g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Polls & Questions? Here you can post polls for everyone to participate in or if you have general questions, this is the place to ask them!

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Glenn's work as a band member, solo performer, or guest vocalist?
Band member. 5 16.13%
Solo performer. 24 77.42%
Guest vocalist. 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug-07-2009, 3:06 AM

USA

Icon33 Best Glenn Hughes album(s) to start with...

Hello,

I'm curious as to which GH albums the seasoned fans recommend as his best -- especially as a starting place for someone not as familiar with his music? A brief why, with each recommendation, would be very helpful as well.

Looking forward to any responses. Thanks.

Inevitably,
Ricky
Old Aug-07-2009, 3:56 AM

Belgium

I started with Burn and from there I moved on to solo stuff. Really depends what kind of stuff you're into but I'd say Burn is a good start. If you like 80s hard rock Hughes/Thrall is essential. If you really like those 2 you could check out some of the solo albums. Music for the Divine was the first one I got and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
Old Aug-07-2009, 6:24 AM

USA

I suggest that you write the names of Glenn's cds on seperate little pices of a paper and then put those pieces of paper on a dart board. Then throw a dart. which ever piece of paper you hit w/ the dart is where you start. After you wear that one out, I'd throw another dart.
peace,
Old Aug-07-2009, 6:45 AM

Belgium

While the albums I listed are personally my favourites (I don't have that much yet though), they are not very representative of Glenn imo. The other 2 Deep Purple records have a more funky sound like most of Glenn's solo albums. Feel is also an excellent album throughout and goes from very funky rockers to soulful ballads. It was recorded with many great musicians including Pat Thrall on the majority of the albums and a bunch of rather obscure (but great) musicians. Glenn sure knows how to pick 'em.

You can't really go wrong with any albums as Glenn is a strong songwriter and I have yet to find a crappy song by him. My least favourite so far if the first Trapeze album, sounds a bit too much like 60s pop for me. It's still a good album though so if you're into that kind of stuff you should like it but I don't listen to it as much as most of Glenn's records.
Old Aug-07-2009, 7:24 AM

USA

I like the dart idea Good one!!!
Old Aug-07-2009, 9:23 AM

USA

Bart's Dart Idea works best, but I think it depends which sub-genre of Glenn's music you want to start with. He so easily spans the spectrum from heavy metal to straight funk, going through 'classic' rock, hard rock, pop, etc., you would need to decide which fits your personal tastes the best. I am more of a "rocker" type, yet thoroughly enjoy the funky Trapeze, heavy Aina cuts and the truly funky FUNK. WHerever you start, you'll finish with everything in the collection.
Old Aug-07-2009, 10:46 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,850 Times in 2,721 Posts
If you are unfamiliar with Glenn's work, I suggest you get This Time Around: An Anthology which covers most of his career and then get his latest album, F U N K, which will tell you exactly where he is today in the here and now!
Old Aug-07-2009, 12:04 PM

USA

Icon32

All of the suggestions are great, but what Frank said will probably be what will happen with you. Once you get a few, you'll end up with all of them

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Aug-07-2009, 4:11 PM

USA

Icon33

Leave it to David to be the Voice of Reason... Ok fine, start with the anthology for a broad overview. If I was suggesting GH albums to myself, I would recommend 'First Underground Nuclear Kitchen', 'From Now On' and the 'Hughes/Thrall' album. Then maybe 'Songs in the Key of Rock', 'Return of Crystal Karma' and 'The Way It Is'. For an album with a darker, harder edge and a more serious tone, 'Addiction'. For something more playful, soulful and funky, try 'Feel'. If you want to check out some of Glenn's best session work, try and lay your hands on 'God of Voice', which features Glenn's recordings with Liesegang, John Norum, Manfred Ehlert's Amen, Phenomena, etc. Of course, it doesn't include the stuff he did with Gary Moore or Black Sabbath. So you'll have to get hold of those as well And of course you can't ignore his 70's output with Deep Purple and Trapeze Or his rock/r&b/soul solo debut 'Play Me Out'. Then there are the Voodoo Hill albums, and the HTP collaborations Oh, and don't forget the tribute albums...

