g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec-17-2011, 2:03 PM

France

Thanks everyone (in particular JohnH & Marc Fevre). Yes we need another book! I do understand where the focus was put on here and why. However, music in itself is dealt with when dealing with Purple but not everywhere else so it's a little unbalanced. Then again, DP is (not the sole but) the main reason why GH became famous so that's understandable!

So a more musical book would be superb (more importantly, more new solo/BCC music but we know that's coming)! When you read interviews from when GH was promoting say Feel or Fused, there's a fire in Glenn not only because he needed to defend his albums for marketing reasons, but also because he's passionate about the music's essence. Once again, I love reading that!

I also agree with the comments regarding the book's dark depth, or rather its deep darkness...this is the stuff nightmares are made of & Glenn manages to make the reader suffer. Chilling yet captivating.

A
Old Dec-18-2011, 1:35 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,848 Times in 2,719 Posts
Another good review of the Autobiography:

www.uberrock.co.uk/features/87-december-features/3614-glenn-hughes-the-autobiography-jawbone.html
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-28-2011, 12:59 PM

Netherlands

I got the book as a x-mass gift from my wife,and i just can't stop reading.
I'm digging Glenns career now since 92' saw him about 15 times on stage and now i read his book i admire him even more.

Thanks Glenn to share your life with us the fans
Old Dec-29-2011, 4:11 AM

UK

Here's an excellent review in the new Classic Rock - Feb 2012

There is also a free book this month - "A Selection of the world's best rock writing".

It includes a decent section from Glenn's book along with chapters from the likes of Journey, The Kinks, Beatles, Stones, Cream(Jack Bruce), Motorhead(also by Joel McIver), Ace Frehely & Joan Jett

Currently listening to Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
GH_CR167001.jpg   CR167_Book001.jpg  

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following 6 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-29-2011, 1:56 PM

zUKUSA

Another stellar review courtesy of Record Collector (January 2012)...
gh_book_rc_0112.jpg  
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-29-2011, 2:11 PM

Germany

Thanks wolfysmith and David, two great reviews about Glenn's book, loved reading them!

geosoulberlin's Sig:That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock...
Old Dec-30-2011, 3:11 AM

Germany

Great read indeed! Cheers, Paul! As always you provide excellent material, mate.
Old Jan-04-2012, 9:06 AM

zUKUSA

Excellent NEW interview with Joel McIver all about his work & co-authoring Glenn's Autobiography...

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2012/01/get_lit_-_glenn_hughes_the_aut.php
Old Jan-04-2012, 12:08 PM

Germany

That was indeed a good interview. It's always interesting to read how people in this business come together and Joel seems to be a real nice person. I liked his introduction on stage at Glenn's acoustic show as well, he seems to have a great sense of humor.
(You wouldn't think so when you see his photo in that article though.)

geosoulberlin's Sig:That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock...
Old Jan-05-2012, 5:19 PM

zUKUSA

The Autobiography is also now available as a NOOK Book on the Barnes & Noble 'Nook' Tablet...

www.barnesandnoble.com/w/glenn-hughes-joel-mciver/1100745474?ean=9781906002749&format=nook-book
Old Jan-06-2012, 8:00 AM

Germany

Cheers, David! This is great news for me
Happy New Year to you and Shirean, by the way!

Katy
Old Jan-06-2012, 1:10 PM

zUKUSA

A German language edition of the Autobiography is also in the works, to be published around September 2012. More details as it progresses...
Old Jan-11-2012, 5:52 PM

zUKUSA

One other interview with Glenn's co-author, Joel McIver...

Quote:
The first few thousand sold out in about 10 minutes: it’s the publisher’s fastest-selling book ever, which is very cool indeed. I had a blast working with Glenn and I’ll never forget it.

http://knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=8551
Old Jan-11-2012, 5:52 PM

USA

dam !!!!!!!!!!!

i hope a can say this rite because i know i dont have the power of expression that alot of you have but damm - i thought i had really messed up my own life taking that garbage!!!- i havent felt this way since i first heard and understood the addiction album
Old Jan-22-2012, 7:54 PM

USA

Just ordered this book on the Barnes & Nobles site the other day, should be arriving in another day or two Can't wait, Seems like it will be a very interesting read!
Old Jan-26-2012, 3:47 PM

zUKUSA

Another good interview with Glenn's co-author, Joel McIver with good mention of the Autobiography and more...

