g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May-16-2008, 4:31 PM

USA

Icon33 Aint no FUNK in the heart of the city

being that i'm just damn stuborn, I don't have a copy of FUNK yet. that fact is certainly made more unbelievable, since i own a damn music store. my one-stop supplier does not have FUNK. no other music store in charleston has FUNK. this is exactly what i said that i feared all along . NO SUPPORT !! for all of you who have ordered your cd and recieved it, more power to you, but i'm frustrated that nowhere in charleston s.c. can anyone buy a copy of the new cd. This is what i have been talking about for a couple of months now. where is the support fron the lable. what good is a new release doing when nobody can walk into a store, or even own a store and obtain a copy of this cd. it's a damn shame.
so what's the deal Glenn? you know that i love you brother, but w/ the great samples that i've heard, why can't "joe public", or bart "purple music" altman buy your cd in a music store? i have read one or maybe two people that said they got it in a store, but you gotta get on frontiers brother, "cause every place i go , it seems so strange. but w/out your FUNK , baby things have changed" and i've checked everywhere "from the city hall, to the county line"
cheers, peace and love,
Old May-16-2008, 4:44 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,876 Times in 2,730 Posts
What you have to understand Bart is that Frontiers is a very European centric label - as with Glenn's other releases in the past, you're not going to find it in Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc, etc....when it is licensed to a USA based distributor, as was the case for M4TD and Soul Mover, it'll start appearing in places like FYE etc, etc. But until then, you're going to have to search for it....well, not really, since as we've said on here countless times, NEH Records, is the place to get it here in the USA. You order today, and you'll have it in a day or two!

Read through the forums in depth and you'll see this is no different than it has been and so most of us are "used to it"! When he signs to Universal or Sony, it won't be an issue But until then, get online and order it Moaning and groaning is not worth the frustration
Old May-16-2008, 5:14 PM

USA

Icon33 The modern day record buying jungle

I am a 20 minute subway ride from midtown Manhattan. And I can't find most of Glenn's releases in the garden variety music stores here. You have to dig a bit. There is a huge Virgin music store in Times Square with a great selection and Glenn's catalog is well represented there. But, as David said, with Frontier records they make the CD's...but that is about it. I don't even think you could find Journey's last CD in most music shops and their newest one is being sold at...at...I won't EVEN type the name of that horrible place! A great arrangement for them but I will pass..

Slipped Disc is gone..so I go online for many things these days. Amazon is not the only game in town either. I have read here that our friends in Europe have found frustration with Amazon not having the titles in stock.

www.nehrecords.com

Great selection. Great service. You won't be disappointed.

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old May-16-2008, 8:12 PM

USA

Icon47

I've gone the NEH Records route. Tie up at the local shop, wasn't available at this time. Can't wait to hear it, so NEH do yer thang!
Old May-17-2008, 8:02 AM

USA

ok david, after some "moaning and groaning" i've finally broken down and taken your advice. i just placed my order on line.
bottom line is that i just want what's best for glenn, and certainly, it would be good for him if people could just walk into a music store and see a big poster on the wall, showing the FUNK and then be able to walk over to the new release rack and pick up their copy. i guees the world is forever changing, and the way we are forced to buy our music is no exception. it's just a little harder for someone who's made a living working in a music store for the past 26 years to easily accept and embrace the changing world which includes the death of our traditional music stores.
but, such is life. whether we embrace the changes or not, we can't fight or stop the inevitability of the changes.
cheers and peace,
Old May-17-2008, 10:20 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,876 Times in 2,730 Posts
Pleased to hear it Bart If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at this as a sure-fire opportunity, for either you or your long-time supplier! You or they, should get in contact with Frontiers and try become one of their USA distributors, that way you can carry or have direct access to their catalog that obviously, currently includes Glenn. Just a suggestion, at least that way, you can stock those CD's on your own shelves and plaster your store walls with GH promo posters
Old May-17-2008, 4:13 PM

USA

perfect suggestion for bart david -that would be great to walk into a store and see some glenn posters there
Old May-17-2008, 4:41 PM

USA

david, are you suggesting that i take these lemons and perhaps make some lemonaid ? what a concept, i'm gonna have to give that one some thought
peace,
Old May-18-2008, 7:44 AM

USA

Thumbs up

E-mail from NEH, order shipped!
Old May-18-2008, 10:28 AM

USA

Yeah it's a no brainer! NEH is the way to go!

