g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan-15-2010, 2:16 PM

UK

Originally Posted by David View Post
Nope, soon though

It's not uncommon, but not too worry, meantime, if you want to check them out, feel free by going here and here

David - I have to say I love your cheeky sense of humour - it's right up my street and you have me rolling around loads with some of your responses!!!!!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Jan-15-2010, 3:11 PM

USA

Icon33

Black Country makes me think of Big Country on the one hand, but it also makes me wonder what Glenn meant when he said the band name was appropriate for the group? I suppose they could call themselves Black Cloud, which would be kind of a reference to Glenn's days with Trapeze...but any turn of bad luck with the group would then be attributed to their name. LOL

As for the similar band name/album comments...forty years ago Gary Moore was in the band Skid Row, a power trio out of Ireland. The band recorded three albums which can still be found on CD without too much fuss. And then a decade and a half later comes this band featuring Sebastian Bach called Skid Row...

There was a Canadian death metal band called Slaughter which released a few albums well before anyone had ever heard of a hair band called Slaughter named after its helium-voiced singer Mark Slaughter...

Then there are similar band names like The Faces and the Small Faces...The Who and The Guess Who...Whitesnake, White Tiger and White Wolf...Iron Maiden and Iron Butterfly...Skeleton Witch, Axe Witch and White Witch...Black Sabbath, Black Oak Arkansas, Blackfoot, Black Stone Cherry and Black Crowes...Def Lepp and Led Zepp...ok, you get the picture I can't even remember my point now!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to toadsterama For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-15-2010, 5:54 PM

USA

David, I checked out Blackcountry on their 'my space' page.........WANKERS!!!...plain and simple!!
Old Jan-16-2010, 2:27 AM

UK

"Black Country Woman" is on Led Zeps Physical Graffiti album. Plant himself is a "Yam Yam".

Anyone who came to the Robin2 gigs last year via the M6 at J10 would have driven down The Black Country Route.

I just wonder if some politically correct idiot at a record label thinks they are black guys in a Country group. Or even rappers with attitude!

for more info on The Black Country read the wiki page here.
Attached Images

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to wolfysmith For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-16-2010, 10:51 AM

Spain

Hi,

this new Supergroup is a great new, all all great musicians, Joe is a fantastic guitarrist, Glenn's voice is unique and a great bassist too! and it will be nice if they sing any song of the album together.

Cheers.

Pere
Old Jan-16-2010, 11:47 AM

USA

From Gary Moore's Skid Row's wikipedia page:

Quote:
In 1987 Moore sold the name Skid Row to the American heavy metal band for $35,000.

Sebastian Bach: "When (Skid Row) got signed to Atlantic, Gary Moore heard about it and said we could have the name for $35,000 U.S. dollars. 'We have to pay Gary Moore 35 grand to use the name,' and so we, as a band, did buy the name from Gary Moore. We were all glad to do it because it is a great name for a band. I remember saying, 'Wow, that's a lot of $, but we gotta do it!'"

The Following 6 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Jon L For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-17-2010, 1:55 PM

Austria

Quote:
In 1987 Moore sold the name Skid Row to the American heavy metal band for $35,000.
Sebastian Bach: "When (Skid Row) got signed to Atlantic, Gary Moore heard about it and said we could have the name for $35,000 U.S. dollars. 'We have to pay Gary Moore 35 grand to use the name,' and so we, as a band, did buy the name from Gary Moore. We were all glad to do it because it is a great name for a band. I remember saying, 'Wow, that's a lot of $, but we gotta do it!'"

That's interesting - I never heard about that until now. Common knowledge was that Brush Shiels, Skid Row's bass player in the 70s, sued the American band claiming the name unsuccesfully. I never knew that Moore was involved. I thought the name belonged to Brush Shiels. Might be a matter of bad editing on wikipedia though?

As for the Black Country band name... I think this will have been sorted out when the band is being officially announced Or - as Todd suggests - Glenn & Co. can still call the band Black Cloud, or even Black Country Side - an excellent band called Black Mountain is already out there, you know...

Ch.

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jan-18-2010, 3:56 AM

USA

Originally Posted by chrisloeb View Post
That's interesting - I never heard about that until now. Common knowledge was that Brush Shiels, Skid Row's bass player in the 70s, sued the American band claiming the name unsuccesfully. I never knew that Moore was involved. I thought the name belonged to Brush Shiels. Might be a matter of bad editing on wikipedia though?

As for the Black Country band name... I think this will have been sorted out when the band is being officially announced Or - as Todd suggests - Glenn & Co. can still call the band Black Cloud, or even Black Country Side - an excellent band called Black Mountain is already out there, you know...

Ch.

