g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan-03-2006, 7:13 PM

USA

Icon34 We Want Moore! (Gary Moore, that is!)

After 21 long years, I'm finally seeing Gary Moore in concert this spring! As some of you may or may not know, BB King is embarking on his final UK tour in April, and Gary was asked to open all of the dates. I have pined, longed, yearned and hoped to see Gary Moore all this time, and I'll be taking in three of the five dates - Birmingham, Bournemouth and London. Any of the rest of you going to any of these shows?

And while we're talking about Gary, which of his albums is your favorite? RUN FOR COVER, featuring Papa Glenn and Philip Lynott on vocals, is one of mine. A couple others are Gary's underrated DARK DAYS IN PARADISE and the brilliant WILD FRONTIER albums.

I am as passionate about Gary's guitar playing as I am Glenn's singing Thoughts?

Todd
Old Jan-03-2006, 8:01 PM

USA

Those three cds you mentioned are my favorite Moore cds, as well. "Dark Days" took a little getting used to, but it really grew on me. I'm not crazy about his voice, but he has written a lot of great songs.
Old Jan-03-2006, 8:58 PM

USA

Icon34

I agree, Jon. Gary has sung some absolutely wonderful vocals on songs like "Separate Ways", "Wild Frontier", "Johnny Boy", and "Empty Rooms". And then there are others that leave me thinking "Wow, he really shouldn't have gone there" or "Maybe he should look at having another vocalist in the band again."

The odd dodgy vocal aside, Gary is a great songwriter. I like to go back and spin the albums I dont' play as often. I'm always rewarded with a renewed appreciation of many of those songs. And his guitar playing speaks for itself - whether it's the nitro electronica of "Lost in Your Love", the soaring wail of "The Prophet" or Gary's workouts on "Shapes of Things" and "The Messiah Will Come Again", you'd be hard pressed to find a more emotional, impressive or inspired guitarist. And if you can find a more tasteful, well-constructed solo than the superb "Military Man", I want to hear it.

Didn't think so...lol

Cheers...Todd
Old Jan-04-2006, 2:02 AM

UK

Icon34

"Corridors of Power" with Ian Paice and Neil Murray superb rock album, great cover of "Wishing Well" the old free standard.

Saw him live with this line up and it was fantastic. Don Airey aslo played on this tour.
Old Jan-04-2006, 5:18 AM

UK

yeah, Corridors of Power for me, plus We Want Moore live album.

Also, his Collosseum II stuff is top notch for invention and freedom of playing

i saw him support Whitesnake a couple of years ago when he played a real mixture of things including stuff from his Scars project. i really hoped after that he'd start rocking again cos i'm afraid im not into his blues stuff at all.

Not going to the NEC show but i hope to meet up with you Todd as we are only 20 minutes from there. Then i will have met both halves of the "Chip & Todd roadshow"

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jan-04-2006, 8:56 AM

UK

His song nuclear attack is a fave. Saw him at reading festival in early 80s with chalrie Huhn (ex Ted Nugent) on vocals, Paice on drums and Airey on keys and Neil murray and he was superb!!

Also saw him with John Sloman on vocals too which was pretty good.

Not to keen on his blues stuff tho !
Old Jan-04-2006, 12:21 PM

UK

Hi all

Quote:
Also, his Collosseum II stuff is top notch for invention and freedom of playing

I agree,Wolfysmith.I loved the song "Rivers" from Electric Savage & whilst a better vocalist (Mr Hughes,perhaps) would have not struggled with some of the more 'testing' elements of the song,you've got to admire the passion Gary put into it.

Quote:
Also saw him with John Sloman on vocals too which was pretty good.

I take it that's the same John Sloman that used to be with Lone Star,Chris? Do you know if they did any recordings?

Cheers
Ben
Old Jan-04-2006, 2:36 PM

USA

Icon33

Sloman appears on Gary's "Rockin' Every Night - Live in Japan" CD.

Todd
Old Jan-04-2006, 6:35 PM

USA

ill always keep a copy of( run for cover) i have a live video of( military man ) with phil lynot that is one of my favorites
Old Jan-05-2006, 1:10 AM

UK

Icon34

John Sloman sang live only as far as I know, I do have a solo album on CD he recorded but can not remeber its name, must dig it out again.

You could tell the GM was not sure if he wanted a lead singer or not I think he made th erifhrmove by doing the vocals himself even if they were some times a bit dogy.

I think the same applied to John Sykes who I think did a fab job on the vocals.The album Blue Murder is better that Whitesnakes 87 IMOP.
Old Jan-05-2006, 9:51 AM

UK

I asaw Sloman with Uriah Heep in both early n late 1980 and he did nt suit there stuff at all. He did record 'Conquest' with Heep which splits the Heep fans as to whether it is any good.

As far as I am aware Sloman did nt record a studio album with GM.

