g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov-20-2011, 7:46 PM

USA

There's a couple of wierd typos in this book: first Skynyrd's airplane that Glenn says he flew on was a Convair 240- wasn't a jet and wasn't a DC-9- they would still be alive if they were in a jet!!!!! Strange that it lists Glenn's first date with Gabi as March 2001, quite awhile (three- to four months) after their wedding date, this is not possible right?
Old Nov-20-2011, 9:42 PM

USA

Icon49

Finished reading Glenns' autobiography. Wow, couldn't put it down. It answered quite a few questions i had about pivotal moments in his career. Glenn sure endured some deep stuff What i got from reading the book was the hopeful message of change The book itself is one of the finest made paperbacks i've ever owned. Quality materials - kudos to Glenn and the publisher!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to trapezoid For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-21-2011, 11:54 AM

UK

Just browsing Ebay.... there are some idiots around aren't there?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glenn-Hughes-Autobiography-Glenn-Hughes-/190591040287?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2c601c7b1f#ht_1250wt_1139
Old Nov-21-2011, 3:47 PM

Germany

Thanked 1,383 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Denbow View Post
Just browsing Ebay.... there are some idiots around aren't there?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glenn-Hughes-Autobiography-Glenn-Hughes-/190591040287?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2c601c7b1f#ht_1250wt_1139

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
Old Nov-21-2011, 8:52 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,722 Posts
The Autobiography is now at No. 2 (up from No. 4) on the Amazon (USA) Rock Reference chart + No. 17 (up from No. 25) on their Biography & Rock Memoirs chart + No. 11 (up from No. 13) on their Kindle Composers & Rock Musicians chart
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-22-2011, 2:21 PM

Germany

As of today, I'm the proud owner of two GH books. Yes - two!

On Friday, my supplier thalia.de e-mailed me that they have dispatched my book, which arrived today.

Also in the mail was another book, this time posted by geosoulberlin, which she bought for me in London and has been signed by Glenn
This surprise brought tears to my eyes and made me a bit speechless (oh yeah, wishful thinking, some of you might say... )

HEIDIIIIII - you crazy chick ! (Shirl, did you put something in her drink ? )
This is really too much - how can I ever thank you for this lovely surprise! And the beautiful photo card!

Of course you're right: That Glenn mixed up my names Yvonne and lioness and signed it Lyoness, makes it even more precious

Thanks a million for this - it will have a special place on my coffee table.

And - of course - many, many thanks to you, dear Glenn, for making the effort to sign all those books - including one for 'ze ol' broad here

How lovely to find such good friends here! And being embraced once more by the big big Purple family.

lioness's Sig:"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to lioness For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-22-2011, 3:06 PM

UK

Yes - Heidi was on a mission earlier in the day going to all the book stores, to make sure you had a signed copy of the book by the end of the evening. I bought 2 copies at the show as a surprise for friends, and Heidi made sure that one was signed for Kat ... which she'll receive any day now

And Dr Denbow - I saw that book price on ebay. Idiot indeed. Didn't do his homework did he? They only ever see the ££££££ signs.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Shirl For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-22-2011, 4:34 PM

zUKUSA

The Autobiography has reached No. 1 (up from No. 2) today, in the Amazon.com (USA) Rock Reference book chart
The Following 2 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-22-2011, 4:36 PM

USA

Icon32

Originally Posted by trapezoid View Post
........ The book itself is one of the finest made paperbacks i've ever owned. Quality materials - kudos to Glenn and the publisher!

Totally agree. The quality makes up for it not being a hardback.

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Nov-22-2011, 4:44 PM

USA

Originally Posted by David View Post
The Autobiography has reached No. 1 (up from No. 2) today, in the Amazon.com (USA) Rock Reference book chart

This is fantastic news

Congrats to Glenn and all involved
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Shirean For This Useful Post:
Old Nov-23-2011, 6:46 AM

France

totally amazing !!
Old Nov-23-2011, 2:20 PM

Germany

@Lyoness Seems to have been a successful surprise, great! I just love to surprise people...

@Shirl: Oh yes, thanks for reminding me of that "mission"! Still want to write that report about my London trip but I keep falling asleep every time when it comes to describing the many book store visits...

So - first it was the video instead last weekend. And now I'm gonna read the book the next couple of days. The way to and from work on the tube is always too short to get into it. Every time it gets exciting I have to get off again. I nearly missed my station yesterday...

(And tonight I'm just a bit pissed off because I took some great footage of Peter Frampton in Berlin on monday night but the audio is f***ed up as soon as there are more instruments and the drums getting into it a bit heavy. Will have to see what I can do about that. I was probably too close to some speakers again...)

geosoulberlin's Sig:That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock...
Old Nov-27-2011, 9:59 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
Almost bought you the book at the show John, but was reminded that yours was actually on its way finally.