Cheers....Todd
Old Aug-09-2009, 6:09 PM

USA

You can't go wrong to start from the beginning......grab the second and third Trapeze albums.....Medusa and You Are The Music....We're Just The Band...........enuf said?
Old Aug-09-2009, 11:44 PM

UK

Just to add to the confusion (showing that the dart board theory isn't a bad idea) I'd have to add Soul Mover to the mix. A cracking title track which is still played live four years on, it sums up the many colors of Glenn Hughes outside the Anthology. Burn and Stormbringer are also good starting points of course. Chuck's Trapeze selections also do the biz. Addiction is one of my personal faves even though it was painful album for Glenn to make. But yeah go for the Anthology and work outwards from there.
Old Aug-10-2009, 2:25 AM

Belgium

Deep Purple's Come Taste the Band is pretty good too. No Blackmore on that, Tommy Bolin is a very different kind of player and it doesn't really sound like Deep Purple but it's a very interesting album and it's got a few real gems like Getting Tighter and This Time Around. Glenn still plays a few songs of this album live.
Old Aug-10-2009, 9:53 AM

USA

.......and now for something completely different ~

While lots of Glenn's fans have their favorite albums......
You must get this one first!!!
......the problem is that our boy's CDs aren't always easy to find.

I would recommend that you go to the GH "Discography"
making sure that your printer has at least four blank pages,
and then just print up the whole list. That way you'll at least know
the CD titles of what it is that you're looking for. Glenn's list of Trapeze,
Deep Purple, solo work, and guest appearances will make your brains fall out.

When you find a CD with Glenn's name on it....just buy it.
And purchase a nice CD rack or bookcase while you're at it.
You'll need it......because whatever you buy won't disappoint you.

We had a big discussion "thread" here a while back, trying to figure out what Glenn can't sing.

The answer was------> Nothing.

Old Aug-10-2009, 1:18 PM

UK

Todd

You're so funny

If i had to pick one solo album, no anthology/compilation/best of, would have to be Soul Mover.

Have you heard the news today?

Paul
Old Aug-10-2009, 2:11 PM

UK

It really is hard to choose! For a while I was hooked on Addiction - but I guess the darkness of that was something I was feeling at the time. Still love it now but not in the same way. Feel is another favourite and of course FUNK, Soul Move, M4TD. Love the Voodoo Hill and Moonstone albums, oh man - this one is so had! Not even started on DP or Trapeze, or Hughes turner Project or Hughes Thrall! You really can;t pick a favourite - they all have their pulls and variations and highlights about them! Anything with Glenn on = a great album! Nuff said! xx

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Sep-02-2009, 8:06 AM

Sweden

Addition.The most powerful album,and still the best. To bad he,s dont play these songs live
Old Sep-07-2009, 1:07 AM

NewZealand

Originally Posted by gribban View Post
Addition.The most powerful album,and still the best. To bad he,s dont play these songs live

i still wonder

whyyyyyyyyyyyy on earth glenn doesn't sing any number of this album live

is it that bad papa?

i love seventh star and hughes/thrall and play me out

i strongly recommend these albums

also listen to glenn's performance at jon lord's windows

also i loooove trapeze albums esp.medusa

hughes/thrall_rulez's Sig:
From now on....

\m/
Old Oct-01-2009, 3:09 PM

Kosovo

1.Play Me Out.
2.Feel
3.Blues
4.Addiction

This combination reveals the soul the funk the blues and the rock sides of Glenn. After that, you'll end up buying them all as Frank said. You can also use iTunes store for short previews of albums before you buy.
Old Oct-01-2009, 7:13 PM

NewZealand

The three studio Deep Purple albums + "Made In Europe" are my favourites! but they are AMAZING!!
Old Oct-21-2009, 3:10 AM

Belgium

I'm currently trying to decide what to get next, I have Feel, Soul Mover, M4TD and FUNK but I'm not sure which one I want to get now. I love it that Glenn has such an extensive discography though, that way I can get the older stuff in between the releases of new albums.