For Sloman's best work listen to LONE STAR FIRING ON ALL SIX - it is an awesome album and one of my top 5 albums of all time. It has some great rock n funky stiff too. Plus one of THE best lines in rock from Ballad of Crafty Jack.....

'That man he drinking my whiskey, smoking my weed, stole my woman and planted his seed!!!@

For info my other fave albums are in no particular order are.......

Hughes Thrall
Feel by GH
Snake Rattle n Roll by Crawler
Hymns by Corey Glover
Firing on all Six by Lone Star
Old Jan-05-2006, 10:06 AM

USA

There is a Colosseum II Japanese video out there that is simply amazing. Gary simply dominated the stage with his blistering guitar playing and stage prescence.
Old Jan-05-2006, 11:06 AM

Austria

Originally Posted by Ken
There is a Colosseum II Japanese video out there that is simply amazing. Gary simply dominated the stage with his blistering guitar playing and stage prescence.

.... but that's not by any chance an official release?

----------
Also check out my thread here where in one snippet of the interview Moore describes Sloman as a wannabe mixture between Glenn and Todd Rundgren. Very funny.

I liked Sloman's version of the Uriah Heep song "Been Hurt", an outtake from the Fallen Angel sessions - an even better version though with John Lawton on lead is also available.
Conquest imo is certainly Heep's weakest Ken Hensley album.

Sloman's performance on the Rockin' Every Night LP is definitely not a highlight. Then even Charlie Huhn's was a little better, but he disqualified himself because of his ridiculous behaviour on stage (Marquee 1982).

It seems good old GM always seemed to have problems with his singers....
..... Mike Starrs was fired from Colosseum II by the management. The group decided not to replace him and concentate on technically adventurous instrumental music, Gary taking the vocals himself when and where needed ("Rivers", "Castles")
..... Glenn disappeared just when G-Force were formed and two replacements had to be brought in
..... Charlie Huhn
..... Kenny Driscoll (on the Live at the Marquee LP)
..... John Sloman
..... Glenn again - we know the story
..... and the Phil Lynott-Gary Moore relationship is a whole different story...!

It was explained many times that Gary ended up singing the vocals himself (eg on the Corridors of Power LP) to give the audience the chance to identify with him.
Yet the main reason must have been the often disastrous experience with other singers. And Gary's singing certainly had and went on to improve through the Eighties.

Sorry, I'm writing an essay here...

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jan-05-2006, 11:10 AM

Austria

Originally Posted by toadsterama
After 21 long years, I'm finally seeing Gary Moore in concert this spring!
And while we're talking about Gary, which of his albums is your favorite? RUN FOR COVER, featuring Papa Glenn and Philip Lynott on vocals, is one of mine. A couple others are Gary's underrated DARK DAYS IN PARADISE and the brilliant WILD FRONTIER albums.

I am as passionate about Gary's guitar playing as I am Glenn's singing Thoughts?

Todd

Todd,

I had tickets for two different GM shows, one in 1991 on the Still Got The Blues Tour and another time in 1994 for a BBM show at the Jazz Festival Vienna.
The show in 1991 was cancelled because Gary had problems with one of his ears - common trouble for Mr. Moore.
The BBM show was cancelled when Ginger Baker fell off a horse (that I still don't believe)!

Run For Cover, Wild Frontier, Dark Days In Paradise are my TOP 3 GM albums too!

Like the thread!

Cheers,
Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Jan-05-2006, 12:52 PM

UK

Hi all

Christian said:

Quote:
Glenn disappeared just when G-Force were formed and two replacements had to be brought in
..... Charlie Huhn
..... Kenny Driscoll (on the Live at the Marquee LP)
..... John Sloman
..... Glenn again - we know the story
..... and the Phil Lynott-Gary Moore relationship is a whole different story...!

Gary & his 'Lone Star' connections again,Christian - Kenny Driscoll sang on their first album, Lone Star, & was replaced by John Sloman for the excellent ' Firing on all Six'.
I agree with you Chris on the lyrics for 'The Ballad of...'
Cheers
Ben
Old Jan-05-2006, 1:16 PM
schreinermusic

Thumbs up

Great post, Christian!

Ive always been a huge fan of Moore, musicalwise, we all know that he seems to be not the most easygoing person on the planet....

I remember buying this ROCKING EVERY NIGHT LIVE IN JAPAN LP in 83 or so. A real bummer! The versions of "Rocking very Night", "Wishing Well" or even the instrumental "Sunset" (dedicated to Randy Rhoads) really sent shivers down my spine. I would be keen to see the COLOSSEUM II movie clip too, Ken! Gary did also an amazing duet with Jack Bruce on "Corridors in Power" album, doing "End of the World". By the way....the thread is called "We wan Moore"....there was a double live album in 84 or 85 ...cant remember...which I bought and still have....with a mindblowing version of "Murder in the Skies" on it! Great performance!!!!