Great that you've now got it

I just read your post from a week ago, thank you for that nice thought Shirl!!!!
Old Nov-29-2011, 9:00 AM

UK

Thumbs up

You're very welcome John. I did buy 2 copies of the book - one for Kat in Orlando, which she received 2 days ago, and the other's on its way to ... as a Christmas gift

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Dec-06-2011, 5:09 PM

UK

David - I've been asked if there are any signed copies of the autobiography available?

Old Dec-06-2011, 5:29 PM

zUKUSA

Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
David - I've been asked if there are any signed copies of the autobiography available?

Only at certain shows - not from the website... if that's what you mean. When shows that will include signings... it'll be made very clear in their announcement. But for now, the answer is No... although I should reiterate, if any folks were in attendance at the recent Manchester (UK) gig... when Glenn returns there in May, he'll be signing any copies that are brought along... more details on that nearer the time.
Old Dec-07-2011, 5:29 AM

Germany

A wonderful read and I can proudly report that I finished it within 2 days (or 2 nights, to be more accurate). I found it really compelling to read about the dark days and how things were going also on a practical side. How Glenn could survive this 20year treadmill is, after reading this book, even a greater miracle to me as it was before.
Old Dec-07-2011, 8:01 PM

USA

book

hi all...newbie here. I hope to get Glenn's book for xmas.
Old Dec-08-2011, 10:11 PM

zUKUSA

Glenn's paperback (softcover) edition of his Autobiography, "From Deep Purple To Black Country Communion", is exceeding all expectations in both the USA and UK.

It's already the fastest selling book the publisher, JAWBONE, has ever published.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-09-2011, 12:00 AM

UK

Well done to all involved
Old Dec-09-2011, 3:38 AM

France

terrific !
Old Dec-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Germany

Icon26

i've got mine on Nikolaustag on the point. And the two nights of reading i 've spent were great headcinemashow.
Thanx to Glenn for this very honestly and selfcritical book, for letting us know all about his life.
Also a wonderful story about friendship, specielly between Coverdale and Glenn.
It is so living written that i'll start reading now once more again.
So all love for Glenn and his people, the new lil dog is sweet!

regards
Sigurd
Old Dec-11-2011, 6:11 PM

zUKUSA

Now also available from Apple's iTunes Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/glenn-hughes-the-autobiography/id478288837
Old Dec-13-2011, 3:47 PM

France

First underground nuclear komment

Hi everyone / co-GHCPs,

It could have been ten times longer, but the book's certainly a fascinating read. A deadly honest one too!

I would have loved reading track-by-track comments on every single GH-related song, like what we have for the three studio Purple albums. I understand the focus was on the rise, fall & resurrection of Glenn as a human being and of his career but, like in may rock biographies, I would have been delighted to read about musical details, though I know that's necessarily for readers who are neither crazy fans nor musicians.

At one point, Glenn mentions using specific chords & I found that valuable! Singing "vertically" while playing bass "horizontally" is something he mentioned in the '90s & that's another example of details that wow me! Don't get me wrong, the book is great as it is, & besides Glenn always answers questions by/for music geeks in interviews.

As for Glenn's opinion on each of his songs or at least albums (most, but not all, at least get a mention in the book itself, i.e. before the discography section), I know we can find that here online but - I'm too demanding I know - I could beg, borrow, or steal for an update!

With BCC & the upcoming solo album, what I'm about to talk about is definitely part of the past, but wouldn't it be terrific to get an overview by Glenn himself on all his '90s/'00s albums & even a few words on (this is a tiny list!) all his collaborations with Downes or Emerson, on the unreleased Hughes-Thrall songs, on the Warners album, on "Made in Moscow", or on his performances on the tribute albums he worked on?

Yes, I know Glenn doesn't (seem to) regard some of these as highly as Trapeze, Mk.III/IV or BCC, which is perfectly understandable but if there's another book which is basically a commented discography, I'll be a first-day buyer!

Cheers.