I'm thinking about getting Songs in the Key of Rock since I was very impressed with Kollman on the Mogg/Way album. Any other suggestions?
Old Oct-21-2009, 6:00 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,850 Times in 2,721 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyW View Post
I'm currently trying to decide what to get next, I have Feel, Soul Mover, M4TD and FUNK but I'm not sure which one I want to get now.

I'm thinking about getting Songs in the Key of Rock. Any other suggestions?

SITKOR is a good choice, but aren't they all Perhaps ROCK, BTM or TWII are next for you, or if you can find it at a reasonable price, PMO.

Good luck!
Old Feb-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Italy

Icon30

Covering his long career I'd start with Come taste The Band, Play Me Out is an essential to understand Glenn's roots, and I loved Feel and First Underground Nuclear Kitchen which in my opinion both show the real Glenn and what he actually loves to do.
However Hughes-Thrall is a must!
all the best to everyone
the cat
Old Jun-08-2010, 2:24 PM

Netherlands

For me are the Deep Purple Trilogy: Burn, Stormbringer and Come taste the band are essential albums. In that period they where the best selling band in the world!
The Hughes-Thrall album and Black Sabbath's Seventh Star are also classic stuff.
His solo albums are very divers. For instance: From Now On is great, also The Way It Is (underrated) and Songs In The Key of Rock (very basic and with a live feel).
The Iommi Dep sessions is great and also HTP2 (two great singers for the price of one, in my opinion).
Old Jun-11-2010, 1:49 PM

UK

If I had to pick one it would have to be "You Are The Music". It is one of the best albums by anybody ever. There isn't a bad song on it and you get the full range of Glenn's vocals - soul, rock, funk. You also get fabulous guitar playing by the late great Mel Galley. There was a period in the 70s when I played this album every day for months. Time, other commitments and too much else to listen to prevent that kind of thing happening now.

After that, Come Taste The Band, Stormbringer, Play Me Out, Hughes/Thrall and From Now On.
After that, Phenomena, John Norum's Face The Truth, Return Of Cystal Karma.
After that Liesegang's No Strings Attached, Hughes Turner Project, Soulfully Live in the City of Angels.

Just a few thoughts.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Andrew Steed For This Useful Post:
Old Jun-14-2010, 8:17 AM

UK

Icon49

CTTB, Addiction, Blues, Hughes/Thrall, Dep Sessions, Addiction, MFTD, Addiction ... ... and I'm really liking what I've heard from BCC.

By the way Wolfy, I have FINALLY been able to buy my new treasured possession - a brand new Addiction shirt!

Pleased? Me? Understatement!

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jun-14-2010, 10:28 AM

USA

Tough to narrow down, but I'd say Soul Mover and SITKOR would be my toppers. FFF is awesome as well as all Trapeze albums and Burn. But when you are talking solo work, gotta be the two above and maybe FUNK.
Old Jun-14-2010, 1:39 PM

UK

have to agree with you Frank, probably his most 'complete' solo albums. Soul Mover and SITKOR are top notch.

Paul
Old Jun-15-2010, 2:49 PM

UK

Thumbs up

Freak Flag Flyin' - of course! How could I overlook that one?

Thank you Frank for bringing me to my senses again ...

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jun-16-2010, 2:50 PM

NewZealand

Originally Posted by Andrew Steed View Post
If I had to pick one it would have to be "You Are The Music". It is one of the best albums by anybody ever. There isn't a bad song on it and you get the full range of Glenn's vocals - soul, rock, funk. You also get fabulous guitar playing by the late great Mel Galley.

Can't argue with that!

Originally Posted by Andrew Steed View Post
There was a period in the 70s when I played this album every day for months.

...or that. It's still on my MP3 player to this day....

However, it's all bostin', ay it? (a bit of black country speak there )

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Polls & Questions?

Share Thread

Tags
addiction, album, albums, debut, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, guitar, HTP, hughes thrall, Hughes/Thrall, Pat Thrall, solo, solo album, soul mover, tommy bolin, track, Trapeze, voodoo hill