Its really great to talk about music with you mates since you all seem to have the same CD shelf.... and the same content.

cheers,
Achim
Old Jan-05-2006, 5:46 PM

USA

Icon33

Achim, you're right - that "We Want Moore" album is a great listen! I particularly love Gary's outro soloing on "Empty Rooms" (nice ending vocal by Gary there too) and he really works up some steam on "Shapes of Things".

For a while, I wasn't too keen on the blues albums either. Turning to the blues seemed to fly in the face of his claims that his rock material was redundant But in the years since, I've grown to count some of his blues recordings among my favorites of anything he's done. There's no denying the power of "Story of the Blues", Gary's reworking of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers' "All Your Love", or his instrumental "Blues for Narada". Superb. When the music's played this well, the genre starts to melt away - leaving just great music.

And get a load of this - not only did Glenn record a version of Gary's stellar ballad "Empty Rooms" while he was in Gary's band, but the duo rehearsed "Still the Night" in studio, which eventually was recorded by Glenn on the Phenomena album.

Not only that, but just prior to Gary leaving Jet Records for Virgin, he was planning a tour with a band consisting of Don Airey, Cozy Powell and Jack Bruce. Jet wouldn't finance it, and so it never happened. Gary ended up signing with Virgin Records and moving on to a stint with Greg Lake.

It boggles the mind...

Cheers...Todd
Old Jan-06-2006, 12:15 PM

UK

Talking of Lone Star - i bought Firing on all Six on vinyl back in 1983 or so for 25p at a school fund raising event. Liked it but havent played it since cd's appeared. I seem to remember "From all of us to all of you" was a rip off of the Burn riff, or is that time playing tricks on my mind.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jan-07-2006, 12:16 AM

UK

Hi Wolfysmith

Quote:
I seem to remember "From all of us to all of you" was a rip off of the Burn riff, or is that time playing tricks on my mind.

Yeah, I too have the Lone Star albums on vinyl, & no,your mind isn't playing tricks on you! (to be fair they only used the riff a couple of times, & quite sparingly!)

I bought the '2- albums- on -one CD' package from Amazon last year (?) & so had the benefit of hearing it much more recently!

Cheers
Ben
Old Jan-07-2006, 5:26 AM

USA

G-Force were scheduled to play the Bottom Line in NYC in feb/81 but canceled the show at the last minute.
Old Jan-07-2006, 7:40 AM

USA

Icon33

That would have been something to see! The 'G-Force' album is quite good, except for that fuzzy/buzzy guitar sound. It would have been nice to see Gary Moore do another album with vocalist Willie Dee - perhaps even the 'Dirty Fingers' album. I liked Charlie Huhn's vocals ok, but his periodic shrieking throughout kind of taints what would otherwise have been good vocal performances.

Cheers...Todd
Old Jan-07-2006, 11:46 AM

UK

Originally Posted by chris spencer
For Sloman's best work listen to LONE STAR FIRING ON ALL SIX - it is an awesome album and one of my top 5 albums of all time.

Wow! Forgot all about Lone Star. Fantastic album ... 'Bells of Berlin' ... the memories. What year was that released?

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jan-07-2006, 11:54 AM

USA

Icon33

I must be the only one here who not only does not have the Lone Star album, but has never heard it either.

Todd
Old Jan-07-2006, 12:06 PM

UK

http://www.pchapman.com

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Feb-04-2006, 10:15 AM

USA

Wink Better late than never!

My computer was infested with cybergremlins while this thread was going...now that they have been vanquished, I would like to get a few words in here...

I thought that Gary's guitar playing has always been fabulous but he took some time to really hone his songwriting. I wasn't really familiar with the first few records he did..Corridors Of Power and Victims Of The Future were my first introductions to Mister Moore as a solo artist. I love "Empty Rooms" but thought a lot of the material on Victims was somewhat pedestrian hard rock and Gary's vocals were irritating at times. Corridors had some fine material with a pop bent to it. Run For Cover was a bit disjointed with the diiferent producers and fluid band line-ups. But Military Man will always stick with me as one of those songs where I played it..was totally knocked out by his gorgeous guitar break in the bridge and had to play it again! I had been listening to a lot of Allan Holdsworth at the time and Gary gets that same sax like tone in that solo...just stunning!

Gary's songs were every bit as strong as his guitar work on Wild Frontier though...that album was a knockout!! He goes for the widescreen dramatics on The Loner (check out the original version on Cozy Powell's first solo LP as played by Clem Clempson; it has a Jeff Beck circa Blow By Blow feel to it) and Johnny Boy, Thunder Rising and the non-LP track Crying In The Shadows show a depth only hinted at previously.

I did buy the blues albums and enjoy them...sort of lost track on his current material....but I love the Colosseum recordings!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1980, 1982, 1983, 1991, 1994, album, albums, cover, drums, GHPG.net, glenn, guitar, keys, London, solo, solo album, tickets, tour, track, uriah heep, Video