Quote:
...we´ve been talking for ages, Glenn and I, how it would look as a film. I think maybe we had that in mind when I was writing it. Some of that is because he is always saying “Get a visual, get a picture of it!” and it is a very visual book as a result.

http://metalshrineblogg.blogspot.com/2012/01/intervju-med-forfattarenjournalisten.html
Old Feb-08-2012, 5:48 PM

zUKUSA

Another good review of the Autobiography...

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/bookreviews/fr/Glenn-Hughes-The-Autobiography-Book-Review.htm
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-10-2012, 7:56 PM

USA

Interesting stuff about the multiple relapses in the 1990's. I had always thought that the "Addiction" album was a final letter addressing the past, but the book shows that he wasn't done yet, even then. Amazing, and fortunate, that he's still with us.

Not enough info on some GREAT solo albums for my taste. I wanted to learn a little bit more about Music For the Divine, Building the Machine, and Addiction. And JJ Marsh deserved some words . . .
Old Feb-10-2012, 10:23 PM

zUKUSA

I'm always surprised by folks reaction, that there's not enough about albums, personnel etc; after all, it was always billed as a personal journey and more so, about what caused the path he took, to bring him to where he's at today... I'm sure if there's enough call for it, stories of albums and band members, gone by, will be made in another tomb... never say never, eh
Old Feb-13-2012, 5:17 PM

USA

GREAT book, I really enjoyed it and was sad when it was over. It made me wonder about my own experience seeing Trapeze, though. I established with Glenn when I saw him in NJ, that I had seen him in '76 during the reunion tour. However, I realize that I must have also seen Trapeze before that show, and I'm trying to figure out where. I'd love to know where they played in Houston when they played, prior to that reunion tour. I have a memory of seeing who I remember thinking was a friggin copy band at an outside show, thinking they were doing a spot on Trapeze imitation, and now I'm wondering if that was indeed Trapeze. I also remember seeing Glenn when his hair was long at a Trapeze concert, and I realize now that he had cut his hair for the reunion tour in '76.

This period of time is a little hazy/smoky but now I'm curious as to where I actually first saw him, thinking all this time it was in '76 only - evidently it wasn't just then... I saw him before that, I had to have.

I thank God he made it through and is doing good now.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to strat335 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb-13-2012, 6:11 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by strat335 View Post
I established with Glenn when I saw him in NJ, that I had seen him in '76 during the reunion tour. However, I realize that I must have also seen Trapeze before that show, and I'm trying to figure out where. I'd love to know where they played in Houston when they played, prior to that reunion tour.

It could of been during '72/'73 when they played there... checkout the Tourography to see if it jogs your memory!
Old Feb-22-2012, 6:16 PM

USA

Music Hall, 1973, I think my brother and I saw them with Capt Beyond! Possibly saw them in June, also, I'd like to know where they were.
Thanks David!

You know this is one of my very favorite sites on earth, but my computer is so slow I can barely navigate it....it takes many minutes to get on and move around and post, etc. I can't wait to get a new one, and I will be a better fan than I have been. I miss being able to read and comment on here, I hope it changes soon cause I miss all things GH.
Old Mar-12-2012, 2:30 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by David View Post
A German language edition of the Autobiography is also in the works, to be published around September 2012. More details as it progresses...

The German edition of the Autobiography, "From Deep Purple To Black Country Communion" is now confirmed for publication on
May 11th, 2012
Old Mar-21-2012, 3:21 PM

zUKUSA

Icon42 German edition

Following the great success of the paperback edition of the Autobiography which was licensed by Foruli to Jawbone, Foruli have licensed the rights in Germany to Iron Pages.

The German language edition is to be published on May 11th, 2012.