A, Down - won't somebody help me?
Old Dec-13-2011, 10:11 PM

USA

Hi Cleanouttasight,

the lack of info on the solo albums and the lack of inside info on the music/musicians (Uh, JJ Marsh- who's he? ) is my issue with the book as well. I am going to read it again soon, to be completely honest parts of it were riveting, but to me it's more like Clapton's book, not enough of the joy of music and I'm feeling disappointed. I guess there's only one Keith Richards book- that seems to be the best music bio I've read there's enough drugs in that one to kill 100 people yet it still has enough music detail that it makes me want to go play. And only 250 pages is in Sammy Hagar territory I can read books like this in 2 hours.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to JohnH For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-14-2011, 2:43 AM

France

The JJ Marsh story's a great one, I don't believe all musicians meet one of their main partners at a wedding every day! The four (six with C&F/the Christmas album, that actually is featured in the book, perhaps more) 1999-2003 solo albums are barely mentioned (a few words on TWII & SITKOR if I'm not mistaken, but nothing on ROCK or BTM, not even Can't Stop the Flood) & I appreciated what Glenn said on HTP, but you're right, it's not only about the songs, it's also about the collaborations!

...The stories too; the mystery that surrounds Four on the Floor has always made me wonder what, other than drugs, was going on musically between Play Me Out & Glenn's early Gary Moore adventures.

Above all, I'd be delighted to read Glenn talk about his experiences as a bass/guitar/keyboard playing singer/songwriter. But I guess the music speaks for itself! I haven't read the Keith bio but, come to think of it, most rock biographies don't focus on music on musicians. Shame. * A
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to cleanouttasight For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-14-2011, 4:28 PM

zUKUSA

A good review of the paperback edition of the Autobiography... From Deep Purple to Black Country Communion...

www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=11975
The Following 3 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-15-2011, 10:49 AM

USA

I have thought a lot about this since I read my copy of the book and, given that at one time way back in the early 90's I actually started collaborating with Glenn on an ultimately aborted biography project, I have what is perhaps a unique perspective on this.

Let me say that this is not the book I would have written. More to the point, however, it is not a book that I could have written.

What Glenn has written here is a genuine, personal confessional about his life, spiritual death and ultimate rebirth as a human being, as a soul.

This story, Glenn's real story, is not a historical review of his music or his career as much as it is about his battles with addiction, about his road to spiritual recovery and, ultimately, about his redemption as a living, breathing human being.

My take is this: past a certain point, the point at which Glenn really started to shut down as a person with the onset of deep addiction and psychosis, the music became secondary, even tangential.

It didn't matter anymore, only the drugs mattered.

I have not discussed this with him since reading the book, (though I hope to), but my sense is that this is the story he needed to tell in order to come full circle as a person.

Only Glenn himself could have written the narrative that is chronicled here...

The other story, the definitive history about the bands, the artists, the albums, and the little known side projects, (both those completed and those that were never released - the ones that many have only heard about in passing references in an article here or an interview there), that story still remains to be written in my opinion, and it may just be that Glenn will tackle that one too someday.

Who knows?

Like the book that is out now, however, I am sure it will be an interesting read...

-Marc Fevre
Napa, CA
The Following 5 Funkmeisters Say Thank You to Marc Fevre For This Useful Post:
Old Dec-15-2011, 2:05 PM

Germany

Originally Posted by Marc Fevre View Post

I have not discussed this with him since reading the book, (though I hope to), but my sense is that this is the story he needed to tell in order to come full circle as a person.

-Marc Fevre
Napa, CA

Thanks, Marc! That is exactly what I've been thinking - and you put it into words

Old Dec-15-2011, 2:49 PM

Germany

Icon26

when i read the book, and i'm used to read a lot hardstuff books, i was really shocked in a way that i couldn't realize at first.
Certainly i wasn't surprised much about the detailes of Glenns darkest times, cause i knew some stories with drugs and also dealers and the Jakartastory and the appearing of the boogeymen and all the paranoia.
Ok, what was it?
On one hand an artist who's incredible talented in writing great songs over the decades, singing on the highest level, bassplaying same time, and his bassstyle is unique too. Playing the Fender Rhodes too, that was new for me, a beautiful poet of lyrics not to forget.
On the other hand a desease of selfdestruction, which seems a lil like a compensation of the huge creator of music.
In this dualistic world it seems to be impossible to be one human who's so gifted without paying a price for it.
Don't know if i can explain it right.
There are great artists on the stages who maybe are healthy without alcohol or drugabuse, or addicted to gambling or spending money ( like Mozart,..Michael Jackson),
but perhaps they are arrogant assholes, think they sweat and piss champaign .
Now, i think Glenn is a very humble person still, of course he knows he's a rockstar, no doubt. But when i talked to him i had this feeling deep inside he's still the little boy, who loves football and his dogs and enjoys when everybody enjoys.
Kind of thoughts of a fan of course, i'm always interested into the psychological view.

regards
Sigurd

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
013, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1991, 1996, 2000, 2006, 2010, 2016, albums, autobiography, bass, book, california jam, cover, Deep Purple, Foruli, glenn, Glenn Hughes, glennhughes.com, Jawbone, press, tickets, tommy bolin, tour, Trapeze