Hope he plays some more shows.....Thanks again Todd

Jaz
Old May-09-2006, 8:06 PM

USA

Icon33

Hey Jaz,

Andy played on the abbreviated version of "All Right Now" that opened the show, and later picked up the bass for "Mr. Big". The rest of the time he left the bass playing to another musician.

That would have been cool to see Andy back in 1984! According to his web site, he's planning to tour this year. How extensive that will be, I don't know. So maybe you'll get an opportunity to see him live. Keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers...Todd
Old May-10-2006, 5:19 PM

USA

"Andy Fraser........and sounds quite good on his new album."

His new album takes a bit to get used to.....there's nothing on the album that remotely sounds like Free .

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1984, album, bands, bass, drums, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, jason bonham, solo, tickets, tour