Here is an image of the back cover, spine and front cover.
Glenn Hughes - cover_German.jpg  
The Following 5 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old May-05-2012, 3:22 AM

Germany

Icon26

Preordered my german edition book of "Glenn Hughes Die Autobiografie"!
Yeahhh!!
The english original was good to read by the way, i did 3 times.

greets
Sigurd
Old May-08-2012, 5:50 PM

USA

Really enjoyed the book. Commend Glenn highly for emerging from the STORM of monumental proportions that he went through, and coming clean, revealing a lot of unsavory material about himself. That isn't easy. Was a little disappointed about the whole "hooking up with Tommy's long-time sweetheart" chapter. I would have thought there'd be some regret there. And after reading Tommy's book it was clear Tommy wasn't over her completely. I wasn't there so it's hard to know how to think about it, but don't you stay away from your best friend's girl? Maybe Karen seduced Glenn to get back at Tommy for him cheating on her, who knows? BUt Glenn ultimately went along with it. I hate playing the moralist, just felt Glenn may have brushed over that topic a bit too quickly. A very painful subject for Glenn no doubt, considering what befell Tommy not that long after. Maybe there was truth to what Glenn said about Tommy giving him his blessing, asking just that he treat Karen well. I just can't get out of my mind the image of Tommy, just hours before he died, calling Karen to ask her to marry him, and she telling Tommy she's going to marry Glenn, and then Tommy just putting the phone down, not even hanging it up, laying there in stunned silence. Tommy's accountable for his own actions - though of course there very well may have been foul play that night originating with Barry Fey, it's just hard for me to endure anything that caused Tommy pain, and I wish Glenn had expressed some misgiving for taking up with his best friend's girl, if that was called for. Not having been there I don't really know. But as a rule.....ya know? But I really should shut up: I' m no one to judge. A youthful indiscretion, and I think psychically Glenn paid, big-time, over the years. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Am I way off base?
Old May-09-2012, 8:36 AM

zUKUSA

Tommy broke up with Karen in March of '76... Karen and I started dating in Sept.

Tommy and I were always friends till the end, he was in contact with us both, via postcards only : there was never a phone call from Tommy to Karen about a marriage proposal.

Karen was, and still is a great girl, we both adored Tommy who we both miss to the core.

There is a lot of speculation out there, and remember its none of my business what people write or say about me. My side of the Street is clean, I have no secrets.
Old May-09-2012, 6:57 PM

USA

i think it took alot of guts to write that book and i for one am glad that u did it glenn
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to tony g For This Useful Post:
Old May-12-2012, 5:59 AM

USA

Glenn - thank you so much for coming on and clearing that up. I really feel for you with the whole subject of Tommy. No doubt it's been very hard for you. I can tell from pictures of the time that you guys were great friends.

Who am I to judge? No one. I wasn't there; I didn't and don't know the circumstances - but thanks for providing them here. The evidently erroneous material in Tommy's book was misleading, and just got me to thinking. I believe you that Tommy had moved on from Karen and that he gave you his blessing. The way I see it - it's probably better to have someone you know and love with your ex than some stranger. I'm sorry that the Tommy book is giving people some false information.

I really am a huge fan of yours - have all your recordings, starting back with when I first heard the song "Burn" - your part really stood out to me. I then got all the Trapeze albums, and everything from then to now. I've driven hundreds of miles several times to see you play, so I really appreciate all the great art you have given to the world. I apologize for anything untrue, thus hurtful I may have said in my last post.
Old May-23-2012, 5:06 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by David View Post
Following the great success of the paperback edition of the Autobiography which was licensed by Foruli to Jawbone, Foruli have licensed the rights in Germany to Iron Pages.

The German language edition is to be published on May 11th, 2012.

Here is an image of the back cover, spine and front cover.

The German edition was delayed but today my order finally arrived. Hooray!
I'm dead curious to read the German version now after I read the original. Here's a snapshot of the contents:

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
013, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1991, 1996, 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, albums, autobiography, bass, book, california jam, cover, Deep Purple, Foruli, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, Jawbone, press, tickets, tommy bolin, tour, Trapeze