I remembered reading that quote from Bach in an interview, which is why I looked it up. So, I think the wikipedia entry is accurate, though who knows if Bach's memories of the deal are! As far as the band name, I don't like any band name that starts with "Black". I was just discussing this with someone last month. Not only with classic rock, but with all the new indie bands (like Black Mountain), there are just waaaay too many bands with Black in their name now! But, at least this has some meaning to the band (since it refers to the area Glenn and Jason grew up in). I really don't care, though - it sounds like it will be a pretty cool project no matter what they call it!
Old Jan-18-2010, 7:12 AM

UK

Wink Band Name...?

Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
As far as the band name, I don't like any band name that starts with "Black". I was just discussing this with someone last month. Not only with classic rock, but with all the new indie bands (like Black Mountain), there are just waaaay too many bands with Black in their name now! But, at least this has some meaning to the band (since it refers to the area Glenn and Jason grew up in). I really don't care, though - it sounds like it will be a pretty cool project no matter what they call it!

Maybe they could call the project 'Bon Bon Hughes'??!
Old Jan-18-2010, 12:16 PM

NewZealand

Well, speaking as another 'Yam yam' from the Black Country (although currently half a world away in NZ), I'm pleased about the choice of name. I appreciate that it doesn't mean much to most folks, but it means a lot to me, and obviously to Glenn & Jason too.

Bostin'!
Old Jan-18-2010, 3:00 PM

NewZealand

Well I've checked out some of Joe's stuff on youtube, and although he is a good musician, there's nothing original about what he's doing. It's all been done before countless times. I mean the same old rehashed blues can become rather boring, I love blues based players like Page/Blackmore etc but they had far more strings to their bows so to speak. What is Joe doing that's any different to the likes of a Kenny Wayne Sheperd or Gary Moore as two examples that spring to mind? Thay may as well used Mr Moore and that would have been a supergroup!
Old Jan-18-2010, 3:19 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,713 Posts
Some of you guys have got to stop being so insular, do you really think Glenn would involve himself with and in a project that just relies on what has gone before? I think we can be guaranteed something original and perhaps not what you'd expect from the others involved.

Sure they have a past - but that's my point - this is 2010, not some days gone by, 35 years ago! Remember when Hughes/Thrall first came out; that was way ahead of anything at the time, but there was a nod here and there to their previous outings, but it's not remembered for that, is it! At least, not in my book

Just my 2 cents guys & gals
Old Jan-18-2010, 5:10 PM

USA

david got a point

here is what i think -u guys all know glenn is never gonna sit in one spot -hes gonna keep moving forward -and as far as joining forces with others what always happens?-just like michael jordan he makes every one around him better -hughes/thrall htp fused -he goes and sings a song one someones cd- moonstone -countless others come one u guys i trully believe its gonna be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets see what beautiful new music glenn brings to the world -everybody relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan-18-2010, 7:50 PM

NewZealand

I agree with what you guys are saying, my point being that when a so called "Supergroup" is formed and is surounded by a lot of hype, the expectations are huge. People want incredibly strong songs that will stand up against the greats of the past and hold their own long term. If we look at the likes of "Chicken Foot" and "Them Crooked Vultures" , on paper they're great and should be writing memorable material, but in my humble opinion, they're not! Great musianship is one thing and great songs are another.
Old Jan-18-2010, 9:45 PM

zUKUSA

This guy has an interesting take on things... worth a read

http://rockguitardaily.blogspot.com/2010/01/black-country-real-vultures.html
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-19-2010, 3:35 AM

USA

Insular, eh?.....sorry David, I tend to live in the past.....when GOOD MUSIC was created........
Old Jan-19-2010, 3:56 AM

UK

Icon34

JB is young and very talented and will be a great combo with Glenn. Where it would be rather predictable would have been if it was name form the same era as Glenn.

JB has got for it all me, this is going to be an increidble band, I trust Glenn would not do "any old project" and he clearly feels this is going to be creativley rewarding and push the boundaries or redefine Blues based Hard rock for the 2010's based on great songs with melody, power and great playing, in fact all indicators suggest this will be the case. Bring it on!
Old Jan-19-2010, 4:06 AM

USA

I think some of you are selling Joe short here. I wasn't very familar with him either but I started looking deeper into this guy since Glenn is involved.

He is nothing short of brilliant!! Ver very much in the same way Glenn is. In fact I can't think of an artist who has made me feel that way since I got hooked on Glenn's stuff. His albums are all a different flavor from one another too. He's an amazing guitarist and I for one am glad he didn't link up with one of these older guys just because of a name. This guy is NOW and he keeps getting better. He is considered widely as one of the absolute best guitar player, blues/rock artists in the world if not the best.