Nobody here should be without this cd at this point.
Old May-18-2008, 12:40 PM

USA

As far as domestic releases of Frontiers albums goes, it's usually Locomotive that has put out stuff here in the US by Jeff Scott Soto and others. I've been able to find those albums in local stores here and there. Not all the time, though. And I would chalk it up to Glenn being part of a niche market when it comes to his fan base, but my God I've seen some of the most obscure stuff that's continually in stock at some places. I don't know what gives..

Todd
Old May-19-2008, 9:04 AM

USA

Icon23 Next to impossible

~ Ain't no FUNK in the heart of the city ~

purplemusic ~
This will be a great song title for the Hughes/ Coverdale
duet - collaboration - compilation CD, as soon as we can "finagle"
these 2 guys to get together in a recording studio..........

Being a loyal customer of Zig Zag records........
(If anybody can get a CD, it's Phil at Zig Zag records)
I got a phone call on Saturday, telling me that he was
finally able to get.....a.....foreign copy of FUNK for me.
He figured that I'll get my copy sometime later this week.

Yes, I've read all of the above posts.
But the bottom line for me, is that this new GH CD situation is: _______________________.

Old May-19-2008, 1:24 PM

USA

yeah Grace,
i know that you and I are probably the last two people on here to be getting our cds, although I've read on here that it is an inexcusable state to be in, but I think that like me, we just wanted and hoped to be able to see it on the shelves of our local music stores.
well, i guees even stuborn music store owners and axe murderers have to break down sometimes and just do what we've gotta do.
take care and peace,
Old May-19-2008, 1:48 PM

USA

Hey Purplemusic,

It's not an inexcusable thing to not have it! But being the fans that we are here of Glenn's music it makes little sense to not have it. Especially when it is so easy to get.

Now on the other hand it isn't so easy for the casual fan or for wouldbe fans. I agree with you that marketing in this country has been abysmal. But that is the way it is with the artists that we really like. Major labels want nothing to do with anything other than sales in the multi millions.

I would love for once for Glenn to have that kind of sucess here or anywhere for that matter. Lord knows he's got it going on. But you being in the record bizz oughta know that this means nothing today. Sad but true.

I hope that you enjoy the disc when it comes. It really is one of the great ones! Get some more for your store and promote the bleep out of it! Play it all day long there. It's doing your part to spread the word about Poppa.
Old May-19-2008, 7:12 PM

USA

Thumbs up NEH Records kicks ass and takes names!!

I placed my order on Friday morning..it shipped the same day and I got an e-mail this morning from the UPS Store that it is waiting in my mailbox....Talk about fast!!

I will go pick up my mail in the morning and enjoy a super size slab of FUNK on my drive down to Virginia.....I can't wait!

Hey Bart...this lemonade is worth making!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old May-20-2008, 9:35 AM

USA

My post wasn't so much about my not having the CD,
but that even with enough pre-release notice from me,
Phil at Zig Zag couldn't get this GH CD as easily as he normally does.

Several of his suppliers had no clue about this new Glenn Hughes album.
And over the years, I've gotten news-breaking calls from Phil that (for example)
Glenn was "guesting" for "Tidewater Grain" which I posted on gh.com.
When Phil gets a list of the new stuff, he calls me up when anything says GH.

So somewhere in this pipeline, somebody forgot to let these usual GH distributors
know about this new album. (Like Glenn needs less publicity?)

Phil was finally able to find only one foreign copy of Funk for me.

Old Jun-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Bosnia

I wan't FUNK!!!

I haven't listened yet,but I can feel that is mighty...

jefco's Sig:
Dance to the R'n'R!!!!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
album, albums, David, glenn, Glenn Hughes, journey, search, soul mover