I am beyond stoked about this becuase there is so much talent with this band and the possibilities are limitless. It's funny because they are saying the same things about Glenn over at his board. You know "how could Joe get involved with this guy, he's no star etc etc." But they don't know about Glenn and haven't given him a chance. Of course some have.

Take a better look at who Glenn is playing with and I think you'll be excited. I know I am. Plus now I have more great music to listen too! It's THAT good!!!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Forever Young For This Useful Post:
Old Jan-19-2010, 5:04 AM

UK

Icon34

Forever Young: Spot on agreed!!!!
Old Jan-19-2010, 8:12 AM

USA

Icon33

Forever Young, you're so, so right.

I've been following Joe Bonamassa for a few years now, and got to see him perform when he came through town a year and a half ago. He is amazing. Truly. I have two of his live DVD's, all of his albums and even the Bloodline CD that came out years ago before he became a solo recording artist. It seems like each new Bonamassa CD is better than the last. The guy has got passion, soul and chops like nobody's business. Black Country may be touched by the blues, but it is not going to be a blues band. Just as Glenn will bring a bit of funk to the proceedings, but it will not be a funk band. I have every confidence that Black Country is going to be a piledriving, guitarnormous, rifftastic wall of sound with a touch of funk, a touch of blues and a whole lot of hard rock thunder. I'm picturing a mix of Deep Purple, Grand Funk and Led Zeppelin.

Have faith. Joe is not a snoozer like Clapton, or a Stevie Ray clone like Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He's not painting with a limited palette of sounds and style. He's the greatest player to come along in recent memory, and he's gonna kick your collective arses
Old Jan-19-2010, 8:33 AM

UK

It's official: New Band BLACK COUNTRY

I too have recently been checking out Joe B,. admittedly the obvious Ballad of John Henry tracks & they're good!
I think we should all go with Glenn on this one & see where the Funkmeister takes us!!
Good to have something new to look forward to in the summer
Old Jan-19-2010, 8:58 AM

zUKUSA

OK, folks it's official as of today
Old Jan-19-2010, 9:29 AM

UK

Yahoo!

I can't wait! We all know Gelnn only delivers high class - he is an achiever, a mover and a shaker and this will be awesome! I like all the artists! Wasn;t sure if Derek Sherinian was on the bill btu really pleased he is - Dream Theater are one of my fave bands! I love Joe Bonamassa and Jason Bonham speaks for himself! Excellent news and I really can't wait! This will be an exciting path for Glenn!

marieodonnelly's Sig:
Love and hugs xxx
Old Jan-19-2010, 10:24 AM

France

Thanks for the news David

BUT how do you want us to wait till "late 2010" or even "early 2011" ???

This is indeed a great new adventure for Glenn and we sincerely hope that this band will get the media exposure it deserves. We just can't wait !!!

Harry le chat's Sig:
Old Jan-19-2010, 10:32 AM

USA

Hmm I've seen Joe open up for somebody at the House of Blues and he was great. Bloodline was good stuff and I think this project should be excellent. If Im not mistaken he's also recorded with JLT- so he's on these guys radar. He has some potential.
Old Jan-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Finland

Icon37 Joe...

Heh...I was just about to say that Joe Lynn Turner had him first...If I remember correctly he played on Holy Man....album that got Joe Lynn and Glenn together making hard rock for MK III and IV fans...what goes around...

T
Old Jan-20-2010, 2:00 AM

USA

I'm in agreement with that blog from Mr. Conley. I think we'll get totally unique, memorable tunes from this group that will stand the test of time.
Old Jan-23-2010, 1:10 PM

Australia

Icon35

It will be very interesting to hear this new super group.
Anything with Glenn Hughes on vocals, is going to be of exceptional quality.
Old Jan-24-2010, 10:22 AM

UK

Joe is also a fantastic vocalist, hoping to hear some 'burn/stormbringer' type vocal interaction
Old Feb-02-2010, 6:51 PM

zUKUSA

In case you missed it on Twitter earlier from Glenn...

Quote:
I have been thinkin' about Mel Galley a lot lately... I really miss him... Joe played Mel's Les Paul on Medusa on the Black Country album... GH

This is wonderful news, especially as 'Medusa' is one of my favourite Trapeze songs. This is also a very cosmic moment don't you think? Joe B. playing Mel's guitar and Jason B. playing on a song from one of his fathers' favourites - what Glenn must be experiencing right about now, it must be beyond belief, eh!

This is feeling so right... bring it on

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
1st, 2008, 2010, 2015, album, albums, bands, Black Country, classic rock, cover, debut, foreigner, glenn, glennhughes.com, jason bonham, joe bonamassa, journey, organ, robin2, solo, solo album, tour, track, win